Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 1:28:12 PM EDT
I have an Aimpoint PRO on my BCM 14.5" and I really like it. I've only taken it to the range 3 times and shot at targets 50 yards out. At that distance it was very accurate once I got it sighted in. Thinking about taking it out to the range next week and giving it a go at targets 100 yards out. Something tells me I'm gonna be all over the place at that distance. I realize that a RDS isn't necessarily a long-range optic. I'm just curious what the consensus is on the accuracy of using an Aimpoint PRO, or any similar RDS, at distances of 100+ yards. I don't see myself shooting at anything beyond 100 yards, except for maybe the occasional hog hunt at my buddy's ranch in which I'd be shooting at targets in the 200-300 yard range. I'm trying to come to a decision on what optic to put on my current build. I really like the Aimpoint PRO and if it's been proven to be a reliable shooter at longer distances I'd like to get another. FWIW, the optic would be used on a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I run an Aimpoint, no magnifier,  on an AK74 and get first round hits on torso sized steel plates at 450 yards.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be fine. Just point where you want to hit. 250 yards should be cake unless you're shooting at a beer can from that distance. After that you may need to start looking at hold overs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I run the same Aimpoint optic in 3-Gun competitions. I have it zero'd for 250yards, at which distance my groups are under 2". I can make hits routinely out to 500M+... last week I made first-round hits no problem on the clock on a 425 yard target at the USPSA MultiGun Nationals. If you have the skill and normal eyesight, making hits on a man-size target with a non-magnified red dot is perfectly feasible out to the maximum effective range of the 5.56NATO round. For many shooters, magnified optics are a crutch.

Some tips:

1) Use a round target a little larger than the dot at your chosen distance. At 200yards I like using the NRA High Power target that simulates a 600yard target... the dot fits snugly inside it, making it easy to center the dot perfectly.
2) Turn the dot brightness down as low as possible while still remaining visible (2 or 3 clicks below maximum brightness works well for me).
3) Wear clear shooting glasses; your pupils will close down, which makes the dot look crisper.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking forward to taking it 100 yds and beyond.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Never had an issue with hitting 100yrd targets, with a PRO, the dot is 2 MOA which is pretty good for longer shots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I run the same Aimpoint optic in 3-Gun competitions. I have it zero'd for 250yards, at which distance my groups are under 2". I can make hits routinely out to 500M+... last week I made first-round hits no problem on the clock on a 425 yard target at the USPSA MultiGun Nationals. If you have the skill and normal eyesight, making hits on a man-size target with a non-magnified red dot is perfectly feasible out to the maximum effective range of the 5.56NATO round. For many shooters, magnified optics are a crutch.

Some tips:

1) Use a round target a little larger than the dot at your chosen distance. At 200yards I like using the NRA High Power target that simulates a 600yard target... the dot fits snugly inside it, making it easy to center the dot perfectly.

2) Turn the dot brightness down as low as possible while still remaining visible (2 or 3 clicks below maximum brightness works well for me).

3) Wear clear shooting glasses; your pupils will close down, which makes the dot look crisper.

View Quote
See number 2 in red above, it makes a huge difference

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some tips:

That's right about where I keep mine, too. Maybe even a click lower. And I have found that this helps quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Your ammo type will also matter.  It's not all about the optic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, I've consistently hit 12" steel targets at 300m just using my PRO on a 16" RRA, and I'm not a bad shot but I'm far from great. I'd say it's more than accurate enough.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It works great for me. Like you said it's not going to do what a scope with some magnification can do but it does surprisingly well.  A lot depends on the size and shape of the target you are shooting at. Something big enough to consistently center your dot on repeatedly will keep groups smaller. Shooting pop can size targets will be a little tougher the farther you get past 100 yards. Torso size targets and adequate size steel plates will be a breeze for a lot farther than you think.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#12]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmVZFaZkHGc
uh hitting targets at a distance was easier for me then with irons.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top