Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 3:25:04 PM EDT
I'm looking for a QD scope mount for my new .300 BLK upper. Going to put one of the new primary arms 1x6 scopes on it.
I like offset, one piece QD mounts.
Obviously Larue and American Defense have great reps but are almost twice as much money as a Burris PEPR mount.
Are they worth it and why? This gun will be dedicated for hunting and range shooting. I don't think the scope will come off much at all but I like the option of the QD. I am leaning towards the PEPR.
Thanks in advance for your feedback/comments.
Best,
Jim
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, just like everything else, you get what you pay for. Granted, I have heard great things about the PEPR mount, but I have heard a couple bad things as well.

Personally, I have used Larue and ADM mounts for a lot of optics over the past 6 years and I have never had an issue with them
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 100 dollar one right next to  a internet auction 20 buck special   and you cant tell them apart.  and both seem to function as designed
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

[/thread]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a Larue 104 with a Nikon M223 2x8. I also shoot about half my ammo with irons, F front sight post and Arms 40L rear. I'm confident when going from irons to scope or visa versa. I only have 1 AR and it gets all the good stuff. A good scope and mount are a good investment in accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, especially if you expect it to hold zero.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I have a number of LT mounts on my ARs and they are worth it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
LaRue is. ADM can piss off.

Sorry not GD.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they are both well made and worth the money. I would also look at Aero Precision (although I don't have any and am making no recommendations as a result) for a more economical option.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Larue then ADM, both worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
LaRue is all I use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot groups at 100 yards plus.  With LaRue or ADM and with the cheap knockoff. Remove and replace and repeat groups several times.  You'll understand  pretty quickly why you pay what you do for LaRue and ADM.  Sub MOA return to zero, every time, over and over.  Rugged construction you can depend on.  Versus junk that might look good, but will not return to zero and will break quickly.   Think Leupold Mark 4 vs. NC Star.  Or Nightforce vs. BSA.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
No experience with ADM, I have heard they make a good mount, but I cannot see myself ever buying a scope mount made by anyone but the good folks at LaRue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
ADM is legit.  All I use...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Worth it, yes.  I'd put the LRT above the ADM though.  Don't hesitate to look at the Bobro.  I actually prefer that over the LRT for return to zero.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Bobro > the other two.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I had Larue's, sold them. If you'll seldom if ever remove what's the point. Use the money saved on ammo, no thanks necessary

On a side note, there is another well liked shooting forum that I and others frequent, Larue mounts are blasphemy there. Here their spoken of in god-like status. To each their own. Worse case you buy it, decide you don't want/like/need it, put it up on the EE and get your money back, they do hold their value.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have greet luck with my larue mounts
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had Larue's, sold them. If you'll seldom if ever remove what's the point. Use the money saved on ammo, no thanks necessary

On a side note, there is another well liked shooting forum that I and others frequent, Larue mounts are blasphemy there. Here their spoken of in god-like status. To each their own. Worse case you buy it, decide you don't want/like/need it, put it up on the EE and get your money back, they do hold their value.
View Quote

Care to elaborate?

I realize there are other quality mounts out there as well, but another "well liked" and reputable shooting forum made up of people who even remotely know what they're talking about - and LaRue mounts are blasphemy there? That makes zero sense at all...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#21]

+1 million they are worth the money when it comes to QD mounts.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Both are good but I prefer ADM, I no longer have any Larue mounts...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I own an ADM that came with my atlas, if it is telling of their other products, I won't buy any.

LaRue has bee solid for me/
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you have dedicated optics per weapon, a PEPR is a good mount, albeit heavier and uglier than the better brands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you have dedicated optics per weapon, a PEPR is a good mount, albeit heavier and uglier than the better brands.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mount.html

The AP mounts aren't much more than the PEPRs, but they weigh significantly less.

Quoted:
I own an ADM that came with my atlas, if it is telling of their other products, I won't buy any.

Telling how? I have the same bipod/mount, and it has been nothing less than rock solid on my aluminum AR rail and my poly M&P15-22.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Telling how? I have the same bipod/mount, and it has been nothing less than rock solid on my aluminum AR rail and my poly M&P15-22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He may have that opinion for the exact reason that I do...the ADM latches feel REALLY cheap to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He may have that opinion for the exact reason that I do...the ADM latches feel REALLY cheap to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly it.

I mean it stays on and does its job... But since it's a bipod and not something that needs repeatability, I see no reason to switch to a LaRue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#27]
There are some larue mounts in walmart.com
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

I realize there are other quality mounts out there as well, but another "well liked" and reputable shooting forum made up of people who even remotely know what they're talking about - and LaRue mounts are blasphemy there? That makes zero sense at all...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

Not going there.

Some like the mounts others don't, thank good this is America.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Both are good but I prefer ADM, I no longer have any Larue mounts...
View Quote
I ran the same test with the ADM mount, the results were not as convincing as the Larue test....not terrible but not incredible. I will be be posting it along with a report about the  PredatOBR in the next few days......I own ADM as we'll so it was an unbiased test.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I would say that yes, they are worth it IF you need the QD feature and will be removing and reattaching regularly.  If you will not be taking it off and on then I'd say stick with something cheaper.  

I would venture that most that have a magnified optic mounted with a QD mount will rarely, if ever, be taking their scopes off, and the mount is simply there for eye candy and Internet bragging rights.

(Btw, I'm not against those who buy expensive cool looking gear just to take pics of and show off to the internet and their friends.  I think that those who get their panties twisted because of this are morons.  Buy your guns for whatever reason you want)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would say that yes, they are worth it IF you need the QD feature and will be removing and reattaching regularly.  If you will not be taking it off and on then I'd say stick with something cheaper.  

I would venture that most that have a magnified optic mounted with a QD mount will rarely, if ever, be taking their scopes off, and the mount is simply there for eye candy and Internet bragging rights.

(Btw, I'm not against those who buy expensive cool looking gear just to take pics of and show off to the internet and their friends.  I think that those who get their panties twisted because of this are morons.  Buy your guns for whatever reason you want)
View Quote

I buy QD mounts for my optics not because I am going to take them off frequently, but because I can take them off if I need to without tools.

Fixed mounts of equal quality to LaRue or ADM QD mounts are not significantly less expensive but they are significantly less flexible in ease of removal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's exactly it.

I mean it stays on and does its job... But since it's a bipod and not something that needs repeatability, I see no reason to switch to a LaRue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly it.

They're the same price. Should have bought the Larue to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually prefer them more for how solid they are and the fact that the mount is locked in and cannot be "bumped" or moved once in place than the QD features.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Any thoughts on Leupold QD mounts?

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They're the same price. Should have bought the Larue to begin with.
View Quote

I actually traded a Larue/harris combo for the atlas/ADM

It was still in my favor, but meh.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Im sorry , you lost me at "Primary Arms in a Larue Mount".....
Yes, LaRue and American Arms are worth the money, but for what you want, look at the Burris PEPR w QD.  Hell, I use one on my big 308 AR
<-----
And it works great

I save the Larue for duty use and high dollar glass.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top