Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 10:15:23 AM EDT
How does the Browe BCO compare to the ACOG?! I know the ACOG's can take a TON of abuse, do the Browe BCO's share the same durability/ruggedness?!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Browe was started by an Ex-Trijicon engineer, so I doubt they're any less durable. My beef comes from the design philosophy and features. Why does it need to be made of titanium? Why does it need a firmware update port? It looks to me like alot of over-engineering looking for a need. If it was simply a AA-powered ACOG clone made from aluminium they could have come in and taken a huuge chunk of the market away from Trijicon. But instead their units cost as much or more than a real ACOG and offer none of the contract heritage that Trijicon possess. And then there's the fact that somehow they though that glow in the dark paint was suitable for reticle illumination on the sport optic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Browe was started by an Ex-Trijicon engineer, so I doubt they're any less durable. My beef comes from the design philosophy and features. Why does it need to be made of titanium? Why does it need a firmware update port? It looks to me like alot of over-engineering looking for a need. If it was simply a AA-powered ACOG clone made from aluminium they could have come in and taken a huuge chunk of the market away from Trijicon. But instead their units cost as much or more than a real ACOG and offer none of the contract heritage that Trijicon possess. And then there's the fact that somehow they though that glow in the dark paint was suitable for reticle illumination on the sport optic.
View Quote

They already offer an aluminum housing version. The Ti was to reduce weight.
http://www.browe-inc.com/products/BTO%252d001-4x32-BROWE-TACTICAL-OPTIC-%252d-5.56mm-NATO-Chevron-Reticle.html

The firmware update port is because the lit reticle in the BROWE isn't just user controlled. It has a detector that assesses the light conditions at the target and adjust illumination to match.
BROWE comes with a QD mount of your choice (at a discounted cost).
I got nothing for the BSO reticle lighting situation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://www.browe-inc.com/products/BTO%252d001-4x32-BROWE-TACTICAL-OPTIC-%252d-5.56mm-NATO-Chevron-Reticle.html

The firmware update port is because the lit reticle in the BROWE isn't just user controlled. It has a detector that assesses the light conditions at the target and adjust illumination to match.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point. Why does an automatic brightness sensor need updating? Are Browe anticipating a shift in the ambient chroma in the near future? What circumstances would require the programming be changed aside from to turn off the auto function, which IIRC is handled by a button on the outside, correct? And the aluminum version still costs as much as a normal ACOG, but you don't get the Trijicon heritage/mil contract heritage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's my point. Why does an automatic brightness sensor need updating? Are Browe anticipating a shift in the ambient chrome in the near future? What circumstances would require the programming be changed aside from to turn off the auto function, which IIRC is handled by a button on the outside, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point. Why does an automatic brightness sensor need updating? Are Browe anticipating a shift in the ambient chrome in the near future? What circumstances would require the programming be changed aside from to turn off the auto function, which IIRC is handled by a button on the outside, correct?
Its electronics are run by a microprocessor so things can go wrong.  The port allows them to fix most chip issues without disassembling the optic.

It has an auto off feature (after a period with no motion, it shuts off). It also has multiple levels of Selectable illumination. I assume the port allows for customization of illumination levels (NV usage for instance). Also, I believe the scope's power source can be used to power other devices, and the chip helps regulate that.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top