Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2014 4:50:11 PM EDT
Yup I got eye issues, namely Astigmatism.  I've tried  to use an Aimpoint, and an EOTech but both were not for me(the dot appeared distorted to me)  I know of the Leupold Prismatic site, but I don't know of any other options for those of us with Astigmatism....well besides irons.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I could look into?
Thank You

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]

I shoot 2-gun for many years with an M4S but eventually
had to give it up due to astigmatism.  My solution was to go to the
Trijicon 1-4x.  With the diopter adjustment, your view will be clear
and sharp of course you will have the 1x to shoot close and the 4x to shoot far.
The FO lit triangle (green for me) is very bright and work very well for the
rapid target acquisition if you shoot with both eyes open.  I have done well with this scope and would
highly recommend it.  It is also one of the brightest 'dot' (really a post
in this case) in even the brightest days and also lightest 1-4x around.

The two small disadvantage is weight which is not too bad, and if you switch
side and shoot from the support side, the diopter is adjusted wrong (unless you
have the same prescription for both eyes) – this is more of a surprise the
first time you run across it than a real problem as you get used to it unless
you have a real tight shot which is rare.

Be real careful choosing your optic as many have ‘lit’ dots which are
hard to see in daylight and many 1-6x which pulls you in with the higher
magnification but with the huge penalty in weight.  It’s a personal choice but don’t buy one
without handling it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with a mini ACOG - TA-44S

It doesn't 'bloom' like a red dot and I can shoot groups at 100 yards smaller than the 2 MOA dot.

It wasn't cheap, even haunting DVOR for a sale.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Good advice posted above.....

Have you tried putting your Aimpoint as close to your eye as possible? sometimes this helps as does turning down as far as you can intensity wise.

Also the VX-R series by Leupold has a very small dot I have found much less blooming with this on their 1-4 versions.

The Leupold circle dot of the CQT is also not too bad in terms of distortion you might give that one a demo and see if you like it.

Since I do not shoot my Aimpoint for precision I can still use it for HD and shooting varmints within my 50 yd range of garden,lawn and surrounding
brushy wooded area...even with a light at night.

Forgot to add that I also have a TA44 with a green circle dot that I have pretty much zero issues with astigmatism wise....

My wife has a T-1 2MOA on her carbine and I have Aimpoint Comp ML-3 2MOA in a Aero Precision mount....I like the wider field of view for me its worth
it to be able to use it quicker than the T-1 (thanks to BCM and a KMR the wt of a little extra optic is not a problem)
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have many issues with my eotechs as long as I keep the brightness turned down. But Red dots are downright miserable for me...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yup I got eye issues, namely Astigmatism.  I've tried  to use an Aimpoint, and an EOTech but both were not for me(the dot appeared distorted to me)  I know of the Leupold Prismatic site, but I don't know of any other options for those of us with Astigmatism....well besides irons.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I could look into?
Thank You

View Quote

I've found that I need an optic with a diopter adjustment.  A 1-4x scope with an illuminated reticle is ideal for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
ACOG, MeProM21, 1-4
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sucks. But like ppl have said try dialing down the brightness. I use it so it's a faint over lay and focus on the target instead of dot.
I would love to try a prismatic though. Just live my ap micros :/ form over function I guess lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
If you run your rear iron sight up with the small aperture, it will allow you to see the dot correctly due to  how it affects the light entering your eye.

I've had the same problem and this helped tremendously. I thought they would be distracting; but they're not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:21:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank You

View Quote

Since other have posted 1-4x scope options, I won't go there.  For 1x, there are a few other 1x prism optics coming out that might give you choices beside Leupold Prismatic.  Burris AR1X and Vortex Spitfire are both glass etched with rear diopter (sp?) adjustment

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Eotechs are actually better as they have less flare, but
having to turn the dot down, or having to look through your iron sights to
tighten up the dot both works but neither is good if you are shooting close and fast
and have to look for the dot.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally have an easier time discerning the center of the 'comet' with an EOTech than an Aimpoint, but I've heard other people say the reverse is true for them. My first optic was a Trijicon RX06 and in normal lighting the triangle was crisp, and even inside the reticle only shadowed a little, it was still clear. That said, if you want a no-nonsense, no-guessowork solution the answer is something that relies on reflecting light off a surface close to your eye, AKA a prismatic or a scope. A 1-4x scope, Trijicon ACOG, Burris AR-332, or the new Primary Arms 2.5x are what you should be looking at.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
For sighting in or precise bench shooting I turn the dot down to where I can just see it and it doesn't distort.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#13]

That is pretty much what I did when I shot the M4s, and of course using the BUIS..

This worked well when I was doing slow fire in a military match.  However, the problem with this is if you are shooting a 2- or 3-gun match, it really does not work so well because it is just slow and of course you are on the clock.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good advice posted above.....

Have you tried putting your Aimpoint as close to your eye as possible? sometimes this helps as does turning down as far as you can intensity wise.

Also the VX-R series by Leupold has a very small dot I have found much less blooming with this on their 1-4 versions.

The Leupold circle dot of the CQT is also not too bad in terms of distortion you might give that one a demo and see if you like it.

Since I do not shoot my Aimpoint for precision I can still use it for HD and shooting varmints within my 50 yd range of garden,lawn and surrounding
brushy wooded area...even with a light at night.

Forgot to add that I also have a TA44 with a green circle dot that I have pretty much zero issues with astigmatism wise....

My wife has a T-1 2MOA on her carbine and I have Aimpoint Comp ML-3 2MOA in a Aero Precision mount....I like the wider field of view for me its worth
it to be able to use it quicker than the T-1 (thanks to BCM and a KMR the wt of a little extra optic is not a problem)
View Quote

I have a leupold cqt on my 458 socom and have no complaints at all whiloe its not the status que its very durable and the glass is very clear . if you watch the e.e. you can find them for 500-600 dollars
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top