User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So I purchased a Holosun RDS from Primary Arms in April.  I know there some reviews on here but I wanted to add a review for those interested in the application for an AK variant.

First I wanna say that Primary Arms is quick with shipping and great with Customer Service.  Kudos to them, Id recommend them any day of the week.

Secondly,  this sight is small, stream lined,  super light weight (compared  to my Vortex Sparc), and  looks BA.

However,  even though it could co-winess the sight  sucks.

adjustiing  the knobs sucks, the measurement "clicks" suck.  On the range I had to pay really close attention when adjusting it, otherwise it would spin like crazy. So 60 rounds later I was able to put a few rounds on paper at 15 yards! Now most of you are gonna says its because it's an AK right? Well this same rifle is punching 1" groups at 100 yards with the Vortex Sparc using the 2x magnifier it came with...so enough said on that.

It didn't matter in which direction I adjusted the red dot, even maximized it in all directions...and nothing. So I feel a little heart broken cause it looks really good on the rifle, the weight is just right, and it looks like a real tac driver. But honestly I wouldn't give this sight to my enemy.  I might put it on an air rifle that I would just hang on the wall.  And all this has nothing to do with PA. Those guys are awesome, but as soon as I got home I reinstalled my vortex.  I would go to war with the vortex, I can't tell you how many rounds I have down range with it or how many rifle courses I've ran with it. Never let me down.  Lesson learned, when you have something good. Stick with it.

Oh, another product that looks great but performs horrible...the Samson K-rail Model 1. I've given this thing so many chances, and it always slides forward after 20 rounds. So I'll be chucking that one as soon as I get the Krebs UFM long rail.
View Quote
You lost me there.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There was not a hard stop in the turret design so you could go off track while adjusting. Not a problem once zeroed.  A redesign will add a hard stop. The next shipment we get will have that
View Quote

The Holosun red dot optics are now back in stock.  So, was the hard stop issue resolved with this current shipment?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Love my Holosun RDS. Will be getting 1 or 2 more.   Marsh1 if you could tell the Holosun guys to reduce the red glare it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there any way to mount this at absolute co-witness? I was thinking low mount and a UTG mid-rise mount but I would much prefer their mount, just .17" or so lower.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there any way to mount this at absolute co-witness? I was thinking low mount and a UTG mid-rise mount but I would much prefer their mount, just .17" or so lower.
View Quote

I logged in to ask the same question. I'd prefer a lower profile.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, my HS403C co-witnesses with Troy Micros using the low-profile mount and a 1/2" riser.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered one of these a couple weeks back (direct from HoloSun as Primary Arms was out of stock). Overall it seems like a nice little optic, bright enough, though my T1 is still brighter.

However, mine has what I consider to be pretty much a fatal flaw in my eyes: The Holosun distorts the image down a fair amount, creating opposing images in my eyes when viewing both eyes open (which is the way I shoot with an optic like this). It is bad enough that it is almost like looking both eyes through a 1.1X low powered variable, or that is what I can closest compare it to. My T1 on the other hand has either no or so little distortion that my eyes view the image as one. This is a big problem for me with the Holosun. I would be totally and completely satisfied if it weren't for this issue but is a big one to me. I don't know if I got a bad one, or if it just the way it is. Anyone else experience this with theirs??

Pics for reference, red line added to illustrate distortion...

HoloSun:

T1 (4MOA):

I will probably try to return it, or exchange maybe if this appears to be an anomaly. I hope that is possible with ordering from HoloSun and not PA...
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I assume that's a parallax issue; perhaps you could find something straight at 10Y, 20Y and 50Y and see if and when it gets closer to dead on.  

I'm REALLY intrigued by the SOLAR version (since I live in sunny FL), and don't mind parallax as long as it clears up by 10Y or so (I've seen RMRs that were a bit wonky until 15-20Y)...any real need for sub-10Y defensive shooting, and I bet I won't be using the red-dot even if I claim to have used it in the after action report.  ;o)  ARs point-shoot very naturally (as do AUGs) for me.    

Keep updating us on these!!  
I'm a T1 guy who will be a T2 guy in the near future, but I've been wanting a $100-$200 red dot for an upcoming .22 AR pistol build (with the SIG brace).
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I assume that's a parallax issue; perhaps you could find something straight at 10Y, 20Y and 50Y and see if and when it gets closer to dead on.  

I'm REALLY intrigued by the SOLAR version (since I live in sunny FL), and don't mind parallax as long as it clears up by 10Y or so (I've seen RMRs that were a bit wonky until 15-20Y)...any real need for sub-10Y defensive shooting, and I bet I won't be using the red-dot even if I claim to have used it in the after action report.  ;o)  ARs point-shoot very naturally (as do AUGs) for me.    

Keep updating us on these!!  
I'm a T1 guy who will be a T2 guy in the near future, but I've been wanting a $100-$200 red dot for an upcoming .22 AR pistol build (with the SIG brace).
View Quote

Nope, it's the same at all ranges. To me it's even more disorienting at distance because the same degree of downward image offset is more actual linear offset at range. This optic is unusable for me with both eyes open... which sucks because otherwise I really like it. Going to inquire about a return...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ordered one of these a couple weeks back (direct from HoloSun as Primary Arms was out of stock). Overall it seems like a nice little optic, bright enough, though my T1 is still brighter.

However, mine has what I consider to be pretty much a fatal flaw in my eyes: The Holosun distorts the image down a fair amount, creating opposing images in my eyes when viewing both eyes open (which is the way I shoot with an optic like this). It is bad enough that it is almost like looking both eyes through a 1.1X low powered variable, or that is what I can closest compare it to. My T1 on the other hand has either no or so little distortion that my eyes view the image as one. This is a big problem for me with the Holosun. I would be totally and completely satisfied if it weren't for this issue but is a big one to me. I don't know if I got a bad one, or if it just the way it is. Anyone else experience this with theirs??

Pics for reference, red line added to illustrate distortion...

HoloSun:
<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/HoloSun_zps068ecd0a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/HoloSun_zps068ecd0a.jpg</a>

T1 (4MOA):
<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/OR_05Taco/media/T1_zps90b163d0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/OR_05Taco/T1_zps90b163d0.jpg</a>

I will probably try to return it, or exchange maybe if this appears to be an anomaly. I hope that is possible with ordering from HoloSun and not PA...
View Quote

Hey Marshall,

Can you weigh in on this?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The design does give a slight shift of the image but there is far less parallax shift of the dot as you move your head than anything else we have tested, at any price,  As a result in use these are very accurate. There has been no issues reported in use shooting with both eyes open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Marshall,

Can you weigh in on this?

The design does give a slight shift of the image but there is far less parallax shift of the dot as you move your head than anything else we have tested, at any price,  As a result in use these are very accurate. There has been no issues reported in use shooting with both eyes open.

Mine definitely gives much more than a slight shift of the image. The T1 is slight, the HoloSun makes me see dual images when looking down range. Trying to capture this binocular problem in a monocular image is difficult, but I think these new pics do a little better job:

The T1 image is so close that I only see one and there are no issues. The Holosun I get two distinct images and have to pick which one to put the dot on, and it's not always clear which one is the right one (if that makes sense).

Marshall - does this offset look the same as the ones you have on hand? I have to decide whether I want to return or exchange this sight. If they are all like this then they are of no use to me... thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
^ 1st pic has the better foreground roofline, 2nd pic has the better background roofline difference.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Does that slight shift through the glass throw off an iron sight zero that was established before putting the optic on the rifle?  For instance, I've got an eotech that has no change in POI between shooting irons through the glass and shooting with the eotech completely removed.  Can anyone weigh in on that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#19]
A bit late to the response party, but... I took my HS403C out yesterday evening to fine-tune the zero (and get my irons zeroed), and I saw nothing to the degree of what AJBello describes. I looked pretty damn hard for it, too, both at the range and at home. No issues with shooting both eyes open, either. I will say that my eyes did have a bit of a harder time tuning out the tube than on some of my other dots, so there is probably something to the image shift issue. I will investigate further as I can. It could very well be that if affects some people more than others.

My irons co-witnessed like they do on every other rifle... dot was on the tip of the front post.

My dad was shooting way to the right; not sure what was going on there, but it might have been a non-optic issue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 403C and there is definitely distortion in the lens.  It is some what variable based on the distance of the sight from your eye as well as the distance to the target.  On my AR-15 mounted at the front edge of the receiver, the distortion was only noticeable when looking at things at inside of a house distances.  When I first read the post about it, I thought mine does not do that.  Well it does, but I had to look for it to see it.

The sight is now on my Buck Mark.  With the sight farther from my eye the distortion is more apparent, on close or far targets.  That said, I only notice this when I am not shooting the gun.  Even dry fire practice where I am target focused, I do not see this.  The H403C has so far proven to be an excellent sight, and I do not believe this detracts from its value.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We are testing the solar ones now and will stock them once it passes our tests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you guys notice any distortion from the glass?  I ordered the solar cell verson directly from holosun. Its like looking through a magnified optic, i start seeing double image about 3 to 4 inch from my eye looking thru it with boths eyes open. Doesnt happen with other red dots i have.

The solar cell works well, its on 100% solar when you turn off the red dot. Brightnes

The customer service from holosun is good, they ship me a 2nd one to try but its got the same problem. They offered me full refund.

We are testing the solar ones now and will stock them once it passes our tests.

I'm considering the solar powered Holosun as a back-up unit, so looking forward to your assessment here.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick update on my returned sight... I got the following e-mail after Holosun received it:
----------
I just receive your return RDS. our accounting already process the refund full amount 169.99 to you. you will see in your credit statement in few days.
I am sorry, this one is really bad, I have few HS403A in my hand, there is a little bit shift. but yours is way worse than average, I will send this one back to manufacture to have more deep investment.
This issue will really help us on this optic quality control. it should not happen again. In order to show our appreciation, We will send one more good one to you FOR GIFT for you. I have to wait an other shipment that new batch will have new adjust of object lens. Wait for few weeks, I will keep my promise sending you one HS403A for free.
Best Regards,

Dale Li
Vice President
HOLOSUN TECHNOLOGIES INC.

----------
The full refund already hit my CC and they sent a pre-paid label to ship the sight back. Though I am disappointed with the initial sight and lack of quality control, they sure did take care of the issue and were relatively easy to deal with. That e-mail was from 7/24, no word on the free replacement yet. I am satisfied with the free label and refund... if another sight really shows up then that will be a bonus (and I'll update if / when that happens).
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick update on my returned sight... I got the following e-mail after Holosun received it:
----------
I just receive your return RDS. our accounting already process the refund full amount 169.99 to you. you will see in your credit statement in few days.
I am sorry, this one is really bad, I have few HS403A in my hand, there is a little bit shift. but yours is way worse than average, I will send this one back to manufacture to have more deep investment.
This issue will really help us on this optic quality control. it should not happen again. In order to show our appreciation, We will send one more good one to you FOR GIFT for you. I have to wait an other shipment that new batch will have new adjust of object lens. Wait for few weeks, I will keep my promise sending you one HS403A for free.
Best Regards,

Dale Li
Vice President

----------
The full refund already hit my CC and they sent a pre-paid label to ship the sight back. Though I am disappointed with the initial sight and lack of quality control, they sure did take care of the issue and were relatively easy to deal with. That e-mail was from 7/24, no word on the free replacement yet. I am satisfied with the free label and refund... if another sight really shows up then that will be a bonus (and I'll update if / when that happens).
View Quote

Good on them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
----------
Best Regards,

Dale Li
Vice President

----------

Good on them.

+1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
My HS403C seems to have distortion on the left/right plane, now that I've investigated further. No impact on shooting both eyes open at 25m.

I am split on whether I'd buy again, but it works fine for my Glock SBR. I think I'd encourage them to eliminate the distortion even if it means they take a hit somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Hello, a small update, I was one of those that purchased 403C solar model on release day directly from holosun, and have noticed bad distortions.

today I received a HS403A non solar model from holosun. happy to say that it is distortion free.   I noticed that the front lens on the 403c solar mode have a very steep angle, and on this 403a non solar mode  have just a slight angle like most other red dots. I believe this is the culprit that is causing the distortion.

I am waiting words to see if they have "fix" the lens on new production solar 403c models.

403C solar model foreground on AR15
403A battery power background on 870

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I was pretty interested in trying one of these out, any idea why they show discontinued on Primary Arms site?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
----------
Best Regards,

Dale Li
Vice President

----------
View Quote

I received a new HS403A from Holosun today. This one is absolutely distortion free... very happy with it! Now that I can compare the Holosun and my T1 side by side without the distortion, I think the Holosun's dot is somewhat crisper / cleaner actually. I really like this sight; I think if you get a good one it's a good option. QC appears to be maybe lacking but the customer service was great.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#30]
What is up with these? I see it has them as discontinued on the PA website?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#32]
The fact that you guys are getting back distortion-free replacement sights is making me seriously think about complaining to them about my L-R distorted HS403C. I actually love the thing, but I may as well get the best I can. I really have no problems recommending it if they've licked the distortion issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The fact that you guys are getting back distortion-free replacement sights is making me seriously think about complaining to them about my L-R distorted HS403C. I actually love the thing, but I may as well get the best I can. I really have no problems recommending it if they've licked the distortion issue.
View Quote

Yep mine has has that distortion... but it really doesnt have any impact on accuracy or performance.  I would like a distortion free one... but I dont know if its worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
any word on the new side mounted battery units...? availability, distortion, mounting, etc....?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Count me in on being interested in either the side mounted version or the bottom mounted version.

Take my money!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Any news or reviews on the new models with the battery compartment on the side?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Mine is awesome!  Used a half inch, QD riser to co witness.  Looks great!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#41]
When are you posting a YouTube vid detailing the optic?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I got the Holosun HS403G in the mail this week and finally got it mounted and to the range today.  It fit my Aimpoint T1 mount OK but a little tight. I had to file the mount a little to make it fit.  After I finally got it mounted I put 80 rounds of 7.62x39 through it today and it worked well and held zero.  I'll keep everyone updated if anything changes.  The auto wake-up feature does not turn on when I pick up the rifle but it has worked each time I've picked it up(after 8 hours of inactivity) and charged a round.  A little shake would work just as well but I have been testing it by running the action because if something goes bump in the night I have to do it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Does the new side battery version have a kill flash available?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#45]
8hrs submerged underwater is definitely "extreme weather conditions".  

What is the waterproofing/resistance on the PA 3X LER gen3?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Newest model not in stock!!!

Easy to access side mount battery and universal mount capability!!!

https://www.primaryarms.com/Holosun_Paralow_HS403A_Parallax_Free_Red_Dot_p/hs403g.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Count me in on being interested in either the side mounted version or the bottom mounted version.

Take my money!

https://www.primaryarms.com/Holosun_Paralow_HS403A_Parallax_Free_Red_Dot_p/hs403g.htm

Did you make it to the factory?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take my money!

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Will Primary or Holosun have this item at the Irving gun show this weekend available for demo? I would have to see one functioning before making the purchase. My concern is the parallax free claim.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes. Been there twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take my money!

Yes. Been there twice.

Have you done a thread about it here or in industry? I did a cursory search. Sounds like a cool inside story.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top