BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Thinking about picking one of these up and using this mount. Should provide absolute co-witness. Anyone have experience with these mounts?   http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=30&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You can probably use the low base mount it comes with and then get this MOUNT to co-witness.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I did see it, but when you focus on the target and not on the dot it goes away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Plan on getting one and get the Samson mount with the pa 3x long eye bundle to go with it what mount to line them up do I need to add the 7mm to it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm might have to snatch a couple of these. One for the AK and one for the slug gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Come on somebody.  Bit the bullet and beat this thing up so we know how tough it is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a dumb question, but what are the major known (set aside build quality/ruggedness) differences between the Holosun and the PA ASRD that is the same price?  Just smaller size and weight?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

that is a great mount. love mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
But you shouldn't have to drop another $85 plus shipping to get absolute co-witness. Should come out of the box then add a shim for lower 1/3. Maybe Ill wait for a gen 2 on my next build.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to see someone take one of these and put it through a reasonable rough and tumble test ..... not necessarily the same thing as the Daniel Defense torture test video with the aimpoint micro but close ...

Quoted:
Maybe a dumb question, but what are the major known (set aside build quality/ruggedness) differences between the Holosun and the PA ASRD that is the same price?  Just smaller size and weight?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would love to see someone take one of these and put it through a reasonable rough and tumble test ..... not necessarily the same thing as the Daniel Defense torture test video with the aimpoint micro but close ...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be running one late June at a 2 day class. I'll let y'all know what happens.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#13]
This is my placeholder for a n issue I have. It's 1:30 am and my ass is going to bed. I'll edit tomorrow evening to clarify.  Until then...

Marshal and his company are top notch. I look forward to their assistance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But you shouldn't have to drop another $85 plus shipping to get absolute co-witness. Should come out of the box then add a shim for lower 1/3. Maybe Ill wait for a gen 2 on my next build.
View Quote

Agreed, absolute cowitness + lower 1/3 shim would be preferred.  Since the mounts are proprietary are there any near future plans for additional mounts?

Would love to see a youtube video of someone putting this through its placed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Any updates on user experiences with this RDS?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Took mine out today. Held zero, very clear glass and nice dot. The brightness is great but the auto-on feature is fairly insensitive.

Put 200 rounds down range, very pleased so far.

I actually created an account just to comment on this thread, annoyed me that no one has given feedback yet.

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Sorry, there is some dirt on it in the last pic. They may not have photoshopped that picture showing the dot, it does appear that way on my camera too but in person it looks like a normal red dot.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
What will it take to mount this to a Ruger 10/22?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

A section of rail on the receiver and the low mount version of the RD.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Marshall,

I'm not sure if you answered this already but will you be having a similar model under your brand?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/XMI1022SM1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/XMI1022SM1.jpg

Will this fit the factory weaver rail?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weaver/picatinny, while not exactly the same, should both work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Absolutely love this optic. Bought it a cpl weeks ago and made it to the range past sat.  Ran thru transitions, run n gun, different stances and anything else I could expect out of it.  flawless.  The kicker?  It was raining.  No fog, no leaks, nothing.  I am so impressed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is my placeholder for a n issue I have. It's 1:30 am and my ass is going to bed. I'll edit tomorrow evening to clarify.  Until then...

View Quote

So....   Day15
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#25]
For those of you looking for a return to zero rugged QD mount, at absolute cowitness height,  I suggest that ADM may have something.  I was wanting such a mount for the somewhat similar Lucid M7 microdot.  With some measurement I was able to determine that with that optic I would need a .600" riser to get an absolute cowitness, which was what I wanted.

Turns out that the ADM AD-170 VPG mount is .600" high.  Here is the Lucid microdot in that mount.  Perfect absolute cowitness with standard height backups.  If the HoloSun uses the same height riser, it would work, too.  You would have to measure to be sure.  Regardless, ADM makes a lot of different height inserts for its QD mounts, and probably will have what you need.  You do not need a T-1 base pattern to have a return to zero QD.  Just a Picatinney comparable base on the optic.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
So I purchased a Holosun RDS from Primary Arms in April.  I know there some reviews on here but I wanted to add a review for those interested in the application for an AK variant.

First I wanna say that Primary Arms is quick with shipping and great with Customer Service.  Kudos to them, Id recommend them any day of the week.

Secondly,  this sight is small, stream lined,  super light weight (compared  to my Vortex Sparc), and  looks BA.

However,  even though it could co-winess the sight  sucks.

adjustiing  the knobs sucks, the measurement "clicks" suck.  On the range I had to pay really close attention when adjusting it, otherwise it would spin like crazy. So 60 rounds later I was able to put a few rounds on paper at 15 yards! Now most of you are gonna says its because it's an AK right? Well this same rifle is punching 1" groups at 100 yards with the Vortex Sparc using the 2x magnifier it came with...so enough said on that.

It didn't matter in which direction I adjusted the red dot, even maximized it in all directions...and nothing. So I feel a little heart broken cause it looks really good on the rifle, the weight is just right, and it looks like a real tac driver. But honestly I wouldn't give this sight to my enemy.  I might put it on an air rifle that I would just hang on the wall.  And all this has nothing to do with PA. Those guys are awesome, but as soon as I got home I reinstalled my vortex.  I would go to war with the vortex, I can't tell you how many rounds I have down range with it or how many rifle courses I've ran with it. Never let me down.  Lesson learned, when you have something good. Stick with it.

Oh, another product that looks great but performs horrible...the Samson K-rail Model 1. I've given this thing so many chances, and it always slides forward after 20 rounds. So I'll be chucking that one as soon as I get the Krebs UFM long rail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Deleted. Misread post
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I put one on my M92 PAP and it was pretty quick to zero out , clicks werent like my PRO... but they were there and usable. It doesnt Co-witness.. but I dont give a crap about that anyway. 200 rounds and its holding zero... if it gets to 500 it should be GTG. This Holosun RDS has a less obstructed and less constricted FOV than the SPARC also. Optically  the Holosun is right on par with the Aimpoint micro. Crappy phone pics

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Currently torn between this and the PA Micro red dot.

Will be for a 15-22 so not getting overly serious about it but...

Holosun appears to have clearer glass, 2 MOA dot preferable(for me), lower profile emitter (from pics)

PA Micro Red dot-mount options!  Would love to set the chosen red dot for this rifle in the Fortis mount, long standing positive reviews of PA Micro dot all over you tube

Decisions decisions
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Currently torn between this and the PA Micro red dot.

Will be for a 15-22 so not getting overly serious about it but...

Holosun appears to have clearer glass, 2 MOA dot preferable(for me), lower profile emitter (from pics)

PA Micro Red dot-mount options!  Would love to set the chosen red dot for this rifle in the Fortis mount, long standing positive reviews of PA Micro dot all over you tube

Decisions decisions
View Quote

I have never used the PA dot but it seems (from pics) that the emitter is visible but it is also cheaper. I gave this Holosun a shot because of the invisible emitter, the very slim profile ,  the auto on and the 50k batt life. If something is amiss and it turns out to be crap.. P.A has warranty backing on it  and they have top notch service.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So....   Day15
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So....   Day15

Sorry. I've been busy with life. The optic, when first mounted, was pointing very left. When attempting to zero, at 15 yards, rounds weren't landing on normal sized paper. Horizontal adjustment was so stiff, had to use a flathead instead of the cap. After 90 rounds and still impacting about 2" to the right, I looked at the glass. The part that moves with adjustment was maxed out to the right. I contacted Marshall and they got me a new one to my door within a few days. Also provided me with a new shipping label to return the old one. I will be zeroing the new on e next week.

Otherwise, I really like everything about this red dot. VERY light, clear and unobstructed view. If this o.e zero's without issues, I may buy another.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#35]
So i've had a chance to play with this optic a bit, and have found it good.

Some information.

I have astigmatism... so the only thing that leads me to a red dot is the weight difference of my Leatherwood HiLux CMT 1-4 with the Burris PEPR QD mount. It’s 26 oz. DAMN.

So with this optic, I’m cutting 22 oz. NICE. But for my eyes, I really struggle with the dot looking like grapes, but it’s my eyes, even corrected. It’s usually great outside.

I’ve played with this at the indoor range and found the following.
1.The mounting screws come loose all the time. They need blue Loctite. This is lacking in the manual.
2.The adjustments are spot on. I have a 25y range, and found the adjusted zero to be accurate.
I took it out to the mountains today, measured out 50 yd and here are the results.
I was shooting with the sun behind me, and DAMN the “red reflection” was prominent. Holding my hand over the optic to shield the incoming sunlight at my back was necessary. I was also seeing double dots witwh this sunlight (astigmatism). After a good hundred rounds of M193, I had it dialed in AND understood how to place the dots as my eye sees them (vs what non astigmatism eyes see)
After zeroing and used it to re-zero my BUIS shot an inch group at 25y. NICE.
Then I took it off and used the 1-4 for comparison at 50y.
I took it off and put it back on 3x, verifying that it held zero. IT DID.
I am extremely pleased with the optic. Really had some fun on some 1-5 drills with it.
A good option.
I’m heading out for some PD fun in a few weeks, will try it at 100-200 and see how it does vs the 1-4 but I’m surprisingly confident that it will perform.

Other notes:
1.The optic has a mode that is undocumented. It seems like a “brightness lock” if you hold down the plus sign for a few seconds. That appears to lock out the brightness settings. It is odd that this is undocumented.
2.The Loctite issue… not cool. Seriously affects zero. Recommend they mention this, as the service life of the battery exceeds the life of the optic… why not Loctite?

Irons zeroed to Holosun..

Site

RedDot 50y

Leather wood CMT 1-4 50yd..
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice write up!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nice write up!
View Quote

thank you! Due to astigmatism I've been on the fence with all red dots at any price point. Weight and eye relief are key.
I looked at all and for the money, the lack of parallax is key. The glass is quite clear outdoors. Not at all though compared to the leatherwood cmr... but relativity is key.

I'm trading not 100% "clear" for 22oz

It's really clear for that...,dont notice it outdoors.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Got mine this morning, feels very solid and well built.  When I get home I'm going to paint it to match it's new mate Unless Marsh chimes in & tells me it will void the warranty
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Had mine out at the range this weekend on a 300 Blackout build I was ensuring worked. It was a true pleasure to use. No reflection was really noticable and the glass looked very clear.

It's deceiving because if you look through this in doors you may see some reflection, but outside this thing is great. LOVE the weight, auto on/off, and the excellent adjustment buttons.

This thing is excellent at the price point. I've decided to sell the upper it was on though, so I'm trying to decide if I still need the optic or not. Tough decision because I REALLLLLY like it, but just don't have an upper for it right now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#40]
For the ones that it wont adjust.  If you tap the turrets after making a click or two, the dot moves.  So its something wrong inside.  I sent mine back and quickly got a new one.  Great CS at PA.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I got mine today and put it on my Adams Arms Carbine.
-Glass is clearer than my Aimpoint Micro (very blue).
-Sighted right in.
-Nice positive clicks on the adjustments.
-Held zero for 75 rounds that I shot after I zeroed.
-Seems very well built and solid.
-So far very happy.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Are there any quick flip caps for this?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I got mine on wed, just got around to posting the pics today.  Overall I'm impressed.  Build quality appears good, optics are clear ad the dot is good.  IF it holds up to use (and I think it will) it is a steal of a deal at under $200.  Like others have mentioned I wish it took a t-1 mount but at this price point for the features and battery life I'm willing to make that trade off.

Came in a nice "Aimpoint looking" box.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/Box_zps63778bfd.jpg

Both wrenches, batteries, short mount and cleaning cloth included.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/contents_zpsdd50f611.jpg

Here is a really crappy picture "camera shake" of what it looks like apart with the battery inserted.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/inside_zps12883bdc.jpg

Here are a couple pics of it on my SBR.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/sbr1_zps92658f4a.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/sbr2_zpsa3d12b63.jpg

I didn't take the camera to the range but it zeroed easily and held zero throughout a 300 round shooting session.  I like the lower third cowitness.  At this point I'm very pleased with the purchase.
View Quote

Does in say on the box where its made USA or China?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Reflections are there if you look. Take it to the range and go shooting. You will quickly see a dot on the target and nothing else. Tint vs no reflection is a balance. A T-1 is probable the best balance and there was a thread yesterday where someone sent his T-1 back because of the reflection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got mine on wed, just got around to posting the pics today.  Overall I'm impressed.  Build quality appears good, optics are clear ad the dot is good.  IF it holds up to use (and I think it will) it is a steal of a deal at under $200.  Like others have mentioned I wish it took a t-1 mount but at this price point for the features and battery life I'm willing to make that trade off.

Here is a really crappy picture "camera shake" of what it looks like apart with the battery inserted.

I didn't take the camera to the range but it zeroed easily and held zero throughout a 300 round shooting session.  I like the lower third cowitness.  At this point I'm very pleased with the purchase.

did you see the red reflection that some people are complaining about?

Reflections are there if you look. Take it to the range and go shooting. You will quickly see a dot on the target and nothing else. Tint vs no reflection is a balance. A T-1 is probable the best balance and there was a thread yesterday where someone sent his T-1 back because of the reflection.

This is what I found to be the case.  Works great out at the range

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No question it is made in China. Marshall at PA is clear about this. Mine seems to be an excellent unit. 200 rounds so far and it has been perfect. Less blue tint than my Aimpoint Micro and feels as sturdy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you guys notice any distortion from the glass?  I ordered the solar cell verson directly from holosun. Its like looking through a magnified optic, i start seeing double image about 3 to 4 inch from my eye looking thru it with boths eyes open. Doesnt happen with other red dots i have.

The solar cell works well, its on 100% solar when you turn off the red dot. Brightnes

The customer service from holosun is good, they ship me a 2nd one to try but its got the same problem. They offered me full refund.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the HS403C (solar) optic, and it's been working fine for me. Not quite as efficient at using ambient light as I'd like, but I'm given to understand the SRS has a bit of the same problem. No problems using it with both eyes open, either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I continue to be impressed with my Holosun red dot. Took it off my Adams Arms carbine today to put a magnified optic on for a few mags, then reinstalled my Holosun. It returned to perfect zero. I now have 400 rounds of 223/5.56 with the Holosun and it has held zero perfectly. Dot is super clear and crisp as is the glass.

It is waterproof to 10 ft, 50,000 hour battery life, and seems very well made. I don't know if it will hold up to the abuse of an Aimpoint micro, but it appears to be just as well built as my micro, and for 1/4 of the price of an Aimpoint, I will definitely buy another! Super happy with the Holosun. Just hoping for a QD mount to be available soon.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top