Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
is there still a manual on button as a fail-safe to the auto-on not working?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I decided to take one for the team on this one. Will update when I receive and get to test it out.
View Quote

Same here, I will be using it this Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered. Will see.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
This is certainly a new one to me.  I'll be looking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
How durable is it?  I love the look, the size, and the price as well as the battery hours, but if I drop it and it break - if you get where I am going with this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nothing in the works
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any plans on bundling it with a different mount soon?

Nothing in the works

How about an option for ABSOLUTE co-witness...???  Thats all I need to pull the trigger on a few of these.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How durable is it?  I love the look, the size, and the price as well as the battery hours, but if I drop it and it break - if you get where I am going with this.
View Quote

I think what the boss is trying to tell you is it is pretty durable and suitable for home defense, range work, hunting, maybe even a carbine class but not for use
in a combat environment like Afghanistan....

For "moderate" use this is well suited for extreme use it is not....

A person could speculate and say that if on an imaginary 'hard use' scale of 1 to 10....an Aimpoint T-1 in a Bobro mount breaks at 8.75 but a Primary Arms dot breaks at 5.75

So if you want yours to last just make sure you don't take it over 5.0

Of course this is purely speculative on my part.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#11]
T1 base compatible would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure why the manufacturer didn't think of this. He would've sold a lot more units if that were the case.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't get where you are going. It is very durable will stand up to normal use including shotguns. If you abuse it the warranty will not cover it. Is that what you are asking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get where you are going. It is very durable will stand up to normal use including shotguns. If you abuse it the warranty will not cover it. Is that what you are asking.

Marshall, I think he's wanting to know if it'll withstand drops/bumps, accidental falls from a weapon maybe falling out of a truck. Heck anything. Could be getting out of a truck and accidentally hit it on a door, enter a building and hit it. I think he's just meaning rough use in general.

I'm going to order one to try out, but I do have the same concerns. If the optic is used and gets knocked around or hit on things (Not on purpose of course) will it keep on trucking, or will it just stop running?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure why the manufacturer didn't think of this. He would've sold a lot more units if that were the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree with you guys and am a die hard Larue QD mount user, you have to consider that the mount needed might need to be slightly different due to the battery being below. The existing mounts don't have the space required. But with that said, you're also saving weight. The Holosun with AR base is lighter than, going with the example earlier, a t1 with Larue LT660. Though other mounts that aren't QD may be close to the holosun weight. (I don't know the weights but Seekins, DD, etc...)
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While I agree with you guys and am a die hard Larue QD mount user, you have to consider that the mount needed might need to be slightly different due to the battery being below. The existing mounts don't have the space required. But with that said, you're also saving weight. The Holosun with AR base is lighter than, going with the example earlier, a t1 with Larue LT660. Though other mounts that aren't QD may be close to the holosun weight. (I don't know the weights but Seekins, DD, etc...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah yes, didn't think about the battery compartment on the bottom. That nixxed the whole aimpoint mounting idea. I hope he comes out with a solid return to zero qd option at a later date though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree, however most mounts will get pretty close as long as you repeat the same steps each time you mount the optic. ie, making sure to push the mount forward against the same rail slots.

And with that said, just placed an order for one of these sights. I'll be one of the brave few and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#17]
My thoughts after reading everything: What everyone wants to know is... Is it an aimpoint durable optic can I drop it run through the woods banging it on every other tree along the way. Which it probably is not at that price point.
A 2 MOA dot is nice to see for a budget priced optic. I think we all dislike the auto 8 hr shutoff feature because we all want to leave it on (why not with a 50,000 hour battery life). I think we could all agree we all want a killflash.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My thoughts after reading everything: What everyone wants to know is... Is it an aimpoint durable optic can I drop it run through the woods banging it on every other tree along the way. Which it probably is not at that price point.
A 2 MOA dot is nice to see for a budget priced optic. I think we all dislike the auto 8 hr shutoff feature because we all want to leave it on (why not with a 50,000 hour battery life). I think we could all agree we all want a killflash.
View Quote

It is always on, for all intents and purposes. Grab your rifle and it turns on automatically. Just gives more life to the LED. Don't see a problem with that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#19]
FYI - Received my Holosun Red Dot today. HS400BAR. Ordered Saturday and received today. Awesome packaging. Complete with CR123Abattery, two Allen wrenches to mount. Knobs to zero sight and laser. Auto shut off after 8 hours. Push button for brightness setting. Beautiful design quality. Mounted on 300 Blackout. Zeroed in five shots. Zeroed laser in three shots. Parallax free. Quick release lever. Submersible to 100 feet. 50,000 hour battery life. 2 MOA Red Dot. Mounted in seconds to Picatinny rail.  Plan to mount 3X magnifier with flip out mount. Let me know if any questions.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone received the HS403 (T1 style) yet?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep. Works like a t-1 and looks better to my astigmatism. Time will tell. zeroed with a few clicks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yep. Works like a t-1 and looks better to my astigmatism. Time will tell. zeroed with a few clicks.
View Quote

How clear is the glass?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]
More tint than a t-1 in bright sunlight not noticable in indoor range. other than that, no distortion at all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine today. Seems nice so far once I figured out the battery install. Will give a range report soon. What do you guys want pictures of?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got mine today. Seems nice so far once I figured out the battery install. Will give a range report soon. What do you guys want pictures of?
View Quote

The mount, battery compartment, adjustment knobs, brightness settings, and glass tint if possible. Showing how the optic sits in regards to the irons when looking through the tube would be nice, too.

I sent our friend MrGunsnGear a request on YT. If he picks one up, we'll know for certain if it's any good.

...Tell y'all right now, if it's as good as the rest of Primary Arms stuff, I'll be getting several. I've recently decided on an AK and needed to get a nice, low profile optic, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Any creative dremel- holics (or even real machinists) may want to try modding a T-1 mount to fit these. Could be interesting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Got mine today, and the glass is way clearer than my Bushnell T25.   When the auto on comes on, it is at a low setting, so in bright daylight, one will have to turn up the brightness, at the highest setting, there is some reflection inside, but I doubt any body will need the highest setting.   It is really light, even with the mount and there is an extra base, if you use that one, you can get a UTG medium riser mount and it will be co-witness, instead of 1/3.   The battery it comes with is a Sony, so it's a good battery, also comes with cleaning cloth, bikini cover and Allen and torque wrenches.   Will see how it does on my AR on Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got mine today, and the glass is way clearer than my Bushnell T25.   When the auto on comes on, it is at a low setting, so in bright daylight, one will have to turn up the brightness, at the highest setting, there is some reflection inside, but I doubt any body will need the highest setting.   It is really light, even with the mount and there is an extra base, if you use that one, you can get a UTG medium riser mount and it will be co-witness, instead of 1/3.   The battery it comes with is a Sony, so it's a good battery, also comes with cleaning cloth, bikini cover and Allen and torque wrenches.   Will see how it does on my AR on Saturday.
View Quote

That's what I was hoping to hear. I hated how much tint there was with my TRS-25.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any plans on bundling it with a different mount soon?
View Quote

Nothing in the works
View Quote

How about an option for ABSOLUTE co-witness...???  Thats all I need to pull the trigger on a few of these.
View Quote

I ordered one from PA and got it the next day (today).

My only other red dot experience is with the Sig branded red dot that came with my Sig P556 SWAT. PA sells one that looks identical. SInce my red dot experience is very limited I can't give you much comparative information, but FWIW, what follows are some newbie first impressions.

Battery:
As has already been said, you remove the base plate to install a single coin cell batter (CR-2032, I think), putting it between two flaps. Kinda weird looking but works fine. The battery cover is a rubber cap rather than some sort of screw in plate. This is fine because when you put the mount back on, it is pressed solidly against the opening. Having never seen one of these before it took me about 10 minutes to install the battery. It's no big deal.

On/Off: Operation:
Simple. Pick it up and it turns on. There are two buttons ( "+" and "-") that control the red dot intensity. Press both at exactly the same time and the power turns off. If that is too much effort or you forget, it will turn itself off after 8 hrs. There is some sort of built in delay after you turn power off, during which you can move it around and it will not come on. I don't know how long that period is but I assume that pressing both buttons simultaneously turns the power on as well as off. I have not yet tried it, though.

Mounting:
The Holosun comes with a high and a low mount. I used the high mount and put it on my YHM upper (also from PA, similar to this. I mounted it with the rear of the sight roughly even with the barrel nut. In this position it gives a nice bottom 1/3 co-witness. I don't know whether my eyes are tilted or the front sight is but they seem slightly out of alignment for some reason. So do my other guns so I think the issue is me.

Zeroing:
I took it to an indoor range and shot 30 rds. of 5.56 62 gr. starting at about 10 yards, setting the windage, and then taking out it to progressively longer distances out to 75 yds, while adjusting the elevation. I won't comment on the group size because this rifle is capable of accuracy far beyond my abilities but at 75 yds from a bench rest with no magnification and sub-optimal lighting, I had a pretty easy time getting the rounds into a paper-plate sized area.

Overall impression:
No buyer's remorse at all. Since I am a novice at red dots, my recommendation means little but my first impression is that it's a decent red dot for the money. It's small, simple to operate, and gets the job done. For absolute co-witness I think it would take a slightly shorter mount but maybe there is a riser available that in combination with the low mount would give absolute co-witness.

It costs twice as much as the Sig red dot. The Holosun actually might be in the neighborhood of being twice as good when considering size and features, but definitely not twice as effective. For anyone on a budget I think the PA red dot that is like my Sig red dot is a very good choice. It's bigger but It works well and stands up to the recoil of my VEPR-12 shotgun with no problem. For those wanting a smaller red dot sight but not wanting to spend what it would take to get an Aimpoint, my first impression is that this might be a good choice.

I hope this helps.

BTW, no flip-up lens covers--it comes with a bikini cover set like my Sig red dot.

For the TLDR; crowd: I got it roughly zeroed, running 30 rds of 5.56 62 gr., and it did the job. Very simple to operate, comes with high and low mounts; high mount gives lower 1/3 co-witness. I did not encounter any issues.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I was hoping this would be a holographic sight considering its called HOLOSUN.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]
so with the see thru mount are there back up iron sights you can visualize through it?  Not that I would much but I always like to have a second option.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

so with the see thru mount are there back up iron sights you can visualize through it?  Not that I would much but I always like to have a second option.
View Quote
Think about that for a sec...

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure what your suggesting I'm overlooking here?  I'm asking about micro/low height sights that might be visible through the mount under the optic.  I've shot UMP's with eotech's that have a similar set up among others.  Sure you could run sights like everyone else, I just wondered about alternatives.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
not sure what your suggesting I'm overlooking here?  I'm asking about micro/low height sights that might be visible through the mount under the optic.  I've shot UMP's with eotech's that have a similar set up among others.  Sure you could run sights like everyone else, I just wondered about alternatives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cheek weld would be horrendous, painful even.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Fix the mount shortcomings and I am in on one of these Holosun micros
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fix the mount shortcomings and I am in on one of these Holosun micros
View Quote

I second this. Not one for proprietary mounts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Mike_P is exactly right on my question -sorry I was not more elaborate.  I just wanted to make sure for the price I am getting the best bang for my buck.  I have been on the fence on saving up for an aimpoint micro, but I am not in a military environment for overly rugged use.  As said above I just wanted to make sure if I accidently bump into something tree while hunting, or accidentally drop the rifle out in the woods I will not have a broken sight - I am overly precautious. I completely understand voiding the warrenty if I throw it out of a moving car, smashing it with a hammer to test its durrability ect - not in my play book.... Just hunting, and range, that is all.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Marshall

Hey I am a HUGE supporter of Primary Arms.  Its the first place I look for all of my purchases.  I currently own 6 of your MD-06 dots.

This one is obviously a "STEP UP" and I am VERY interested.  My hang up is that I am a firm believer in "ABSOLUTE CO-WITNESS".
Do you have ANY plans at all to offer this new RDS in an absolute version??  

Sincerely..??
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Marshall

Hey I am a HUGE supporter of Primary Arms.  Its the first place I look for all of my purchases.  I currently own 6 of your MD-06 dots.

This one is obviously a "STEP UP" and I am VERY interested.  My hang up is that I am a firm believer in "ABSOLUTE CO-WITNESS".

Sincerely..??
View Quote

Here's a for real data point that I can give you. It does not answer you question completely but here goes. I put the Holosun on my SIG P556 SWAT pistol last night and took it to the range tonight. The top of the front sight post is pretty much centered in the Holosun view. That doesn't mean it will do the same for all rail/sight combinations but it works on this one quite well.

ETA: pics

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're overlooking the fact that you are on the AR15 forum of the web site.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

While we do have a close relationship with Holosun this is not a PA Micro. I will bring it up to the factory owner when we meet next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marshall

Sincerely..??

While we do have a close relationship with Holosun this is not a PA Micro. I will bring it up to the factory owner when we meet next week.

Thank you very much.....that is all I can ask. Here's to hoping.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks interesting, but I lost that interest once I read that it wasn't compatible with T-1 mounts. Why anyone would put one of these on the market thats not compatible with the mounts of what has become the standard is beyond me. I need something in a low QD mount for an AK. Since I'm not going to get a co-witness with the rail I have, a QD mount was the next best option. Screwing one to the rail would require a tool of some sort to remove it should the need arise, so the available bases for this one are a no-go for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I would go that route but I already have the ZenitCo setup, which wasn't cheap! Considering how hot the gas tube can get, I wonder how long it is before an optic can become medium well done???I have also never liked having the weight of an RDS   that far forward. I plan on getting the Americn Defense AD T1-L with a PA removable base micro. I'm not too big into the necessity of have a RDS co-witness with the irons, if the dot sight is on a QD base. If the need arises (dead battery or dead sight), pop it off there and carry on, and theres no worry about the irons being a distraction or on the way. Right now I have a fixed base micro on there and its nice, I just want the QD "just in case".
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I got mine on wed, just got around to posting the pics today.  Overall I'm impressed.  Build quality appears good, optics are clear ad the dot is good.  IF it holds up to use (and I think it will) it is a steal of a deal at under $200.  Like others have mentioned I wish it took a t-1 mount but at this price point for the features and battery life I'm willing to make that trade off.

Came in a nice "Aimpoint looking" box.

Both wrenches, batteries, short mount and cleaning cloth included.

Here is a really crappy picture "camera shake" of what it looks like apart with the battery inserted.

Here are a couple pics of it on my SBR.

I didn't take the camera to the range but it zeroed easily and held zero throughout a 300 round shooting session.  I like the lower third cowitness.  At this point I'm very pleased with the purchase.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got mine on wed, just got around to posting the pics today.  Overall I'm impressed.  Build quality appears good, optics are clear ad the dot is good.  IF it holds up to use (and I think it will) it is a steal of a deal at under $200.  Like others have mentioned I wish it took a t-1 mount but at this price point for the features and battery life I'm willing to make that trade off.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/Box_zps63778bfd.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/contents_zpsdd50f611.jpg

Here is a really crappy picture "camera shake" of what it looks like apart with the battery inserted.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/inside_zps12883bdc.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/sbr1_zps92658f4a.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/sbr2_zpsa3d12b63.jpg

I didn't take the camera to the range but it zeroed easily and held zero throughout a 300 round shooting session.  I like the lower third cowitness.  At this point I'm very pleased with the purchase.
View Quote

Looks promising.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/Box_zps63778bfd.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/contents_zpsdd50f611.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/inside_zps12883bdc.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/sbr1_zps92658f4a.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h122/KYtechmike/sbr2_zpsa3d12b63.jpg

View Quote

did you see the red reflection that some people are complaining about?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top