Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2013 8:07:01 AM EDT
So my brother needed a sight for his rifle, and I decided to give him my PA Micro (great little sight), which was residing on my TacSol .22 M4 Upper. After a little tweaking the .22 runs great and is my go to range gun because let's face it, ammo is expensive.

I wanted a replacement for the Micro, and I honestly didn't know what I wanted. I already own an Aimpoint Micro (an R-1), and an EoTech 512. I love both of my sights, but didn't feel like putting up the cash to have the same sight especially for a gun meant to be "cheap". I heard from a few different places that the Lucid HD-7 is a decent sight so I sort of impulse bought it for $190 from amazon. After a week it arrived and I put it on my rifle and put about 300 rounds through it.

First impressions:
1- Beefy...heavy, but well balanced
2- Seems durable, and I like the FDE rubber "armor"
3- It was easy to put in the battery (takes one AAA), advertised 1,000 hour batt life
4-Auto adjust works instantly and is very good. Although I wish the sensor was in front of the adjustment knob
5- Manual brightness mode works as advertised
6- Mounted up nice and solid.
7- My favorite reticle is the circle/dot or just the dot (2moa). My buddy liked the T reticle the best
8- All of the caps are secured with a wire cable which I really liked. Makes it a lot harder to lose a cap.

Range impressions:
1-Easy to zero, adjustments were simple and quick
2- I like easy change between reticles.
3- The LED emitter protruded into the optic, but it didn't bother me at all. Very small protrusion
4-It is at a perfect height for shooting. I used it for reflex drills and had an easy time acquiring targets.

Issues:
1- Washout. I had to switch to manual when shooting from in the shade out to the bright sun. Even then I wished it could go even brighter. My EoTech washed out worse though.
2- Turning off the optic manually is a pain. Holding it for 4 seconds to turn off would sometimes work and sometimes not work. It has a 2 hour auto shut-down though so I am not too concerned about it
3- It definitely needs a kill flash. They are sold for the optic but damn they are expensive.

Conclusion: Very well thought out optic that performed well for me. I don't know about long term durability (would like to see a torture test but I don't want to trash mine). For a budget build it fits the theme of being cheap but decent. I would say it is 80% the quality of an Aimpoint or EoTech at half the cost. For the money you get a great sight. 9/10

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The Lucid HD7 Gen III is a great sight. It is well built, feature rich (auto brightness, switchable reticles) and has an integrated mount. Common AAA battery power is great (use lithium). The price is very nice. My only complaint comes from my years of EoTech use. The Hd7 gives me somewhat of a "looking thru a hole in the wall" effect after using the heads up display of the EoTech. Honestly though, I'd have no problem running the HD7 on a duty rifle. Its a very nice optic. Mine is on a 15/22 which means it gets more "bang and clang" time than anything else. It has held up fine (better than I can say for several of the Aimpoints I've owned/been around) over the years. A friend I shoot with also runs an HD7. His experience has paralleled my own.

Here's a thread I did over at the S&W Forum. Sorry to link offsite, but I don't have the pics hosted anywhere else. Lucid HD7
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Got one (Gen III).  Love it.   Agree with comments above.   I also have the kill flash, which works well.  There is also an ADM sourced QD upgrade, that, while pricey, is very well-made and makes a nice addition.  I move back and forth between the red dot and a scope in LaRue QD's so, I can say that the mount does return to zero very reliably.

One nice feature not mentioned above is the range of reticles.  The "Chevron" reticle is one of four you can choose from.  You sight in at 100 yards with the dot.  The tip of the Chevron is dead on at 50.  I've not ranged the lower dots yet.  A hold anywhere inside the upside down triangle will be a hit out to 100. The "T dot reticle may be the most useful, especially if you want to shoot at longer ranges and have a tendency to cant the rifle.   The circle dot is EoTech-ish and practical for CQB, or you can just run the regular dot.

This is a very durable, rugged, well thought out scope.  It's a bit heavy, but with that slight increase in heft comes solid construction.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top