Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2013 7:33:34 AM EDT
First off does any one have pictures of 4, 7, and 9magnification in the VX-R series scopes?

I can't decide which route i want to go. The rifle will be used mainly at the range in a 50-100yd scenario, it will likely never see anything like 3 gun or fast target to target acquisition, and i want it also to be good for a SHTF situation.

I plan on using a WARNE RAMP mount scope with a 45degree offset and a red dot to support that, probably a trijicon RMR.

Pretty sure 3-9 is overkill, but ive not thought abou the 2-7 much until recently.

Rifle:

16" Wilson Combat, Flutted Barrel, 1:7 Twist

Thanks for your opinions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have also been thinking about Leupold VX-R 2-7 myself.

So tag....
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought a 4x12 and I love it.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
when i get into these are the Pros Cons and Concerns

1.25-4 patrol
Pros - Can use as a pure red dot at close ranges, pick up the rifle and go, no requirement for a separate 45* sight, and the SPR reticle is set up the way i like it, it also comes in the matte finish which fits my needs
Cons - Distance, my eye's aren't great and ill mainly be shooting this at the range sitting down so a little more power feels good

2-7
Pros - It's cheaper... could still use up close.... magnification... more light
Cons - not ideal for up close target acquisition, reticle not the one i want, shinny, gold parts

3-9 patrol
Pros - Magnification, superior control at distances, has the reticle i want
Cons - Price and requires a separate 45 offset up close sighting system
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
found this review of the 1.5-4  with pictures

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136078
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Also it looks like the ability to adjust for windage is only available ont he patrol version with the turn knob exposed up top, where as the non patrol versions you have to take off a cap? Can anyone confirm?

Also here are the reticles:

The 3x9 vx-r patrol isnt shown but here it is:

liking it
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
1-4x is good to 300Y.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1-4x and I love it the resolution is outstanding IMO.
Your on your own with magnification I would say 1-4x if its your SHTF rifle due to the 1.25 setting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, I have the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X Patrol SPR Illuminated reticule with a LaRue LT-104 QD mount and for my old eyes it's about the best of both worlds for me. Most of my shooting with it is 50-350 yards and it works great.  I still use my Aimpoint T-1 out to 150 but like the Leupold better. For a scope it's light (11.5oz) and fairly compact as well. Good Luck with your decision....
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish they'd make a 2-7 with the Pig Plex reticle. The thicker posts make it much easier to pick up in my opinion. It also has tracking hashmarks and BDC. I honestly think it's their best traditional reticle for a quick low mag optic.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
unless you want to put really tiny groups on paper, 1-4 is fine. If all you want to do is keep all your shots on a silhouette 4x is gonna be good for quite a bit more range than 100 yds. I own both a 1-4 with the fire dot circle and a 3-9 patrol with the tmr reticle. I wish they would offer the spr reticle in the non patrol scopes. I like the spr reticle but I really dont see a need for exposed turrets on a 1-4. If your not going to shoot past 300yds you will probably never touch the turrets, and if you need to its not that hard to unscrew the covers. If your going to shoot past 300 on a regular basis your probably going to want more magnification. Also dont expect the 1x to be like a red dot, Its still a scope, while it works pretty well for shooting up close its not the end all solution.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top