Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:52:58 PM EDT
Hey all,

Unexpected expenses have hit over the past couple of months and dug into my fun money, but I still need to pick up a starter mil/mil scope.

Right now, I'm looking between these three:

BSA Tactical 4-14x44mm Side Focus

Millett Tactical TRS-1 4-16x50mm Side Focus

Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP

Granted, all these are low-end, budget affairs, but do any of these three come out as the obvious choice to you experienced guys? The Primary Arms is a bit of an unknown, historically, but they seem to be building a good reputation for price. That, and the FFP is appealing.

To rehash, this will be going on a 5.56 AR with mix of precision paper punching and coyote/varmint hunting.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Another to consider:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Gets excellent reviews and offers big-time bang for the buck.

Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Another to consider:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

This.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the BSA FFP you linked to...  while it's a BSA, it's certainly of better quality than the "typical BSA crap".  Adjustments are kinda mushy, but it does track true from my testing.  However, I'd think twice before putting it on anything more than a .22LR that you plan to shoot from the bench.  Mine sits atop one of the Ruger 10/22's we have to allow my son to get experience with a FFP optic without getting their mitts on my USO's.

So my question are:  Do you NEED FFP?  Do you NEED a variable power (or can a 10X fixed work)?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

a ARFCOMMER i shoot with has this scope, he shoots ragged holes with a heavy barrel Bushmaster 20" "DMR" i put togther for him. very good scope for the money, the Weaver glass is very crisp and clear, OP you can't go wrong with this optic
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Save some pennies and wait for this to go on sale:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/vortex-viper-hs-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-5-15x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Viper PST glass and Turrets at a very reduced price.  I paid $450 for my new one a couple weeks ago.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. Seems like every day someone mentions another scope I wasn't aware of.

Seems like I'm only becoming more and more uncertain of what to go with as I look further into this.

As it stands, my absolute hard stop is at $400. I can't go past that, so the Vortex is out.

I'll take a look at the Weaver.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
That.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
That.

I wish it had side paralax/focus and a 30mm tube

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
That.

I wish it had side paralax/focus and a 30mm tube

Why? It doesn't need it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I second this motion . I have had hands on with this optic for 3 years now and it has been nothing short of amazing for the money you cant go wrong

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this motion . I have had hands on with this optic for 3 years now and it has been nothing short of amazing for the money you cant go wrong

The Weaver seems to get great reviews.  I wish it had the reticle that the BSA scope has, or even add some windage dots in there also.  And FFP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

My budget is hard, hard set at $400, and even at that right now, I'd rather not spend more than $350. Just have other bills to be paying off right now and I'd like to get in the field sooner rather than later. So that Vortex is out unless I find a used one for the right price within the next week.

I've had the Weaver mentioned a couple of different places, but would prefer something with a little higher magnification for when I got varmit shooting... of course, if the glassis crap at the higher end, then it doesn't really matter, does it?

As it stands, I'm thinking hard at that Falcon 4-14, but have also had a Knox 4.5-16 recommended to me. Any other obvious choices I'm missing?
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought this scope. Should be delivered today. I know the poster said he had a $400 limit. But I'll try to review this scope after I sight it in, hopefully this weekend. I got it for $499.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just bought this scope. Should be delivered today. I know the poster said he had a $400 limit. But I'll try to review this scope after I sight it in, hopefully this weekend. I got it for $499.

... Which scope? There've been a number of them discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the BSA 4-14x FFP, MIL/MIL  (the Midway exclusive one) on a customized Ruger 10/22 LVT.  I absolutely LOVE it...huge eye box, crisp from edge to edge, focuses great out to 100+ yards (that's the furthest I've gone with it).  Better than the Falcon Menace 4-14 I had.

This is, no bullshit whatsoever, a sub half-minute rifle out to 100 yards.  Most accurate rifle I've ever owned....and  I've gone through my share of high-end AR's.

Now, would I trust that scope on a centerfire? Probably not.  But it's a bad ass scope for a 22.

ETA - The above rifle has about 8,000 rounds through it.  I cleaned the barrel last around the 5,000 round mark.  It just shot a .55 MOA 5-shot 100 yard group today...time to get out the bore snake.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Midway BSA on my Savage 10

I like it for what it is but some day I will buy better glass for this gun, I have had no zero shift problems and it seems to track well
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Well,

I second the vortex

I have the mil/mil 6-24x50 ffp...

Love it so far...

Bret
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. Seems like every day someone mentions another scope I wasn't aware of.

Seems like I'm only becoming more and more uncertain of what to go with as I look further into this.

As it stands, my absolute hard stop is at $400. I can't go past that, so the Vortex is out.

I'll take a look at the Weaver.

Dude, its $50. Save your money and get the Viper. It is miles ahead of the other choices. I have one and love it. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
So, which way did you go?

I had the same analysis for the same reasons a week ago (I didn't see this thread, but I read quite a few reviews).

While the Weaver almost got my dollar, the Midway-BSA (which is a better way to reference the scope, since it is just a contract run in the same Chinese shop that makes the Falcon and the Primary Arms) won it, due to the FFP and the enhanced Mil ret. I need fast range estimation at unkown distances (potentially for more than one target) and hold over vs. dial for qucker range adjustments (light tactical/hunting use model), which is why I made that choice. If I was shooting at paper at know distances at the range, with time to dial (Precision shooting), I would have went with either the weaver adjustable, or just gone with their fixed 10x.

Having used good glass in the Army, and still owning a Steiner, I certainly recognize the benefits of a better quality FFP scope starting at $750 (Bushnell 3-12 G2), and likely hitting $2k as a median price. But when funds are tight, and the bills HAVE to be payed, us "poor folk" still need glass, and want the features we feel we need. I'll try and post a separate review of this scope in a few months, letting you know how it did on top of my LR308 at long range.  Cheers!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top