Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2012 8:23:52 AM EDT
I am putting the finishing touches on my first AR build. I am down to the sites. I have made my mind up on optics (at least I think so its either the T1 or the CompM2) but I do want to add a set of flip up sites. Now this is what I have to decide. Should I just use a set of Magpul MBUS or is it better to just spend the money on a good set of iron sites like the Troy, YMH or the Diamondhead?

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this. I currently have a 16in Carbine setup with the 556 Tactical (Samson)11in rail on it and a flattop receiver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If you go with polymer sights just make sure you buy them from a reputable retailer. There has been a big problem lately with people passing off plastic airsoft sights as true polymer weapon sights.

There is a BIG difference between polymer and plastic.

If you want to play it safe you can order from www.dsgarms.com they stock the real thing.

I don't have a preference on iron vs. polymer, the polymer seems to hold up and take a beating with the best of them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
troy
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Before someone posts the link to the "drop test", I'll tell you that there were several posts where the plastic sights broke when the rifle simply slipped and fell over at the range. You won't find many of those threads about quality aluminum sights. I had the rear break on mine, though it was an ARMS model. The Magpul is definitely a superior design, though I won't own one of them either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Before someone posts the link to the "drop test", I'll tell you that there were several posts where the plastic sights broke when the rifle simply slipped and fell over at the range. You won't find many of those threads about quality aluminum sights. I had the rear break on mine, though it was an ARMS model. The Magpul is definitely a superior design, though I won't own one of them either.

But I like the drop test!!!! seriously though there is a big difference between some plastic sights I have seen and magpuls polymer. Its not just the design its the material used. I would trust my life to them for what its worth. you trust yours with what ever you feel is best.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
MBUS work and they are very strong. From what I've seen stronger than Troys and other metal folding sights. I just made the transition from fixed irons to folding with my T1. I had a pair of MBUS lying around that I used to test if I would like folders or not. I didn't keep them on the rifle though because I wasn't a fan of the square top aperture. The MBUS have a really crummy sight picture, but as a buis they work well. My favorite thing about them is they are spring loaded.

I ended up with Troys because sometimes I like just running my sights up/as my primary. As a buis though you can't go wrong with a MBUS.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
TROY
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul all the way
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am putting the finishing touches on my first AR build. I am down to the sites. I have made my mind up on optics (at least I think so its either the T1 or the CompM2) but I do want to add a set of flip up sites. Now this is what I have to decide. Should I just use a set of Magpul MBUS or is it better to just spend the money on a good set of iron sites like the Troy, YMH or the Diamondhead?

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this. I currently have a 16in Carbine setup with the 556 Tactical (Samson)11in rail on it and a flattop receiver.

Mbus work great and are very durable. If you want a simple to use flip-up with no range adjustment I'd get the Mbus.

...and I will second DSGarms.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're not going to use the rears, get the magpul (slightly less weight).  If you plan on using them get the troys (nicer sight picture).
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

...Should I just use a set of Magpul MBUS or is it better to just spend the money on a good set of iron sites like the Troy, YMH or the Diamondhead?...

You already know the answer.  I can tell by the way you phrased the above sentence; as if you'd be settling for the cheap, ehem, affordable, mbus.  If you know that you'd only be truly satisfied with the higher end buis, then go ahead and get Troys or KAC or whatever.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I haven't made up my mind and is why I am getting information from others and their experiences to help make my decision. That you all for your information. Sight picture is a big deal to me and if the MBUS does not have a very  good sight pictures then that will play into my decision. Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I haven't made up my mind and is why I am getting information from others and their experiences to help make my decision. That you all for your information. Sight picture is a big deal to me and if the MBUS does not have a very  good sight pictures then that will play into my decision. Thanks again

FWIW I do just fine with them at about 300 yards…..I don't find the sight picture bad, its just different. On an A2 sight you try to keep the ears centered in the rear aperture. With the Magpuls you try to keep the ears on the outer edge of the aperture…If that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep seeing TROY rear sights for $80. WELL worth it at that price, which is only $30 more then the polymer MBUS

TROY rear sight for $80

Troy is the best!
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I keep seeing TROY rear sights for $80. WELL worth it at that price, which is only $30 more then the polymer MBUS

TROY rear sight for $80

Troy is the best!

Exactly what I came here to post, just ordered a set for myself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well I haven't made up my mind and is why I am getting information from others and their experiences to help make my decision. That you all for your information. Sight picture is a big deal to me and if the MBUS does not have a very good sight pictures then that will play into my decision. Thanks again

After re-reading my post today, it sounded kinda, well dickish.  What I was trying to explain (poorly) was that in the past I have settled for a product that will work, but that wasn't neccessarily the product that I really wanted.  I did this exact thing with a set of MBUSs, and they worked fine, but they definitely weren't what I really wanted.  I ended up selling them for a loss of about 50%, and bought the KAC micros.  Just don't want that to happen to you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The Troys and Midwest sights are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#18]
TROY

Like you said yourself, get "a good set of iron sights"
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#19]
KAC micro.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I will add my personal experience.  I opted to go with Magpul sights as opposed to GG&G or Troy primarily for the affordability factor and to a lesser extent because alot of the other add ons I had were magpul.

Polymer wasn't an issue, holding zero was no issue, ease of adjustability for elevation/windage was just fine  I am not sure I am alone on this observation on this but it seemed the rear sight's small apature was much larger than what I am used to with GG&G... you could almost use it for CQB.  The large apature was huge.  I would love a set of Troy sights and ultimately I will upgrade but as a newer AR owner I opted to sink the extra money into a nicer optic.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I like the drop test!!!! seriously though there is a big difference between some plastic sights I have seen and magpuls polymer. Its not just the design its the material used. I would trust my life to them for what its worth. you trust yours with what ever you feel is best.

I can relate to that. To clarify my position, I've worked in plastics for about five years total. I know for a fact ARMS uses a harder glass filed nylon that is more susceptible to cracking than the less rigid material used by Magpul. I also know that all sorts of plastic has a your horrible habit of breaking at odd times in odd ways. Metal will almost always bend predictably, but plastic can break very unexpectedly. I've seen the most perfect parts come from a press, look perfect, and snap like a twig under the relatively light force the test jig can apply.

Edit- If your metal sight bends, you have Kentucky windage. If your plastic sight breaks, you're FUBAR. If your Pmag breaks, there's (here anyway) 21 Pmags waiting for FOTIME right behind it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
For a hard use, SHTF rifle, Troy. For a range toy, Magpul.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my MBUS, and i read that Stickman has them on his duty rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TROY rear sight for $80

Troy is the best!

Exactly what I came here to post, just ordered a set for myself.

Ditto, Troy is all that I have on my AR's!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Well,

I have several buis's

Now the question I have is...

They are a backup sight...right?

So, who here has had to use them fo real?

I standard is a ta31f-rmr...I've never had one fail...they are almost bulletproof... :)

So you have a reputable primary sight...a backup rmr...

Now I run magpul backups...

If its getting to my third sight on my rifle...you may in deed be in a world of shit...really!

So, I go for them as...

1-they are light...
2-easy to deploy...
3-reliable...
4-damn if I'm here I may as well grab my glock...

So, the way I look at it is if my primary optics entire group has been comprimized I have a backup that will probably never get used...

What's your opinions ?

Bret

P.s. I vote for magpul
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Troy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Troy
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Iron sights work all the time, optics and points will fog over/get wet/get dirty/get covered in snow....
If anything of this happens to your irons, just spit at them and wipe them. If anything breaks the irons, optics will be dead long ago.

-> I like iron sights, but use mostly optics. Optics just help to see the target better, they don't make the rifle more accurate.

My BUIS is a Troy folding aperture sight and the 71b ARMS frontsight.
I use mostly a surplus Fero Z24 scope with my  M5.

This fall I shot with the BUIS from 0 to 600 meter. From 0 to 300 with a 250m zero, from then on at a 450m zero.
The Troy works like a charm. Crisp sight picture, reliable and sturdy.
With the larger aperture I could hit poppers up to 200m very reliable. After finding my POA I could hit the poppers consistently at 600m with about 50% of my shots (small aperture)
The single negative point is the absence of elevation adjustment at the aperture.
Therefore I will try a KAC 600m sight to see if it works for me.

Shooting at 600m with the Fero Z24 scope was nearly boring, I was able to hit with more than 80% of the shots. Prone supported, prone unsupported but stabilised with a vtac sling and prone unsupported. Most misses were unsupported.

Good times.....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top