Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2012 4:54:09 AM EDT
Looking for feedback from anyone that has one.  This is the scope I am looking at, but want to see if anyone here has anything good or bad to say about it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Even though I have a post in the EE trying to trade it this might jeapordize, I think it's use is extremely limited. Here's my pros and cons.

Cons.

3X isn't good for long range.
Reticle is terrible for close range or speed.
Mounting options suck.

Pros.

It's small.
It's cheap.
Glass is okay for the money.

In all reality, this is a terrible optic for a 5.56 AR. The reticle is designed for longer shots than the magnification is optimal at. As such, the reticle is too thin to be used at closer ranges where low mags shine. With out a denser reticle, I think you'd be much better served with a Leupold VX1 with the turkey or hog reticle that can be easily used with both eyes open.

Disregard. Didn't see you were looking at the variable model.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
So this is for the P-223 3x 32mm or the P-223 3x9?  I have read the cons you listed for the 3x 32mm but not the P-223 3x9.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I got the 3x32 and didn't have any issues with mounting. I knew going in using the P-223 mounts what I was getting and since it's on a dedicated scope mount AR (not a rifle I plan on switching optics on between other scopes) I'm happy with it.

I wish I had gotten the 3x9 varible but might build another AR and mount that on it.

It's a hunting/plinking optic....for speed shooting not a good choice but I have other AR's for that.

Link to a review I did the 3x32

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=320027&page=2
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
That's good to know thanks.  I am thinking the 3x9 should work well for shooting up to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no experience with with the P223 but just recently mounted an M223 in the 2x8 with the BDC reticle. If the P model you're looking at has this system I can say it is a G2G for a precision application. Mine is on a RECCE build using a Superior bbl. upper. It makes longer range shooting tooo much fun. Lots of copper down range with this. Only downside is the turrets don't lock so once zeroed make sure you set the turrets. The biggest downside though is you'll shoot a lot more ammo than normal :)
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's good to know thanks.  I am thinking the 3x9 should work well for shooting up to 300 yards.

Yeah, I doubt the 3x32 would be much good past 200 yards. My "normal" range is 100 yards so it does what I bought it for, but hindsight being 20-20 I should have gotten the varible focus model.

I still might get it for a AR I have that I've been leaving "caveman" (I have 3 at the moment with a build planed and buying another Colt 6920 after I get my tax refund back)...I need something for X-Mas for myself anyway
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have no experience with with the P223 but just recently mounted an M223 in the 2x8 with the BDC reticle. If the P model you're looking at has this system I can say it is a G2G for a precision application. Mine is on a RECCE build using a Superior bbl. upper. It makes longer range shooting tooo much fun. Lots of copper down range with this. Only downside is the turrets don't lock so once zeroed make sure you set the turrets. The biggest downside though is you'll shoot a lot more ammo than normal :)

Ive really enjoyed mine as well, ive ran it out to 600 a few times without issue. the glass is actually "really good" for the price
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guy, I think I'll give that scope a shot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#9]
One more that caught my eye is the Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte.  I like the idea of the extra magnification, does anyone have any experience with this scope?
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One more that caught my eye is the Nikon Prostaff Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte.  I like the idea of the extra magnification, does anyone have any experience with this scope?

I have a Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC on my hunting AR and I like it. The glass is great for the money and I like the BDC reticle. IMO, Nikon is the go-to brand for sub-$500 scopes.

The P-223 scope is the same glass as the Prostaff. It's just a Pro-staff 3-9x40 with the .223 calibrated BDC and turrets. The standard Prostaff BDC is designed to be a catch-all BDC reticle for any caliber. Just pick which magnification and reticle you want and then go with whichever model matches that. The Prostaff is the entry level line of Nikon scopes, but they redesigned them last year and the glass is just as good as the mid-range Buckmasters scopes now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the P223 3-9X40 scope and really like it. The glass is clear and bright, focus is sharp from edge to edge, the reticule is very fine and easy to see, it holds zero, and the turrets have positive click stops and don't get bumped off their settings easily. I am biased when it comes to Nikon. I have several thousand dollars of camera gear that's Nikon and it is all top quality gear. It's the same with the P223 variable scope. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
they are'nt to bad. plastic turret knobs though. I've always liked the prostaff line. good bang for the $$$.

I put the 3-9 P223 on an upper I'd built. with a DPMS 18" barrel from midwayusa. $179.00 barrel.

decent cheap upper and the P223 tracked fine.

it is a very busy reticle!
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have this same scope on a bolt gun. Great scope for the price. Such a good scope that I just bought another for a 6x45 build. I think it's the best under $200 scope out there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
bwell, I wish I could say I have put at least one round under Nikon's P-223 Series of scopes but they have been selling so well I can't even get my hands on one. Honestly, I have also been hearing and reading nothing but positive comment's regarding this optic as well. It is calibrated for the .223/5.56 cal. but I suggest guy's use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to truly dial in your rifle,ammo and scope for the greatest accuracy. Spot On is free to use and I think you will be amazed how accurate it will make your long range shooting.

Good luck and I would love to see some pics for your rig.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
P-223 3x 32mm or the P-223 3x9,
I have both, they are very hard to beat for the $$, yes you can spend more...a lot more
I'm happy with both, one is on my DD M4 V5 16" and the 3X is currently on my SBR DD, 10.85" waiting on suppressor
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been looking and looking for one around town but no one can keep them in stock, I might go ahead and purchase the prostaff 4x12 or redfield 3x9 if my local DSG's cant get one in this week.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been debating about the P223 3-9x40 myself. I've been going back and forth between it and the Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x50 with a Burris QD mount package, seen here.http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-magnified-optics-package.html

I figure it's like getting the scope for 100 bucks because the scope usually sells for almost 199 on it's own most places.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Ended up getting the Nikon Monarch 3x9 40mm with BDC for 199, it was on sale from 269.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top