Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2012 7:16:59 AM EDT
I know this topic as been beaten to death, and I have searched through a few threads about it but have still not made up my mind. This optic will be used for 3 gun, hunting, and some longer range shooting, no more than 500 yards.

Burris Mtac

Obviously the price is a major plus, and I seem to like the recital better, although I have not seen it in person. The only down sides I have read is that the recital is not very precise, although I don't understand this since it has a BCD that appears to get smaller as the yardage increases.

Burris XTR

The recital is not too bad. I have seen this person, but I wonder what are you getting for the price increase? If its durability or better glass then I would have no problem paying the extra money. I have also heard that the Gen 2 illumination is a lot brighter than the Gen 1, would this put it on the same level as the Mtac?

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
looking for the same info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#2]
the burris XTR is the flagship line.  its made in america, that right there is what explains the price difference.  i cant comment on the reticle or the brightness as i've yet to shoot one.  

i do have a 1-4 mtac.  it is assembled in china, but uses quality parts and i'm sure burris qc's it.  i honestly liked the reticle a little better.  gives you more of an eotech feel when shooting on 1x because its a nice big circle.  its not the greatest precision reticle though, but its accurate enough to hit what you want.  eye relief is the same as the XTR and the glass is very clear.

got no complaints iwth the mtac, its a nice scope.  im sure you get a slightly better product buying the XTR but BOTH scopes are covered under burris's forever warranty.  doesnt even matter if you are the original owner or not.  end of the day its up to you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had my XTR for 2 years now. It is one tough unit. Its been on my all purpose rifle. Its been at the range, hog hunting,  out in  bad weather, and tossed around quite abit. Stll going. Glass is very good IMHO. I have the gen 2 so illumination is good.  I personally like the reticle.I have it mounted in a Larue mount ,has held zero since day one. I think its a nice 1-4x. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Try looking for reticle pictures, that might help a bit.

The MTAC reticle is kind of bulky. For example, at 100 yards, the middle dot, used for aiming at that range, covers 2.4 inches. This is 2-3 times larger than what my rifles are capable of shooting. This makes aiming accurately difficult, since, if I'm aiming at a 1" dot at 100 yards, the aiming point totally obscures that dot. That said, the glass seems pretty nice for the price point, and for less accurate, quick shooting, the big reticule is easy to see with and without illumination. It's also hard to impart how the reticule just seems to overpower the section of glass it is in. You aren't going to see much of the target behind the reticle.

The dot within the horseshoe on the XTR covers .9 of an inch at 100 yards, which makes it easier to aim more accurately. I also like how just the horseshoe and three center dots are illuminated. I find the horseshoe/dot reticule very easy to use and which I could get it on the Zeiss Duralyt 1.2-5x36. There's also more "space" between the reticle components, which are thinner, which makes it easier to see the target.

If you're looking for minute of deer/bad guy, the MTAC reticle is fine. If you're looking for something finer grained, I'd go with the XTR.

I personally can't stand that the eye relief changes at different magnifications, which is why I went with the above Zeiss scope. (The 36mm objective also makes the exit pupil larger and the eye box is more forgiving.)

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I am really leaning toward the MTAC in a Laure mount.

Right now I am using a Aimpoint T1 with a 4 moa dot with a 3x magnifier behind it. I like the T1, but with the large dot its hard to shoot 8" steel over 200 yards, and the magnifier turns the dot more into a comet further aspirating the problem.

I am thinking the 2.4 MOA dot will be fine for my purposes, as I dont see myself wanting to shoot 1" dots at 100 yards, and wont really be shoot over 500 yards.

Am I missing anything, or anyone have anything else to add?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I fucking LOVE my XTR

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered the Tac30.
Was between the Tac and the MTAC for my price point.
Talked to the Burris people. Decided the tac was for me.
Don't need the easy zero changes or the rotary brightness knob.
saved $100 that way
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just purchased the Mtac, Have yet to shoot it yet, the wind is insane here in texas right now. I like the reticle just fine, mine was made in the phillipines, probably a bit better assembly then in china I think. I do which the windage and ela. adj. were a bit beter than .5 MOA but I plan on using this for 3Gun this next year. Was at CTD (please refrain from the unsults) last night and was looking at the XTR next the MTac next to it, not much noticeable difference. My ret. doesn't change size when magnified, and the center dot is suppoed to be 2.4" @100yds. would be nicer if it were a bit finer, but not like I'm trying to slice hairs off a pig at 1500yds. or something. I imagine that it will be just fine for my uses, and it looks to be sturdy as all heck, especially compared to my 1-6x 30y/o weaver on my .22
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a question on another thread I started about the Burris FourX scopes on deep discount at MidwayUSA.com.  Apparently, they are virtually identical to the Burris XTR line sold here, as they are the European counterparts.  Might want to look at that site while deciding what to buy.  Unfortunately, the usual Midway Buyers reviews are not available for these European versions....but if they are the same as the US sold models, who cares, right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
anyone know where the best deal on either of these scopes is?
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
i do have a 1-4 mtac.  it is assembled in china, but uses quality parts and i'm sure burris qc's it.

The Burris M-TAC is made in the Philippines.  And it isn't produced by some OEM maker of scopes, it is made by Burris in the Philippines.  
Burris built its own factory, sent Burris employees to manage it, sent scope-making equipment, and hired and trained its workers, who are Burris employees.

Burris' AR line of scopes, ie AR 132, AR-332 and AR-532 are made in China by an OEM manufacturer.  But their rifle scopes are either made in the US
or in the Philippine in Burris factories by Burris employees.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i do have a 1-4 mtac.  it is assembled in china, but uses quality parts and i'm sure burris qc's it.

The Burris M-TAC is made in the Philippines.  And it isn't produced by some OEM maker of scopes, it is made by Burris in the Philippines.  
Burris built its own factory, sent Burris employees to manage it, sent scope-making equipment, and hired and trained its workers, who are Burris employees.

Burris' AR line of scopes, ie AR 132, AR-332 and AR-532 are made in China by an OEM manufacturer.  But their rifle scopes are either made in the US
or in the Philippine in Burris factories by Burris employees.  

guess i should have read the box better lol.  thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got both and I prefer the reticle in the XTR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I just took delivery of an XTR.  Haven't shot it yet, but it looks very rugged and I like the reticle and illumination a lot.  If you crank the illumination on 1x, its like a red dot.  Turn it down and crank up the mag you can take advantage of the very fine reticle for longer shots.  I'm looking forward to seeing how well the BDC hash marks line up with a couple of different loads.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you guys able to keep both eyes open at 1X and 4X, how about when shooting from support side?

I thought I had it nailed down to the XRT, but now I am leaning more toward the Trijicon Accupoint, as I have heard it has a better eye box.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you guys able to keep both eyes open at 1X and 4X, how about when shooting from support side?

I thought I had it nailed down to the XRT, but now I am leaning more toward the Trijicon Accupoint, as I have heard it has a better eye box.

At 1x, I run my XTR like an aimpoint.

both eyes open and focused on the target

It's really cool

perfect for 3-gun matches or killing a running coyote
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top