BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the math on how much that Switchview obstructs my field of view,    Its    0.008%     I can live with that.

Travis G / MGM  has a special going on in the Enos Forum  offering 20% off on the switchview if you ask for it.    OR tell them I sent you from hear to there and will you still get the 20%  = worth a try.
Jamie
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
How is the eyebox on the Razor HD Gen II? Vortex does not list any exit pupil information. It's a nice scope, but it is a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I did the math on how much that Switchview obstructs my field of view,    Its    0.008%     I can live with that.

Travis G / MGM  has a special going on in the Enos Forum  offering 20% off on the switchview if you ask for it.    OR tell them I sent you from hear to there and will you still get the 20%  = worth a try.
Jamie

If you say so lol  But if it starts to drive you nuts, I'm here for you.

Thanks for the tip I'll see if I can do that.  Is there a specific thread I should look for over there?
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Nice hand held photos – thanks!  I just can’t believe the fantastic view out of that optic – nice.  Really torn….  

What was the setting on the CompM4?

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Good grief! The view using that optic appears to be incredible!

This scope is looking perfect for anything I'd use an AR for. I have an Aimpoint T1 right now and was going to go with the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 as soon as I could raise the funds because I want the 1x magnification, both-eyes-open, with a 'dot' of some sort for close encounters but also want some magnification for things that are further downrange but now the Accupoint plan seems like a half-assed compromise.

It looks like I'll be raising a little more cash for what amounts to a LOT more benefit!

Thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This scope is looking perfect for anything I'd use an AR for. I have an Aimpoint T1 right now and was going to go with the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 as soon as I could raise the funds because I want the 1x magnification, both-eyes-open, with a 'dot' of some sort for close encounters but also want some magnification for things that are further downrange but now the Accupoint plan seems like a half-assed compromise.

It looks like I'll be raising a little more cash for what amounts to a LOT more benefit!

Thanks for the insight.

It is a nice scope! I too did a lot of research regarding the TR24, this Razor HD Gen II, Meopta ZD, S&B short dots, and a few others. After WEIGHING all the pros/cons, I ended up buying a TR24G, and I'm happy I did. The heft of the "lightweight" 14.4oz TR24 is still considerable for an AR. Factor in another 5-6 oz's for every other 1-4x out there, and 11 oz's more for the Razor HD Gen II! Not to mention, for that price, you can have a T1 and a TR24. The TR24 has a huge eyebox compared to many variables out there, and has pretty decent glass, especially considering the price. Factor in a lifetime warranty from a huge company, and Bob's your uncle. However, this Razor Gen II would still be great if you have a bipod, heavy barrel, and the like.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.

It is a nice scope! I too did a lot of research regarding the TR24, this Razor HD Gen II, Meopta ZD, S&B short dots, and a few others. After WEIGHING all the pros/cons, I ended up buying a TR24G, and I'm happy I did. The heft of the "lightweight" 14.4oz TR24 is still considerable for an AR. Factor in another 5-6 oz's for every other 1-4x out there, and 11 oz's more for the Razor HD Gen II! Not to mention, for that price, you can have a T1 and a TR24. The TR24 has a huge eyebox compared to many variables out there, and has pretty decent glass, especially considering the price. Factor in a lifetime warranty from a huge company, and Bob's your uncle. However, this Razor Gen II would still be great if you have a bipod, heavy barrel, and the like.

Anyone wish the TR24 had some hashmarks under the triangle?
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.

I thought I saw on Frank's review that it was actually 18 oz?

In either case, I am willing to bear the extra ounces, this scope is just too right. I would rather its one con be a few extra ounces than compromised build quality, glass or robustness. For sure.

I want one for my RECCE and one for my SBR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.

Anyone wish the TR24 had some hashmarks under the triangle?

Just anyone who has had one.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Jamie

thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.

In either case, I am willing to bear the extra ounces, this scope is just too right. I would rather its one con be a few extra ounces than compromised build quality, glass or robustness. For sure.

The 18 oz and 24 oz differential was the reason for my question back a few pages. The problem I ran into is that some vendors that list the scope do indeed give the 18 oz weight but Vortex gives the 24 oz weight. I ended up calling Vortex and they confirm the 24 oz weight. I figured they must know. So be real careful where you get that value from….

The problem with the weight is that it is heavy for the role the scope was designed for, which is part CQB i.e. close shooting and part intermediate distance shooting. This type of shooting by definition requires the shooter to move and shoot which means a heavy gun will put you at a disadvantage. Now if it was a benchrest or a gun to be shot only long distance with a bipod, I would have much less worry. For example my AR-10 has a NSX 8-32 which weighs in at 44.5 oz (with the mount), that is not a problem.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
like I said, built like a tank. the Aimpoint of 1-6x's
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Like I said before, when your actually running the gun with the scope, the weight doesn’t affect anything at all and you dont notice it.  Its easy to notice playing with it in you house, but when your focusing on firing the rifle its not even remotely on your mind.  I know its been over-stated to the point of being a cliché douchey remark, but its still true, if your actually affected by the few extra oz.’s then you might need work those muscle groups a bit more.  Its not like your running a 240B or anything.  When I notice a particular weapon is feeling off balance or heavy, I walk around the house with it for a day at low ready, maybe throw in some up-downs.  That re-acclimates my muscles to the weight.  I understand wanting light-weight accessories but for the amount of weight added to the rifle, I wouldn’t let it be a deciding factor and compromise performance, especially with something as important as the optic.  This optic is well worth the weight penalty.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like I said before, when your actually running the gun with the scope, the weight doesn’t affect anything at all and you dont notice it.  Its easy to notice playing with it in you house, but when your focusing on firing the rifle its not even remotely on your mind.  I know its been over-stated to the point of being a cliché douchey remark, but its still true, if your actually affected by the few extra oz.’s then you might need work those muscle groups a bit more.  Its not like your running a 240B or anything.  When I notice a particular weapon is feeling off balance or heavy, I walk around the house with it for a day at low ready, maybe throw in some up-downs.  That re-acclimates my muscles to the weight.  I understand wanting light-weight accessories but for the amount of weight added to the rifle, I wouldn’t let it be a deciding factor and compromise performance, especially with something as important as the optic.  This optic is well worth the weight penalty.

I respect this viewpoint, and you are probably right. When you are moving like that, an 870 might as well be an M4 or an MP5. The weight doesn't start to get too bad until you're slinging around an SR25 with heavy barrel and optics. I think this is a great scope for an SPR type build, but for my fighting carbine, the TR24 fit the bill. Different strokes... I don't think you could go wrong with any of the popular options, especially with the wonderful view for the money that the Razor G2 offers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have any kind of foregrip or bipod, just a Troy Alpha tube with some rubber doughnuts in some of the cooling holes as my 'grip'. I have no extra side or bottom rails added. I have a shaved front sight as a gas block and MBUS's. For a light I can clip on my Streamlight TLR1 in front of the front sight when needed (no mount needed). I have no need to keep the light mounted on the carbine since my Glock 17 wears it for home defense.

So I'll take the extra 6 or 7 ounces in the form of the better optic and forego adding any fluff. I'm guessing that way my little carbine will weigh less than most and at the same time give a better view of all the targets than most.

That's my theory anyway, I'll reserve the right to be wrong about it :)
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It may be that it's worth it but weight DOES matter if you are using a rifle in the field.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be that it's worth it but weight DOES matter if you are using a rifle in the field.

It does to an extent IE lugging around a saw.  But this small amount of weight isn’t noticed in the field per my experience with it.  It didn’t affect any moving drills, transitions, room clearing drills or actual competition.  I've given it heavy field use since I've mounted it, both in competition and rough training modeled after what I did when I was in the Army.  For instance I took it hiking and climbing before and after running drills for a weekend.  I'll admit you notice when it’s off the rifle but during field use is exactly when you don’t notice it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats awesome, I have been looking for a nice scope to put on my AR and I think this could be the one.  Those pictures are perfect by the way.  Maybe I havent seen a lot of scope pics but the ones I have seen are usually pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.

The 18 oz and 24 oz differential was the reason for my question back a few pages. The problem I ran into is that some vendors that list the scope do indeed give the 18 oz weight but Vortex gives the 24 oz weight. I ended up calling Vortex and they confirm the 24 oz weight. I figured they must know. So be real careful where you get that value from….

The problem with the weight is that it is heavy for the role the scope was designed for, which is part CQB i.e. close shooting and part intermediate distance shooting. This type of shooting by definition requires the shooter to move and shoot which means a heavy gun will put you at a disadvantage. Now if it was a benchrest or a gun to be shot only long distance with a bipod, I would have much less worry. For example my AR-10 has a NSX 8-32 which weighs in at 44.5 oz (with the mount), that is not a problem.

Just to be fair and arguing against myself a bit, the flip side to the heavy weight argument is that some of the other leaders in this area are also quite heavy. Examples would be Leupold 1.1-8x24 CQBSS -23.2 oz, S&B Short Dot 1-8x - 22 oz, IOR 1-10x - 25 oz, Valdada 1-10x - 25 oz. But they are higher power but perhaps the Vortex is build stronger, don' know.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#20]
it my have already been mentioned but I got an email today from vortex stating a Switchview for the new razor is shipping to dealers now.

here is the email:

Good morning,
Thanks for contacting Vortex Optics.  Have good news and bad…first the bad the SV-RZR-01 won’t fit the 1-6 Razor.  Now the good news…we have begun shipping the SV-3 to our dealers, look for the website to be updated later today or tomorrow.  http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-switchview-throw-lever-razor-hd-riflescope

Contact your favorite dealer and have them order it for you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jamie

If you say so lol  But if it starts to drive you nuts, I'm here for you.

Thanks for the tip I'll see if I can do that.  Is there a specific thread I should look for over there?

hey I have a 3gunstuff one for you, pm me your address, once I get back from this TDY it'll be yours. dont sell it tho crazy, just keep passing it forward if you don't need it.

Quoted:
it my have already been mentioned but I got an email today from vortex stating a Switchview for the new razor is shipping to dealers now.

here is the email:

Good morning,
Thanks for contacting Vortex Optics.  Have good news and bad…first the bad the SV-RZR-01 won’t fit the 1-6 Razor.  Now the good news…we have begun shipping the SV-3 to our dealers, look for the website to be updated later today or tomorrow.  http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-switchview-throw-lever-razor-hd-riflescope

Contact your favorite dealer and have them order it for you.

mine shipped Monday, hopefully the wife is smart enough to put it on.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I sold my NF 2.5-10x32 that I had on my RECCE. As soon as my guy gets one in stock, even though they are in MOA, I am going to get one of the Razor 1-6's.

I am going to mount it on my RECCE for now, and then when the mil/mil version comes out, assuming next year, I will move the MOA version over to my 300Blk SBR where dialing wont ever be a factor and then mount a mil version (hopefully) on the RECCE where I do need to dial occasionally.

Anybody else recently acquired one of these? Any new word on a mil version?
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
alamoshooter posted sometime around 2014 fir other reticles over on brian enos. bummer I know, flipped my RAZOR II and got a swaro until then

he's a sponsored shooter so I value his info.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said before, when your actually running the gun with the scope, the weight doesn’t affect anything at all and you dont notice it. Its easy to notice playing with it in you house, but when your focusing on firing the rifle its not even remotely on your mind. I know its been over-stated to the point of being a cliché douchey remark, but its still true, if your actually affected by the few extra oz.’s then you might need work those muscle groups a bit more. Its not like your running a 240B or anything. When I notice a particular weapon is feeling off balance or heavy, I walk around the house with it for a day at low ready, maybe throw in some up-downs. That re-acclimates my muscles to the weight. I understand wanting light-weight accessories but for the amount of weight added to the rifle, I wouldn’t let it be a deciding factor and compromise performance, especially with something as important as the optic. This optic is well worth the weight penalty.

Have my TR24 now for a couple of weeks and have been doing dry fire drills with it mounted on a M&P-15 VTAC.  The combo of the scope and an LT104 comes in at around 20 oz and compared to my CompM4s I have to say that it is significantly heavier.  This scope is only 14.4 oz and so the rest came from the LT-104 so I would imagine the Vortex 1-6 would end up being over 30 oz.  I work out with weights but after my dryfire practice, I am REALLY glad I did not go with anything heavier.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#25]
wuss, lol j/k

its really not that bad
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#26]

You can say what you want and there are guys in the squad who humps an M249 but you can bet that the other guys are glad that they are not doing it.  I am in with that crowd and I am glad I have a choice!

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there any information regarding battery life on the Razor 1-6?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So far it hasn't died on mine and its had about 5hrs of use.  Thats all I've got till its dead.  It would be nice if I had a way of storeing an extra battery of this type on my rifle though.

One issue I'm having is that it seems, even with a cat tail, its a bit hard to change magnification.  Its really stiff and slow moving.  Is this an issue for anyone else?  Vortex say if I send it in they will try to adjust it for me for free but I'm not a fan of haveing my main rifle out of action for a while.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I just picked one up this week and thought the same thing when I adjusted the magnification....very stiff. On a related note, I was sent a switchview for a 1-4 PST, but obviously need one for a 1-6 HDII.....Anyone need to trade????
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said before, when your actually running the gun with the scope, the weight doesn’t affect anything at all and you dont notice it. Its easy to notice playing with it in you house, but when your focusing on firing the rifle its not even remotely on your mind. I know its been over-stated to the point of being a cliché douchey remark, but its still true, if your actually affected by the few extra oz.’s then you might need work those muscle groups a bit more. Its not like your running a 240B or anything. When I notice a particular weapon is feeling off balance or heavy, I walk around the house with it for a day at low ready, maybe throw in some up-downs. That re-acclimates my muscles to the weight. I understand wanting light-weight accessories but for the amount of weight added to the rifle, I wouldn’t let it be a deciding factor and compromise performance, especially with something as important as the optic. This optic is well worth the weight penalty.

It does to an extent IE lugging around a saw. But this small amount of weight isn’t noticed in the field per my experience with it. It didn’t affect any moving drills, transitions, room clearing drills or actual competition. I've given it heavy field use since I've mounted it, both in competition and rough training modeled after what I did when I was in the Army. For instance I took it hiking and climbing before and after running drills for a weekend. I'll admit you notice when it’s off the rifle but during field use is exactly when you don’t notice it.

The extra weight would be very noticable during a 2 day (9-10 Hours/Day) carbine class. For gungames no as 98% of the time at the match is non-shooting with the rifle stiing somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I love mine and am thinking about picking up a second. Great optic for the type of shooting I do.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I love mine. Shot a video review with it on my Tavor:

http://youtu.be/Q9sTU_yVU2o

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I have had the same battery in my Razor from the very fist time I got it.  = Same one in the photos from the first page.   The scope only has about 6,000 miles of match travel on it.    I will have it at the SMM3G next month with the same battery.    I will try and post in when I change it out.

The 1-4 FFP Razor would only last a match or two before I would find it to dim.
Jamie
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't notice the weight of the scope at all, in response to some older comments above.  However, I'm not lugging it up mountains overseas.  My Vortex 1-6x is used for gaming, and I'm thrilled with it thus far.  Got it in November after watching this thread and Alamo's threads on Enos, and when OpticsPlanet was running a 10% off sale it was too tempting to pass up.  Ran it for the first time at a match in December and was instantly comfortable with it, given that I'm an Aimpoint fan and had been seeking a dot-type picture on 1X.  Not many good TX sun-bright ones out there, but the Vortex is, so I'm glad that I dropped the cash on it.    The glass is excellent, the dot suits me great and fast on 1X compared to my previous scopes used in competition (SWFA 1-4x and Meopta ZD), and the reticule is uncluttered and works great for the 69gr rounds I'm using for long targets.  Loving the FOV and this scope so far.  The *only* thing I could complain about at this point is the lack of windage references at the holdover stadia, but that hasn't even been a problem so far at the local matches out to 480y in 10mph wind, plus Alamo gave me some good info on the width of the stadia.

Alamo was right about this scope.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't notice the weight of the scope at all, in response to some older comments above.  However, I'm not lugging it up mountains overseas.  My Vortex 1-6x is used for gaming, and I'm thrilled with it thus far.  Got it in November after watching this thread and Alamo's threads on Enos, and when OpticsPlanet was running a 10% off sale it was too tempting to pass up.  Ran it for the first time at a match in December and was instantly comfortable with it, given that I'm an Aimpoint fan and had been seeking a dot-type picture on 1X.  Not many good TX sun-bright ones out there, but the Vortex is, so I'm glad that I dropped the cash on it.    The glass is excellent, the dot suits me great and fast on 1X compared to my previous scopes used in competition (SWFA 1-4x and Meopta ZD), and the reticule is uncluttered and works great for the 69gr rounds I'm using for long targets.  Loving the FOV and this scope so far.  The *only* thing I could complain about at this point is the lack of windage references at the holdover stadia, but that hasn't even been a problem so far at the local matches out to 480y in 10mph wind, plus Alamo gave me some good info on the width of the stadia.

Alamo was right about this scope.  

Nice shooting.  I have been looking for a 3-Gun scope, and this seems like a very good option.  Unfortunately, I don't really get to do much distance shooting, so I don't really "need" one.  As such, I am just using an EOTech right now.  I would like to change that, however, if I can find some good matches in my area.

By the way, how do you like the FN?  I have been using an 1100 Tac4 with just a light-pipe front bead.  It has run perfectly so far.  However, I have a hard time getting a good weld on the stock, and often end up looking at an angle down the barrel, instead of parallel to it, and through the bead.  This means I have to aim under plates often, which slows me down.  It is also a pain to reload, and mods seem to have mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll send you an IM so as to not take this thread off-track.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far it hasn't died on mine and its had about 5hrs of use.  Thats all I've got till its dead.  It would be nice if I had a way of storeing an extra battery of this type on my rifle though.

One issue I'm having is that it seems, even with a cat tail, its a bit hard to change magnification.  Its really stiff and slow moving.  Is this an issue for anyone else?  Vortex say if I send it in they will try to adjust it for me for free but I'm not a fan of haveing my main rifle out of action for a while.

On board battery storage...

Here

Bret
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Bret Vortex is quick on the turn around with most repair / upgrades.   you would more than likely have it back in less than two weeks.  

When The clock is running I don't have an problem moving the zoom ring up or down.    I have not conisiderd the zoom stiffness a problem.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top