Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2012 7:42:25 AM EDT
Never really thought of an AR as home defense weapons, thats what a shottie is for. The other day I was watching a video on AR in home defense by Lenny Magill. He spent alot of time covered the 2 3/4in sights above the barrel. This puts your shot 2 3/4 low in CQC ranges. This got me thinking  with all the aftermarket stuff out there has anyone made a low profile iron site group at 1/2in off the barrel. This thought then brought up sight picture alignment with soemthign that low on a rifle meant for almost 3 in sights.

Any guru's got any thoughts experience with this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
With the AR stocks "inline" design feature seems like a good cheek weld could be challenging at best. That's why most optics have a riser thats needed to lift it up.

Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Even sights just barely above the rails on the receiver/handguard would be more than 1/2" above the bore.

The only low pro sights I have seen are the Troy micro sights for Higher railed ARs like the HK 416. I suppose these would work on a regular AR15, but would only really bring the sight line down about 1/2 an inch anyway.

In a CQC situation, I would just line the top of the aperature with the flat of the front sight block, then the top of the post will be pretty much spot on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
YHM QDS sites.  These are the lowest I use.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the fast replies. You have confirmed my thoughts on sight picture with nonstandard sights,

Thanks for the CQC sight adjustment also
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top