Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2011 4:06:25 PM EDT
Hey fellow shooters,

How can I properly sight my AR using a standard arbor style bore sighter? It's a snap on a bolt action rifle with a standard scope setup....but it becomes more difficult with a AR type flat top or similar with a higher scope mount in relation to the bore sight graph. Any suggestions or alternatives?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you just want to get it to shoot on paper, just separate the upper from the lower, remove the BCG, put the upper in a stable rest, then sight through the barrel at an object at least 25 yards away.  Use the scope adjustments to center the crosshairs on the same object, then reassemble the gun and start sighting in with ammo at 50 yards.  This is the method I've used for all my scoped guns and it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Good idea! I will try that ...thank you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you just want to get it to shoot on paper, just separate the upper from the lower, remove the BCG, put the upper in a stable rest, then sight through the barrel at an object at least 25 yards away.  Use the scope adjustments to center the crosshairs on the same object, then reassemble the gun and start sighting in with ammo at 50 yards.  This is the method I've used for all my scoped guns and it works pretty well.

This is how I've sighted in every rifle I own.  Works great and is cheap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The little boresight laser thing you can buy to stick in the end of the barrel has always worked like a snap for me when adding a new scope to a rifle.

Set your gun up in a gun vise all plumb straight and level in the 3-axis, put the laser boresighter in the end of your barrel aimed and centered at a grided target on the wall.  Adjust the new scope for proper eye relief and reticle level, then adjust the crosshairs vertically & horizontally to agree with the laser spot on the target and you're done.  I use 30 ft. as a distance from the end of the barrel to the target or this procedure.  It usually just takes me about 3-5 rounds to get perfectly zeroed-in using this method once I get the gun to a range and can fire it with live ammunition.  Almost certainly you'll be within an inch or two of your intended target.

P.S.:  Be sure to remove the laser boresighter from the barrel of your gun.  Not doing so has been disastrous for those who forgot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Pull the upper off the lower and set on a table outside (or in front of the window).
Look at something distinctive about 50yds away down the bore and move the upper to center it in the view down the bore.
Now, without moving the rifle upper, center your scope corsshairs by adjusting the turrets.

This is surprisingly accurate, especially for small bores and long barrels. I've done this several times and I'm within 5" of aim at 50yds everytime.
Take to the range and it'll take 3-5 shots to zero it. In a SHTF situation, something this simple can easily get you minute-of-man out to about 100yds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

well said
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top