Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2011 8:28:56 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had one of these for a little over a year now, and I am impressed with it, particularly for the cost. I did have a wobble with it, in that under the turret Allen screws are rubber/silicon o-rings. When tightened down, or rather you can't fully tighten them down without shredding the o-rings. This leaves a little slop in the turrets, which I didn't like at all. The clicks are firm, yes, but I didn't like the play. In the end I ditched the 0-rings, and liberally applied silicon grease to the base of the screw heads instead. Job done, firm clicks and no play. It currently sits on my dedicated .22AR, but might find it's way back onto my .223..............
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No complaints with mine.  I use a Bobro mount on a 14.5", and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Great video!
Very well done.

I have to say I really like the CMR too. Can't be beat for the money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I wondered when you were going to get around to doing a vid on that. Dig your new entro btw.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How much is it ?
It depends on where you buy it.  $329 from Midway.  Hi-Lux says the full retail is $399.  But I've seen them as low as $299 at times.  I mention in the video they're in the $300 range.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wondered when you were going to get around to doing a vid on that. Dig your new entro btw.

I wanted to shoot it for a while before shooting the review.

I have an ART M-1000 on the way.  I'm really looking forward to digging into that scope.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Great vid ! if I saw it I would have bought it...
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used my CMR all year in several 3-Gun Matches and it's holding up very well to the abuse I've put it through in both matches and in practice. It's a great little scope for the $.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
SWFA has a special going on right now for the CMR and SSALT mount for $289 (after $25 MIR).

CLICK ME!
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanted to shoot it for a while before shooting the review.

I have an ART M-1000 on the way.  I'm really looking forward to digging into that scope.  

Hey, I just remembered that they are coming out with their DMR scope soon (supposedly). It's a 2 or 2.5-10 with similar features to the CMR and possibly a 35mm main tube (the downside), and 36moa adjustable with the turret locked. You may have jumped the shark a hair with the ART M-1000. Then again, I dig watching reviews of your's and Nutn's while returning from out west on I-94 in the evening after deliveries are done. Another scope is still potentially another review.

Keep up the good work.

edit- I mean LISTENING, not watching...... Watching vids @ 80+ mph is a no-no.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I am going to get one of these scopes.

How "busy" is the recticle?

I know its a lot to ask in this price range, but a crisp recticle is key for me.

I have been leaning away from the burris' for that reason.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I am going to get one of these scopes.

How "busy" is the recticle?

I know its a lot to ask in this price range, but a crisp recticle is key for me.

I have been leaning away from the burris' for that reason.

reticle is good to go.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
A little off topic then, but should I go green or red w/ the illumination?
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
kind of a coin toss........try green.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]

The boss of Hi-Lux told me that they sell 3 green to every one red CMR. It seems like more people like the green reticle than the red.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#17]
How is the reticle illumination during the day?

I am seeking a scope in the 3-5 bill range, and they all seem to  lack the brightness to make the illumination visible during the day.

That slightly concerns me w/ the CMR because I have heard the black etched reticle is very/almost too thin?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Where is this scope made?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How is the reticle illumination during the day?

I am seeking a scope in the 3-5 bill range, and they all seem to  lack the brightness to make the illumination visible during the day.

That slightly concerns me w/ the CMR because I have heard the black etched reticle is very/almost too thin?

it is not daylight visible in bright light.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where is this scope made?

designed in the US, made in China
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The boss of Hi-Lux told me that they sell 3 green to every one red CMR. It seems like more people like the green reticle than the red.

I really like the green illumination, more so than the red of my XTR. When I finally get a TA33 I'll be getting green for sure!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm thinking about buying a close-medium range scope. I just have a few questions I hope someone can answer. It'll be going on this PSA rifle. My main concern deals with the front sight being visible through the optic. I don't want to remove or replace the gas block or front sight (not even sure if I can anyways).

If I buy this Leatherwood CMR with those mounts will it clear my front sight? How much of the front sight, if any, will I see through this scope?

I was also looking at this Leupold with the same concerns.

Thanks!

ETA: if either of those mounts that come with the package deal are no good, is there a different option that would allow it to clear the front sight?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#23]
At 1X you'll see a ghost of the front site but its really not a problem & doesn't obstruct the target. On higher powers it goes away. That's my experience with these types of scopes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
At 1X you'll see a ghost of the front site but its really not a problem & doesn't obstruct the target. On higher powers it goes away. That's my experience with these types of scopes.

With what mounts? The mounts shown or did you get a higher mount?

I ask because I had a no-zoom red dot and the iron sight was right in the way.. kinda defeated the purpose of the red dot when it ended up sitting on top of the iron sight anyways. I just don't want the scope to have the front sight smack dab in the middle of my sight picture.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ask because I had a no-zoom red dot and the iron sight was right in the way.. kinda defeated the purpose of the red dot when it ended up sitting on top of the iron sight anyways. I just don't want the scope to have the front sight smack dab in the middle of my sight picture.

Red dot sights are usually set-up to either co-witness with the irons or have a lower 1/3 co-witness (irons in lower portion of optic).  The front sight doesn't get in the way if you use the red dot as designed.  With both eyes open, you should only see the dot on the target.  The front sight will not be in focus, so it shouldn't be "in the way".
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red dot sights are usually set-up to either co-witness with the irons or have a lower 1/3 co-witness (irons in lower portion of optic).  The front sight doesn't get in the way if you use the red dot as designed.  With both eyes open, you should only see the dot on the target.  The front sight will not be in focus, so it shouldn't be "in the way".

I guess it goes without saying that I'm new to this.. haha. I didn't know I was supposed to keep both eyes open. It was a cheap-o red dot so it was not parallax free. That red dot moved around a ton if I didn't get the exact same cheek weld and I ended up having to kinda move my head til the red dot sat on the front iron. Figured if I had to do that, I may as well just use the irons.

I imagine a nice parallax free red dot is a lot easier to use? I'm looking more towards a small zoom scope is because I usually target shoot clay pigeon sized targets at 50 yards or so and I can barely see them. I like 50-100 yard shooting and 1-4x or so zoom sounds about right for that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 3 ARs with AR fixed front sight towers and mounting these types of scopes using La Rue LT-104's.  Like I described above its not an issue if you don't dwell on the ghost image of the front sight while looking at the target. I'm building another with the same situation and it doesn't bother me.

My .02

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I like that scope but it's a 1-4x if they made it in 2-8x I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#29]
is there anymore to be said about this optic? seems like it its a good deal. but is the illuminated recital really not daylight visible because that might be a deal breaker
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice piece of glass for they money .
The reticle is a bit fine though to see in dull overcast days and to pick up quickly on black or multy coloured targets ,
on a white backer it is the way to go though .
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I just picked up the CMR "kit" from SWFA this afternoon.

They let me compare several other products side-by-side (including the 1-4x24 SS Kit 4 setup), and I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Don't get me wrong, the SS is VERY NICE, but for the money the CMR is hard to beat.

I too had concerns about how fine the recticle might be, so that's why I wanted to get some hands-on looking first.

It was 4:30pm when I had a chance to check the illumination against the sunlight outside. It does "wash out" the illumination, but the recticle itself is still completely visible.

Now I just need to find a good/solid QD mount!
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top