Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2011 12:20:57 PM EDT
I am building a fun range gun. Something to shoot from 50 - 250 yards at the range. I like the size of the 1-4x scopes, but not sure if I will need more power. The Vortex Viper 2-7x has really good reviews and sounds like a winner for the closeout price or would I be better off with the 3-9x for the 250 yard shots? I am not looking for speed, just a fun hole puncher. Any advice on the power of scope for my application would be appreciated. Below is the gun it will be mounted on.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the 1-4x trijicon.  The Vortex PST is also a good quality optic that won't kill you with the price.  Just a few examples but go around...look at different optics and see what you think you would like best.  If you are shooting within 250m you shouldn't need more than 4x and if you are going to do some shooting within 50m you might not want any magnification.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For paper punching, I like a 3-9x.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The first question is, what are you shooting at and how accurate do you need to be?  Are you going for large steel targets, or paper bullseye targets?  How much do you care about group size?

General recommendation is to go with as little magnification as you can get away with.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't tell you how much I like my Vortex Viper 2-7 on my 16" SPR/RECCE.  I'd rather have it than a lower quality 3-9x, the glass is so clear it's useable at 7x without an issue.  I had a cheap 3-9x before and the clarity made it much less useful.

You can't find a scope half as good as the Viper 2-7x for the price.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't tell you how much I like my Vortex Viper 2-7 on my 16" SPR/RECCE.  I'd rather have it than a lower quality 3-9x, the glass is so clear it's useable at 7x without an issue.  I had a cheap 3-9x before and the clarity made it much less useful.

RFA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE_ckzaPIsU

My brother put the 2-7x33 on the NEF Blackpowder rifle that I gave him
and the 3-9x40 on his 6.8 20".  I like both very much.

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I will be shooting bullseye targets. Nothing to exciting. The two scopes I was looking at were the Vortex Viper 2-7 and the Redfield Revolution 3-9. I am leaning toward the viper, I just hope it has enough magnification. In reality I will be on the 50-100 yard range mainly, but would like to have the ability to go to the longer range if I want.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on opinions throughout the web, I went ahead and ordered the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 from SWFA.com with free shipping today!
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Based on opinions throughout the web, I went ahead and ordered the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 from SWFA.com with free shipping today!

I had looked at the Redfield also but felt the Viper was a better deal and it received stelar reviews everywhere I looked.  I may pick up another one while they are in stock just to have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 1-4 and I want a 3-9.

Get the 3-9.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get the 3-9.

Too late. Got the 2-7
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get the 3-9.

I have both, I wouldn't part with either. You will need 2 QD mounts, or one more rifle (the preferred method).

The 3-9 is nice, but I shoot the 1-4 just about as well at the 100 yard bench. Farther out the 3-9 holds them a little tighter, but for informal plinking I don't shoot high enough quality ammo to really take advantage of magnification. Out to 200 and a little beyond I don't see any benefit to the extra Xs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the 3-9.

I have both, I wouldn't part with either. You will need 2 QD mounts, or one more rifle (the preferred method).

The 3-9 is nice, but I shoot the 1-4 just about as well at the 100 yard bench. Farther out the 3-9 holds them a little tighter, but for informal plinking I don't shoot high enough quality ammo to really take advantage of magnification. Out to 200 and a little beyond I don't see any benefit to the extra Xs.

This what I was thinking. Time to spend as much on a mount as I did on the scope.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Op sounds to be set but the scope I recomend for those on a budget is the leupoid rifleman line

I believe the current price is $190 for the 2X7 or $200 for the 3X9

Never used the 3X9 but I have a couple of the 2X7 and they are bright,clear and quite compact

Not in the same class as the high end Leupoids but a giant leap ahead of the numerous $100 to $149 junk discount stuff out there.

The turrets are friction as opposed to the "click" adjustments found on the upper leupoids but for a scope one is going to mount,zero and pretty much leave alone it works just fine
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RFA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE_ckzaPIsU

My brother put the 2-7x33 on the NEF Blackpowder rifle that I gave him
and the 3-9x40 on his 6.8 20".  I like both very much.

That was a VERY cool demonstration video! You could actually see the bullet path as it flew through the air!

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the 3-9.

This what I was thinking. Time to spend as much on a mount as I did on the scope.

You won't regret it either I will never part with ANY of my LaRue mounts. I can swap back & forth with the optics designated for the same weapon without having to re-zero.

What barrel did you install?
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I just recently picked up a Vortex Viper 2-7 from SWFA.  Couldn't beat the price.  I wanted the versaplex reticle and 32 objective specifically for my 870 12-gauge slug gun.  I couldn't be happier with the purchase.  Comparatively, it's a very good value for the dollar amount spent.  For a range toy I think you made the right decision.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the 3-9.

You won't regret it either I will never part with ANY of my LaRue mounts. I can swap back & forth with the optics designated for the same weapon without having to re-zero.

What barrel did you install?

For now, it is the stock Colt barrel that came with the gun in 1999. Depending how it shoots, I may or may not replace it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top