Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:22:57 PM EDT
I just took a look at this red dot type scope at my local gun shop. I would like to place this on my Colt Hbar. My question is would I have problems with clearance issues with the fixed front sight? And.....does anyone have any experience with this sight? It seems pretty sturdy but I have never heard of this brand before.

The price is right at $125, that's for sure. But I also know that you get what you pay for especially when it comes to optics. I'm not looking to use this for target shooting. I want to use this on my AR for hunting Coyote. SO I need a quick acquisition red dot type set up to be able to pick up a coyote trottin in from 200 yards in. Do you think this set up would work?

here is a photo of it
http://www.atomictactical.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=8500508

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
cheap optics are never worth it. save up for something better.

in regards to magnified optics and fixed front sights - at 3x you shouldn't really notice the FSB. it might appear as ghosted image in the bottom of the scope, but nothing distracting.

also, do you want a red dot or an illuminated reticle scope? That thing is the later. A red dot is 1x and parallax free. Much different than a conventional or illuminated scope.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want decent quality glass with variable 1-3x magnification, I would suggest looking at the Weaver V3.

The 1x is pretty close to true 1x magnification, and this scope is well regarded amongst users including many 3 gun types.

I have one for my carbine and it's a compact and handy little scope for short range applications.  It's not rugged like an ACOG by any means, but if you're not making it your bitch like an infantryman would it might suit your needs rather well.  The added benefit over a fixed 3x being that you can dial it down to 1x and have an optic that is readily usable at CQB ranges.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Coyotes are wily.  You will likely find yourself wanting more than 3x.

Get the Burris fullfield II 3-9 with the ballistic Pyle reticle.  Best scope deal out there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input everyone. To answer some of the questions above, I do want or at least would prefer a lighted reticle. I will be hunting Coyote at night and under 200 yards. So I don't need much more magnification. Now if we were talking strictly days hunts then I would prefer more magnification. But at night I wont be taking a shot over 200 99% of the time. Usually by the time I pick em up he is already in pretty close and I need to be able to take a snap shot as fast as possible. So that is why need the lighted reticle. Plus I already have a 4-12x on a removable mount that is set up for this AR for day stands. So the lighted one will be mainly for night hunts.

Thanks again for all the help and info.

And other ideas for this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
So has anyone actually received the Burris 332 and given it a good test yet?
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 4:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking for some budget price optics, check out Primary Arms. As a dealer they stand behind there product. The Sig optics are total junk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at this Sig sight also.  I know it is a cheap Chinese sight but the Sig website lists lifetime warrantee.  Also Primary Arms use to sell what appreared to be the exact same scope with rails all over it and everyone loved it.  In fact everytime I see a Primary Arms scope on the EE it seems to go quickly.  I haven't seen much about the CP1.  I have a coupe of 1x4 scopes and was looking for something that is not 11 inches long.  I just don't need an $800 acog to shoot paper. David
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
This scope is a tiny little thing. Maybe 5 inches long and 2 inches tall if that. For a buck and a quarter if it can stay on target it might be worth a try. I would love to check out the Burris. I worry about buying an optic site unseen and not being able to actually hold the scope in my hands. No one anywhere near me has one to check out in person. If I could see it in person and get an idea on the weight, size, and optic clarity then I'd feel better about picking one up. But my main worry is that reticle. It looks very busy and with that thick center dot on the small game size I plan on using it for I have a feeling that it will block out a good portion of the game I am hunting. (Coyote)

Does anyone know anywhere in SoCal that has the Burris in store to see in person?
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This scope is a tiny little thing. Maybe 5 inches long and 2 inches tall if that. For a buck and a quarter if it can stay on target it might be worth a try. I would love to check out the Burris. I worry about buying an optic site unseen and not being able to actually hold the scope in my hands. No one anywhere near me has one to check out in person. If I could see it in person and get an idea on the weight, size, and optic clarity then I'd feel better about picking one up. But my main worry is that reticle. It looks very busy and with that thick center dot on the small game size I plan on using it for I have a feeling that it will block out a good portion of the game I am hunting. (Coyote)

Does anyone know anywhere in SoCal that has the Burris in store to see in person?

I saw a Burris at Cabelas.  I was unimpressed.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top