Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2011 7:25:51 AM EDT
Well I have some good news and some bad news. Many of you were very helpful on my decision in this thread and I very much appreciate it.
Okay, first off with the good. Sport Optics has been 100% behind me. The owner himself has been working with me to get my problem resolved.
And now for the bad. I received my 1-4 with the FC-2 reticle. It is very clear and very easy to get on target. The problem is the illumination. For those of you who don't know, the center circle and the dot are to light up, which they do. the bars on either side are not suppose to light up. On my optic the left tip of the left bar is very bright and is very much a distraction. When I called Sport Optic they went to replace it. Before boxing one of the 3 they had left in stock up, they checked it for the problem I am having and sure enough all three of them are having the same issue.  
They told me I can send it in and get it replaced when they get some in stock that do not have this problem, but that could take a month or more. My other option was to keep the scope, use it with the problem and then after summer is over (In WI we only get a few months to shoot before we have to worry about frost bite) send it to Nightforce to have the problem fixed. Either way Sport Optics has my back and will make sure that this is made right for me.
I decided to keep it. I will send it in for repair after I run it through the summer since I wont really need to turn it on for range use and I have plenty of other options for home defense.

Pictures.
My two Nightforces, the 3-15 NXS Mill/Mill on my OBR and my ArmaLite M15 with the new NXS on it.

The Ugly.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Weird that it made it through their QC with that defect.

Agree.  

Have you called nightforce by any chance?  You might be surprised once you explain your situation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird that it made it through their QC with that defect.

Agree.  

Have you called nightforce by any chance?  You might be surprised once you explain your situation.

I considered going directly to Nightforce but decided to contact S.O. and they have been great thus far.
I am surprised that multiple got through QC with this issue. It is visible even on the lowest setting.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd suggest you call NF. They might be able to resolve your problem faster.

Absolutely.  Call NF direct and send them the picture.  This should embarrass them, and motivate them to help you as efficiently as possible.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
did you try turning the dimmer down a hair?
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
the dimmer on the NF illuminated recticle, its under the cap, instructions are in the manual
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Adjusting the variable illumination reticle intensity on the NXS riflescope.

When the Nightforce NXS reticle illumination system is activated it will illuminate at one predetermined setting. You have the ability to change the reticle illumination intensity by turning a small rheostat located inside the battery compartment. Using a small jewelers screwdriver, turn the rheostat counter clockwise to increase the illumination intensity or turn the rheostat clockwise to decrease the illumination intensity.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Adjusting the variable illumination reticle intensity on the NXS riflescope.
When the Nightforce NXS reticle illumination system is activated it will illuminate at one predetermined setting. You have the ability to change the reticle illumination intensity by turning a small rheostat located inside the battery compartment. Using a small jewelers screwdriver, turn the rheostat counter clockwise to increase the illumination intensity or turn the rheostat clockwise to decrease the illumination intensity.

I adjusted it all the way up and all the way down.  
Same problem. I will let sport optic try to make this right like I'm sure they will. If they do not I will contact Nightforce direct.
I just hate to buy it and then not have it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

the dimmer on the NF illuminated recticle, its under the cap, instructions are in the manual

Not on the compacts. The illumination is controlled by rotating the knob on the left side of the scope, where the parallax adjustment is on the other NXS models.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I only have the 5.5*22*56 that is where I found it I made it too bright it would light up too much of the recticle
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
That paneling is ugly. You should look at sheet rocking the wall and going with a lighter color.

Very nice guns. I'm sure NF will take care of you. Like others have said, call them directly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That paneling is ugly. You should look at sheet rocking the wall and going with a lighter color.

Very nice guns. I'm sure NF will take care of you. Like others have said, call them directly.

First off, my girlfriend and I rent our apartment. Second off our place is a barn that was turned into an apartment. The room with the paneling is my gunroom/ man cave. It was the the silo when this was a barn so it is a round room. It is actually very cool.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I called NF about whether or not painting the scope would affect the warranty and the tech said he never so a case of a warranty denied
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I called NF about whether or not painting the scope would affect the warranty and the tech said he never so a case of a warranty denied

I'm sure they will take care of me. I just don't feel like giving up the scope I sold my ACOG to buy so that it can get repaired when I only have a few months to truly enjoy getting to use it. This will not stop me from buying a third nightforce down the road but I am irritated that a $1200 scope made it through QC with such an obvious problem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised about that illumination issue.  Never seen a QC issue like that in a NF before, ever.  If 300 yards is your max on silhouettes, you're going to really like that scope - if you haven't figured that out already!  I once owned a 1-4 NXS and had the NP-1 reticle swapped to a FC-2.  I thought NF was excellent to deal with.  I found the customer service to be devoid of personality - which I actually prefer.  

On the bleeding of the illumination, I've seen that on a 1-4 NXS mil-dot as well.  Only at the highest setting though.  That said, under any circumstance where blooming would hinder your FOV against the NF's ultra-fine reticle - you wouldn't have it on the highest setting anyway.  That red booger off to the left would bother me though, if for no other reason than the price tag of imperfection.  NF is better than that.  I'm sure they'd make it right.

Nice guns too btw
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#18]
That's weird! I have NEVER seen that with a NF before. Weird. You will really like the FC2 ret especially inside 300 yds but once you learn the holds using the circle and triangle it is very capable out to 500... I am sure that NF will square that away pronto, so I wouldn't worry about them resolving it promptly and with no hassle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I contacted NF and they sent me a postage label. I sent it to them on Thursday and got it back today.
It came back working perfect! Also, sport optics sent me a nightforce hat for my trouble.
I am very impressed with Nightforce customer service. It is everything you expect from a high end scope company.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats good to know

Glad they took care of the problem for you...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top