Link Posted: 5/27/2011 11:29:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Model used 517
Length of service About 12 months
Firearms used on Ruger SR556
Number of rounds Around 600
Anything else that is pertinent The original batteries lasted me almost the whole year. I did turn it off when it was stored in my house.
Any problems encountered and customer service experience While in a competition, i started on a shaded side, while moving along i went to a place where the sun was over myself and the target, there was a blur moment when i got on target. The eotech reticle appear to slowly move to the center of the glass and it took me a second to fire that section of the course. Only happen once.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello new to the forum. Hoping to get any info about the eotech 553 with a.r.m.s quick detach mount.
Recently bought a used one. works great, some of my ar15s ive tried mounting it on, the sight was a lil loose on the rail.
Question: Is there any way to adjust the tension on the a.r.m.s mounts? Looked on yahoo and google and too many sale offers.
Any info would be appreciated thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Im wanting to get a EOTECH EXPS or XPS for my AR, my question is when the battery change is needed do you have to pull the sight completely off to change batteries or can you change out batteries with it still mounted? Ive also looked at the 512 and 517 but I think I like the size of the shorter EXPS and XPS models....Are there any more upgrades on these models compared to the bigger 512-517 models ? I know the smaller models use a cr123 battery compared to the bigger AA batteries.......any thing you guys can reccomend ? ANY Do's and Do Not's ? Thanks......
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Onlyaspike:
Im wanting to get a EOTECH EXPS or XPS for my AR, my question is when the battery change is needed do you have to pull the sight completely off to change batteries or can you change out batteries with it still mounted? Ive also looked at the 512 and 517 but I think I like the size of the shorter EXPS and XPS models....Are there any more upgrades on these models compared to the bigger 512-517 models ? I know the smaller models use a cr123 battery compared to the bigger AA batteries.......any thing you guys can reccomend ? ANY Do's and Do Not's ? Thanks......

Can't speak to the EXPS but on my XPS2-2 the battery is easy to change. Just unscrew the cap, sight stays on weapon.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 2:48:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brasscrossedrifles] [#10]
I'm convinced on the EOtech, but I have questions about zeroing, cowitness, and being able to have a BUIS and the G33FTS magnifier at the same time.

(1) Do the optics come out of the box mounting/cowitnessing lower, higher, or the same as the CompM4 I'm issued?
(2) If not the same, how does this affect zeroing?
(3) If not the same, what riser would make it the same?
(4) Will the G33FTS fit over the matech BUIS? what about with the included 7mm riser? Are there BUIS that fit under it with or without the riser?
(5) What mount would put the EXPS or 512 at the same height as the magnifier on the riser?

I'm a pretty simple minded (but thorough and thoughtful) kind of grunt. If the answer is that the optic is (out of the box) the same height as my issued CCO, and the magnifier will fit over a matech out of the box without the riser, a simple "Roger, you're good to go" is sufficient.

Your experience and input is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to get an XPS2 along with a magnifier. Is is hard to turn/off, adjust brightness settings due to the placement of the buttons on the rear of the sight with a mag mounted? In other words, does the mag get in the way?
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 9:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#12]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
I'm convinced on the EOtech, but I have questions about zeroing, cowitness, and being able to have a BUIS and the G33FTS magnifier at the same time.

(1) Do the optics come out of the box mounting/cowitnessing lower, higher, or the same as the CompM4 I'm issued? Your CompM4 is probably absolute co-witness. The 553 and EXPS (maybe others) are 1/3 lower co-witness (the sight sits a little higher) but older models are absolute co-witness.

(2) If not the same, how does this affect zeroing? Zeroing isn't affected at all.

(3) If not the same, what riser would make it the same? You will only need a riser if you get an absolute co-witness model and want 1/3 lower co-witness.

(4) Will the G33FTS fit over the matech BUIS? what about with the included 7mm riser? Are there BUIS that fit under it with or without the riser? It looks like it will judging by this pic:

(5) What mount would put the EXPS or 512 at the same height as the magnifier on the riser? The magnifier comes with a riser so it is compatible with either absolute or 1/3 lower co-witness.

I'm a pretty simple minded (but thorough and thoughtful) kind of grunt. If the answer is that the optic is (out of the box) the same height as my issued CCO, and the magnifier will fit over a matech out of the box without the riser, a simple "Roger, you're good to go" is sufficient.

Your experience and input is much appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I am new here, and I apologize if this has been asked or answered. I looked around but did not see it, so I'll throw it up.

I am currently debating between the following, and am trying to figure out which to get. I do not require nightvision, but am interested in adding a magnified at some point in the future. It is my SHTF Rifle as I already have multiple pistols in the apartment for home defense. My weapon sight experience is primarily with iron sights, the CCO from the Army, and the ACOG. I love the ACOG and wanted to get one, but cannot justify dropping the cash on one right now, so I opted to go with the EO Tech as I was never a fan of the CCO.

1) EO Tech 517.A65
 - Originally looking at this one because of price point, common battery, and the side buttons

2) XPS2-0
 - Looked at this because of the size, but unsure of the battery life and the battery itself. Not sure how I feel about the rear mounted buttons

3) EXPS2
 - Same reasons as the XPS2-0 but it has the side mounted buttons

With the XPS and EXPS I will have to wait until March because of the back log, but if they are the better way to go, then that's what I am willing to do. I am trying to avoid the EXPS because of the price point, but am leaving all options on the table. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Typed this out for another thread, and figured I may as well re-post it here for others who may be interested:

To recap - I own an EOTech 552.A65 Rev. F, and two EOTech 553.A65TAN SU-231/PEQs.  The 552 has been owned since 2007, and while I have had one 553 since 2010, and another since 2011.  The 552 I bought used from after having been used previously in Iraq (it was a great deal!  ), and one of the 553s was used in Afghanistan.  

EOTechs tend to be a polarizing issue on many "gun" forums, and I have little interest in getting into an EOTech versus Aimpoint debate, however, I must interject:

To imply that US SOF is somehow saddled with the EOTech against their will "because that's what the government bought them" is patently false. Evidence to this effect has not only been tendered by recent and operational members of those communities, but also the fact that while the Aimpoint was standard issue, many end-users elected to personally purchase their own EOTechs and even Bushnell Holosights, while many units chose to purchase them using unit funds, the direct consequence being the eventual adoption of EOTechs over Aimpoints as the "official" USSOCOM issue optic. Furthermore, particularly with regards to USASOC - the Aimpoint CompM4 and M4S already exist in huge numbers within the Army supply system as the M68CCO, and it would be less than overwhelming for USASOC to arrange to be equipped with reflex sights under their "home" component and use Aimpoints if they so desired.

In addition, the implication that US SOF simply tears through EOTechs without concern for longevity "because they can just buy new ones," as if they're running one operation, then trading their optic in for a NIB unit is also not supported by any evidence. In fact, the EOTech 551.A65, a model that has been discontinued for several years, the "tragically flawed N-cell EOTech" is still in relatively wide service with some of the best equipped units within the establishment - the kind that can afford $40,000 NVDs. If EOTech service life were in fact so atrociously short - the discontinued 551 should have faded from service long ago, as should the 552s, also quite common.

The idea of using an EOTech without iron sights of any kind is not an unusual one. It's just... not. By people who have a much more realistic expectation of needing to use an optic equipped weapon in their own self defense, or even in offensive operations than the vast majority of people here. If the EOTech were so unreliable to the point of continually needing BUIS, the leaders in the various organizations that use EOTechs would be cracking heads and bringing down unholy hell on anyone caught without BUIS. Particularly in small unit tactics - if there was so much risk associated with the use of EOTechs - it would be an unacceptable risk to allow even one person to go into action without BUIS, as it would endanger the entire unit if even one weapon became NMC (non-mission capable - unable to be accurately aimed). Nor would their peers allow this either.

They do, however, get free, and nearly unlimited batteries.

I have my own personal experiences as well to draw upon, some of which is organizational, in favor of the use of the EOTech.

I have personally owned four Aimpoints and three EOTechs in my life. I currently do not own a single Aimpoint, and fully intend to purchase more EOTechs when it becomes realistic for me to do so. I have used, and had come through my responsibility literally hundreds of Aimpoints, but still prefer the EOTech.

A couple other comments:

- I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't comment on why this is so - but EOTechs, from what I can tell - don't like being neglected. They don't like being left alone for weeks or months at a time, only to be turned on at intervals. Almost every EOTech problem that I have heard of has involved an EOTech that was in some form of storage for significant periods of its service life, rather than being in continual use.

- For whatever reason the above is true - it may be that EOTechs, by a combination of battery life, for reasons already mentioned (laser pattern emitter versus LED diode) and aversion to neglect - they may not be the best option for a casual civilian shooter with a day job for home defense, or even an LEO who stores their weapon in a rack 99% of the time, only to deploy during emergencies and/or the occasional warrant service or SWAT "op."

As with any other equipment choices - you need to understand what you're getting, its advantages and limitations, and above all, be realistic about your needs and ability to maximize the advantages while mitigating the disadvantages.

Regardless of personal ego and conceits - it is a simple fact that the needs of a service member that is forward deployed do not always correspond with the needs of an armed citizen or LEO. You need to choose your equipment based on your actual mission profile, whether its home defense or civil order or kinetic or full-spectrum military operations, and understand what it is that you are training for, if at all. Some people just want to look cool and plink at the range.

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an Eotech 512, don't know the revision.  So far it's been great, on the first set of batteries I installed (Energizer AA, I don't trust Duracell any longer).  I turn it off when not in use.  It was purchased two years ago (late 2011)

My question is maybe not optics related.  I recently bought a Primary Arms 3x magnifier.  I can't fit both on the rail of a Colt flat-top since the handguard interferes with the bottom of the Eotech.  I pulled the handguards and installed the magnifier and Eotech together and like the combination.  So, are there any sort-of-stock handguards I can use or should I take a Dremel to the top of the Colt handguards?  (this actually sounds like a way to end up with a cracked handguard so I don't really plan to do it).

What worked for you?

I don't want to get into a free-float handguard at this point; maybe in the future I will.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
551, had about 2 years on a rifle and about 4k rounds. Started draining the batteries in a matter of days, sent in for warranty service and got it back in a week and a half. Sold it an the rifle not long after.

Bought a 553.A65 black SU231/PEQ Feb of this year, reticle started getting dim in daylight(suspected nitrogen leak) then the battery springs fell out after about 4 months and 1500 rounds.  Sent it in, door-to-door in less than a week. Looking at the shipping info, they got it fixed and back in the mail on the same day.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Augee:
Typed this out for another thread, and figured I may as well re-post it here for others who may be interested:

To recap - I own an EOTech 552.A65 Rev. F, and two EOTech 553.A65TAN SU-231/PEQs.  The 552 has been owned since 2007, and while I have had one 553 since 2010, and another since 2011.  The 552 I bought used from after having been used previously in Iraq (it was a great deal!  ), and one of the 553s was used in Afghanistan.  

EOTechs tend to be a polarizing issue on many "gun" forums, and I have little interest in getting into an EOTech versus Aimpoint debate, however, I must interject:

To imply that US SOF is somehow saddled with the EOTech against their will "because that's what the government bought them" is patently false. Evidence to this effect has not only been tendered by recent and operational members of those communities, but also the fact that while the Aimpoint was standard issue, many end-users elected to personally purchase their own EOTechs and even Bushnell Holosights, while many units chose to purchase them using unit funds, the direct consequence being the eventual adoption of EOTechs over Aimpoints as the "official" USSOCOM issue optic. Furthermore, particularly with regards to USASOC - the Aimpoint CompM4 and M4S already exist in huge numbers within the Army supply system as the M68CCO, and it would be less than overwhelming for USASOC to arrange to be equipped with reflex sights under their "home" component and use Aimpoints if they so desired.

In addition, the implication that US SOF simply tears through EOTechs without concern for longevity "because they can just buy new ones," as if they're running one operation, then trading their optic in for a NIB unit is also not supported by any evidence. In fact, the EOTech 551.A65, a model that has been discontinued for several years, the "tragically flawed N-cell EOTech" is still in relatively wide service with some of the best equipped units within the establishment - the kind that can afford $40,000 NVDs. If EOTech service life were in fact so atrociously short - the discontinued 551 should have faded from service long ago, as should the 552s, also quite common.

The idea of using an EOTech without iron sights of any kind is not an unusual one. It's just... not. By people who have a much more realistic expectation of needing to use an optic equipped weapon in their own self defense, or even in offensive operations than the vast majority of people here. If the EOTech were so unreliable to the point of continually needing BUIS, the leaders in the various organizations that use EOTechs would be cracking heads and bringing down unholy hell on anyone caught without BUIS. Particularly in small unit tactics - if there was so much risk associated with the use of EOTechs - it would be an unacceptable risk to allow even one person to go into action without BUIS, as it would endanger the entire unit if even one weapon became NMC (non-mission capable - unable to be accurately aimed). Nor would their peers allow this either.

They do, however, get free, and nearly unlimited batteries.

I have my own personal experiences as well to draw upon, some of which is organizational, in favor of the use of the EOTech.

I have personally owned four Aimpoints and three EOTechs in my life. I currently do not own a single Aimpoint, and fully intend to purchase more EOTechs when it becomes realistic for me to do so. I have used, and had come through my responsibility literally hundreds of Aimpoints, but still prefer the EOTech.

A couple other comments:

- I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't comment on why this is so - but EOTechs, from what I can tell - don't like being neglected. They don't like being left alone for weeks or months at a time, only to be turned on at intervals. Almost every EOTech problem that I have heard of has involved an EOTech that was in some form of storage for significant periods of its service life, rather than being in continual use.

- For whatever reason the above is true - it may be that EOTechs, by a combination of battery life, for reasons already mentioned (laser pattern emitter versus LED diode) and aversion to neglect - they may not be the best option for a casual civilian shooter with a day job for home defense, or even an LEO who stores their weapon in a rack 99% of the time, only to deploy during emergencies and/or the occasional warrant service or SWAT "op."

As with any other equipment choices - you need to understand what you're getting, its advantages and limitations, and above all, be realistic about your needs and ability to maximize the advantages while mitigating the disadvantages.

Regardless of personal ego and conceits - it is a simple fact that the needs of a service member that is forward deployed do not always correspond with the needs of an armed citizen or LEO. You need to choose your equipment based on your actual mission profile, whether its home defense or civil order or kinetic or full-spectrum military operations, and understand what it is that you are training for, if at all. Some people just want to look cool and plink at the range.

~Augee
View Quote

what if I pulled the batteries out, and only put them in when I needed the rds (it will  be  in storage). would that solve those problems?
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#18]
So far a very useful thread to me.  I know little of EO Techs many models, Is there one  that uses AA batteries and can easily swithch, Point of aim wise from a flatop AR-15 to a Flattop AR-10.  My AR 10 only has a 16 inch barrel, but I would expect to use it at longer ranges than the AR-15.  I am just punching paper and tin cans, but I would like to be consitan shooting.  If this seem a bad idea say so and I'll use my iron sights on the AR10.  I have no sights, now, on the AR15 I am building.  It will get shot a lot more than the AR10.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm being offered an XPS2 as a trade for my Aimpoint Pro. What is the battery life on this particular model?

I know the battery in my Pro has lasted a few years so far and would like at least the same life for the Eotech.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a question about Mounting an Eotech 512 I intend to use on a Tavor. The center dot and ring are 1moa and 65moa. But does this change depending on the eye relief which is infinite. I was wondering at what distance from the eye do you get the stated reticle size. Is it the 4 inches listed in the field of view spec.
Display Window

•  

Optical Surfaces: Anti-reflection coating

•  

Window Dimensions: 1.20” x 0.85” (30 x 23mm)

•  Front Window Material:  Shatter resistant glass 1/8"

(3.17mm)

•  

Rear Window Material: Shatter resistant laminate (3/16” (4.76mm) thick)

•  

Field of View 100 yds (91m): 30 yds (28m) at a 4” eye relief

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#21]
The reticle will be 1/65 MOA regardless of where it is positioned. However; the further from your eye it is mounted, the more of the sight window it will cover. Closer and you must look more through the sight, further and you must look more around the sight.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I am trying to get info on this eotech

It is a March 2005 manufacture date and was taken off a prison issue M14. I just need to know if $250 is too much to pay for it or if I shouldn't waste my money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#23]
EOTech 512
Originally purchased in 2005
PSA AR-15

Picked up a used EOTECH 512 a few weeks ago. Although the reticle works fine in areas with low light, the reticle is barely visible in direct sunlight. I wrote to EOTech to see about getting a repair done, they refused and said I needed to buy a new optic. Obviously the unit is out of warranty, but I was at least expecting them to give me a quote on a repair cost. Negative experience with customer service.

Does anyone know of any shops capable of doing repairs on one of these units?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top