Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sir,

Its early and I have not had enought coffee yet but I think there is an error in your post in regards to the ID of the DOD reticle at 25 yards.

You are correct.  Don't know how I did that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where are you positioning the Switchview lever on your 1-4x?

There is a screw near the 2 marking, which would put the lever in the middle of the travel, not that it needs to be.

I expect to use my left hand to adjust the zoom.

This is where I put mine.  This is the orientation at 1x.  The halves are more left/right than top/bottom.  This orientation puts the lever at about 2 o'clock in 4x.  I liked this better than straight out at 9 and 3.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what I did with mine.  I like it better than the 9 & 3 position.  The benefit of this positioning of the cat tail is most realized when the carbine is wearing a sling.  Less to catch on clothing, vest, belt loops, girlfriend, etc.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SWFA - Any plans for a simple dot reticle? Circle/Dot is OK, but a single 1 to 2moa dot would be great.

We'll leave the dots to the people that invented and perfected them. It would be near impossible to develope a dot reticle that would be highly effective on both ends of the spectrum with this platform.

One solution that Zeiss used was making the dot SFP and the reticle FFP on their 1.5-6x42. The combo works amazingly well.

Thanks Mousegunner! Yes. I've seen the Zeiss Victory Varipoints. Great glass! For ranges out to 300 yards, I really do not require anything but a dot. I'm looking at putting a 1x4 or 1.5x6 on another rifle but right now funds prevent purchasing another S&B Short Dot. The only thing the SWFA 1x4 had going for it over similar priced scopes was the illumination and I was just asking the question as to whether or not SWFA had considered a dot style reticule. Wasn't looking for a dissertation on why some feel that the reticule in the scope they bought was superior to other types.

Here's a link to the Zeiss Victory Varipoint lineup: http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/76012357c717ac2885257547005cf52b

Rollin' on, it would appear we have a clear answer re: SWFA's intentions and rationale over a center dot.  Interesting link on the Zeiss.  The SFP dot over a FFP crosshair is a cool idea.  Didn't see an option for a graduated reticle though, maybe I missed it.  I'm going to look more at that scope too.  Thanks for the link as I hadn't spent much time with Ziess.

Still, the SS 1-4 HD is really about the legitimate cost to benefit ratio.  The combination of the SS' FFP reticle design, spartan construction, glass quality, illumination, eye relief, FOV, and price certainly put it ahead of the pack of scopes <$1500.  Add in the benefits of the SS' close quarters reticle and it's FFP advantages beyond 300 yards...I'm confident in wholeheartedly promoting this scope line over others.  It's an incredible option and one everyone should consider, among others of course.  Lots of great scopes out there.  I tried to get a lot of similar scopes in this review, but admittedly I don't have a library of high end optics.   I work for a living and not smart enough to navigate my way into the upper middle class tax brackett .  If one feels compelled to drop more coin on scopes $1,000+ beyond the SS, knock yourselves out!  Comparatively the differences in glass quality and construction are negligible for practical purposes and the reticle's advantages are largely battery dependant.  Sure you can get into some real sexy glass and bright center dots for $1500+.  This thread isn't intended to blow apart the more expensive options or spark debate by those who invested in one, that'd be foolish and irrational.   It is worth however acknowledging the SS' candidacy amongst them.  It's a growing theme in this review and for good reason.   357sig has some real strong points.

For a general purpose low power variable, the SS 1-4 HD is what I view as the new standard for those looking for versatility and quality at a reasonable price.  Lol, sorry for the dissertation!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWFA - Any plans for a simple dot reticle? Circle/Dot is OK, but a single 1 to 2moa dot would be great.

We'll leave the dots to the people that invented and perfected them. It would be near impossible to develope a dot reticle that would be highly effective on both ends of the spectrum with this platform.

One solution that Zeiss used was making the dot SFP and the reticle FFP on their 1.5-6x42. The combo works amazingly well.

Thanks Mousegunner! Yes. I've seen the Zeiss Victory Varipoints. Great glass! For ranges out to 300 yards, I really do not require anything but a dot. I'm looking at putting a 1x4 or 1.5x6 on another rifle but right now funds prevent purchasing another S&B Short Dot. The only thing the SWFA 1x4 had going for it over similar priced scopes was the illumination and I was just asking the question as to whether or not SWFA had considered a dot style reticule. Wasn't looking for a dissertation on why some feel that the reticule in the scope they bought was superior to other types.

Here's a link to the Zeiss Victory Varipoint lineup: http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/76012357c717ac2885257547005cf52b

Rollin' on, it would appear we have a clear answer re: SWFA's intentions and rationale over a future concept over a center dot. Interesting link on the Zeiss. The SFP dot over a FFP crosshair is a cool idea. Didn't see an option for a graduated reticle though, maybe I missed it. I'm going to look more at that scope too. Thanks for the link as I hadn't spent much time with Ziess.

Still, I think the SS 1-4 HD is really about the legitimate cost to benefit ratio. The combination of the SS' FFP reticle design, spartan construction, glass quality, illumination, eye relief, FOV, and price certainly put it ahead of the pack of scopes <$1500. Add in the benefits of the SS' close quarters reticle and it's FFP advantages beyond 300 yards...I'm confident in wholeheartedly promoting this scope line over others. It's an incredible option and one everyone should consider, among others of course. Lots of great scopes out there. I tried to get a lot of similar scopes in this review, but admittedly I don't have a library of high end optics. I work for a living and not smart enough to navigate my way into the upper middle class tax brackett . If one feels compelled to drop more coin on scopes $1,000+ beyond the SS, knock yourselves out! Comparitively the differences in glass quality and construction are negligible for practical purposes and the reticle's advantages are largely battery dependant. Sure you can get into some real sexy glass and bright center dots for $1500+. This thread isn't intended to blow apart the more expensive options or spark debate by those who invested in one, that'd be foolish and irrational. It is worth however acknowledging the SS' candidacy amongst them. It's a growing theme in this review and for good reason. 357sig has some real strong points.

For a general purpose low power variable, the SS 1-4 HD is what I view as the new standard for those looking for versatility and quality at a reasonable price. Lol, sorry for the dissertation!

New standard? I think not. One of many offerings in the sub $1k class for folks to pick from. Personally I think the circle reticule has many issues, several of which have been discussed here. If one is happy with their scope selection, good. However, other folks may prefer a different set of features. No need to continue to continue to attempt to justify the purchase some have made. Good luck with your SWFA 1x4’s and may they continue to function well for your applications!

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a SS review thread, you'll have to pardon the snowballing bias.  Thanks for bringing some balance to the universe.  The points you brought to the table are great talking points.  I'm digging into the Zeiss as we speak!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not handled one of these. Is it the Veripoint your talking about?

Yes, with the link already provided by another to the Zeiss website.

Because of the 1.5x minimum magnification, I'd only use it from a minimum of about 25-50 yards.  The 6x helps at longer distances, but for me it's tougher to use up close.

Never the less, the combination of the SFP dot and FFP reticle is excellent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there any other scope out there that offers such a SFP/FFP set up?  Can't think of any and I'm looking around without much luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rollin' on, it would appear we have a clear answer re: SWFA's intentions and rationale over a future concept over a center dot. Interesting link on the Zeiss. The SFP dot over a FFP crosshair is a cool idea. Didn't see an option for a graduated reticle though, maybe I missed it. I'm going to look more at that scope too. Thanks for the link as I hadn't spent much time with Ziess.

Still, I think the SS 1-4 HD is really about the legitimate cost to benefit ratio. The combination of the SS' FFP reticle design, spartan construction, glass quality, illumination, eye relief, FOV, and price certainly put it ahead of the pack of scopes <$1500. Add in the benefits of the SS' close quarters reticle and it's FFP advantages beyond 300 yards...I'm confident in wholeheartedly promoting this scope line over others. It's an incredible option and one everyone should consider, among others of course. Lots of great scopes out there. I tried to get a lot of similar scopes in this review, but admittedly I don't have a library of high end optics. I work for a living and not smart enough to navigate my way into the upper middle class tax brackett . If one feels compelled to drop more coin on scopes $1,000+ beyond the SS, knock yourselves out! Comparitively the differences in glass quality and construction are negligible for practical purposes and the reticle's advantages are largely battery dependant. Sure you can get into some real sexy glass and bright center dots for $1500+. This thread isn't intended to blow apart the more expensive options or spark debate by those who invested in one, that'd be foolish and irrational. It is worth however acknowledging the SS' candidacy amongst them. It's a growing theme in this review and for good reason. 357sig has some real strong points.

For a general purpose low power variable, the SS 1-4 HD is what I view as the new standard for those looking for versatility and quality at a reasonable price. Lol, sorry for the dissertation!

New standard? I think not. One of many offerings in the sub $1k class for folks to pick from. Personally I think the circle reticule has many issues, several of which have been discussed here. If one is happy with their scope selection, good. However, other folks may prefer a different set of features. No need to continue to continue to attempt to justify the purchase some have made. Good luck with your SWFA 1x4’s and may they continue to function well for your applications!

Singlestack nobody here is trying to make you feel bad about what you bought. If it works for you and your happy with it, great. But no one brand/model is right for everyone. I've got an openion and I won't apologise for expressing it. The bright LEDs don't work for everyone and they are battery dependant and expensive. If you have some facts you want to put out, lets see em. Otherwise lighten up and enjoy the discussion.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In a little late to the party. Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I like that avatar photo. That's not a Baker is it?

Sorry sidetrack over.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know if the JP one piece mount will work for a NTCH shooter?  Thanks, gents!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that avatar photo. That's not a Baker is it?
Sorry sidetrack over.

English Type G trade gun...Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there any other scope out there that offers such a SFP/FFP set up?  Can't think of any and I'm looking around without much luck.

One thing to consider is whether SWFA is designing a scope with the best features, then pricing it accordingly, or designing to a price point, and including the most important features at that price.  It's easy to suggest a FFP/SFP arrangement, or a larger tube, better glass, or a million other options, but if it puts the resulting design out of the market for their intended customers, they will have failed in what they were attempting to do.

The SS 1-4x scope is an excellent $800 scope.  Once you remove cost as a factor it's easy to pick it apart for things it doesn't have, but I suspect that if you have to hold the cost where it is there isn't much that can be done to improve it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there any other scope out there that offers such a SFP/FFP set up? Can't think of any and I'm looking around without much luck.

One thing to consider is whether SWFA is designing a scope with the best features, then pricing it accordingly, or designing to a price point, and including the most important features at that price. It's easy to suggest a FFP/SFP arrangement, or a larger tube, better glass, or a million other options, but if it puts the resulting design out of the market for their intended customers, they will have failed in what they were attempting to do.

The SS 1-4x scope is an excellent $800 scope. Once you remove cost as a factor it's easy to pick it apart for things it doesn't have, but I suspect that if you have to hold the cost where it is there isn't much that can be done to improve it.

You bring up some excellent points. If you want some insight into the development of this scope you can go to the SWFA website and from it go into the optic talkforum. There is a thread over there that goes way into last year and gives a few details. SWFA was pretty tight lipped about some of it and very open about some of it. I do remember reading something to the effect that the focus was to be on ruggedness, quality, precision in a simple package i.e. no bells and whistles for the sake of bells and whistles. In the design phase their accountant was not invited, quality was to come first. There was a long process in the design of the reticle and there are pictures of the early designs in the above mentioned thread. Basically my impression was that public input on the design was responsible for the current design. SWFA listened to people who actually shoot rather than a consultant or government purchasing panel. They originally were looking at a BDC reticle and just before release stated that they may bring one out in the future but they had pictures of the final designs. Personally I'm delighted with the final design. To me this scope is about speed up close and precision at longer range. In my experience the BDC is about speed at all ranges but depending on barrel length, load and existing conditions the further out you get the less precision you have. Good glass cost money, precision machining cost money good design requires good thinking. SWFA spent the money and it shows. They did some good thinking and listened to others and it shows. I don't work for SWFA, don't know them and have never even talked to them on the phone. Yet I got a PM one day after I posted my thoughts regarding their 3-9X42 SS and said I was very much looking forward to their new SS 1-4x24 HD. That PM asked me if I wanted a test drive on both designs of the prototypes. Naturally I jumped on it. I ran them through their paces and returned them. I figured they were getting close to release and I had not ordered one and definitely wanted one. I was told that They had enough coming in the first lot to cover the existing orders but if a back order situation developed that Solders and Marines with address in Iraq and Afghanistan were automatically at the head of the line. Think about that. They sent me, Joe shooter, one of their precious prototypes with out knowing me past what I wrote, ahead of professional reviewers. Just because I was excited about their new products. They put the people in harms way at the head of waiting lists automatically. That tells me a great deal about the people who back the the SWFA products and its all good. Anyway, rant off. If you want to learn more about the history go to Optics Talk. If I'm remembering some of this wrong feel free to sort me out. Sometimes my memory is not firing on all three brain cells.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Singlestack nobody here is trying to make you feel bad about what you bought. If it works for you and your happy with it, great. But no one brand/model is right for everyone. I've got an openion and I won't apologise for expressing it. The bright LEDs don't work for everyone and they are battery dependant and expensive. If you have some facts you want to put out, lets see em. Otherwise lighten up and enjoy the discussion.

Actually, what you stated is what I was saying about yours and others posts about the SWFA. No need to continually justify your purchase. If you like it great! And no, I DO NOT feel anything but appreciation when I take the S&B to the range. And yes, I am enlightened.....Oh wait, you meant lighten up.

Outta here....
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, what you stated is what I was saying about yours and others posts about the SWFA. No need to continually justify your purchase. If you like it great! And no, I DO NOT feel anything but appreciation when I take the S&B to the range. And yes, I am enlightened.....Oh wait, you meant lighten up.

Outta here....

Yes singlestack, I know what you said and I know what I said. I spimly assumed that since you are the only one being sensitive about other peoples openions that you may be having regreats. No offence was intended. Don't worry, be happy.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Ordered a SWFA 1-4x SS capped DOD model today and got an email this afternoon saying they're backordered.

Wish their site would have indicated such.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Topgunpilot,

I called my order in 3 days ago, and was told 3 weeks.

Stay safe,
-Chase
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Topgunpilot,

I called my order in 3 days ago, and was told 3 weeks.

Stay safe,

-Chase

I called today and switched my order to the exposed turret version. They said that model was in stock and would ship in the morning.

Link Posted: 5/4/2011 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
How should one decide whether capped or uncapped turrets are the way to go?  I need a little help in that dept!
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How should one decide whether capped or uncapped turrets are the way to go?  I need a little help in that dept!

If you want to zero it and leave it there and/or use the mil reticule exclusively for holdovers, then the capped version is slimmer and not at risk of the elevation/windage turrets being accidentally adjusted. FWIW, there are target turrets under the caps––you just have to remove the caps first and they're likely not as weather resistant as the exposed turrets if you leave the caps off.

If you want the ability to adjust your windage/elevation for distance/wind without having to first remove (and possibly lose) a cap, then the exposed turrets are more convenient.

Personally, I went with the model that was in stock.

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#23]
For the distances I would shoot with a variable 1-4X I see no need for exposed turrets.  Just zero at 200 and everything falls into line.   It makes more sense to have them on long range or bench guns with higher magnification scopes.

ETA - my quandary is circle or T reticle.  Oh the horror.

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For the distances I would shoot with a variable 1-4X I see no need for exposed turrets.  Just zero at 200 and everything falls into line.   It makes more sense to have them on long range or bench guns with higher magnification scopes.

ETA - my quandary is circle or T reticle.  Oh the horror.

And the capped versions can re-zero the turrets super easy....no tools.  After sighting in, just pull up on the turret, rotate it back to zero, release, done.  I went with the T post style.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the distances I would shoot with a variable 1-4X I see no need for exposed turrets. Just zero at 200 and everything falls into line. It makes more sense to have them on long range or bench guns with higher magnification scopes.

ETA - my quandary is circle or T reticle. Oh the horror.

And the capped versions can re-zero the turrets super easy....no tools. After sighting in, just pull up on the turret, rotate it back to zero, release, done. I went with the T post style.
For those of you making the capped/uncapped decision, I have many range sessions and one hunt using the uncapped version and have had zero problems with accidently turning the exposed turrets. The turrets offer resistance to turning which is just right. Positive klicks under pressure but no slop. I'm not saying it can't happen just that after lots of use it has not happened to me.

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Get the exposed turrets.  No downside unless you can't keep your hands off of them, and you can actually use that ret to its maximum potential.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Can't go wrong with this scope.  That group buy deal is pretty slick, and if I didn't already own one I'd be all over it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll leave the dots to the people that invented and perfected them.  It would be near impossible to develope a dot reticle that would be highly effective on both ends of the spectrum with this platform.

One solution that Zeiss used was making the dot SFP and the reticle FFP on their 1.5-6x42.  The combo works amazingly well.

I'll add the mythical S&B 1-8x24 scope to this list.  Apparently the reticle is FFP with a SFP dot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Got mine from the group buy, and now the illumination won't work. I put fresh batteries in and it wouldn't come on, after a while it finally came on but when I released the charging handle the illumination went off again.

I'm sending it back to SWFA on my dime to get fixed, hopefully it turns out okay in the end.  I expected higher quality from a $800 optic.

Not saying they won't make it right but my girlfriend was planning on taking me to a 1000 yard range about an hour and a half this weekend and now I only have irons
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I had the same illumimation problem not working after installing the battery.I took the spring out behind the battery and pulled on it to lengthen it just a hair and it seems to be working ok now..........I'll know in the next few days when I get to range if it's going to be a problem.I thought I recall reading something about a fix  from SWFA  for this same problem ?
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#31]
SWFA made it right, they called me back and explained that they couldn't do the return tag the first time as their computers were down (she said this when we were on phone the first time). They are doing a return tag for me and making everything right.

So +1 to their customer service for getting something handle quickly and professionally.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#32]
This spring in the battery cap has been an issue for some. SWFA said that they will be sending out new battery caps that addresses this issue.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This spring in the battery cap has been an issue for some. SWFA said that they will be sending out new battery caps that addresses this issue.

This is correct, per SWFA. For a temp fix stretching the spring or installing a dime or dime sized washer will do the trick in a pinch. Easy fix. Interesting point of note that I forgot to mention in some comparisons. I noticed the Vortex Razor had the exact same issue, only more so.

Had the scope out again this past Saturday. Usually I get the itch to try out a new scope after a few months of healthy use. This is the first low power variable I've ever elected to hang onto.

Really enjoying that black donut at 1x.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing to consider is whether SWFA is designing a scope with the best features, then pricing it accordingly, or designing to a price point, and including the most important features at that price.  It's easy to suggest a FFP/SFP arrangement, or a larger tube, better glass, or a million other options, but if it puts the resulting design out of the market for their intended customers, they will have failed in what they were attempting to do.

The SS 1-4x scope is an excellent $800 scope.  Once you remove cost as a factor it's easy to pick it apart for things it doesn't have, but I suspect that if you have to hold the cost where it is there isn't much that can be done to improve it.

I don't know what the cost implications of fixing this are, but I'm going to repeat my statement that the reticle is nowhere near daylight visible.  I took the SS 1-4x to the range yesterday under full sunlight.  Against a light earth berm the reticle was more visible *without* the illumination turned on.  With illumination on it became lighter, but certainly not bright, and had less contrast with the background.  I'm not saying you can't use it, but personally I won't turn it on unless I were shooting against a dark background, or in low light.

Since I haven't used the SS very much yet I'm assuming there's no issue with the battery getting weak at this point (less than 15 minutes of use of illumination so far).

Not suggesting anybody panic and start dumping the scope at half price, just pointing out that if you want something like the Meopta Meostar's bright dot, this isn't it.  And yes, the reticle design remains excellent, I just wish that it was brighter.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what the cost implications of fixing this are, but I'm going to repeat my statement that the reticle is nowhere near daylight visible.  I took the SS 1-4x to the range yesterday under full sunlight.  Against a light earth berm the reticle was more visible *without* the illumination turned on.  With illumination on it became lighter, but certainly not bright, and had less contrast with the background.  I'm not saying you can't use it, but personally I won't turn it on unless I were shooting against a dark background, or in low light.

Since I haven't used the SS very much yet I'm assuming there's no issue with the battery getting weak at this point (less than 15 minutes of use of illumination so far).

Not suggesting anybody panic and start dumping the scope at half price, just pointing out that if you want something like the Meopta Meostar's bright dot, this isn't it.  And yes, the reticle design remains excellent, I just wish that it was brighter.

Hmmm...that's different from mine. I used mine a week or so ago on a sunny day and was looking into the sky and on level 11 I could see my lit reticle just fine and bright as my EoTech. But, I did have to turn it up the whole way to see it clear and bright like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Same here.  I stated earlier in the review that the SS has by my observation 1 daylight illumination setting, that being the highest one (#11.)  The rest are useful only from dusk to dawn.  To that end, it's also been stated the reticle is daylight "practical" and certainly not visible under the brightest of conditions (ie full sun against a dirt berm, snow bank, etc.)  If an absolute daylight visible illumination under every conceivable venue is paramount for you - the SS is not your scope.  You'll need a S&B, Swaro, Meopta, or something else.  The SS is more of a comprehensive optic whereas the daylight illumination is a supplement, not the main advantage.  This is a benefit for anyone who doesn't want the scope's usefulness dependant on a battery.  From there the SS has a host of specs that give a real step up over low power variables in the same price range and make it worth a nod against higher priced options.  

To that end, at full power - the battery of the SS will light up against most venues.  For the one's that are simply too bright - wouldn't one want a black reticle anyway?  Contrast is king.  Still, you should see 8-10/12 hours of full power on a fresh battery.  Be sure to contact SWFA via this website, Snipershide, or Opticstalk if you have an issue with battery life - they're pretty good with communication. From what I understand they haven't sent out replacement battery caps yet.

Ultimately it depends what you're looking for in a 1-4 variable. Ranging? Illumination? Glass quality? Price? Turrets? Speed?  Ergonomics? Simplicity?  It goes on and there's a ton of options.  While the SS covers them all to the satisfaction of many a shooter, it will not stack up to the level of brightness you're looking for.  Different technology, as stated earlier in the review.  Weighing your eval against your requirements out of a variable optic I'd suggest you sell it and get something else more in line with what you want, like a Swarovski.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#37]
The "only" problem with this topic, is, I, and many other people have ordered this scope, that it is now on "back order".
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Still? Damn!
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Some sidebar discussion on illumination issues

That said, has anyone tried and used SWFA's fix for the illumination flicker under recoil?  The solution, per SWFA, is a foam washer which increass the pressure of the battery connection.  

Cheers,

H
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Posted this in the other thread, but when I bought mine it was checked to make sure it had the foam washer in it before I left the store.  I've had no flicker or drain issues.

Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Ah...I was expecting something that fit inside the depressed area. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine was flickering but it has the foam washer.  I took it apart and screwed it back on and it doesn't flicker now.  I had it fully tightened to before.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Never seen or tried a foam washer. I did put a rubber o-ring in there a month or so ago. Works great. No issues whatsoever. Try that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Any one know which of these scopes is in stock at SWFA?
  I'm leaning towards the one that does not have the exposed turrets.
Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#45]
How about calling or e-mailing SWFA directly?  They are easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...that's different from mine. I used mine a week or so ago on a sunny day and was looking into the sky and on level 11 I could see my lit reticle just fine and bright as my EoTech. But, I did have to turn it up the whole way to see it clear and bright like that.

I think I know at least what part of the problem is - battery drain when not in use.  I have about 15 minutes of use, at most, on my illumination, and found that the reticle was too dim for my taste.  Well, I just swapped out the original battery for a new one, and the reticle is now noticeably brighter than before.  I haven't got any bright sun and blue sky to test it against right now, but I want to test the scope again under worst case conditions.  This might be part of why people disagree on how usable the illumination is.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Mousegunner do you have an o-ring or washer, etc in there to tighten the connection on the battery?
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mousegunner do you have an o-ring or washer, etc in there to tighten the connection on the battery?

No.

Exactly how should the washer be installed under the cap?

Understand, it's not the issue of intermittent power under recoil, but a weak battery after very little use.  The new battery, using the same spring, gives significantly better illumination.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Understand, it's not the issue of intermittent power under recoil, but a weak battery after very little use.  The new battery, using the same spring, gives significantly better illumination.

Gotcha.  I can understand the frustration.  I put an o-ring / washer with the center cut out large enough to clear the spring but tight enough to stay put.  SWFA's fix appears to be an adhesive felt that goes on the inside of the battery cap.  On another forum I learned the new versions have the spring on the opposite side of the illumination knob.  Haven't seen many issues on Snipershide, Opticstalk, and here to tie some consistency to the problem you're describing.  Sounds like you have a legit issue though - I'd suggest you contact SWFA and see what they have to say regarding the matter.  If you're only getting 15 minutes of max illumination - that's a big deal!

Also new (on the donut) model, is the removal of the 3, 6, and 9 posts outside the donut, which sounds like a great idea.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Gotcha.  I can understand the frustration.  I put an o-ring / washer with the center cut out large enough to clear the spring but tight enough to stay put.  SWFA's fix appears to be an adhesive felt that goes on the inside of the battery cap.  On another forum I learned the new versions have the spring on the opposite side of the illumination knob.  Haven't seen many issues on Snipershide, Opticstalk, and here to tie some consistency to the problem you're describing.  Sounds like you have a legit issue though - I'd suggest you contact SWFA and see what they have to say regarding the matter.  If you're only getting 15 minutes of max illumination - that's a big deal!

Also new (on the donut) model, is the removal of the 3, 6, and 9 posts outside the donut, which sounds like a great idea.

are they really changing the reticle to delete the posts or is this speculation?

Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top