Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the reply.  And, I'm looking forward to purchasing this scope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Great writeup and pics Hokie.

I'm wondering what you think of the new Weaver Tactical 1-5x24 scope compared to the SS 1-4x HD.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/tactical/

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/168/168838.jpg

I know the Weavers reticle isn't nearly as good as the one on the SS but I'd like to know how they compare overall.

It´s HEAVY!!

And MORE expensive!

Hermann

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
No doubt, I've been reading some very "defensive" posts by S&B Short Dot owners on the various boards in regards to the SS 1-4X.  Seems like SWFA did such a great job with their 1-4 that it's leaving some mighty defensive about spending $1800 more on a scope without much to show for it.  ;-)

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Can anyone comment on the clarity of the glass of the SWFA SS 1-4 vs. the Leupold mark 4 1.5-5x20 mrt?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No doubt, I've been reading some very "defensive" posts by S&B Short Dot owners on the various boards in regards to the SS 1-4X.  Seems like SWFA did such a great job with their 1-4 that it's leaving some mighty defensive about spending $1800 more on a scope without much to show for it.  ;-)

Glad I didn't have to come right out and say it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on the clarity of the glass of the SWFA SS 1-4 vs. the Leupold mark 4 1.5-5x20 mrt?
Thanks

I've owned a couple MR/T's and really liked their ranging prowess between 50-500 yards over my AR15.  I'm biased to the SS reticle now, but will still contest the MR/T is a great option as are many others.  As far as glass quality is concerned, I'd consider the SS better.  Can't put it to a scale though as I don't have the MR/T anymore to compare side by side.  Still, looking through the SS 1-4 HD it's very clear (pun intended) that the level of glass quality is impressive over most options that are twice the price.  I have yet to peer through a low power variable that hasn't made the SS look crystal clear and exceptionally bright, comparatively.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No doubt, I've been reading some very "defensive" posts by S&B Short Dot owners on the various boards in regards to the SS 1-4X. Seems like SWFA did such a great job with their 1-4 that it's leaving some mighty defensive about spending $1800 more on a scope without much to show for it. ;-)

An aquaintance forcast that this would happen months ago and I agreed. PM me the boards please. I'll argue with them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No doubt, I've been reading some very "defensive" posts by S&B Short Dot owners on the various boards in regards to the SS 1-4X. Seems like SWFA did such a great job with their 1-4 that it's leaving some mighty defensive about spending $1800 more on a scope without much to show for it. ;-)

An aquaintance forcast that this would happen months ago and I agreed. PM me the boards please. I'll argue with them.

G17C: Thanks for the PM, I took a look and you were right. There are also some people who have thought it through and understand the advantages of the SS HD. Some people don't seem to be embarrassed when their best argument boils down to "it cost more so it is better". I made my arguments so we will see how it goes. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it possible for me to get the link as well?  I WILL be buying the SS scope regardless, but I'd like to see what the S&B owners are saying.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a sweet scope! Excellent work SWFA!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Apparently the new short dots and the Swro Z6 have much brighter dots and are using LED technology similar to the Aimpoint. This has its strengths and weaknesses. In the event of battery failure it is definitely a weakness as the reticles are fine and hard to find. Like an Aimpoint with a dead battery, useless. The SS HD reticle is superior in this application. In low light when the reticle is just bright enough to be functional and not overpower your view both designs work. However, if you turn on your weapon light or some one turns on a bright light, the SWFA SS HD design is instantly big bold and black. The other finer designs are washed out until your eyes adjust. Many people, myself included, get a "halo" effect with the Aimpoints bright LED dot because of vision issues. This is a very common problem. This is not an issue with a 1X at close range but is a major problem in a precision application. I don't have this problem, at all, with the SWFA design. Design and features matter as much as glass and manufacturing quality and I still say that the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD is the best combination of design, features and quality on the market regardless of price. I've been scoffed at for making that statement but until I see some thing better, I'll keep saying it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Installed the throw lever (cat tail) last night.  Great addition!  Eager to get back out at the range.  Thanks SWFA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Apparently the new short dots and the Swro Z6 have much brighter dots and are using LED technology similar to the Aimpoint. This has its strengths and weaknesses. In the event of battery failure it is definitely a weakness as the reticles are fine and hard to find. Like an Aimpoint with a dead battery, useless. The SS HD reticle is superior in this application. In low light when the reticle is just bright enough to be functional and not overpower your view both designs work. However, if you turn on your weapon light or some one turns on a bright light, the SWFA SS HD design is instantly big bold and black. The other finer designs are washed out until your eyes adjust. Many people, myself included, get a "halo" effect with the Aimpoints bright LED dot because of vision issues. This is a very common problem. This is not an issue with a 1X at close range but is a major problem in a precision application. I don't have this problem, at all, with the SWFA design. Design and features matter as much as glass and manufacturing quality and I still say that the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD is the best combination of design, features and quality on the market regardless of price. I've been scoffed at for making that statement but until I see some thing better, I'll keep saying it.

I just put an S&B 1.1-4x24 Short Dot LE against the SS, and my observations are different than yours.  Yes, I agree that the SS reticle, with the outer circle and inner mil lines, is better than the S&B without illumination.  However, the illumination of the S&B is much brighter and more usable in daylight.  By comparison the SS, even at 11, looks dim.  And with illumination off the S&B reticle is still quite usable.  Mine has three lines at 9, 6, and 3 o'clock, composed of a thick bar from the edge to close to the middle, and a fine bar from there to the center.  No, it's not the circle/lines of the SS, but I had no trouble picking it up against the clutter.

The glass of the S&B is much clearer than the SS, and it has a larger field of view.

Perhaps we're just talking about personal preferences here - I prefer the S&B glass while you prefer the SS reticle.

And when you factor in the cost, the SS looks like a very good deal, just, to me, not *better* than the S&B.

Like they say, YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just put an S&B 1.1-4x24 Short Dot LE against the SS, and my observations are different than yours. Yes, I agree that the SS reticle, with the outer circle and inner mil lines, is better than the S&B without illumination. However, the illumination of the S&B is much brighter and more usable in daylight. By comparison the SS, even at 11, looks dim. And with illumination off the S&B reticle is still quite usable. Mine has three lines at 9, 6, and 3 o'clock, composed of a thick bar from the edge to close to the middle, and a fine bar from there to the center. No, it's not the circle/lines of the SS, but I had no trouble picking it up against the clutter.

The glass of the S&B is much clearer than the SS, and it has a larger field of view.

Perhaps we're just talking about personal preferences here - I prefer the S&B glass while you prefer the SS reticle.

And when you factor in the cost, the SS looks like a very good deal, just, to me, not *better* than the S&B.

Like they say, YMMV.

Personal preference definitely enters into the equation. For me it is better because of the flaring I get visually from the bright LED and the S&B is more dependant on illumination than the SS HD design. Yes YMMV. For me I stand by the statement. Design matters and I'd take the SS HD over the S&B if they were priced the same. Have you compared the two in dim light? The larger field of view is an asset. I would expect S&B glass to be outstanding but how good does it have to be? I've used three different SS HD 1-4X out to 700 and 800 yards and made good predictable hit on a 14" plate and steel IPSC targets. Germany is to glass what England is to shotguns, the Mecca. And English shotguns and German glass are indeed outstanding. However, others make very good glass and shotguns. In no way, shape or form am I putting down the S&B or the Swro. They are outstanding scopes. But in this application they are not for me. I hope you get to enjoy your new scope for many years. It snowed here today and messed up my plans to get out.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Ran my SS1x4 in a carbine match over the weekend. Got my butt kicked on the short range stage. It was very lefty friendly, me being righty I ran to cover, switched rifle to support side, and spent forever attempting to get my left eye behind the optic as I pie'd around cover engaging targets. Mostly a training issue for sure, but the SS being not real forgiving with eye position like a red dot is an issue.

Kicked major ass on the 100/50 yard steel target stage though (SS @ 4x).
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great group buy going right now http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=868369

Damn you both!!!!  Purchased.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great group buy going right now http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=868369

Damn you both!!!! Purchased.

You won't be sorry

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
get my left eye behind the optic as I pie'd around cover engaging targets. Mostly a training issue for sure, but the SS being not real forgiving with eye position like a red dot is an issue.

Try canting the rifle back towards your right eye.......rifle stays on your left shoulder but lay it to the right and you can use your right dominant eye.  Yes, definitely slower than red dot, but works for me, although I need to train more with it that way as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can anyone give some insight to the T reticle?  It doesn't appear that it would be very great at close distances.  Does anyone have any pictures of the T reticle illuminated?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can anyone give some insight to the T reticle? It doesn't appear that it would be very great at close distances. Does anyone have any pictures of the T reticle illuminated?

When I tested the prototypes back in December I ran both reticle designs. Check it if you like http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242104&page=1

T at 4X

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

T at 1X

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Where are you guys zeroing these?  50/200?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Where are you guys zeroing these? 50/200?

Thats what I'm using with my 75g loads with drop charts worked out to 700 yards. Works very well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Damn, if I would have waited a couple of months I could have gotten all that free stuff  
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting that the designers chose to do circle + crosshairs and no center dot for quick acquisition.  That seems like a mistake to me as I think the ultimate design resembles something close to the Z6i reticule with both dot and fine crosshairs for both hosing and precision work.  Interested to hear if anyone has put this optic up against an AP/EOTech or even a TR24 with a shot timer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting that the designers chose to do circle + crosshairs and no center dot for quick acquisition.  That seems like a mistake to me as I think the ultimate design resembles something close to the Z6i reticule with both dot and fine crosshairs for both hosing and precision work.  Interested to hear if anyone has put this optic up against an AP/EOTech or even a TR24 with a shot timer.

I believe 357sig(forgive me if I am wrong) does in this very thread, or at least links to it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, if I would have waited a couple of months I could have gotten all that free stuff  

I was a little miffed about that too, until I figured out the GB does not apply to 1x4 SSs with the donut reticle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a little miffed about that too, until I figured out the GB does not apply to 1x4 SSs with the donut reticle.

Yep, I'm guessing the ratio of donut to post/mil scale reticles sold is very lopsided in favor of the donut.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting that the designers chose to do circle + crosshairs and no center dot for quick acquisition. That seems like a mistake to me as I think the ultimate design resembles something close to the Z6i reticule with both dot and fine crosshairs for both hosing and precision work. Interested to hear if anyone has put this optic up against an AP/EOTech or even a TR24 with a shot timer.

I believe 357sig(forgive me if I am wrong) does in this very thread, or at least links to it.

Nobodyg17 You are correct. I ran both SS HD reticles against an Aimpoint in timed and scored drills. I believe the link is above.

Superset72 You need to try this reticle to appreciate it. At 1X it actually acts as a dual purpose reticle. Up close it kept up with the Aimpoint by looking through the circle and firing when your target appears. Further out you can take a microsecond longer and use the ghost cross hairs for a more precise hold. The Aimpoint bright LED dots are a problem for many people with an astigmatism, myself included. An Aimpoint's red dot looks blurry to me and has a halo around it. At close range this is not an issue but where precision is required it is a problem. I'm not slamming the S&B or Z6i. But, if you have vision problems try before you buy. The reticles of the SSHD do not have this problem.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe I'll take a look when one of the local 3-gunners gets the scope. I haven't seen it around the local circle yet so will keep an eye on it. What's the size of the donut on 1X?  The EOTech circle is 65MOA so I'd like to see how it compares.
BTW, if someone has some shot timer data, please post it. I did a similar test about a year ago btw the AP, TR24 German No. 4 and TR24G and found the AP to be about 7% faster than the German No. 4 and 3% faster than the TR24G.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks

I let my 1.5-5 MRT and my 1x3 CQT go in favor of SS 1x4 and although I don't regret at all (benefits of SS outweigh benefits of both Leups) I think the Leupold glass has slightly more consistant focus across glass at different points of the reticle. In both SS 1x4's I've had both are a hair out of focus in center and at edges with perfect focus half way out to edge.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

I let my 1.5-5 MRT and my 1x3 CQT go in favor of SS 1x4 and although I don't regret at all (benefits of SS outweigh benefits of both Leups) I think the Leupold glass has slightly more consistant focus across glass at different points of the reticle. In both SS 1x4's I've had both are a hair out of focus in center and at edges with perfect focus half way out to edge.

Anyone else having these issues? My 1.5-5x Leupy appears pretty clear to me, but I do not have anything to compare it to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Check the ocular adjustment.  Mine is crystal clear and sharp edge to edge.  I'll also echo 357's comments on astigmatism and Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Check the ocular adjustment.  Mine is crystal clear and sharp edge to edge.

Been through all that with two SS units. No joy. It just is what it is and is not my eyes as evidenced by the Leupy's being focused edge to edge. For context let me state again that I believe the SS is a better choice scope even with what I'll call a slight focus flaw and further I might not have even noticed without the other scopes in hand for instant comparison

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Since stating that I have tried both reticles designs of the SS 1-4X24 HD and listing the link to the group buy I've received six PMs asking about reticle choices. The circle has received the most coverage here and elsewhere and I'm guessing it is the most popular. However, as I remember I actually beat the time of the circle with the "T" in running them both against an Aimpoint. It was marginal but it was there. I've also read comments that the "T" would be better than the Circle at distance but the reverse is also true. People seem to think the circle would block the field of view at distance and that the "T" would be slower up close. I don't believe this is true. The circle becomes big enough to be aout of the way at 4X and the "T" is very bold and bright at 1X. Both designs are big and bold when they should be and fine and precise when they should be because of the FFP feature. I'm not sure you could call one Better than the other, just different. The whole concept of a FFP 1-4 scope with bold reticles and a mil dot with .1 mil is different enough that it takes a bit of getting used to. When I was testing both I went through about 600 rounds in four range sessions and found both  designs to be very servicable.  I've stated several times that the Vortex PST 1-4 would be a distant second choice for me. That would be a distant second choice behind either reticle design of the SS 1-4 HD. If this group buy had been in place when I got mine I'd be all over that deal on a "T" reticle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
357, I think you're correct.
The circle is big, and it is 3 mil thick.  I've seen complaints that it covers a lot of the target.  Well, the inside of the circle is 27 mils across.  So at 100 yards it is still 97 inches across on the inside.  What target is that concealing?  At 25 yards the circle inside diameter is right under 24 inches.
I like the circle as a large aiming point that easily draws the eye (illuminated or not) for quick shooting, but still has fine stadia for a more definit aimint point at range.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Since stating that I have tried both reticles designs of the SS 1-4X24 HD and listing the link to the group buy I've received six PMs asking about reticle choices. The circle has received the most coverage here and elsewhere and I'm guessing it is the most popular. However, as I remember I actually beat the time of the circle with the "T" in running them both against an Aimpoint..

That's great to hear. I've been eyeing the T reticle... but with some apprehension, as almost everyone talks about the circle. I have two cheaper scopes with T reticles; a Millet DMS-1 (also has a circle) and a Bushnell red dot that looks almost like an ACOG clone (not sure of the model). While neither of those two are high quality scopes, I've found I'm faster with the reticle design of the Bushnell than I am with the dot on my Aimpoint Pro and T-1, and the horseshoe on my TA33. Weird?

Even looking at internet pictures, the T design draws my eye in significantly faster than the circle. I don't know why. Then SWFA thows out their group buy offer... think I'm going to jump on it.

~edit~
Found the model, it's the Bushnell Trophy MP. T style reticle with a small dot in the center (3 moa?).
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#38]
For that group buy deal, I'd be all over the T reticle as well.  The reticle is simply preference.  

I scooped the circle and capped version based simply on my typical shooting venues, which are for the most part below 200 yards.  Either will get the job done at any range and deliver the shooter an incredible low power variable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#39]
does swfa have any future plans for upgrading the turrets to have a zero stop, or a pinch/pull to adjust feature?  

I'm having a hard time deciding whether the capped or uncapped turret model would be best for me, and having pinch/pull turrets would let me have my cake and eat it too...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#41]
SWFA - Any plans for a simple dot reticle? Circle/Dot is OK, but a single 1 to 2moa dot would be great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWFA - Any plans for a simple dot reticle? Circle/Dot is OK, but a single 1 to 2moa dot would be great.

We'll leave the dots to the people that invented and perfected them. It would be near impossible to develope a dot reticle that would be highly effective on both ends of the spectrum with this platform.

The single bright dot would be a HUGE step backwards in my opinion for three reasons. 1. I believe the LED technology required to introduce it would make it more expensive. 2. If a battery dies or electronics fail you have nothing. (Look through an Aimpoint that is off). 3. That bright LED blurs for a fairly high percentage of the population because of astigmatism. I know of several shooters who did not know they had this problem until they tried an Aimpoint. This is not a big deal up close at 1X but would be very problematic in dim light attempting a precision shot. There are scopes out there that have this feature. The are very expensive and IMO the functionality of the design is not equal to the SS 1-4 HD.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Ahh, thanks for the comments about the ocular adjustment.  I discovered that mine was off and was causing blurring at 4x.  Doh!

Does anyone adjust the turrets for very-close range work?  like 10-20y?  Or just hold-over...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll leave the dots to the people that invented and perfected them.  It would be near impossible to develope a dot reticle that would be highly effective on both ends of the spectrum with this platform.

One solution that Zeiss used was making the dot SFP and the reticle FFP on their 1.5-6x42.  The combo works amazingly well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Where are you positioning the Switchview lever on your 1-4x?

There is a screw near the 2 marking, which would put the lever in the middle of the travel, not that it needs to be.

I expect to use my left hand to adjust the zoom.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the fast reply swfa! That's what I figured for zero stops, and I agree, they aren't necessary on this type of scope.  I was more interested in some manner of locking turrets as a much more practical consideration.  I have tough decision to make, but I think im leaning towards the capped model.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We'll leave the dots to the people that invented and perfected them. It would be near impossible to develope a dot reticle that would be highly effective on both ends of the spectrum with this platform.

One solution that Zeiss used was making the dot SFP and the reticle FFP on their 1.5-6x42. The combo works amazingly well.

I have not handled one of these. Is it the Veripoint your talking about?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One solution that Zeiss used was making the dot SFP and the reticle FFP on their 1.5-6x42. The combo works amazingly well.

Thanks Mousegunner! Yes. I've seen the Zeiss Victory Varipoints. Great glass! For ranges out to 300 yards, I really do not require anything but a dot. I'm looking at putting a 1x4 or 1.5x6 on another rifle but right now funds prevent purchasing another S&B Short Dot. The only thing the SWFA 1x4 had going for it over similar priced scopes was the illumination and I was just asking the question as to whether or not SWFA had considered a dot style reticule. Wasn't looking for a dissertation on why some feel that the reticule in the scope they bought was superior to other types.

Here's a link to the Zeiss Victory Varipoint lineup: http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/76012357c717ac2885257547005cf52b

Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top