Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2010 10:56:47 AM EDT
Who runs these on their home defense rifle?   Worth it or not?   I have a flashlight mounted, but want to know from people who run them if they are worth it or not.  Batteries do not last forever.

Let me know if you have experience firing with these in low light conditions as well.     Trying to figure out if I should spring for the Troy with tritium in them or just get the normal folders.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
When you are about to kill someone especially at HD distances, at night, inside your home, you are not really using a proper sight picture, especially with iron sights.

As always, your mileage may vary...also, with the current breed of Aimponts battery life lasts pretty much forever, but thats irrelavent because this is a BUIS.

Me personally, I would stick to a standard BUIS. I see no need going with "Novelty" sights. I know, call me a hypocrite because I have tritium sights on 2 of my handguns but it just seems pointless when I already have a RDS.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've no personal experience but I've heard that the rear sight will wash out in the darkness and you will have difficulty focusing on the front sight
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Front Sight Post should be Tritium... or a white striped one... or even have a dab of paint on it...

Rear needs nothing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Front Sight Post should be Tritium... or a white striped one... or even have a dab of paint on it...

Rear needs nothing.

Hmmm.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Your flashlight will overpower anything that is tritium or white. All you will see is a black outline of the front post. Even without a flashlight the rear tritium is worthless. You need to ID your target, and using a light to do this makes tritium unusable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Removed
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Front sight is more important.  IMO you should have a light on a home defense gun in any case to positively ID the threat as such.  If you have a light, an illuminated front sight is mainly there in case the light doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Front sight is more important.  IMO you should have a light on a home defense gun in any case to positively ID the threat as such.  If you have a light, an illuminated front sight is mainly there in case the light doesn't work.

That is what I am worried about.    

But I guess I have like 20 flashlights through the house anyways.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive got tritium front and rear, and the rear is faint, there is no "washout" at all. Makes it damn fast to index the sights.

In the house, I would likely fold down the rear sight and just use the front tritium to maintain orientation, however I like having the option to also index quickly on the rear sight as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the front and rear Trijicon set. I took the rear off. It's more distracting than anything. Only real use I see for the tritium sights on an AR is a night ops operation where you don't want to be seen.
A light for HD is a must. I don't want to shoot a family member that might be stumbling in for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 about having a light. I didnt even mention it because I figured that was assumed!

The light stays off until contact is made. White light gives away my position,in relative darkness in my home I have the advantage-I know the ground and an intruder most likely doesn't. I would maintain weapon orientation via the tritium until I can flash white light. Then I can ID, blind, and engage as needed. After doing  test runs through the house, I found having the rear tritium valuable. If I decide against it in the future, I will simply cover the tritium with sharpie to tone them down.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I am going to grab a tritium front sight post and run the normal rear sight.    The odds of my flashlight failing are slim, but good to have a backup.

Anyone have experience firing with the tritium at night?
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Removed

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think I am going to grab a tritium front sight post and run the normal rear sight.    The odds of my flashlight failing are slim, but good to have a backup.

I've only used them on pistols, personally with the long life aimpoint available now I don't know if they are worth the bother on a carbine. [shrug] I removed some silly stuff posted here, but there is a huge, huge difference between tritium sights and regular white marked sights, they are not at all comparable.

It is worth keeping in mind that tritium night sights give your position away to anyone to your sides or rear and are visible for quite a distance, not a big deal, but worth knowing.  

How far are we talking here?  I will take my pistol outside tonight and see, but just curious if anyone knows already.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've only used them on pistols, personally with the long life aimpoint available now I don't know if they are worth the bother on a carbine. [shrug] I removed some silly stuff posted here, but there is a huge, huge difference between tritium sights and regular white marked sights, they are not at all comparable.

It is worth keeping in mind that tritium night sights give your position away to anyone to your sides or rear and are visible for quite a distance, not a big deal, but worth knowing.  

How far are we talking here?  I will take my pistol outside tonight and see, but just curious if anyone knows already.

In pitch black my Glock night sights are like Orions Belt.  I'm actually going to replace them with a Sevigny carry package using a black rear and a single dot front.  Not because of the illumination, just because I like the Sevigny sights overall.

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to say I love my tritium inserts, front and rear. I've personally been in a scene where I knew who was there, and didn't want to flash them with my light and alert them to my presence, and the sight picture from the glowing dots was key to not missing a shot on the threats (which would not only give them my position and more time to react, but potentially endanger bystanders as well). For me it's all about covering all possible scenarios as well as you can. I wouldn't want to make do without a weapon light again, but if I need to aim in the dark I want to be able to do that too, I've also never had any issues with my sights 'washing out' or messing with my night vision.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Just took my Glock with Trijicon NS outside and propped it in a tree.   Up close when I know right where it is about arm distance away they are very visible.  I step back 5 feet and they almost disappear when I know where they are.  I turned around, closed my eyes and had a hard time picking them up.  

I went back about 10 feet and could not pick them out, but my night vision sucks.   I let myself get used to the dark for about 5 mins.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just took my Glock with Trijicon NS outside and propped it in a tree.   Up close when I know right where it is about arm distance away they are very visible.  I step back 5 feet and they almost disappear when I know where they are.  I turned around, closed my eyes and had a hard time picking them up.  

I went back about 10 feet and could not pick them out, but my night vision sucks.   I let myself get used to the dark for about 5 mins.

I've spotted someone with trijicon pistol sights at night in a dark, but moonlit field quite a ways, maybe 30+ yards (just an esstimate) we had been out there for awhile and my eyes had adjusted to the dark  
I will have to try some other time when there is more light outside.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2010 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I have tritium sights on my HD carbine.  I initially went with the trijicon front and rear.  The trijicon front is a real POS ( I really can't understand that because their other products are so damned tough.  When I took the rifle to sight in the new sights after installation, the front sight came apart after the first few rounds.  The sight post is a two piece part that is supposed to allow the tritium sight post to spin in the base for fine adjustment...FAIL).  Anyway, I switched to an XS front post with wide stripe.  The rears ( I use a YHM fixed A2 buis with an XS aperture) are not too big or bright - just enough to allow you line up the front post in between the two dots.  The combination works well for me and I don't have to worry about having a battery fail when I need it most.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#23]
You prolly got a lemon. I've never heard of anyone having any issues with Trijicon gear at all. How bright are the XS sights in comparison to the Trijicon inserts, and how does the front "stripe" work for your sight picture. It seemed like it would be a lot less precise, vertically, to me. That was one of the reasons I chose the Trijicons.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one on my "go-to" carbine. I had the set originally, but didn't like using the rear tritium sight. I could picture it if the ghost ring was mounted further forward, but didn't at all like it right up close to my eye. The post is bigger and obscures smaller targets at longer ranges; but is fine for practical CQB distances. I like using it.  In my limited low light shooting experience I found it helpful over a stock FSP in coordination with a light. My eye is used to looking for a glowing green dot from my pistols having trtitium sights too. It's on my basic irons gun right now. I'm saving for an Aimpoint for it. I'm going to use a 4moa version; I think the bigger dot will match up nicely to the fatter FSP when cowitnessed. I have a 2moa for another upper and it seems the Tritium FSP almost obscures the dot !!!  

-JC
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]
i have a Trijicon front on my AR and i find it a little too wiggly for my taste. as a poster above mentioned it is a two piece design that lets you doal in elevation as normal but because it is not a square but a rectangle theres a 50 percent chance that the post will end up in profile, and because the tritium is only on 1 side theres only a 25 percent chance that the tritium will be facing the rear site when elevation is zeroed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Trijicon FS placed on a 5.56 mm and an XS Dot (smaller of two) placed on a 50 Beowulf. I find them comforting at night when I turn down the Eotech that is on the Wulf, they are great at co-witnessing through the EoTech, although I have no experience through other optics. Both sights came with an installation/ sight adjustment tool and were easy to install. I have no quality issues with either of them. The Trijicon is finer and more precise, while the XS is slightly larger and a tad brighter.

I do not know if the same is true for all night vision, however with my duty NV, the tritium sights on a weapon will light like Christmas when viewed at somewhat impressive distances at night. Not that it is a concern for HD, but if your weapon is as mine and functions others roles as well (duty, etc.) bearing this in mind could be a good thing to do. depending on your philosophy of use.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top