Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2010 12:29:08 PM EDT
Review of the Valdada – IOR 1.5x8x26 Riflescope.

Recently was able to T&E the above rifle scope.  Was able to evaluate the scope over the course of one day doing both distance work and CQB.  I came away very impressed...  Follows the book specs, and then my impressions....

Magnification: 1.5 to 8 x
Objective Size: 26mm
FOV (100 yds) 89-22 Ft
Exit Pupil 3.25 -17.5 mm
Eye Relief: 3.5 inch
Dioptrical Adjustment: -3 to +3 DPT
Reticle – Total Adjustment Range: 75 MOA at 100 yds
Click Value:  1.4 MOA at 100 yds
Tube Diameter: 35 mm
Length:  9.5 inch
Weight: 22 oz

Disclaimer:  Not a “Glass Guy.”  Some of the above means very little to me.  But I'm a reasonable example of an end user.  

SIZE AND WEIGHT:

The IOR 1.5x8x26 Riflescope has some chunk to it.  It feels very, very solid in the hand.  The IOR documentation says it weighs in at 22 oz., which may well be true....  When chucked onto my Sister in Laws neurotic food weighing scale, the scope with high rings weighed in at 28.3 oz.  

For comparison an Aimpoint and Aimpoint 3 x magnifier with quick detach mounts weighs in at 22.8 oz.  

The IOR 1.5x8x26 is 9.5 inches in length.  With a 35mm tube body.  To me it is not overly large for 8 x magnification.  

Size versus some 1 x competitors:

Size versus 4 x ACOG:

Size versus an IOR 1 and 4 power Pitbull and an Aimpoint and Magnifier setup:

Much like a Romanian peasant woman this scope is heavy, strong, and thick.  But considering the range of magnification, and the inherent ruggedness of the scope I consider the size and weight more than acceptable.  (Kinda like the peasant woman when you got fields to plow.)  It's less bulky than an Aimpoint and Magnifier, and weighs less than an 5.5 ACOG while arguably offering more versatility.

RINGS AND MOUNTING:

IOR includes your choice of High, Medium, or Low rings, in alloy or steel with the scope.  Am unsure if the rings included on my T&E sample were alloy or steel.  Certainly rugged enough.  Was able to use our M110 tools to mount the IOR 1.5x8x26 on one of our M4's easily.

Moved the PEQ from the top rail and was able to move the scope forward.  Still had to seat my head back just a little further than I like, in order to work with the scopes generous eye relief (However, I am a nose to charging handle guy.)  Because of this I would probably end up buying an aftermarket extended scope mount.  Both American Defense Manufacturing and Larue (finally) offer 35mm scope mounts now.

RETICLE:
I love the ACOG reticle and consequently I love the reticle on this optic.  The IOR 1.5x8x26 reticle looks likes this:

Line Thickness: 0.5 MOA at 100 yds
Center Dot Diameter:  3 MOA at Max Power
Inside Horseshoe Diameter:  10 MOA at Max Power
Outside Horseshoe Diameter: 16 MOA @ Max Power
“The reticule is designed to work with a 62gr 5.56mm miltary load. …..  The Hashmarks are tapered for a 21” wide target (shoulders,) from 300 to 800 yds, marking at the same time, the 300 to 800 yd Holdover Points.”

Some of the shooters/evaluators with me felt the “Horseshoe” was too thick...  But I felt it was worth it for the doughnut of death affect in CQB....

The illumination is for night time use.  It works well for that.  It is not apparent during the day... at all.... even on max setting.  The lowest setting is supposed to be night vision compatible.  I did not test it.  The illumination knob goes from low power to max power to OFF and then around again....  Clever.

The reticle does not grow with magnification.  Consequently I believe the holdovers will only be correct at 8 x.  

The Holdovers seem dead nuts on.  See below.....

DISTANCE WORK:

Was able to shoot a M-4 (Colt, 14.5 inch barrel, RAS rail) with the IOR 1.5x8x26 against steel plates set out to a 1,000 meters.  Ammo was M855 ball.

Was able to zero the scope fairly quickly vs. a small square plate at a 100 meters.  I then began to stretch the weapons legs.  I was able to consistently hit a man sized plate at 650 meters.  Another shooter was able to obtain hits (maybe 1 out of 2 or 3) against a plate at 750 meters.  He was able to shoot 3 hits in a row at 750 meters when the wind died down completely.  Bear in mind the shooting conditions were close to ideal... good illum and little wind.  I think 800 meters is the upper, upper limit of a M-4 with M855, and this glass will let you take the weapon to it's max potential.  

The holdovers worked well.  To ping the 650 meter target I centered the plate between the 6 and 7 line and pulled through....

CQB:
The IOR 1.5x8x26 worked well for CQB.  Was not able to do comparison split times, etc., but my impressions were thus....  Not as fast as an Aimpoint.  A black dot and horseshoe at 1.5 is still not as good as a 1 x red dot.  But not bad.  And a metric shit ton better at CQB than a 4 x ACOG.  If BAC works for you... Awesome.  But I find it to be inherently slower and makes me want to vomit after a while...  YMMV.

The generous eye relief helped with not traditional shooting positions....  

CONCLUSIONS:

I like this scope.  A lot.  

I probably would have bought one last tour sight unseen if Larue or anyone else had been offering extended 35mm scope mounts at the time.  It had everything I wanted in a scope.  Low mag for close work.  8 x for distance.  And the familiar, and effective ACOG style reticle.  

Having been able to use the scope …. I think I'm going to have to buy one.....  The glass is clear and bright.  The eye relief is good.  (I am so tired of that stupid J-Point on top of my ACOG wacking my NODS plate when I'm shooting in the prone.)  The holdovers are dead on.  You can push the M-4 to it's limits for distance work, and still be effective at close quarters.....

Still nothing's perfect.  If IOR wants some improves, they would be:

Possible offer the scope at a cheaper price minus the rings for all the guys who are going to buy ADM or Larue mounts anyway.

Possible make the reticle first focal plane.   I can definitely live with it as is though, and changing it would not be worth it if it greatly drives up price, or makes the scope less rugged.  

Add a “Cat's Tail” or whatever they are calling it to the magnification ring.

Make it lighter if possible.  (Without losing strength/ruggedness.)

Still, pretty minor bitches.  With an IOR 1.5x8x26 mounted on a quality AR, you have potent combination.

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent write up.  Thank you for sharing.  

I wonder if IoR will be "cool guy" enough...?
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Sgt!!!!!  Sweet review and timely for me. This optic is on my short list for 16" Recce in putting together.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  I think this would be a great choice for a Recce build.  This scope made me start re-researching precision AR barrels...  

Took some more pics today.  Tried to get images through the scope.  Bear in mind it is difficult to take a photo that captures what you really see through the lens.  The glass on the IOR scope is made by Schott of Germany.  It is clear and bright.  

Scope at 1.5 Power on a cloudy day...

Scope at 8 power...

Scope at 1.5 power at dusk....  Notice the tree at the bottom of the picture...

Scope at 8 power...  TREE.

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!!!  Good pics!  I'm liking this more and more!

The barrel on mine will be the 16" Centurion Arms Recce mid-length.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow!!!  Good pics!  I'm liking this more and more!

The barrel on mine will be the 16" Centurion Arms Recce mid-length.

I don't think Centurion was a player the last time I built a precision rifle.  I'll look into them....

If you pick up the IOR, be sure to post your impressions once you get it broken in some....  
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice work.... I'll have to pass this goodness along!
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Took some pics last night.  Even harder to capture an accurate image in low light, but these give you the gist of what one sees through the scope at night....  The reticle and numbers are crisp and easy to read in reality.

Night Time 1.5 Power

8 Power

As you can see the optic is not only ideal for zapping bad guys, but also perving around your neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
excellent  write up, thankyou !
I have an older version on my 308

I've found it an excellent optic for the same reasons you mention.

I believe that there is an even newer version available with exposed turrets. Whilst the reticule is still calibrated for 5.56, the elevation knob is cammed and marked for 308, so you can use holdover if shooting the former, dial in for the latter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Great review. Scopt seems priced similar to the ACOGs.  I got a very good deal on an ACOG or else was looking to a NF 2.5-10 compact also similarly priced ... how would you compare the two, assuming you have shot with the NF?
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
That's some nice illumination... of the barracks???
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great review. Scopt seems priced similar to the ACOGs.  I got a very good deal on an ACOG or else was looking to a NF 2.5-10 compact also similarly priced ... how would you compare the two, assuming you have shot with the NF?

Thank You.

IOR 1.5x8x26 Vs. NF 2.5x10.  Have no experience with that particular NF scope.  I "think" the glass on the IOR scopes is generally better than the glass on the NF's based on examples of each I have tried, looked at.  I also think the 1.5 mag of the IOR vs the 2.5 on the NF gives you a great deal more flexibility.  Room clearing with 1.5, not too bad.  Room clearing with 2.5, suck donkey nuts.  But I've done no direct comparisons between the two scopes, so I'll stop talking out of my ass.

IOR 1.5x8x26 Vs. ACOG.  Ran a 4 x ACOG with JPoint on top last deployment.  The ACOG was great for distance work.  The reticle comes in handy constantly.  "How far away is that kulat?"  "Fucked if I know, let me range that dude."  (The IOR has more or less the same reticle.)  The ACOG sucked for close in stuff, hence the JPoint.  Unfortunately JPoints are frail, run out of juice rapidly, and require pretty precise head alignment.  I really think variable power scopes are the future of combat optics.  If I deployed again tomorrow I would choice this IOR over an ACOG  (although I'd still throw it in my duffle in case ;))

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Good review––thanks for posting it.  Also, what is your general impression of the Pitbull? I have an TA31F ACOG and the Aimpoint RDS/3G combo but I'm always on the lookout for better kit and I was thinking the PB might be a way to go (my dealer is sold out of the 1.5-8 that you reviewed).

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good review––thanks for posting it.  Also, what is your general impression of the Pitbull? I have an TA31F ACOG and the Aimpoint RDS/3G combo but I'm always on the lookout for better kit and I was thinking the PB might be a way to go (my dealer is sold out of the 1.5-8 that you reviewed).

Stay safe.

Was also able to T&E a Pitbull at the same time.  A review will be posted (May take a couple weeks ... will be away on business.)  General impressions though....  HEAVY.  Like a MO FO.  Magnification ring was really stiff, hard to manipulate, and set up for the right hand.  A cat's tail and having the ring set up for the left hand would improve the scope 100%.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Informational:  American Defense Manufacturing (ADM) is now making a dedicated mount for the Pitbull called the 'Recon PB'.  It's not on their website but I was told by staff that it is indeed a reality (be advised––I'm a severe LaRue-aphile and it was hard for me to even consider ADM but after using two of their products I can advise they're use without hesitation).

Looking at your pix it appears that you have an older generation PB. The newer types have a digital illumination module and a taller "cat tail like" lever to help facilitate magnification travel.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Good to know.  I'd really like to check out a newer one with the mods you described.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice review man but now I hate you! I keep trying to talk myself out of this scope and your review sure as hell didn't help with that!

Thank you for your service
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice review man but now I hate you! I keep trying to talk myself out of this scope and your review sure as hell didn't help with that!

Thank you for your service

Ah, Thanks...

Man, that looks hot.  You know you want one.............  
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Really nice, informative review.

In response to:

Add a “Cat's Tail” or whatever they are calling it to the magnification ring.

IOR does appear to make a version of the 1.5-8x26 with a cat's tail on the mag ring:

http://valdada.com/product/a2655086-d6e1-4df9-ba34-42428d8b0c8b.aspx

This also has exposed knobs.  I can't find it listed for sale on anyone's website, however.  Every website appears to offer the version with capped turrets and no cat's tail only.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
excellent  write up, thankyou !
I have an older version on my 308

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/_MG_0844/web.jpg

I've found it an excellent optic for the same reasons you mention.

I believe that there is an even newer version available with exposed turrets. Whilst the reticule is still calibrated for 5.56, the elevation knob is cammed and marked for 308, so you can use holdover if shooting the former, dial in for the latter.

Asiparks....

Can I cut and paste your reply to another forum where I posted the same review?  A lot of folks expressed interest in running this scope with a 7.62 weapon.....

Thank You.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#20]
How would this work on a 7.62 based weapon...Say like a LMT MWS...I just purchased one and this seems like a good mag range for the gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Both American Defense Manufacturing and Larue (finally) offer 35mm scope mounts now.

Great writeup, thanks.  I am glad to get this news that other 35mm scope mounts are available, this was my one problem with the IOR 2-12 (35mm tube) I have on my SPRish 3-gun rifle.  I like that scope alot, but something like this 1.5-8 would be a better balance.  The rings are fine but it's be nice to have some quick releases.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How would this work on a 7.62 based weapon...Say like a LMT MWS...I just purchased one and this seems like a good mag range for the gun.

the newer versions, (with the exposed knobs as in the pic above), is available with the elevation knob cammed for 308, so you'd have to dial rather than use the reticle holdovers. Or you could use the reticle as a starting point and try your load at different ranges, then note POI against the reticle graduations.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top