Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2010 12:53:17 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am new to owning guns, just bought this as my first self owned gun, I have shot other peoples and such but never had one until this.  I am now wanting to put a red dot/scope combo on my S&W 15-22, I have been looking into the primary arms m4 style red dot with the scope combo, basically wanting a red dot for plinking then have a quick detach/retach scope so I can shoot at distance when I want to.  What exactly do I need to accomplish this?  What are the AK and GSG5 mount options?  What are people talking about when they say co-witness?

I have the S&W MOE edition if that helps with my options at all.

sorry for all the questions about stuff everyone here knows, but I am just getting into the shooting game.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
For the AK get a kvar mount or an Ultimak,
AK Mount

stay away from kalinka mounts both mine were crooked
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The AK and GSG mount option are for the AK and GSG.  You don't want those for your AR.  If you are wanting to use a red dot for close in and a scope for longer range, then you need to invest in some high quality quick detach mounts so that they will retain zero.  It still is not ideal.  You would be better off getting the PA M3 with cantileaver mount and add a magnifier behind it on a flip-to-side mount.  Then you can use the red dot at 1X, and flip the magnifier when you want to shoot at distance.  Another option would be a variable power DMR-style scope.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The AK and GSG mount option are for the AK and GSG.  You don't want those for your AR.  If you are wanting to use a red dot for close in and a scope for longer range, then you need to invest in some high quality quick detach mounts so that they will retain zero.  It still is not ideal.  You would be better off getting the PA M3 with cantileaver mount and add a magnifier behind it on a flip-to-side mount.  Then you can use the red dot at 1X, and flip the magnifier when you want to shoot at distance.  Another option would be a variable power DMR-style scope.

The flip to side mount sounds pretty cool, could you link me to a variable power DMR?  Are those red dot sights or just scopes?

I'm trying to keep the scope + red dot under $300 if I can, worst come to worst I could always make due without the scope and just use the red dot, .22lr drops almost 6" at 100 yards anyway, just based off of the box, and I doubt that drop is consistent being every bullet won't have the same velocity

What is the difference between m4 and m3?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The M4 has an integrated base.  You can use it but you will have to remove your back up rear sight to fit the magnifier.  The M3 can be purchaced with a cantileaver mount that mounts the sight farther forward on the rail allowing enough room for the magnifier and rear sight.

Low power variable scopes (something like a 1-4X) are not red dots.  Some have illuminated reticles, but they will not be as fast as a red dot.  The Millet DMR would be a good one in your price range if you choose to go the scope route.

It just depends what you are looking for.  If you want to shoot small groups at 100 yds, then the scope probably makes more sense.  If you want more of a tactical carbine set-up and shoot with both eyes open, the red dot will be better.  The magnifier is a solution to add some range to a red dot when needed.  

Edit- Link to PA M3 and magnifier combo:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=142&t=606737
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The M4 has an integrated base.  You can use it but you will have to remove your back up rear sight to fit the magnifier.  The M3 can be purchaced with a cantileaver mount that mounts the sight farther forward on the rail allowing enough room for the magnifier and rear sight.

Low power variable scopes (something like a 1-4X) are not red dots.  Some have illuminated reticles, but they will not be as fast as a red dot.  The Millet DMR would be a good one in your price range if you choose to go the scope route.

It just depends what you are looking for.  If you want to shoot small groups at 100 yds, then the scope probably makes more sense.  If you want more of a tactical carbine set-up and shoot with both eyes open, the red dot will be better.  The magnifier is a solution to add some range to a red dot when needed.  

Edit- Link to PA M3 and magnifier combo:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=142&t=606737

Thanks for the information and link, I appreciate it.  If I was to go for just a red dot, then the m4 would be a better choice, where as an m3 would be a better choice for a scope option?  Just confirming, I am almost beginning to lean towards the red dot without the scope, I would love shooting close groups at 100 yards but at the same time I think I could be decently accurate at distance with the red dot as well, and don't want to continually adjust the scope being I will take it off so much to use just the red dot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The M4 takes a AA battery, has an integrated mount, and multiple reticle choices.  The M3 takes a different type of battery, the mount is extra, and is just a dot (there is a version with the same reticle choices as the M4).  The downside of the M4 is that if you decide later that you want to add a 3x or 5x magnifier, you will have to remove your rear sight to have enough room to do so.  The M3 with cantileaver mount gets the sight forward enough so that there is room for the magnifier to sit between the red dot and rear sight.  If you are sure that you will not want to add a magnifier at some point, the M4 is probably a better choice.  The M3 will leave the option open for a magnifier if you ever decide to add one.  Just to make your decision a little harder, there is also a PA microdot.  It is small and light and would also leave plenty of room for a magnifier.

It really sounds to me like you will want a magnifier at some point.  If you are just shooting a single target at the range, magnified optics are more fun.  In my opinion, your best bet would be to get the PA M3 multi reticle (if you want something other than a dot) on a cantileaver mount.  Add a magnifier on a flip-to-side mount (I don't think that PA has a flip mount option yet) later as your budget allows.  If you don't want the double optics thing cluttering up the top of your rifle, just get the Millet DMR or similar scope and have fun.

Why not call Marsh at Primary Arms and get his opinion?  It will certainly be better than mine .
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You may also want to consider the vortex strikefire, also on the primary arms website. It is a standard red dot sight but comes with a 2X lens that screws into the back of the red dot to turn it into a low power scope. 2X would likely be all you would need for 22lr anyway and it comes with a cowitness mount and everything, ready to go, for about half of your budget, and it has been getting good reviews here and elsewhere. BTW, cowitness is when you can see your iron sights through the optic lens, that way if your battery dies you can still aim without removing the optic from the rifle. It is a good feature to have on a red dot but is pointless on a magnified optic as the front sight will not be visible anymore.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
great info here guys! I appreciate it, I will call primary arms next Thursday when I have my paycheck and discuss my options and place an order, sounds like I have a few things to consider, and would like to have co witness just in case my sights were to fail for some reason
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is mine.  It shoots very well.  I do not think the red dot is any where as good as the Primary arms, but it works for what I use it for.  The scope works well even in the dark indoor range at 100 yards.

I got the optics from SWFA.  I may be swapping out the target dot for a .22 sweet.

Micro red dot

Rings

Target dot

BSA and Barska are not liked around here.  I do not think I would use them a survival type gun, but for the range queen, they work pretty well.

ETA fix pic

Buzz.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top