Author
Posted: 7/7/2010 6:48:41 AM EST
As an offset RDS used with an ACOG, which do you like more? Why?
fnslpmark112
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2010 1:01:48 PM EST
Anyone?
TRIDENT1982
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2010 1:11:04 PM EST
no time with a rmr....but the t-1 makes a great secondary optic, and quite a few mounts exist for it to run that way....because of that i would say the t-1.

For a t-1 you have the LT-724, Matt Burkett Off set mount, DD 1 oclock.
To the OG gangsters of "BADNESS".."Mr. Clip", "Micro Man", and to the "Godfather" himself, THANKS for fueling my dreams!

"Unicorn Man", The "Sir", "Stamp Man"....Fuel accepted!
TNVC_Clasky
Tactical Night Vision Company
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2010 1:54:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By TRIDENT1982:
no time with a rmr....but the t-1 makes a great secondary optic, and quite a few mounts exist for it to run that way....because of that i would say the t-1.

For a t-1 you have the LT-724, Matt Burkett Off set mount, DD 1 oclock.

And the TNVC MURLM
Tactical Night Vision Company - TNVC

2008 Aimpoint New Military Dealer of the Year

www.tnvc.com
(909) 796-7000
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
jevonniespapi
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:26:14 PM EST
I myself am leaning toward the T-1 with offset mount like Trident has on his rifle.

The T1 is a bit cheaper than the RMR, and looks like it can take a bit more abuse too. Battery life goes hands down to the T1 too.

VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/9/2010 3:32:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By jevonniespapi:
I myself am leaning toward the T-1 with offset mount like Trident has on his rifle.

The T1 is a bit cheaper than the RMR, and looks like it can take a bit more abuse too. Battery life goes hands down to the T1 too.

RMR tritium ––no batteries eva!
TRIDENT1982
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/9/2010 11:25:13 PM EST
Paging EDWIN907.....that is the glass whore I take my advice from

He has both setups.....I believe the T-1 and RMR are both mounted on TNVC's SAR's.

I really do find the open, more holographic type sights... like a RMR extremely fast to use and I do hope to pick up a RMR someday, just not for a secondary optic role. With that said....no way do I trust a RMR canted off the side of either a piece of glass or the gun itself...as much as I do the robust lil T-1 that is fully enclosed with no flat sides like the RMRs or similar Dr. type sights. The overall curved body of the T-1 when mounted in a similar type canted position has no where near the strain and potential for a major breakage as a RMR will.

I have no doubts the RMR's are awesomely built, I just think an open, more holographic type secondary sight is really quite vulnerable when being canted and hanging off a rifle.

I do understand Dr. type optics such as RMRs and MRDS's have winged protective mounts....that said...I do not know about you gents, but "winged protective mount" sounds a lil bit feminine to say the least for my tastes
To the OG gangsters of "BADNESS".."Mr. Clip", "Micro Man", and to the "Godfather" himself, THANKS for fueling my dreams!

bullitt5172
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 2:05:46 AM EST
The RMR has went through the same test plan the ACOG is subjected to and has passed. It's tougher than any other MRD on the market. No winged mounts required with the RMR, the forged aluminum housing is nearly indestructible. The T1 is a great optic as well, just don't make your decision based solely on assuming the RMR is fragile...
"The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WWII." -Major General J.N. Mattis
Hokie
"Fucking Savages!"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 3:15:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/10/2010 3:16:52 AM EST by Hokie]
Bullitt, does the LED version have the blue tint? What's it's battery life?

I could speculate but figured I'd ask. I Thinking of putting on the front half of a cantilevered A2 carry handle mount on one of my carbines.
72 hr btt violation, do not repost this ad, contact a Mod in 72 hrs for unlock
VictorUnit
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 3:31:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By bullitt5172:
The RMR has went through the same test plan the ACOG is subjected to and has passed. It's tougher than any other MRD on the market. No winged mounts required with the RMR, the forged aluminum housing is nearly indestructible. The T1 is a great optic as well, just don't make your decision based solely on assuming the RMR is fragile...

its 7075 aluminum

and its only a shade darker than aimpoint m4s...

TRIDENT1982
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 3:52:46 AM EST

I am not so much referring to the actual construction of the RMR as I mentioned before that I would assume RMR's are awesomely built.....however for me personally at least the RMR's are shape like a sideways L...vs a T-1's Wheel shape/circle shape......the t-1 will roll with the fall and spread out the impact to other areas of the rifle.....if you come straight down with any bit of velocity or force and land the gun on one of the many CORNERS located on the RMR's.....than my bet is that it will incur serious damage if not break all together. Just my 2cents....and nothing at all against the RMR's considering I believe them to be an awesome mrd.

Primos
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 5:59:00 AM EST

I am not so much referring to the actual construction of the RMR as I mentioned before that I would assume RMR's are awesomely built.....however for me personally at least the RMR's are shape like a sideways L...vs a T-1's Wheel shape/circle shape......the t-1 will roll with the fall and spread out the impact to other areas of the rifle.....if you come straight down with any bit of velocity or force and land the gun on one of the many CORNERS located on the RMR's.....than my bet is that it will incur serious damage if not break all together. Just my 2cents....and nothing at all against the RMR's considering I believe them to be an awesome mrd.

ACOGs have corners too. But they don't seem to break when dropped, and they are made from the same forged 7075 aluminum as the RMR. If you haven't handled or used an RMR yet, try one. They're not going to break by being dropped with/on a rifle. . If I'm not mistaken, I think they're built using a stronger alloy than the Aimpoints.

A little off topic, but if the Trijicon guy is still following this thread, when are we getting the fiber optic & tritium powered RED 4moa RMR?
bullitt5172
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 8:16:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By Primos:

ACOGs have corners too. But they don't seem to break when dropped, and they are made from the same forged 7075 aluminum as the RMR. If you haven't handled or used an RMR yet, try one. They're not going to break by being dropped with/on a rifle. . If I'm not mistaken, I think they're built using a stronger alloy than the Aimpoints.

A little off topic, but if the Trijicon guy is still following this thread, when are we getting the fiber optic & tritium powered RED 4moa RMR?

That is something I would like to see as well but the fiber would be REALLY small and we haven't gotten there yet...we did just launch the 7MOA not too long ago. You are right about the RMR, a drop will not damage it. You should see what we do to them...
"The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WWII." -Major General J.N. Mattis
bullitt5172
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 8:18:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hokie:
Bullitt, does the LED version have the blue tint? What's it's battery life?

I could speculate but figured I'd ask. I Thinking of putting on the front half of a cantilevered A2 carry handle mount on one of my carbines.

Hey bud, the LED version does not have the blue tint lense. Battery life is stated at around two years, but I have been running a prototype since late '07 and it's as bright as it was on day one.
Hokie
"Fucking Savages!"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 8:29:18 AM EST
Excellent! Thank you! I'm gonna spruce up my KISS carbine.
72 hr btt violation, do not repost this ad, contact a Mod in 72 hrs for unlock
Primos
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/10/2010 4:22:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/10/2010 4:24:15 PM EST by Primos]
Originally Posted By Primos:

That is something I would like to see as well but the fiber would be REALLY small and we haven't gotten there yet...we did just launch the 7MOA not too long ago. You are right about the RMR, a drop will not damage it. You should see what we do to them...

Ahh....so does Trijicon have plans to do any red dot RMR's in fiber optic / tritium? The yellow just doesn't work for me, and I want to stay battery-free.