Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2010 10:19:50 AM EDT
I'm looking to level a scope reticle and I'd like to get a tool, both to aid in ease of use and for uniformity. Any suggestions?

Also, I saw a tool of sorts awhile back - it consisted of two tiny pieces of aluminum cut diagonally and attached so that they slid on each other while keeping level surfaces on the top and bottom. This "tool" went between the mounting base of the scope and the bottom of the scope turret. It adjusted so that the scope would rest flatly on the top of it, while the bottom rested on the scope mount. This kept the scope level during mounting, provided that the reticle was true to the bottom of the turret. I cannot find the maker/manufacturer/name of this tool. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Thanks and regards...
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Feeler gauges.

Link Posted: 3/23/2010 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]

And how does one use one of these, exactly?
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And how does one use one of these, exactly?

Well, normally you would use one single blade to determine clearance between two parts.

For what we are talking about though, just flip the whole pack out of the handle, and then start putting blades away untill you have a stack that fits perfectly between the scope and mount.  Since the blades vary in thickness down to the thousandth, you should be able to get the right size pack together fairly easily.  Put the stack of feelers between the scope and mount, push the scope down into the mount and the blades will form a perfectly flat stack between them.  Tighten rings, good to go.  Depending on how large a set you get, the entire pack can vary in thickness from 1/4" to about 1/2", should be thick enough to work for most scopes and one piece mounts.  If not, throw a machinists rule under em to make up the difference.  Available at auto parts stores, hardware stores, etc, so no need to pay shipping, and they are cheap.

Link Posted: 3/23/2010 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on feeler gauges. Cheap, easy and it works.

To add what the what was said, typically there is a flat bottom to the turret housing of the scope. Gauge between there and the rail, looking for just enough thickness to feel a slight pressure so you know there is contact. Bam, everything is squared up.

Wish it was that easy for a hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Good tip on the feeler gauges.  Will buy a set soon, and avoid future headaches.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I had known the feeler gauge method before I wasted my money on the Wheeler level level level. The Wheeler's consists of 2 bubble levels, one's on a magnetic mount. I did not thought about that carefully before ordering one!

Link Posted: 3/24/2010 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I use an adjustable parallel.  If you're using a scope without any flats on the bottom or a base with no flats it won't work though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what I use.  Attaches to the rail and I use another small level on the top turret.  
http://swfa.com/B-Square-Weaver-Bubble-Bore-Level-P8160.aspx
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
feeler gauge- used to use these to gap spark plugs and set points.
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Digital Level

1. Level Rifle w/scope base
2. Level Scope

I use a small digital level from Sears.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
This is what I use for all my scope leveling needs:

They are available through McMaster-Carr for a few bucks a piece.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#14]
FEELER GAUGES DO NOT ALWAYS WORK

For a nice high end optic that has rigorous QC testing like nightforce, it will work every time.

My Burris 1-4 and Triijicon TR24 were BOTH OFF.  Normally this would be an appropriate time to send them in for repair/replacement, but since neither of them have target turrets and are meant for "set it and forget it", I figured who really cares.  

Using the feeler gauge method, they were both noticably off.

All of my AR's have free float tubes that I level to the receiver.  During install, I tinker with them until the rail shows the same reading as the receiver.

When I mount my scope, I hang a plumb bob line.  Crank the scope down as low as it will go.  Level the rifle in a rest by placing the level on the free float tube infront of the optic, and then line up the reticle to the plumb bob line.  This can take some time seeing as how everytime you touch the scope, you need to relevel the rifle, but after a few tries you will get it perfect.  

Its also key to know that your eyes view optics differently.  After leveling my TR24 (triangle/post), if I view it through my right eye, it will appear to be canted ever so slightly in one direction.  If I view it through the other, it will appear slightly canted in the opposite direction.  This is a case of "gotta trust the equipment" and just give your OCD a rest

Even with my nightforce optics, I still confirm them using the level and plumb bob line.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is what I use.  Attaches to the rail and I use another small level on the top turret.  

Hopefully you didnt trust that level and confirmed it with another one before you used it as a reference.

I have  one of those levels, and it needs to be shimmed to get spot on.  Only way to install it properly is to have an accurate level on the reciever and shim it until they read the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully you didnt trust that level and confirmed it with another one before you used it as a reference.

I have  one of those levels, and it needs to be shimmed to get spot on.  Only way to install it properly is to have an accurate level on the reciever and shim it until they read the same.

I always place a level on the receiver also.  Double check everything.   I have used this many times and every time I attached it to a rail the level on the rail matched up.  I was quite surprised that it is so repeatable.

Dolomite_Supafly: Where did you pick up those small levels.  I am always looking for something like that and never saw any before.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dolomite_Supafly: Where did you pick up those small levels.  I am always looking for something like that and never saw any before.

Link to vials

Item # 3338A14
Acrylic Unmounted Square Level Vial 13/32" Square X 1-9/64" Length

They have a few different sizes and are cheap at $2.20 each. They help out with a lot more than just leveling scopes also.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody try one of Schryver's scope leveling bars?

http://www.schryvergunsales.com/Nightforce%20Optics.htm
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to vials

Item # 3338A14

They have a few different sizes and are cheap at $2.20 each. They help out with a lot more than just leveling scopes also.

Dolomite

Thanks again Dolomite.  I just ordered a dozen of these levels.  I have been looking for a product like this for years.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FEELER GAUGES DO NOT ALWAYS WORK

level and plumb bob line.

Bingo! Folks, I think we have a winner
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to vials

Item # 3338A14

Dolomite

Thanks again Dolomite.  I just ordered a dozen of these levels.  I have been looking for a product like this for years.  

Glad I can help.

I actually have used them for other things around the house as well. Because of their small size they can be used for a lot more than just leveling scopes.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#22]
EYES

BTW, turret covers/caps and the scope body aren't always square with the crosshairs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2010 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Second on the level and plumb bob....a bob is ALWAYS square.  So long as you can assure your receiver is level/square, align the verticle and you are good to go.  I have heard of a few scopes showing out of square horizontal reticle portions, but not the vertical.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to vials

Item # 3338A14

Dolomite

I ordered over the weekend and they received my order on 3-29.  Ups delivered them on 3/30.  Good service.  Nice addition to the parts bin.

Link Posted: 3/30/2010 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#25]
McMaster Carr is amazing in how fast they ship. Every order I have ever placed, which has been a lot, has made it to my house by the third business day. I have even ordered on a Moday morning and received my order on Tuesday.

They are so fast I often wonder if they have a psychic on their payroll that reads my mind or maybe have my wife working for them as a spy.

Something else that amazes me is the fact McMaster Carr has as many items as they do, they have had everything I have ever thought about buying as well as stuff I never even knew about like those little levels.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I will shop there often
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Every order that I place with McMaster-Carr arrives the nexy day! Those level vials are handy also.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I lay a heavy straight edge horizontally behind and against the rear of the scope, and sitting on top of the flat surface at the back of the AR receiver.

Backing my eye off a ways, I simply eye the horizontal cross hair for paralellism with the top edge of the horizontal straight edge.  

I don't know of a way to get it any more accurate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Order a handful of those McMasterCarr levels, they are handy for any job and supa cheap!
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#30]
RI was in the middle of 500 year flood and it got to me in one day.  Now that I have time to think about it that amazing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Plumb-bob hasn't failed me yet, stone age simple and guaranteed to give you a perfect verticle line for reference.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top