Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2010 1:23:35 PM EDT
I am still building my AR and will be for a while, due to the current economic challenges.  Since I cannot actually buy anything, I get to research, research and do more research.    I am a newbie to AR’s and scope mounted rifles, so I am looking for some opinions on scope mounts.  

Building a bench shooter for 100 to 200 yards (20” Lilja barrel, ATC trigger, Magpul PRS, AA piston, Vortex scope, etc.).  

I was thinking of a LaRue LT-104 but I am on the fence with a Bobro with a 1 inch extension.  I know both are very good companies and the cost difference is within $20 of each other.  

I did a search and found a few discussions about both.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=470039
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34105&page=2

LaRue
Pro – Proven reputation.  Vertical split rings for easy leveling.  Repeatable mounting
Con – Larger footprint on upper

Bobro
Pro – Small footprint on upper.   Auto compensate for rail tolerances. Repeatable mounting.
Con – Horizontal split rings.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I just installed a larue lt -104 on my addax upper with a zeiss diavari 6x24x56 plent of cant,and room for a mbus.The product itself is flawless and you can't go wrong with larue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any experience with Bobro mounts so I can offer any advice on them.  

I can say that you absolutely cannot go wrong with a LaRue mount and in addition to receiving a perfect mount, you are going to support a company who does amazing things to support the shooting community and military community.  

If LaRue makes something I need I don't even look anywhere else for it.  I can be confident in my purchase and feel good about who got my money at the same time.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Larue

Good question, Larue is right answer
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Larue

Good question, Larue is right answer

Larue.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Larue
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Both mounts are GTG, I have several LaRue though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You might want to look at American Defense also. I have one of their Recon mounts and it's rock solid,  VERY well made and holds zero great. I will definetly buy more from them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
LaRue:
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote Bobro.  Instantaneous, tooless, one handed mounting and dismounting on any upper, and rock solid.  Pay no mind to the ARMS mounts.  I purchased them before I achieved enlightenment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going to say Bobro.  Here is why.  Larue is really great stuff, but the Bobro just has something about it.  It is a really neat piece of engineering that is beautiful and works with  details like the hidden 12 point nuts and studs instead of screws look like parts of a race car engine.  You make no adjustments, ever.  It doesn't lose zero no matter how many times you remove and reinstall it.  It just works.  The quality has ruined me for life.  I want one of their gen 3 bipods next.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a number of items from larue from quad rails to scope mounts and have never been disappointed.  Also, they have a cult like follwoing so worst case scenario if yuo are strapped for cash you could sell a LT mount.  But the real reason to but is that LT mounts are rock solid.  my .02.

oh and you'll get a "dillo"
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Bobro, pure machining art that works.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Larue...

I'm sure the Bobro is VERY nice, but it doesn't do anything that I need that the Larue doesn't...

And also, Mark Larue is a true patriot...
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I say go with BOBRO. I've got one on my Noveske and I'll be buying another soon.

Quality-wise, both the BOBRO and the LaRue are identical. Function wise, they're also identical, with one small exception: the BOBRO mounts require no adjusting whatsoever. Position, clamp, and go. With the LaRue mounts, you have to initially adjust the mount to the rail before it can be mounted. If you want to move it to a different rifle, you have to adjust it again. With the BOBRO mounts, they adjust to any rail, mil-spec or not. There's also no burnishing/rubbing of beveled edges against your rail, as with the LaRue. Lastly, I prefer the finish on the BOBRO mounts - they have a teflon-like matte finish instead of the powder-coated look of the LaRues.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
You can't go wrong with either.  Pick whichever mount looks better to you and be happy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#17]
arfcom is a flavor du jour type of place.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
arfcom is a flavor du jour type of place.

While I agree that Arfcom is a really "flavor du jour" type of place, I'm not sure why you would interject this in this thread.  The reigning champ has not been unseated by the new kid on the block, at least not yet, the results so far are still in favor of L/T.  There are a few folks who have taken a chance with the new kid on the block and are pleased, but we are still the minority by a large margin.

So far as I read the responses I get 9 in favor of L/T, 5 in favor of Bobro, 2 for both, and 1 for ADM.  I think that's a pretty fair mix.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have several each LT and ARMS, no Bobros so far; they all work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got a Bobro mount recently, and all of my future mounts will be Bobro. There is nothing wrong with Larue, they work great, but the Bobro design seems like the next evolution. No adjustments whatsoever, no messing around pushing the mount forward against the rail as you push the lever in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#21]
They both make fine products.

But,

If your in CA, Larue has been supporting the cause.

I'm Mark LaRue and I'm donating again

Californians,

I know I said I was going to follow our 2009 $12,000 check by sending in our 2010 donations in one month at a time ...

But it's looking more and more like the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country is right flippin' now.

I know you gents said you had very low phone bills / electric bills to contend with and that's fine, so take the right so-and-so's to lunch or something.

Mark LaRue
www.LaRue.com

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bobro
Pro – Small footprint on upper.   Auto compensate for rail tolerances. Repeatable mounting.

You do realize that even with the top half of the ring removed, the scope is already level.

Try leveling a scope with half a vertical ring or even loose, yep she'll move .
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bobro

You do realize that even with the top half of the ring removed, the scope is already level.

Try leveling a scope with half a vertical ring or even loose, yep she'll move .

Movement is not a problem when mounting a scope in a LaRue mount.  

Mount scope - tighten screws on the bottom of the rings - level scope - tighten screws on the top of the rings.  

The scope will not move with the bottom screws tightened unless you want it to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had both and they both are top notch, you can't go wrong.  Last one I picked up was a Bobro, and I slightly prefer it because I like to set it up on different rifles from time to time and I don't have to adjust anything to do it.  The smaller base also gives you more room to find the eye relief sweet spot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Bobro, there's nothing wrong with LT by any means, after comparing both and using both it seems like the Borbro mount has every advantage of the LaRue and then some. If you notice most people will say LT on this board, but I've very rarely heard someone say I tried a Bobro and went back to LT.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#26]
La (I own page 2)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Rue

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#28]
i have a larue and love it, but will be going with the bobro as soon as they release their acog mounts, mainly for the styling and lever

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Larue for stuff goin on one gun.

Bobro for things goin on two.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#30]
LaRue FTW!!

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried Bobro and then sold my LT on the EE.

Quoted:
Another vote for Bobro, there's nothing wrong with LT by any means, after comparing both and using both it seems like the Borbro mount has every advantage of the LaRue and then some. If you notice most people will say LT on this board, but I've very rarely heard someone say I tried a Bobro and went back to LT.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#32]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=461931

My review of both of their Aimpoint mounts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Everyone, thanks for the input.  I think I will take a chance and go with the Bobro.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I have Larue mounts (LT104, LT670, LT150, FUG) but decided to buy a Bobro recently.  Both  are great, I especially like how  easy it is to mount the Bobro but i didn't like how the lever assembly stuck out from the side of the Bobro.  I decided I needed a higher mount so I sold the Bobro (see my add in EE), and got another Larue to replace it.  I wish the Larue didn't burnish my rail, but the way Larue back's up our troops and CA, make it well worth it to me.  Plus I have a nice collection of hats and dillos now.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I tried Bobro and then sold my LT on the EE.

LOL I tried Bobro and then sold my Bobro and bought another Larue.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I was skeptical about Larue back in the days when ARMS was king.  It took me a year to jump on the band wagon and I am very happy I did and plenty of Dillos to show for it.  That said, variety is the spice of life and want to try a Bobro scope mount for a future build.  I really like their short VFG.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top