AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2009 5:55:49 AM EDT
Burris XTR 1-4X24

Bought it here.

PDF on the Ballistic 5.56 Reticule

I've been looking for something to top off my BCM 16" Gov't Profile 1:7 Midlength for quite sometime now.  I wanted a true 1-4 variable, BDC w/o turrets, rugged construction, and illumination on demand.  I've owned the Nightforce 1-4 NXS w/ FC-2 & NP-1 reticules, the Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T, Trijicon Accupoint TR21R, several ACOG's, and tried a number of others.  ACOG's are excellent optics but since they ain't variable I won't compare them.

Photos & reticule shots will be forthcoming.  

I've yet to personally handle an optic that hasn't had a list of pros & cons.  To date I've never found an optic I've loved through and through.  Like most things out there - it's always a compromise.  The Burris XTR is no different.  Still, pound for pound, apples to apples, it's a fine choice for anyone looking to buy a low power variable optic for an AR15.  

Interesting points:

The focus knob and occular bell are one in the same.  You crank the whole thing to adjust the magnification.  Personally, I like this.  Others may not.  If you use flip caps - you won't.  If you want a stupid easy platform to adjust magnification - you will.  

The illumination is more orange than red.  For creating contrast in low light, I find it's amber-ish glow a better fit for low light shooting.  So I'm a fan of that ...

The illumination is NOT daylight visible.  It IS visible dusk till dawn.  I intend to purchase a Butler Creek flip cap to occlude the lit reticule...and to keep shit outta the objective when moving about and during storage.

Tech spec sheet on the Ballistic Reticule is included with the packaging.  Interesting read.  Burris put a lot of thought into the reticule's design.  0.5 MOA clicks.  Eye relief is 3.5-4".  FOV is 100 low & 32 high.  11.3" long.  17 oz.  Exit pupil is 24 low & 6 high.

Clarity wise - the glass is very crisp.  I find the light gathering very good.  If I aim directly at a white fluorescent light, I can make out a very slight tint.  But for shooting in ambient conditions, you won't notice any difference.  

Eye relief is more than ample.  I find that with the Larue 1.5 mount (not extended) you have to move the XTR as far forward as possible and place the mount as far forward as possible.  If you do this, you'll be able to shoot NTCH.  The extended Larue mount would give you more movement on the upper receiver, or can give you some play with regards to balancing the scope on your AR....but for me, the 1.5 mount works perfectly and I'm more than satisfied.  No suprise Larue's mount is second to none.

Reticule size is thin enough for BDC...but thick enough for quick target acquisition.  Comparatively, I find the reticule thicker and easier to pick up on the fly than Leupold's SPR reticule in the MR/T.  In contrast, I find the NXS faster than the XTR and MR/T.  With regards to BDC, I don't like the NXS' dot on dot aiming, and the MR/T's BDC involves it's turrets used in conjunction with it's reticule.  The XTR has all that BDC goodness on it's reticule.  I like that.  Makes me think that Burris' reticule was inspired by the ACOG's simplistic design.

True 1X.  Some 'true' 1X scopes still look more like 1.1X within 10 feet.  Not the XTR.  True 1X from your muzzle to your target.  Pretty cool.  For anyone sitting stationary <50 yards, a wide FOV and true 1X magnification is awesome.  XTR's FOV is 32 on 4X.  In comparison - the NXS is 25 and the MR/T is 23.7.

No frills reticule with easy to use bullet drop compensation for 62 grains at 3025fps (other variables come into play, obviously).  Haven't been to the range yet.  More later on that.

The illumination battery cap has a slight flexibility to it.  Meaning, I can move it a 1/16th if I pinch the edges as you would a quarter.  Compared to the NXS and MR/T...this is the one and only aspect of the XTR that raises an eyebrow for me.  Still, Burris guarantees it and I've yet to read a single review highlighting an issue with it.  I don't pretend to use my AR as a baseball bat either, so I'll likely never test the cap's structural integrity.  That said, it looks to be plenty rugged for hard use.  So I'm not sure if I'd call it a "con."  I'm only listing it because I've owned and used a NF NXS...those scopes make ACOG's look brittle.

Durability - a good segway into mentioning Burris' forever warranty.  That's worth a lot IMHO.  I can't imagine a venue where I'd bust this scope apart - it's a pretty solid unit.  Very well built.  They boast that it's walls are 25% thicker than comparable optics - not sure what that means, but the tube is definately rigid as hell.  

The horseshoe around the center 1MOA dot is 6" ID at 100 yards and 8" OD.  That means the horseshoe is 2MOA thick...approximately.  I think Burris should have made it 4MOA thick keeping with the 6" ID.  Minor gripe, but it could help with speed when snap shooting <50 yards.  Still, when you shoulder the gun and align your face - you're looking at your target with both eyes open.  The ghosted occular and cross reticule brings your FOV into focus real fast and finding your target becomes a natural movement.  Then again, this applies to most optics.  The horseshoe does allow the shooter a very quick way to size up man-sized targets.  The reticule really dumbs it down.  The horseshoe is your ranging tool.  The horseshoe fits a human melon at 100 yards.  The vertical stadia bottom to the horseshoe measures up to be the size of a man at 100 yards (72 MOA from the base to the center dot at 4X).  Not sure how much 1,000 yard shooting I'll be doing...but that hash mark is there too for all you BDC extremists.

The price is right.   $775 with the mount.  I love the NXS and MR/T as well, but in comparison...but the XTR has a built in BDC, comparable features otherwise, and at a fraction of the cost.  

I'd call the NXS a 0-200 yard scope, the MR/T a 50-500 yard scope, and the XTR a 10-500 yard scope.   Each scope could of course be stretched beyond my listed yardages....but that's how I'd break these three scopes down.  So far, in my view, it offers the shooter an excellent blend of features.  The XTR's best features are it's VERY true 1X magnification and of course it's bitchin' reticule.   It may not be the best set up for CQB, but it's benefits on a 1-4 are definately there past 10 yards.

As with any review....you know the OP is full of shit if he's totally one sided on the review.....lol....so here's my attempt to bring some balance to my admirable opinion of the Burris XTR.  Corrections I'd make to the XTR are: increased daytime illumination, shoring up the battery cap, fattening the horseshoe, removing the Burris verbage printed on the scope itself, and removing the BDC past 600 yards even though it doesn't hurt anything having it there.  None of the above should deter you from options out there - I say that with a great deal of confidence.  I do wish I had a Meopta K-Dot to try out & compare to the spread here.

For a civilian shooter, I think this optic is a great option.  If I were in the military or got paid to somersault outta humvees...I'd likely get a NXS or skip the variable and opt for an ACOG.  Still, my AR would certainly fail before the Burris XTR does.  So my bottom line is:

The Burris XTR / Larue package is an excellent choice for a 1-4 variable AR optic for those who don't want daytime illumination, want a complete BDC on a crisp user friendly reticule, and a rugged platform....all under $800 to your doorstep.  Hard to not like this set up.  

Simple, rugged, precise, affordable, easy to use, and garaunteed by it's company.

I hope this review helps a few fellow Arfcommers out there

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice review. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Good work Hokie!

I have a Nightforce 1-4x24 with Zero Stop knobs coming my way for my LaRue SPR mount!
The Burris seems like a great choice for a scope in between Nightforce/Leupold Tactical and
the Millet Tactical scope.

AC
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the review.  This scope was on my short list before I figured out it wouldn't fit in my patrol car's mount.  

Still, thanks for the write-up.  You da man.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged for updates. I ordered one of these scopes with the PEPR mount directly thru Burris using their LEO/Firearms Instructor discount. Im looking forward to hearing first hand experience.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Great review.  I've gone back and forth too many times but am definately leaning towards a 1-4x.  I'm waiting to get word on the new Valdada1-4x for comparison since it's initial review got great raves.

One thing you said concerns me... you said the illumination isn't visable in the daytime?  Can you explain?  Is just not bright enough?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent, thanks !
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is another review for reference.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=406376
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice review Hokie.... get us some reticle pictures!!!! PLEASE!

This scope would be at the top of my list if the illumination were visible in the daytime.
It Trijicon could make a TR24 with that Reticle, it would be the best optic on the market.
If Burris made it with daytime visible illumination, it would be the best.

Anyway... awesome optic and on my "short list" for my Noveske MPL.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
It's definately not daytime visible.  Scratch the Burris if you want daytime illumination - won't happen unless it's overcast & cloudy.  If the sun's out, the reticule will be black.  Personally - I prefer that.  I found/find myself always covering up my ACOG's and turning my sunshade closed on my Accupoints.  

Borrowing this reticule pic from the thread referenced above until I snap some of my own:
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I love your setup.  Can you include a pic of the entire rifle?   I am have been playing with a Millet DMS-1.  I like the concept but obviously the DMS-1 does not deliver as well as your XTR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
AR w/ XTR Photos:

Another photo of the XTR:

Backyard 200 yard range:

Reticule at 1X Magnification:

Reticule at 4X Magnification:

Specs on the gun:

BCM 16" Midlength Gov't Profile Chromelined 1:7 Upper Reciever w/ 5C1 Flash Hider
PRI GasBuster (this gun is on the long road to suppression)
Daniel Defense Lightweight 12" railed forearm w/ XT rail covers & Ladders
Front & rear Troy BUIS
Burris XTR 1-4X24
Giselle trigger
Magpul MIAD
Magpul UBR w/ H-Buffer
Pentagon X3-HA on a Viking Mount
Vickers sling w/ MI QD mount on the handguard
Harris 6-9" Ultralight bipod & Larue QD mount
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice review Hokie.... get us some reticle pictures!!!! PLEASE!

This scope would be at the top of my list if the illumination were visible in the daytime.
It Trijicon could make a TR24 with that Reticle, it would be the best optic on the market.
If Burris made it with daytime visible illumination, it would be the best.

Anyway... awesome optic and on my "short list" for my Noveske MPL.

-ZA

I'd agree that if a 1-4 Accupoint had this particular reticule and was manufactured by Nightforce...many of us would buy one and be forever satisfied.  I'd still increase the thickness of the horseshoe, but it's otherwise, in my view, a perfect reticule for an AR15.

It's about what you want in a reticule, really.  I think the XTR's reticule makes it a real player when making an educated decision on what low power variable optic you want to invest your money in.  There are many great choices out there...be it Leupold, Nightforce, Meopta, Trijicon, etc.....having owned and used many these, I really think the Burris is the dark horse.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for adding the new pics.  Your carbine is pretty much exactly the concept I am working towards.   On a side note do you think the UBR is superior to the CTR for this concept?   ALso is the reticle visable on somewhat overcast days outside?  Unless it is pretty bright out I can see the illumn in the Millet.  Not that would improve the DMS-1's standing against the XTR any.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for adding the new pics.  Your carbine is pretty much exactly the concept I am working towards.   On a side note do you think the UBR is superior to the CTR for this concept?   ALso is the reticle visable on somewhat overcast days outside?  Unless it is pretty bright out I can see the illumn in the Millet.  Not that would improve the DMS-1's standing against the XTR any.

The UBR's extra weight balances this gun perfectly.  Plus, I like the firm cheekweld.  The lit reticule can be seen on overcast days, yes...though it's not beamin' at you.  I wouldn't get this scope if you want illumination between dawn and dusk.  The battery life is between 30 & 100 hours depending on intensity and ambient temperature.  Best to leave the XTR's illumination for background contrast as opposed to a primary aiming tool.

I'd say if you want daytime illumination you should look at the Meopta or Accupoint, or just stay with the Millet.  Or save up a couple thousand bucks for the S&B Short Dot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll be picking up a flip cap on Tuesday to occlude the XTR, I'll snap some photos of that too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
good info thanks..

My only problem is that I usually have no use for the tiny 24 mm objective due to limited light transmision and small field of view.  This is from my 30 plus years hunting whitetailes with rifles.   SInec most shots are at dusk and dawn, the larger objective gives you additional hunting time.

Have you used this in low light?  I now the reticle is illuminated, but can you make out the target in low light conditions when compared to a 30 or 40 mm objective?  What about the field of view?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Gee  Hokie,  those pics look familiar  

Here's my review.

I still REALLY like this scope.

"Simpkinst"
this scope is brighter than my NIKON MONARCH 3-9x 40mm at night.

low powder scopes don't need 40mm objective to be bright.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd agree that if a 1-4 Accupoint had this particular reticule and was manufactured by Nightforce...many of us would buy one and be forever satisfied.

I think I just got a boner...

That would be the best scope ever made. LOL! It' probably cost $2500... but it'd be the SHIT!

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here's my review.

"Simpkinst"

I gave ya credit!
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
good info thanks..

My only problem is that I usually have no use for the tiny 24 mm objective due to limited light transmision and small field of view.  This is from my 30 plus years hunting whitetailes with rifles.   SInec most shots are at dusk and dawn, the larger objective gives you additional hunting time.

Have you used this in low light?  I now the reticle is illuminated, but can you make out the target in low light conditions when compared to a 30 or 40 mm objective?  What about the field of view?

I am a bit confisued by your post.

You mention the 24 objective is tiny.  I see it as quite large... it yeilds a 6mm exit pupil at 4X.  That is very large almost to the point of being impossible for a larger objective to give any additional brightness and this will only have ANY effect in TOTAL nighttime with very limited moonlight and no exposure to much ambient light for extended periods.  The human eye does not exceed 6mm very often.  You mention hunting time and a 6mm exit pupil is much more than is needed for this as dusk type light will not allow for a human pupil to dialate to 6mm.  In fact a 50mm objective on a 9X scope will yeild a smaller exit pupil and is smaller relative to this scope and thus becomes darker eariler.  You find 50mm scopes inadequate at 9X near dusk then correct?  I find this hard to believe.  If you are used to 3-9 hunting scopes at 9X the 4X of the Burris is better than a 50mm objective but worse than a 56 mm objective.  I think thats pretty good.

Next you mention small FOV and this 24mm objective gives a rather large FOV among the very best in class.  What FOV would be adequate to you?  Do you even own a scope with a wider FOV than this?  Most 3-9 hunting varibales have less FOV at 4X than the Burris at 4X.  Again I am perplexed.  Lets look at what I consider proabbly the standard for hunting rifle scopes the VX-II 3-9x50mm scope.  At 3X it produces 32.3 ft FOV and this is 3X... the Burris is that wide at 4X vs the Leupold at 3X... there is no magnification the 3-9X scope has better FOV, even at the worst FOV for the Burris and best FOV for the Leupold they are only equal.

The objective of this scope is LARGE and the FOV is WIDE.  These are some of the primary advantages of this optic.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's my review.

"Simpkinst"

I gave ya credit!

Just leave a quater on my Desk
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#22]
can you take through-the-scope reticule pics with the illumination on?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't get it.  Hokie says daytime reticule illumination is non-existant yet these pics from Derek45 show pretty good illumination to me.  What's the deal?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#26]
could be the camera focusing on the reticule and not the foreground/target....  I had that when taking IOR pics.

also not daytime visible, yet showed up fine with an auto-focus camera...
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#27]
my only complaint - only having seen pics and read this - is those dot holdovers....  they just rub me the wrong way....

what are they calibrated to?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I have another question; is the scope like that compatible with other holographic sights in target acquisition's speed or it slows it down a little bit versus eotech ?( both eyes open thingy)
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't get it.  Hokie says daytime reticule illumination is non-existant yet these pics from Derek45 show pretty good illumination to me.  What's the deal?

Bright sun - no good.  Overcast, good.

I'll also say this, and I intend to take some photos to show it....but indoors the reticule is perfectly visible and very usable...even when all the lights are on.  So I could clarify my statement and say that the illumination is daylight visible unless it's partly sunny or brighter.  

Don't get this scope if you feel you must have daytime illumination.  It won't satisfy your needs.  I opted against daytime illumination as I find myself constantly blackening out every ACOG and Accupoint I've ever owned.  To each his own.  The Burris XTR is not designed to deliver 100% illumination under all lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
my only complaint - only having seen pics and read this - is those dot holdovers....  they just rub me the wrong way....

62 grains at 3025fps
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting. Very interesting.  I'd love to see some bdc tests at a kd range.  Heck, I've been asking for that with an acog too!  Damn I need to find a good range :-(

And I haven't said it yet, so: great review man!  Great info here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Hokie,
Are you able to see the illuminated reticle on dark objects or shadowed areas if it's a bright & sunny day?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They can be worked out to whatever you want.

Check Mark Larue's thread about killing an elk with a 6.5 grendel, he used this scope and someone in his shop worked out the math for him. THen with a small cheat sheet inside his lense cover he was able to range and shoot an elk at something like 400 yards.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hokie,
Are you able to see the illuminated reticle on dark objects or shadowed areas if it's a bright & sunny day?

Yes.  The reticule, if lit, will contrast against the dark background.  For example, if from a sunny stand point you point the lit reticule at a black angled roof top, the reticule will stand out sharply.  In comparison, that same lit reticule will go black if pointed at the sky.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Fine review; thanks Hokie.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting. Very interesting.  I'd love to see some bdc tests at a kd range.  Heck, I've been asking for that with an acog too!  Damn I need to find a good range :-(

And I haven't said it yet, so: great review man!  Great info here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I did just that a couple months ago out to 300yds and it was dead on with Prvi M855.

Nice review! I've had this scope since it came out and love it. It's daytime illumination is weak but I have no need for daytime illuminatoin; In low light it's excellent. I also reaaly like how fast and easy it is to use at 1x w/ both eyes open. All in all it's the perfect fit for my new Recce!

Link Posted: 5/18/2009 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Hokie,

I see yours up for sale?  Did you run into problems, or just decide to go another way?

Link Posted: 5/18/2009 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hokie,

I see yours up for sale?  Did you run into problems, or just decide to go another way?

No problems whatsoever actually, it's an excellent scope and my favorite 1-4 by far.  It offers a lot to the shooter save daytime illumination.  That all said & done,  I sold mine because I'm simply way more practiced with ACOG's.  It's a real natural fit for me and BAC works like a charm.  Figured I'd simplify my world and go back to what I know.  Otherwise, the Burris would still be on that AR.

Great scope.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Dang, wish I had seen that ad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Works great for me!

Zero complaints....

Link Posted: 5/20/2009 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Skypup-

Do you ever get any use out of the FF on top?  I'd imagine I'd forget it was there until it was too late :)

Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Skypup-

Do you ever get any use out of the FF on top?  I'd imagine I'd forget it was there until it was too late :)

I've played around with it too much, but found it most useful on a 1 o'clock DD offset mount. On top it's just too high, the lower rings help but still awkward.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Skypup-

It is awesome for close range work.

I was deep in the woods tracking some hogs when suddenly something right in front of me (40-50 feet) deep ins a dark tangle of brush snorted at me and jumped up to a standing position from a laying down position, it was a huge 8 point buck. Scared the pants off me, but I was right on his vitals with the Fast Fire, although I did not shoot him since I don't shoot deer on my property, only on other peoples property.

IMHO, the FF is totally awesome for an instant non-thinking response anything out to 150 feet or so....also would be my first bet inside a building or room in any kind of SHTF scenario....
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I just bought one with a LaRue SPR-101 mount after checking it out from a semipro shooter at Blue Ridge Mountain 3 gun.

Everything is as expected, although :

- the brightness control "flickers" the lit reticule as it's turned - you can turn it on, look, and the rheostat happens to be in an "off spot" and the reticule isn't lit.

- turning the magnification thing is a bit gritty; as I understand it the lock screw on the magnification is the gas charge port, so there is no fiddling allowed with that.

Time to call them, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skypup-

I've played around with it too much, but found it most useful on a 1 o'clock DD offset mount. On top it's just too high, the lower rings help but still awkward.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/thugpassion4life/Misc%20hosted%20pix/RRAXTRFFDDmount.jpg

Where did you get that mount?

eta: n/m, I found it...
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Hokie & Crew:

Has your opinion of the XTR changed for better or for worse? I'm extremely interested in this optic.

I originally wanted to go with the ACOG but have a goal of building one go-to rifle that I could use in any situation effectively from 0-400 yards.

I like my Aimpoint T1 Micro a lot but would like to have some type of magnified power at the range so I can shoot for greater accuracy.  

I originally fell in love with the ACOG though it doesn't offer variable power which is definitely a concern sub-50 yards.

I'd consider moving it to my mid-length and it would give me an excuse to build a 14.5" for my Aimpoint T-1.

Do you guys think it's a good call? I also don't care about daylight illumination as I don't think it's much of a factor...though I would use it for low light conditions and hope it has decent battery life.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Just picked up one of these.  Like what I'm seeing so far.
I believe it is the G2 as it has the tapered reticle.
Anybody know who is making the tail for the mag ring and what size the front lens is for the Butler Creek cap?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't get this scope if you feel you must have daytime illumination.  It won't satisfy your needs.  I opted against daytime illumination as I find myself constantly blackening out every ACOG and Accupoint I've ever owned.  To each his own.  The Burris XTR is not designed to deliver 100% illumination under all lighting conditions.

Hokie,

First off ... thanks for the great post!

Second, did you get a Gen 1 or Gen 2 XTR scope?  I've been trying to do some research on these, and it seems like the Gen 2 units have brighter reticles.

Thanks.

SNS
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#50]
His is the gen 1.

The gen 2 has a tapered bottom crosshair if that make sense.  It gets more narrow toward the bottom.

The illumination was barely visible outside, but it was also overcast so I cant tell you what would happen in direct sunlight.  Buy a flip up cap for the front and snap it shut if you want it illuminated for daytime use.  

Its a very easy reticle to use.  I just got mine in from Larue a few days ago and got it up to the range.  Great optic.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top