Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2008 3:41:34 PM EDT
Alright I'm in the market for a new BUIS. What do you all think of the MaTech?
I know it's no Troy but I really like the elevation adjustment and current prices are attractive.  

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/mitchs_ms/Matech2.jpg
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros - Robust sight, military uses it, good price.

Cons - Peep sight only, no CQB open sight.

Personally, if you need the space for optics it's a good choice.  If you don't, I like the Larue fixed unit with QD.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm running a CompML3 at 1/3rd Co-witness so it's not all about saving space (I'm thinking the less obstructed view would be nice). I might get a 3x magnifier later though so it might be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
i have the matech behind a m4s and i love it.... dont worry about a larger peep sight you dont need it... its a back up sight...
and it would be no issue running a magnifier in front of it
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quality is so-so.  Be careful when installing, the locking bar breaks when you over tighten it.  I only have experiences with LaRue, Arms 40l and the troy buis other than the matech.  All of the others are built better as well as designed better.  I really like the troy because it locks in the up position and the first sight is the night or CQB, you have to rotate the aperture to get the small peep.  The Arms 40l locks in the down position, but not up and the small peep comes up first.  The Matech is okay but if your spending the money, you can do better IMHO.    
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It is a very good back up sight.
Because the sight stalk doesn't lock in the upright position, it won't break off should you drop your weapon or fall on it.
The apeture hole can be opened up if you need to and the sight will still regulate well enough to hit human size targets out to the maximum 300 meters.
If you break one of these sights screwing it onto a rail you are using waaaaay too much force on the screw. 24-36 inch pounds or 2-3 foot pounds is sufficient torque to anchor it to the rail.
http://www.fototime.com/B8D8981E951EDC5/standard.jpg
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
milo5

If you break one of these sights screwing it onto a rail you are using waaaaay too much force on the screw. 24-36 inch pounds or 2-3 foot pounds is sufficient torque to anchor it to the rail.  

The mounting instructions say to tighen screw until you cannot move the sight back and forth on the rail, then tighten 1/4 turn more... No torque spec's called out.

as to the sight, I needed a BUIS for a gun, so I picked up a used one for a song. It works. not my first choice, but If I needed to, I could tag someone with it if I had to..and that, after all, is the purpose.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one mounted on a 16" midlength and REALLY like it. I did some reading and it didn't have the best reputation, but got it cheap.

I know this will sound goofy, but when I look through it, it's almost like it magnifies what I'm looking at. I guess that's why I'm so tickled with it.

I'm running it behind an ACOG though, so no short distance shooting, which is probably where it doesn't fare the best.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two of them, paid about $35 shipped for each.  They are great sights, but not idiot proof.  You CAN break the locking bar by cranking on the sight, and the detent that holds the sight in the down position can become loose over time.  That said, they are the best deal going, just don't pay Brownells' price for them, shop the EE!
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Pat Rogers appears to be running Matech BUIS' on his rifles in the recent pics I have seen. Anyone have any insight on this? Maybe he will drop by and give us his opinions on them.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]

and the detent that holds the sight in the down position can become loose over time

Thats what is going on with mine. I bought it used and it flips up after about 3 shots. I suppose you could re-build the "nub" with a spot of weld or something. Anyone else know of a fix? I found a GG&G MAD sight for a really good deal to replace my matech.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
and the detent that holds the sight in the down position can become loose over time

Thats what is going on with mine. I bought it used and it flips up after about 3 shots. I suppose you could re-build the "nub" with a spot of weld or something. Anyone else know of a fix? I found a GG&G MAD sight for a really good deal to replace my matech.

This is the big concern for me. Frankly it'd be a little annoying for it to just pop up when ever it feels like. Could the spring be replaced with a better one if needed? Or something J/B welded?
Second question- Any good sources for new ones besides just cruising the EE?
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
They turn up on E-Bay and gunbroker from time to time.
The Brownells offered Matech sights are commercial offerings and somewhat overpriced compared to sights that have been ripped off from the military rifles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Frankly it'd be a little annoying for it to just pop up when ever it feels like.

It is annoying, thats why I replaced it. I don't think a different spring would fix it. There is a metal "nub" that sticks out of the side. When the sight arm is in the up position the nub goes into a detent on the sight arm. One or the other is worn, it looks to me to be the nub on the side of the sight. I'd imagine you could put some weld on there and rebuild/reshape it but I don't have a welder and I got the GG&G for $30.

ETA: if you look at the pics others have posted in the first one you can see the nub on the left side. In the second pic you can see the detent in the sight arm. I think if you buy a new one and don't play with it alot (lift it up and down just for fun) you'd be good to go. I liked mine it was just wore out.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I would think that using a stake/punch in the location would displace enough metal to get it to hold down the sight as good as new.

Another thing I noticed is how shiny the inside of the aperature is and how small it is. I fixed the shiny part with some flat black.  I may take a drill bit to the hole and open it up a bit.

Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
I would think that using a stake/punch in the location would displace enough metal to get it to hold down the sight as good as new.

Another thing I noticed is how shiny the inside of the aperature is and how small it is. I fixed the shiny part with some flat black.  I may take a drill bit to the hole and open it up a bit.

Good Ideas, I'll have to try that If I encounter any problems in the future. I'm kinda worried about putting such a small tack weld on the sight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked one up off ebay for $59.00 delivered.  It arrived yesterday and I like the look and feel of it.  The aperature does look small compared to my Troy setup, but it was $80.00 cheaper.  I'm still waiting on an upper to mount it on, so can't offer any pros or cons regarding function.  If you need the ebay dude's info IM me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

as to the sight, I needed a BUIS for a gun, so I picked up a used one for a song.

that is why I bought one myself...for 45.00 plus shipping, it was a good buy...

as far as the BUIS, i just prefer the Troy, ARMS, or the PRI.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I really like my MaTech...

The only bad thing is the screw is weak... it will break if you overtightened it.  Otherwise, I'm really happy with it.

Link Posted: 11/29/2008 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Speaking of the broken locking tab and bolt.....where can I get replacement parts  
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]
OK. dumb question: how do I open the sight after it is in the down/flat position? I got the matech new in the mail and it is in the down position and I dont want to break it by forcing it open.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Speaking of the broken locking tab and bolt.....where can I get replacement parts  

I would like to know this as well. I did some searching and saw some posts that mentioned a member by the name of Mongo who was making beefed up locking bars, but when I search for his username I get nothing.

Link Posted: 12/17/2008 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Muzzleloader,

just place your thumb under the sight where the aperture is and push up.  You will feel some resistance, but then it will pop up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank You!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I just built a CA legal AR-15 rifle and got a Matech BUIS. I like it in meters and it is simple to use. As the man said, "it's a back up!" nothing beats good optics.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I had one on my m4 in Ascrackistan and never liked it.  The aperture is too small and too far forward to be comfortable.  Many soldiers had the problem of the sight not staying down, very common!  I ran an ACOG and needed a backup for close work.  Didn't need it BTGOG.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Should be available soon
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Our entire infantry Bn is running this sight.  Great piece of gear.  We've had no issues with them.  It's a BUIS.....chances are you will never need it.  Especially on the civy side of the house.

Maj
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top