Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2007 1:31:40 AM EDT
Well the chinese have done it again - producted an EoTech 551 Clone. I have just purchased one for $142.00 and I'm supprised have nice it really is. Right button is "ON" and increase brightness control, Off is both right and left buttons, Left button is decrease brightness, NV button changes from a red reticle to a green reticle. The reticle is a large circle with a dot in center. Seems to turn itself off after 15 minutes. Uses four AG13 batteries. Works and looks great. Holds Zero once set. They have a winner with this one. Purchased here in US. If you want the look and operation without spending the money this is the way to go. At this point only time will tell but very impressed so far.
Link to the site
These guys need to change there name to the "Clone Company" because it seem that if a clone is availble they stock it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a shot of the  Reticle/red dot?

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Or get it for half that price here:

Link here
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
At least they had the decency to produce it without L3Eotech's trademark logo.  It's the only reason I can live with mayself over buying a Tac-point.

Tex78
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a problem with clones, but geesh, real EOTechs just aren't that expensive. Great condition 511's sell on the EE for $260-$300. And a real one will last almost forever and includes great customer service.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen and handled those clones -- they look fine, but I wasn't impressed.

You can get a worn Bushnell for less, I'll go with that in a heartbeat.  (Bushnell bought up that part of L3 as I recall)
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I've never seen that website before and ACOG's too?
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Or get it for half that price here:

Link here

I quite dealing with Hong Kong (overseas) just to save $20 to $40, when I have a problem and I have to send it back it cost me another $25 that is if they will correct the issue. I had a laser that quite on me and they didn't back it up - so I was just out money. Purchased the same type of laser from a US company and when I had a problem they corrected the issues. NO MORE OVERSEAS PURCHASES FOR ME
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#9]
why bother, really?

I'm trying not to be on my high horse about clones, but this is a "clone" in appearance only- the whole thing with eotechs is that the reticle/lens is a hologram.  This clone thing just shoehorns an LED red dot into an eotech ripoff case...  as far as form follows function, this has none.

spend the money on a cheap, but fairly reliable dot from someone like Burris and you'll be much better off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why bother, really?

I'm trying not to be on my high horse about clones, but this is a "clone" in appearance only- the whole thing with eotechs is that the reticle/lens is a hologram.  This clone thing just shoehorns an LED red dot into an eotech ripoff case...  as far as form follows function, this has none.

spend the money on a cheap, but fairly reliable dot from someone like Burris and you'll be much better off.

You know this for a fact, or just making an assumption?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why bother, really?

Know for a fact... handled one the other day at an AIRSOFT store.  it's a weird red dot that bounces an LED off the back inside then to the eye.  end result is that the reticle is kind of blurry and dim. It takes little watch batteries, wonder what the life is? Again, not impressed.  This is pure poser gear in my opinion, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why bother, really?

Not sure where you get your information from - Just got back from shooting with the Eotech clone and it acts just like my bushnell "holo" does. Once sighted the circle doesn't need to be in the middle of the glass to be on target. You must not have the clone to make the comment " as far as form follows function, this has none." - Althrough, I do have to say I would like the reticle to be a little brighter in the direct sunlight.

Hey man, glad it works for you.  My "information" is from personal experience checking out the unit at an airsoft store out of curiosity.

kind of warped, DIM reticle with no brightness adjustment.  

I'm simply saying that even as knockoffs go, this is a bad deal versus even a SPOT or other tube-type sight.  THe whole shape/form of the eotech is because of it's batteries and it's holographic window.  THis sight shares neither of those with the real thing.

I don't really care about clones for airsoft or toys- those are markets that won't typically hurt sales for "real" products.

If it works for you, then great. I just don't want people to think they can get one of these and have an eotech.  As for parallax/etc, have you tested it while shooting? move your head around and take a few shots- what about zero hold and battery life?

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Seems to turn itself off after 15 minutes.

Works and looks great.

Im going to just sit here and quietly reflect on those two statements.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Im going to just sit here and quietly reflect.............

Who you trying to kid..................  
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
why bother, really?

Know for a fact... handled one the other day at an AIRSOFT store.  it's a weird red dot that bounces an LED off the back inside then to the eye.  end result is that the reticle is kind of blurry and dim. It takes little watch batteries, wonder what the life is? Again, not impressed.  This is pure poser gear in my opinion, sorry.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Unfortunately there seems to be a tendency for people to spout or echo 'its crap' about gear even when that person has never actually handled it.  Makes it hard to judge what is factual and what is just baseless opinion.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for clearing that up.  Unfortunately there seems to be a tendency for people to spout or echo 'its crap' about gear even when that person has never actually handled it.  Makes it hard to judge what is factual and what is just baseless opinion.

Chinese copies of firearm accessories and optics produced for use on toy pellet guns have no place on real firearms, and as such their degree of "crappiness" has no real importance on a firearms discussion board.

Really quite simple.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Do people go to a Ferrari forum and ask about kit cars?

I try to stay away from the clone talks, Lumpy will remember, those of us that opposed the Aimpoint clones were called Gucci girls.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do people go to a Ferrari forum and ask about kit cars?

Do people go to a firearms forum and ask about airsoft items!? Oh wait, never mind...........
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]
QUIB = Gucci girl

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
QUIB = Gucci girl

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
We had a good laugh

Anyway, if you get a chance, take it to a training class.  I remember in all of the carbine classes, Aimpoints and ACOGs never had any problems, EOTechs did.  Battery found dead, battery contacts had to be cleaned.  Not anything major though.  We trained in hot, cold, dusty, and heavy rain fall, all of the real deals came through with flying colors.  The Aimpoint knockoff had problems time and again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 2:41:05 AM EDT
[#23]
if i can save 130 bucks while shooting paper at a range where the paper doesnt shoot back, thats fine with me.  in the mean time when the paper shoots back i usually get an m9 and the 19 year old security forces kid guarding the plane gets an m4 w/aimpoint.   all im saying is beware of the paper targets.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2007 3:10:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top