Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2006 6:21:50 PM EDT
Is this a bad combination? I've read the FAQ's about focusing on the target and turning the power down and still all I see is a sea of noise, starburst, a filled circle, no sign of a center dot or a ring. I'm wondering if my LASIK surgery which was the greatest thing since sliced bread (went from 20-300 to 20-40 my choice could have been 20-20 but that results in reading glasses) which can cause a starburst effect with bright lights at night might be the problem? This thing is useless. Do they come that way sometimes?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
wow, interesting post.. I never thought LASIK could affect something like this

keep us updated and informed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
How long ago did you have the LASIK done?  I also have starbursts at night with bright lights but was told it would go away in a few months.

ETA: I had LASIK done 5 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it did not fix the astigmatism?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I had PRK surgery in Fall 2005 before deploying to Iraq and did have some problems with it for the first little while. I used an EOTech 552 at my last 3-gun match and had decent results. I do see some halo around the 65 MOA ring but I think it has always been that way.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey All

I had lasik done several years ago and have not had any problems with the EO Tech. If you had the surgery done recently wait a while and then check it again. What do I mean by a while you may ask? It took me 3 months to achieve 20/20 but it was well worth the wait.

r
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
had lasik 2.5 years ago and my eotech worked fine, no issues
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
i have dot problems with aimpoint wearing contacts. It doesn't do it with my left eye, or with glasses. I'm getting a eotech hoping it won't do it. tag for other reports
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Update. After using the Eotech in better lighting, I believe everything is O.K. I can make out a ring and a center. It's a lot more funky than you are prepared for even after reading the "fine print", but it wtll get the job done. As for the questions:

Quoted:
How long ago did you have the LASIK done?  I also have starbursts at night with bright lights but was told it would go away in a few months.

I few months is probably correct. However, I still have a slight effect after 5 years. You get used to it and don't really notice it .

Quoted:
Maybe it did not fix the astigmatism?

Never had one. Although LASIK can correct one, it's primary function is to change the focal point of the lens.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I had Lasik done about 5 years ago.  I have 3 Eotechs on 3 uppers and it's about the only sights my 59 year old eyes see clearly.  Iron sights require your eyes be able to focus over a long depth of field, and mine don't.  The Eotechs keep the sight and target both in focus for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I had Lasik done 2 years ago, corrected my vision to 20/15.  Did not have the halo effect at night but did have trouble with the EoTech A65 reticle (halo effect) so I sold it.  I recently bought the Bushnell Acog looking red dot with the 1 moa center dot and my shooting improved greatly.  Based on that I just ordered another EoTech with the single 1 moa dot reticle (511-D1).  Expecting the same great results.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had lasik eye surgery to correct an nearsightedness. I was a 20/400 before surgery an now I am 20/20 in my right and 20/30 in my left. I do still get a little star burst with my EOtech but nothing to crazy. It is kinda weird. It comes and goes depending on the lighting around me. usually the lower the lighting the more pronounced the star effect. It never becomes unbearable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm day 3 after Lasik. Saw this post and grabbed a rifle with a 553 on it. I'm still having some halos and starbursts at night but the Eotech is fine in both the shade and sun
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Very bad astigmatism But I can see the ML2 aimpoint dot Fine as long as I dont Crank it up all the way bright

I also have a 551 Eotech The 1 moa dot is fine but the circle around the 1moa dot
LOOKS like broken up little DOTS

Might try lower setting

also I have a pair of glasses that blurs the red dot

wearing contacts I have no trouble kinda of strange
Link Posted: 3/6/2007 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Just found this thread. I had wavefront LASIK done 6-7 months ago, and my EOTech is crystal clear
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top