User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2005 1:09:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow- That's one nice Ka-Pow! in Troy Ind's face!  Not a bad price either.
(Kisara in Prague)
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#3]
looks good with that price!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one coming from JTAC
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the duel screws for the locking block.

I have mine coming from MSTN.

Matt
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Now PRI needs to come up with an innovative rear sight!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Any real world experience with these yet?

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have pics of this mounted?  I think its a great looking sight, but I'm wondering how far back the base needs to be mounted so that the post doesn't hang off of the front of the handguard when folded down.  Or is that the idea?

Either way, I'm not sure it will look right in either the up position (if mounted back from the front edge) or down position (if mounted all the way forward on the hand guard).  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its sort of big when compared to all the other rail mounted flip up front sights I have or have seen. This would include the KAC, Troy, and either of the YHM sights.

Big as in more stout, or unecessarily bulky to the point of being a fault?

I'm seriously considering one of these.  I've narrowed it down to this or the Troy.  I see the PRI as having at least 3 distinguishing advantages over the Troy.

1.  The natural arc and maximal power range of the human arm and hand is a pulling motion.  Thus, pulling it up toward your body and up is a more natural motion than pushing it forward and up.  Also, while maintaining a shooting stance with the strong hand on the pistol grip, the supporting hand fingers can grasp the front sight in that same natural motion.  With the Troy, you either have to wedge your thumb under/against it or dismount the rifle to flip it up with the same type of motion.

2.  With it mounted "correctly" so that it flips back for up and forward for down, hitting something with it while you're moving forward won't knock it down, even if the locking mechanism fails.

3.  The PRI uses standard front sight posts.  The one thing I really dislike about the Troy is the AK style front sight post.  I don't like the idea of using either a non-standard AR tool or range trash to adjust elevation.  Also, I prefer to use a much smaller width front sight post than what is standard, and I know of no simple way of altering the Troy.  With the PRI it simply requires swapping it with any of the numerous aftermarket front sight posts.

Am I missing anything?

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a KAC

Troy

PRI

The PRI and Troy sights are tough enough to use as a permanently standing sight. the KAC, as NAG pointed out, requires slightly more work to raise as the sight post sits recessed inside the metal bracket, its detents are so minimal, a tiny amount of pressure will fold it back down.  When in the up position, it is not protected like the Troy's and PRI's hood, or like the standard FSB's ears.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Derp...

New PRI rail mounted sight, not old barrel mount.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I should have mine tomorrow.  I'll post pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Now PRI needs to come up with an innovative rear sight!  

Exactly, since their previous folding front sight/gas block version WOULD NOT ZERO properly when used with either the ARMS 40A2 or 40L-sp on a RRA A4 rifle upper.  Installing a taller front sight post is NOT an option, as it ends up so high you get a sight picture, with the front post way over halfway up inside the front hood "circle", that drove me crazy.

The front sight post "deck" height of the PRI example I have on hand is the LOWEST of any front sight bases I have measured, a recipe almost guaranteed to prevent getting a good 50 yard zero with a standard A2 post.  The PRI did NOT zero properly when used with an actual A2 rifle upper either...

Paladin

funny that all my A1's zero quite well.  and the F marked Colt twins zero'd well.  "must be my sight picture"...NOT!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The front sight post "deck" height of the PRI example I have on hand is the LOWEST of any front sight bases I have measured, a recipe almost guaranteed to prevent getting a good 50 yard zero with a standard A2 post.  The PRI did NOT zero properly when used with an actual A2 rifle upper either...

Paladin

Are you talking about the original gas block front sight or the rail mounted front sight that is the subject of this thread?

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I was agreeing with the poster stating they need to build a rear sight, and explained why.  I think I DID make clear which I was referring to.  Don't worry, I'm sure the NEW version will float your wheaties and look really cool.  Some guys even LIKE a 400 yard zero.

I felt that posting into a thread STARTED by the guys selling what I had an issue with WAS appropriate.  Hopefully an informed reason why they are so short will be forthcoming...obviously it's because RRA made their upper too tall(sarcasm!).

Paladin
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was agreeing with the poster stating they need to build a rear sight, and explained why.  I think I DID make clear which I was referring to.  Don't worry, I'm sure the NEW version will float your wheaties and look really cool.  Some guys even LIKE a 400 yard zero.

I felt that posting into a thread STARTED by the guys selling what I had an issue with WAS appropriate.  Hopefully an informed reason why they are so short will be forthcoming...obviously it's because RRA made their upper too tall(sarcasm!).

Paladin

I don't know where the aggression is coming from in your reply, but I wasn't trying to be combative in my question.

You said the gas block/sight PRI was too short.  Ok, got it.  Then you said the PRI example you have on hand is also too short.  Ok, got it.  But what model do you have on hand?  You didn't implicitely state what you have after you said that the gas block model was too short.  Do you have experience with the model that I'm asking about, specifically the rail mounted PRI BUIS?

I'm looking for people who have experience with THIS PARTICULAR SIGHT SYSTEM.  The thread I started in regards to the rail mounted PRI got no response, so I started asking my questions in already existing threads.

BTW, I don't think anyone said that your comment was inappropriate either, unless it was deleted before I saw it.  This is a discussion forum.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow- That's one nice Ka-Pow! in Troy Ind's face!  Not a bad price either.
(Kisara in Prague)

Surey you cannot be serious....  Its (looks)big, bulky, and not really a , the base is larger, hense, not lower profile.  and Why would you need two cross bars, if one has been fine for many companys' without losing Zero ?  

But it's is good they learned something from Troy, since it locks in the upright ! Good for them !
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Surey you cannot be serious....  !

Yes, I "Surey" am!   If you experienced the Troy customer service I did, you would too!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#23]

IMAGE STATION: Rate this image! 1 person has rated this image, and it was rated 10.

(That would be me)

After seeing your pics, I'd mount it backwards too.   Question on that particular weapon- When the PRI is in the down position, is it still visible in the ACOG?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I noticed something interesting with your last pic.

The front sight post detent is toward the rear of the gun when the sight is deployed.  This is opposite of a standard fixed front sight tower.  Also, the curvature of the area where the shroud turn into the main body of the sight is facing toward the rear.  Isn't that opposite the way the HK MP5 type shrouded sight is designed?  I think that mounting it with the curvature toward the eye may cause some backward light scattering and reflection if conditions are right.

Damnit!  Why didn't Troy just put a standard sight post in their BUIS!!?  That would solve my issues with the Troy mount.  The PRI looks to have what I want with the standard sight post, but it seems to have its faults also.

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#26]
that PRI does look bulky.  I think I'll stick with Troy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
once my guns irons are sighted in, I dont need to adjust them again.

that was my thinking as well, and is also why I only own buis and A1s, no A2s.

I understand the other guy's point about wanting a thinner front post (although I don't really know why, especially on a BUIS), but I could swear I've seen options for thin AK front posts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Got mine today in the mail.  I ordered it from JTAC Supply  I found it also better to mount it backwards.  It is slightly "bulkier" than the Troy but I don't think enough for that to be a reason for someone not to get it.  I had one small problem where the little piece that the allen bolt screws into was wedged in there crooked and would allow me to slide it on the rail.  I just took a punch and knocked it out and then put it in there straight and it fixed it.  Range time will be the deciding factor of course, but right now I really like it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#30]
After playing with this thing I have decided that what we are calling "backwards" is not actually so.  When mounted "backwards", the BUIS is flush with the end of my handguards and also the hood is profiled the same as the PRI gasblock style.  I think they just messed the wording up when they said it folds "forward".
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
that PRI does look bulky.  I think I'll stick with Troy.

I agree.  I don't see an advantage over the Troy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
If you already have a Troy front then you are right, you probably don't need to replace it.  However to completely discount it because it is just a hair taller is the wrong idea of thinking.  If you have ever shot with a PRI sight you would know how awesome the sight picture is with the fully hooded aperture.  But I guess some people care more about looks then function huh?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If you already have a Troy front then you are right, you probably don't need to replace it.  However to completely discount it because it is just a hair taller is the wrong idea of thinking.  If you have ever shot with a PRI sight you would know how awesome the sight picture is with the fully hooded aperture.  But I guess some people care more about looks then function huh?

Lets just go back to thinking what is a BUIS, a BACK UP IRON SIGHT.  take a look a MP5 front sight (some of the best CQB sights, and was the most used and recommended before the AR made its come back with DRMO prices to PD's across the Country) they have open tops.

There is a reason why there is not a "Hood", a nice open platform.  When firing you focus on what, the front sight post, so it needs to be visible.  During different times of the day/ night and weather conditions and or temperate areas, you WILL receive a different shadow form you "Hood".

I just posted this in another thread also, AK sight tools are available ALL over the world, also crushed casings can be used to adjust it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets just go back to thinking what is a BUIS, a BACK UP IRON SIGHT.  take a look a MP5 front sight (some of the best CQB sights, and was the most used and recommended before the AR made its come back with DRMO prices to PD's across the Country) they have open tops.

There is a reason why there is not a "Hood", a nice open platform.  When firing you focus on what, the front sight post, so it needs to be visible.  During different times of the day/ night and weather conditions and or temperate areas, you WILL receive a different shadow form you "Hood".

I just posted this in another thread also, AK sight tools are available ALL over the world, also crushed casings can be used to adjust it.

Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that the MP5 front sight doesn't have a hood?

-Anthony
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry dude I worded it wrong.  What I trying to get across is that wit h a "Open" top, you can get a crisper, cleaner sight picture with more light on your front sight post.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Have you ever used a PRI sight?  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Sorry, the little gap at the top of the Troy hood is hardly an issue.  I'll take less bulk over 1/4" of metal anyday.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'm not knocking the PRI front sight.  I have the folding gas block sight on my Mk12 Mod 0 and it's a good sight.  But this rail mount folding sight is a whole different beast.  All that I'm am saying is that given the height constraint, it may not be best suited for a rail mounting.  Regardless of how it is supposed to be mounted (folding forward or folding backward), when the sight is erected, it is no where near the furthest point from the rear aperture.  This reduces the accuracy possible with the rifle and is the reason the fixed A2 tower tilts forward not backward.  And forget mounting it folding forward off of the front of the hand guard.  You are asking for trouble when you snag it on something.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Have you ever used a PRI sight?  

I have, and have removed many of them off my kits, to replace it with a Larue Tact. Rail and low profile gas block (and these were issued carbines).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top