Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 7/30/2005 5:09:21 PM
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 5:10:08 PM by mountsplus]
NEW! PRI Rail Mounted Flip Up Front Sight

The new PRi forearm rail mounted front sight is designed just like the original barrel mounted flip up front sight. The rail mounted sight works on any rail that is mounted at the same levels as the recievers rail. The sight is designed to lay forward in the down position. The sight then can be raised and locked in the up position for iron sight use.

Click to lear more

Aiming for Perfection
new-arguy
hard boiled
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/30/2005 9:17:05 PM
Send me some Ned!!!!
(Neil in Jacksonville)
FDCC - 1*
FL Defensive Carbine Club; www.fdcc.us/
Go chrome or go home!
Kisara
Město Pardubice
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2005 2:53:31 AM
Wow- That's one nice Ka-Pow! in Troy Ind's face! Not a bad price either.
(Kisara in Prague)
You members that use "My Fishing Pictures" are nothing but Red X's to the rest of us.
eklikwhoa
ADDICTED
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2005 9:54:00 AM
looks good with that price!
FUNction over form

Maverick656
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2005 1:51:36 PM
I got one coming from JTAC
Matth3wdean
Derp...
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:45:12 PM
I like the duel screws for the locking block.

I have mine coming from MSTN.

Matt
If you have more posts in one year compared to the number of bullets you’ve shoot, there might be a problem.

AR223
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:59:30 PM
Now PRI needs to come up with an innovative rear sight!
Muad_Dib
Anthony, UW-Madison Gun Club President (retired)
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 3:56:37 PM
Any real world experience with these yet?

-Anthony
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. --Benjamin Franklin

safer.rso.wisc.edu
Redhook
Will work for Beer!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 5:15:35 PM
Does anyone have pics of this mounted? I think its a great looking sight, but I'm wondering how far back the base needs to be mounted so that the post doesn't hang off of the front of the handguard when folded down. Or is that the idea?

Either way, I'm not sure it will look right in either the up position (if mounted back from the front edge) or down position (if mounted all the way forward on the hand guard).
new-arguy
hard boiled
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:30:57 PM
I just built a gun with one. I tell you what, I mounted it backwards! Personally I like it better this way and think thats the way it should have been made. It shortens the sight radius slightly, but the way the gun is built, sight radius is way longer than a carbine or midlength. Had I mounted it the way I believe it was intended to mount (where the sight fold forward instead of back) the front would have been hanging off the front of the rail and been easy to snag. If I mounted it far enough back so it would not hang off the rail, the sight radius would be even shorter than it is now that I have it set up backwards.

Its sort of big when compared to all the other rail mounted flip up front sights I have or have seen. This would include the KAC, Troy, and either of the YHM sights. Sorry I dont have pictures to post right now, but I will put some up tomorrow. The gun is a mid length Armalite carbine with a DD 12" rail, ARMS #40L, TA01nsn, Surefire M600 and Magpul XT pannels.
FDCC - 1*
Go chrome or go home!
Muad_Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:10:18 PM

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Its sort of big when compared to all the other rail mounted flip up front sights I have or have seen. This would include the KAC, Troy, and either of the YHM sights.

Big as in more stout, or unecessarily bulky to the point of being a fault?

I'm seriously considering one of these. I've narrowed it down to this or the Troy. I see the PRI as having at least 3 distinguishing advantages over the Troy.

1. The natural arc and maximal power range of the human arm and hand is a pulling motion. Thus, pulling it up toward your body and up is a more natural motion than pushing it forward and up. Also, while maintaining a shooting stance with the strong hand on the pistol grip, the supporting hand fingers can grasp the front sight in that same natural motion. With the Troy, you either have to wedge your thumb under/against it or dismount the rifle to flip it up with the same type of motion.

2. With it mounted "correctly" so that it flips back for up and forward for down, hitting something with it while you're moving forward won't knock it down, even if the locking mechanism fails.

3. The PRI uses standard front sight posts. The one thing I really dislike about the Troy is the AK style front sight post. I don't like the idea of using either a non-standard AR tool or range trash to adjust elevation. Also, I prefer to use a much smaller width front sight post than what is standard, and I know of no simple way of altering the Troy. With the PRI it simply requires swapping it with any of the numerous aftermarket front sight posts.

Am I missing anything?

-Anthony

safer.rso.wisc.edu
new-arguy
hard boiled
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:25:46 PM
Eh, it is fairly bulky when compared to the others. The KAC site is minimalist and therefore very slim. In comparison the Troy is stout and much more bulky. To me the PRI seems a little overly large. When stowed, it is longer and taller than either the KAC or the Troy. I like what you're getting at with the being easy to flip up when mounted propperly, and I believe they you are absolutely right. The KAC would require the most attention to flip up. I dont think the Troy is difficult in any way though, with a couple fingers on either side, it comes up. Even so, the PRI woulod be the most simple. Especially if it did hang off the end of the rifle. catch the ledge with your finger and pop it up. It does not require much effort to bring it up when compared to the others.

The PRI does lock up, but its locking detent is rather small. I would guess that it is completely suffucient, but it is quite a small pin that you depress to release it. I will post pictures tomorrow of the KAC, Troy and PRI flip sights side by side for all to compare. At least as much as you will be able from my meager photos. I will post pics of the PRI front mounted correctly and backwards.
FDCC - 1*
Go chrome or go home!
Duffy
Member of GGC (Gucci Girl Club)
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:44:03 PM
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 10:47:27 PM by Duffy]
Here's a KAC

Troy

PRI

The PRI and Troy sights are tough enough to use as a permanently standing sight. the KAC, as NAG pointed out, requires slightly more work to raise as the sight post sits recessed inside the metal bracket, its detents are so minimal, a tiny amount of pressure will fold it back down. When in the up position, it is not protected like the Troy's and PRI's hood, or like the standard FSB's ears.
Matth3wdean
Derp...
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2005 11:09:54 PM
Derp...

New PRI rail mounted sight, not old barrel mount.

Matt
If you have more posts in one year compared to the number of bullets you’ve shot, there might be a problem.

Josh-L
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 4:51:57 AM
I should have mine tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it.
PALADIN-hgwt
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:30:28 AM

Originally Posted By AR223:
Now PRI needs to come up with an innovative rear sight!

Exactly, since their previous folding front sight/gas block version WOULD NOT ZERO properly when used with either the ARMS 40A2 or 40L-sp on a RRA A4 rifle upper. Installing a taller front sight post is NOT an option, as it ends up so high you get a sight picture, with the front post way over halfway up inside the front hood "circle", that drove me crazy.

The front sight post "deck" height of the PRI example I have on hand is the LOWEST of any front sight bases I have measured, a recipe almost guaranteed to prevent getting a good 50 yard zero with a standard A2 post. The PRI did NOT zero properly when used with an actual A2 rifle upper either...

Paladin

funny that all my A1's zero quite well. and the F marked Colt twins zero'd well. "must be my sight picture"...NOT!
Muad_Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 8:48:01 AM

Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:

The front sight post "deck" height of the PRI example I have on hand is the LOWEST of any front sight bases I have measured, a recipe almost guaranteed to prevent getting a good 50 yard zero with a standard A2 post. The PRI did NOT zero properly when used with an actual A2 rifle upper either...

Paladin

Are you talking about the original gas block front sight or the rail mounted front sight that is the subject of this thread?

-Anthony

safer.rso.wisc.edu
PALADIN-hgwt
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 3:06:04 PM
I was agreeing with the poster stating they need to build a rear sight, and explained why. I think I DID make clear which I was referring to. Don't worry, I'm sure the NEW version will float your wheaties and look really cool. Some guys even LIKE a 400 yard zero.

I felt that posting into a thread STARTED by the guys selling what I had an issue with WAS appropriate. Hopefully an informed reason why they are so short will be forthcoming...obviously it's because RRA made their upper too tall(sarcasm!).

Paladin
Muad_Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 5:51:44 PM

Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:
I was agreeing with the poster stating they need to build a rear sight, and explained why. I think I DID make clear which I was referring to. Don't worry, I'm sure the NEW version will float your wheaties and look really cool. Some guys even LIKE a 400 yard zero.

I felt that posting into a thread STARTED by the guys selling what I had an issue with WAS appropriate. Hopefully an informed reason why they are so short will be forthcoming...obviously it's because RRA made their upper too tall(sarcasm!).

Paladin

I don't know where the aggression is coming from in your reply, but I wasn't trying to be combative in my question.

You said the gas block/sight PRI was too short. Ok, got it. Then you said the PRI example you have on hand is also too short. Ok, got it. But what model do you have on hand? You didn't implicitely state what you have after you said that the gas block model was too short. Do you have experience with the model that I'm asking about, specifically the rail mounted PRI BUIS?

I'm looking for people who have experience with THIS PARTICULAR SIGHT SYSTEM. The thread I started in regards to the rail mounted PRI got no response, so I started asking my questions in already existing threads.

BTW, I don't think anyone said that your comment was inappropriate either, unless it was deleted before I saw it. This is a discussion forum.

safer.rso.wisc.edu
Tactical_Operator
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:44 PM

Originally Posted By Kisara:
Wow- That's one nice Ka-Pow! in Troy Ind's face! Not a bad price either.
(Kisara in Prague)

Surey you cannot be serious.... Its (looks)big, bulky, and not really a , the base is larger, hense, not lower profile. and Why would you need two cross bars, if one has been fine for many companys' without losing Zero ?

But it's is good they learned something from Troy, since it locks in the upright ! Good for them !
Kisara
Město Pardubice
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:52:51 PM

Originally Posted By Tactical_Operator:
Surey you cannot be serious.... !

Yes, I "Surey" am! If you experienced the Troy customer service I did, you would too!
[princess leia] Help me Obi-won Kisara, you're my only hope! [/princess leia] -Newarguy

new-arguy
hard boiled
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 11:43:35 PM
Here's the pics everyone, click the small one to be taken to a full size one...

Left to right; new PRI, Troy, Knights

Knights from top

Troy from top

PRI from top (sorry, I didnt get a pic of the PRI mounted correctly from the top)

Knights stowed

Troy stowed

PRI stowed

PRI (mounted backwards) stowed

Knights deployed

Troy deployed

PRI deployed

PRI deployed (backwards)

Here's a couple of the gun I put together with the PRI

FDCC - 1*
Go chrome or go home!
new-arguy
hard boiled
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/19/2005 11:51:21 PM
Oops, one more to show the small locking detent of the PRI (its the thin silver pin)
FDCC - 1*
Go chrome or go home!
Kisara
Město Pardubice
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:06:13 AM
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 12:06:44 AM by Kisara]

IMAGE STATION: Rate this image! 1 person has rated this image, and it was rated 10.

(That would be me)

After seeing your pics, I'd mount it backwards too. Question on that particular weapon- When the PRI is in the down position, is it still visible in the ACOG?
[princess leia] Help me Obi-won Kisara, you're my only hope! [/princess leia] -Newarguy

new-arguy
hard boiled
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:20:13 AM
Not that I noticed, but I admit not trying to see it. I doubt it, but I will check for sure tomorrow.
FDCC - 1*
Go chrome or go home!
Muad_Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:37:57 AM
I noticed something interesting with your last pic.

The front sight post detent is toward the rear of the gun when the sight is deployed. This is opposite of a standard fixed front sight tower. Also, the curvature of the area where the shroud turn into the main body of the sight is facing toward the rear. Isn't that opposite the way the HK MP5 type shrouded sight is designed? I think that mounting it with the curvature toward the eye may cause some backward light scattering and reflection if conditions are right.

Damnit! Why didn't Troy just put a standard sight post in their BUIS!!? That would solve my issues with the Troy mount. The PRI looks to have what I want with the standard sight post, but it seems to have its faults also.

-Anthony

safer.rso.wisc.edu
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2