Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
223Rem, Awesome rifle!!! Gotta love PRI components. I like the fluted barrel. I went with the Govt because I'm a weight weenie but have thought of having Kurt flute it forward of the front sight for the same look and to even further reduce weight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ipschosers1,

Here is a pic.  Man I suck with a camera!

The more I have the chance to use the Accupoint, the more salient the features become.  The barrel is a 1/9 twist so 69 gr bullets will be it's max.  First need to develop an accurate load and then work on some form of BDC using the reticle.

There is an Accupoint on EE for sale, good price too!

Edited to remove the dirty wall pic and add the link.      

I like this pic a lot. It shows how it works with the ARMS 22 and the ARMS 40 BUIS. Very sleek
Link Posted: 2/20/2004 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok.  This Accupoint really has my interest peaked.

If I were to put this on a 20" flattop AR and have it set a 3X, would the red triangle function about the same as an ACOG?  Also, for those that have the 3x-9x, how much of the target would you say the triangle covers at 100 yards at 9X?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/20/2004 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
From their website:

Details: AccuPoint 3-9x40 Riflescope, Amber triangle.  The AccuPoint can be
mounted with any standard 1 inch ring mount.

Magnification:  3x-9x
       Eye Relief: 3.6 to 3.2 inches
       Exit Pupi:  13.3 to 4.4 mm
       Field of View:  6.45 to 2.15 degrees
       Field of view @100 yds.: 33.8 feet to 11.3 feet
       Adjustment Increments:  4 clicks per inch @ 100 yds
       [b]Reticle/Triangle Dimensions: 6MOA to 2 MOA[/b]
       Length: 12.2 inches
       Weight:  12.8 oz.
Link Posted: 2/20/2004 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok.  This Accupoint really has my interest peaked.

If I were to put this on a 20" flattop AR and have it set a 3X, would the red triangle function about the same as an ACOG?  Also, for those that have the 3x-9x, how much of the target would you say the triangle covers at 100 yards at 9X?

Thanks

View Quote

What you say is correct for the 3x9x40. Would be an awesome long range scope.

The beauty of the 1.25x4x24 is that at 1.25x it servers the function of an Aimpoint and at 4x the ACOG! All with mucho eye relief for unconventional shooting positions with less than perfect cheek weld. The reticle covers 11MOA @ 1.25x and 4MOA @ 4x.

Life's a comprimise. I'm ready for Trijicon to make a 1.5x6 Accupoint with a 30MM tube! Whew! I don't think I could contain the joy...
Link Posted: 2/20/2004 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a newbie and have what will seem like to most of you some dumb question.Would someone please explain this stuff to me.Thanks

Exit Pupi: 13.3 to 4.4 mm

Field of View: 6.45 to 2.15 degrees

Adjustment Increments: 4 clicks per inch @  
 100 yds

Reticle/Triangle Dimensions: 6MOA to 2 MOA
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a newbie and have what will seem like to most of you some dumb question.Would someone please explain this stuff to me.Thanks.

Exit Pupi: 13.3 to 4.4 mm

Field of View: 6.45 to 2.15 degrees

Adjustment Increments: 4 clicks per inch @  
 100 yds

Reticle/Triangle Dimensions: 6MOA to 2 MOA
View Quote

Whoa Bro, ask the tough questions why don't you. [:D] Here goes...

Eye relief - The distance your eye has to be from the rear lens (occular) for a full feild of veiw to be seen thru the scope. If the eye is out of this distance range the veiw thru the scope is only seen in a small, center area.

Exit pupil - a function of scope construction, magnification and objective (front) lens diameter. The human eye's pupil can open to 5-7mm in dim light. Ideally the scope used in low light conditions will have an exit pupil diameter in this range at it's higher power settings. Higher magnification = less exit pupil diameter, Larger objective lens = greater exit pupil diameter.

Field of view - Degrees of veiwing area possible thru the scope. Decreases with magnification. Also dependent on scope design.

Field of veiw @ 100 yards - Distance in feet veiwable thru the scope at 100 yards.

Adjustment increments - each click moves the bullet's point of impact 1/4" @ 100 yards, 1/2" at 200 yards, 3/4" @ 300 yards, etc. Also known as a 1/4 minute of angle scope.

Reticle/Triangle dimensions - triangle covers 6" (minutes of angle, MOA)of veiwing area @ 100 yards with magnification set at 3X and 2MOA with magnification set at 9x.

Link Posted: 2/21/2004 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
New pics... Worst possible lighting, sun low and behind.

100 yards @ 1.25x

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/105872.jpg[/img]

100 yards @ 4x

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/105873.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm guessing the red might be more advantageous to the amber?  Still, looks great.  I can't wait to get one for my deer gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, it usually really glows bright. This is a senario where the light was at the worst possible angle (low and behind). I posted them to show that you always have a reticle, no matter what.
Link Posted: 2/21/2004 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
ipschoser1 thats awesome.Thanks alot for the info!
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ipschoser1 thats awesome.Thanks alot for the info!
View Quote

Glad to help.
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#13]
What's your preference then, Amber or Red?  Any thoughts on which one you like better?  What's your opinion of the reticule contrast in bright daylight vs low light?

I'm still tossed up over which one I'd want.
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#14]

I vote [red]red[/red]

Now I just have to figure out where I can scratch up some extra cash for one of these.

I sure like the affordable price though!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's your preference then, Amber or Red?  Any thoughts on which one you like better?  What's your opinion of the reticule contrast in bright daylight vs low light?

I'm still tossed up over which one I'd want.
View Quote

Hokie, my original preference was for the red but it's on backorder and I figured with the current state of affairs it could be awhile before they are available. That said, I'm ENTIRELY satisfied with the amber. The first pic posted is much more the norm than the backlit pics. The Accupoint is great all around but paticularly so in low light. Illumination under dim conditions is perfect as the triangle is plainly visable but doesn't overpower and obsure the target image. As for the backlit pics, the same level of illumination would have been present in an ACOG. To sum it up, I have no preference between the red and amber (I've used the red in a buddy's TA31).  
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried to get a few pics of the red reticle earlier this morning, but my POS digital camera had other ideas.  

But yeah, I vote red as well.  Never washes out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I liked this one REM [:D]

[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ywph/JPGS/LWSPR05.JPG[/img]
View Quote

Lumpy- Looks great. Would you mind describing the details?

L_d
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Its REM's gun.  He'll have to tell you about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]
For a small fee I could tell what color the reticule is![;)]
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
You're brilliant [:p]

For free, I'll tell him its a Rock River reciever, Daniel Defense forearm, PRI front sight and GG&G MAD BUIS...
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#21]
How much to tell me if you like the scope in the ARMS mount? Is it far enough forward?
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much to tell me if you like the scope in the ARMS mount? Is it far enough forward?
View Quote

Don't let the Bulter caps fool ya......
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope I'm not wearing you guys out with Accupoint info but I'd like to get in a couple of observations from my trip to the range today. The more I use this scope, the more I like it.

First, the ability to turn the fiber optics off has it's place. When "off" the post is very sharp and well defined. This makes for a great sight picture when shooting groups on paper to evaluate ammo. I was able to shoot several sub-MOA groups at 4x. It's also useful when engaging well camoflaged targets. A few such targets come to mind for me, unpainted steel plates / brown IPSC targets against a dirt berm at range and game animals against natural foliage at longer ranges. Of course the intensity of the triangle can also be adjusted for varying levels of contrast. As I get more time behind the TR21 this feature is proving very useful.

Second, the elevation/windage adjustments are the turret style. The elevation knob could easily be used to adjust between different loads or adjust zero to a chart for different ranges. I don't anticipate clicking on for long range with the 1.25x4 but it could be beneficial with the 3x9 to moderate range. I use this system with a laser rangefinder with my varmint rifles and Elite 4200's and it works very well. Adjusting between, say, a 69 grain bullet and a 55 would be easy however, and I'll probably take advantage of the ability to do so.

Can ya'll tell I'm having fun with my new toy? [:D]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I am going to buy one of these for a 20in colt flattop for 3-gun.  So what mounting hardware do I need to buy?  I'm not clear on differentiating all the different ARMS products, can you point me to links for specific products?  Preferably at the place with the best prices, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For a small fee I could tell what color the reticule is![;)]
View Quote

You guys are tough, low on dough, how about a [hail] now and a [beer] later???
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am going to buy one of these for a 20in colt flattop for 3-gun.  So what mounting hardware do I need to buy?  I'm not clear on differentiating all the different ARMS products, can you point me to links for specific products?  Preferably at the place with the best prices, thanks.
View Quote

Email sent. Check with the vendors here or the EE for current prices. C4iGrant set me up with ARMS #22M rings/1" inserts and I got my #38S-ex in an EE trade deal. The YHM front sight came direct from the mfgr. Maybe someone with a decent deal on any of these items can post you some links.
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I was looking around the Trijicon web site and there is a notation, I believe in the FAQ section, that they are considering a 30mm tube in,IIRC, 4-12. I also noticed that they had a sale on the 1.5-4 "orignal style" TR21R. Shooter Industry in the Dec 2003 talked about a new style with a larger diamiter quick focus eye piece and redesigned turret knobs. Does anyone know the differance between the "orignal" adjustment knobs and the current style??
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Shooter Industry in the Dec 2003 talked about a new style with a larger diamiter quick focus eye piece and redesigned turret knobs. Does anyone know the differance between the "orignal" adjustment knobs and the current style??

My understanding is that the previous version Accupoint had coin slot adjustments.

Here's the new style. Once again, please forgive the POS camera.

Link Posted: 3/6/2004 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just can't do it. You know, spend $1000 on a Trijicon ACOG TA31 or TA11. Let's face it, the ACOG's cool factor is high but it's price is just to much for me to justify. That being the case, I've been looking for a viable alternative.

As a 3 gun competitor I'm well aware of the advantages a low power variable scope offers. In fact, it has advantages over the much vaunted ACOG such as much improved eye relief for shooting in unorthodox positions with less than perfect cheek weld and variable magnification for up close speed shooting as well as long range accuracy. These are BIG pluses! As you might expect, they are also much cheaper than the ACOG.

Now for the shortcomings. The standard low power variable doesn't sport  military durability or the BAC illuminated reticle. Most have crosshairs instead of the more desireable triangle or doughnut reticles available in the ACOG. Being hunting scopes, the variables have some serious eye relief. Actually, this is an advantage from a shooting perspective but requires an extended rail of some sort for proper mounting on an AR.

[b]In walks the Trijicon TR21 Accupoint![/b]
Okay, now we're talking. This scope offers all the advantages of the low power variable and combines them with the illuminated BAC triangle! This baby is a 1.25x4x24mm. The triangle is 11MOA at 1.25x and 4MOA at 4x. It gives long range precision using the tip of the triangle at higer magnification and is very close to the capability of the Aimpoint Comp M2 if the whole 11MOA triangle is used for short range speed shooting. The best of both worlds! I can't find a situation where the TR21 doesn't excel, and believe me I've tried. It works in any condition from total darkness (tritium lamp) to bright sunlight. Even if the shooter is in a dark area shooting into a bright target area the black post reticle is boldly visable. There is even an adjustment to dim the fiber optic lighting if shooting from a brightly lit area into a dimly lit one! Awesome performance and versatility. Who could ask for more?

Now for the good news. SWFA has the TR21 on sale for [red][size=5]$399![/red][/size=5] Even with a set of ARMS #22 rings I've got $540 invested, about half the cost of an ACOG. Fortunately, I already had an ARMS #38 S-ex rail.

Here's a few pics...

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/102306.jpg[/url]

Here's a veiw thru the TR21 on a dreary, overcast day. Magnification is set at 1.25x

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/102310.jpg[/url]
View Quote

[shock][red][size=6]$599.00 NOW[/red][/size=6][shock]
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
[size=5]WOW!!![/size=5]

Guess the special is over. Problem is, with #22 rings and a #38 rail the total is now $909. A TA31 and a mount could be had for a little more $$$. Still, if I were doing it over, I'd rather have the Accupoint over the ACOG due to the versatility it offers. Realistically speaking though, at $589 for the TR21, the Bushnell Elite 2x7 would still be on the gun because I'd have had to much trouble justifying spending almost a grand on my optics setup. [V]  
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#31]
goddammit.

I WAS going to buy an Accupoint...
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I still think it'd be the shit on top of an M1A, even at full price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
goddammit.

I WAS going to buy an Accupoint...
View Quote

Hokie-

I have one on backorder, several weeks now, I hope I have that $399 price respected.

Lacking funds I couldn't ALSO order a 3x9 for hunting, replacing the Leuppy 3x9 on my 30.06 [:(]

L_d
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know much about sales and marketing but it seems to me that the Accupoint can OBVIOUSLY be sold for $400. It's an awesome scope that's made in Japan. While it does certainly have features unique to the market (which would increase it's cost somewhat) it's on par quality wise with the Bushnell 4200, also Japanese. The 4200's are sold for $400-450, and I mean the target grade 4x16x50 and 6x24x40. I can see why the made - in - America ACOG is more expensive but why the Accupoint? Sometimes I can't help but wonder if, in the civilian market, a scope that costs 1/3 less would sell three times better. I think that may be the case here. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Just not sure how I feel paying an additional $200 over the top of the previous price tag...considering that I'm sure a majority of that price is not associated with manufacturing and marketing costs.

I'm just upset cause I was saving hard for one...now it's out of reach.  I'm buying a house and this was supposed to be the 'last' purchase for awhile.  Ironically enough I finally pulled the cash together ($399+shipping,etc) with this Friday's paycheck.  Been saving for months for this scope.  Big let down!
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Hokie, do a search for Accupoint.

Theres more than one game in town [;)]
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#37]
I agree Lumpy, but before I saw this sale ($399.00) the next best price was $460-70,IIRC.

Edited: Well I did a quick search and the best price was more like: $499.

Link Posted: 3/7/2004 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Hokie, ya I know I still need to send that stuff to you.  Anyway shoot me an email and I might be able to hook you up on the scope.  My Distributor stocks them.  Get me the specs on what you want and I'll let you know.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2004 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hokie, ya I know I still need to send that stuff to you.  Anyway shoot me an email and I might be able to hook you up on the scope.  My Distributor stocks them.  Get me the specs on what you want and I'll let you know.  

View Quote

Awesome! Hope you can hook Hokie up on an scope.

If not, I propose that we start an Accupoint for Hokie fund. He only needs $200. I'm in for $20 if we can get commitments on the remainder. I don't think that'll be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#40]
You guys are too much!  I'm not a sentimental man by any means, but that comment hits home!  I wouldn't accept the offer regardless cause I'm too proud, but thank you anyway!

My wife excluded, that's the nicest gesture that's rolled down my path so far in 2004!  [beer]

Thanks to TNRonin for an assist.  I'll get my hands on one of these gems eventually.  My A-Bolt won't see the light of day until I do!
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#41]
What is on the AR that Lumpy has pictured in his post of 2/19/04 and says "I like this one REM"  
[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ywph/JPGS/LWSPR05.JPG[/img]

I want to have the same setup on my AR10T.

John
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My wife excluded, that's the nicest gesture that's rolled down my path so far in 2004!  [beer]
View Quote

You're the only guy that's accused me of being nice in 2004. [;)]

Seriously, the offer stands if you need it. One way or the other, hope you get your Accupoint.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#43]
$599! I saw a 3X9 Accupoint locally for less that that retail!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Here. Just did a quick Google search, and came up with these guys. Can't vouch for availability, etc. What the heck, it's a start.
[url]http://store.outdoorhaven.com/trac1ri.html[/url]

Craig

Link Posted: 3/9/2004 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks Craig. $450 is a smokin deal in light of current events.
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I sold my practically new 1-4 red triangle on the EE a week or two ago for $350.  I wanted a little more, but it was the only offer I got.

The scope has excellent optics, but I have just become too used to the Aimpoint to use anything else.  So I sold the Accupoint, just like I sold my Reflex II, ACOG and Eotech before it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I picked up the 3-9 with Amber from here yesterday.  [url]http://www.elitetacticalsources.com/Trijicon_Scopes.htm[/url]

It was a bit more the 450, (I paid 479)but I called on the phone and was handled very well by Roy.  It shipped today. He did NOT have the red in.

John
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Another good source!

You guys that are buying Accupoints, please post your observations/pics of the scope here. We'd like to hear your comments and see your rifle set-ups.
Link Posted: 3/11/2004 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Just to let you know I got the Accupoint for Elite Tactical Sources today UPS.  Saw the truck pull up and went to the office to get it.  I'll post pics when I get home from school.  

LOOKS AWESOME!!!![snoopy]

Now, can somebody tell me how that accupoint 7 posts above is mounted.[noclue]  That looks like what I want on my AR10T.

John
Link Posted: 3/11/2004 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I just bought a 3x9 Accupoint from a fellow ARFCOMMER on the EE for some coyote hunting

Ill get some pics up here ASAP
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top