Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 9:27:30 AM EDT
Any opinions on this sight?  The search function didn't turn up any info.  Any idea how it would co-witness with EOtechs?  There are some good prices out there for these sights, but again, if they aren't good quality, why bother.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive read in a couple of posts that they arent very good.People complained of them not being sturdy enough.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually the [url=tp-commerce.techpro.com/pantherarms/shopexd.asp?id=645]DPMS[/url] sight is very strong, and stable. The biggest problem most people have, including me, is that it is too big and takes up too much real estate on the upper to add extra optics.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Notack - I have broken two of them in the field on my rifles.

The attachment pins are very thin and easily subject to damage - unfortunate for the rest of the sight is well made.

I would go with the LMT version of the 'cut' carry handle
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
KevinB,

Pardon my ignorance , but what does LMT stand for?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
KevinB, I went with the CCH for my M4gery.
I should have completed my train of thought, that the DPMS is definately a "varmiter" or range sight.[:I]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
TXN-Im not sure what LMT stands for but this is it.A do it your self Chopped CH is easier on the wallet. [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7713[/img] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p02b5c7bce64941a3a1e4d9a73f980d54/fc20bcb9.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I see.  Did you chop your carry handle yourself, or did you buy it that way?  And what did you use to refinish the metal if you did do it yourself?

Funny thing is, I was eyeing my RRA CH this weekend wondering if this could be done.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a hack saw and emery paper to smooth sharp edges.Then used Krylon Flat Black.Some people use Alumahyde.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#9]
KevinB- This is my first AR so excuse the ignorance, but is there a way to replace the weak pin with something more stout?  Maybe the pin you're referring to is integral to the sight and can't be replaced.  I assume you are not referring to the actual thumb screws that would be seemingly easy to replace.

notack- I'm still searching for a used EOtech and I'm wondering if it and the DPMS sight will fit on my flattop.  JM03 posted a few pics that show a cut carry handle working with an EOtech, but not sure if the DPMS sight will be OK.

I actually just picked up a used DPMS sight from the EE for $35 shipped, so it won't hurt too bad to experiment with it.  If it doesn't work out, no big deal.

Thanks for the good info.

Greg

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
notack- I'm still searching for a used EOtech and I'm wondering if it and the DPMS sight will fit on my flattop.  JM03 posted a few pics that show a cut carry handle working with an EOtech, but not sure if the DPMS sight will be OK.
View Quote

In the configuration shown, the DPMS will not work, as it uses two thumb screws to mount. If the EOtech can be moved forward two ribs? the DPMS would work,.. but co-witness?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Where can you get the LMT sight at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where can you get the LMT sight at?

Thanks
View Quote

[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=156964]MSTN[/url] on the EE!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like the LMT has half the mounting knobs of the DPMS.

I managed to break one of the mounting screws on my four or five year old DPMS with my BAS (really BIG A55 Screwdriver) but the thing has been held there with just one screw for a year since.

I've been meaning to replace it really.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
LMT is $165 fricken US dollars? Must be a mistake and those are Hong Kong dollars. I wouldn't pay that much in Canadian dollars.

At $165 that's just over three times the price of the DPMS sight.

Amazing.

I can't want to sell my solid Ti rings - serial numbered and hand lapped with quick detachable levers for $1500 a matched set. I know I'll sell a dozen of them here alone.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the configuration shown, the DPMS will not work, as it uses two thumb screws to mount. If the EOtech can be moved forward two ribs? the DPMS would work,.. but co-witness?
View Quote

Actually both mount just fine... with the shorter NN battery EOTech (the AA model is about an inch longer). I had it set-up on my M4gery with the front of the EOTech just touching the handguard. There was just enough space at the rear for the DPMS sight.

It co-witnessed just fine except that I didn't like the way the DPMS sight blocked the EOTech screen. I've since dumped the DPMS sight and installed an ARMS #40 flip-up sight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I own both the DMPS and the LMT.  I vastly prefer the LMT - it is a very solid product.  The DPMS never failed or broke but it has always had a "cheap" feel to it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
KevinB- This is my first AR so excuse the ignorance, but is there a way to replace the weak pin with something more stout?  Maybe the pin you're referring to is integral to the sight and can't be replaced.  I assume you are not referring to the actual thumb screws that would be seemingly easy to replace.

Greg

View Quote

The pins are pressed into the sight base, I farted around with changing them out to use on one of the rifles we make... We pressed out the pins and machined out the base to accept a blind nut in the hole where the pin used to lock in, then attached the sight with allen-head machine screws -- just bass ackwards from the originall set-up. It is more of a "semi-permanent" mount however and required an allen wrench to remove.

All-in-all, not that much work, but not really worth it either... finally just designed a detachable A1 type sight (A2 aperature) that is really solid.

I will look for one of the sights with the pins changed out and post a pic if I find one?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Gunzilla- the guy selling the DPMS sight on EE ended up not selling it to me.  Still not sure what happened there.  At $35 bucks it would have been a good deal.  Thanks for the offer on posting pics, though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top