BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2017 7:37:03 AM EDT
All,

Anyone have opinions as to which one would be their prefered mag and why?

I'm looking at the new PMags M3 vs the L5 Lancer mags.

Cheers
Mark
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If price is no concern get Lancer.

If it is I would get M2 Pmags. Nothing wrong with the 3s though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
both will serve you well.  I run Lancers.  Full joy if someone hands me PMag
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both, prefer Lancers due to metal feed lips. Both work and the Gen 3 Mags have covers for the Mags which keeps the lips from spreading out in storage which is a plus. Aluminum mags are cheaper and work great also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking only for myself, it's Lancers or nothing.  I shoot more .458 SOCOM and SOCOM wildcats than all other calibers combined and Pmags do not work worth a damn for me, so it's Lancer AWMs all the way.  They never let me down.  If only the L7s price would come down some I'd be trying them in my LR wildcats too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#5]
30$ will get you 3 pmags or 1 or 2 lancers based on price. I'll take the pmags
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, just placed the order for 10 smoke grey Lancers from Brownells... with the free shipping and sale they have going, they are $11.99 each.

Not too bad...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW I like the hexmag's as much as my gen3 pmags
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Lancer > USGI > M2 > M3
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lancer > USGI > M2 > M3
View Quote
You like the Pmag Gen 2 over the Gen 3?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
P mags on sale I get them gen2 or 3. If i am having a good money week, I would buy lancer every time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#11]
According to magpul Army testing has proven Pmag M3's to be better than any other magazine on the market by far.

Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Lancer, then USGI.  But I'm not a professional trigger puller.

I have had some issues with Pmags.  Still have a bunch but probably will be buying Okays from now on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
According to magpul Army testing has proven Pmag M3's to be better than any other magazine on the market by far.

View Quote
Where can I find these tests/results?  Let me guess they are secret....
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Supposedly if you are in DOD you can see the test data by asking the right activities for it. According to Magpul, for everyone else it's classified.

Apparently the Pmags performed so good they never had a stoppage....ever, in any testing, not one single stoppage across hundreds of thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 According to Magpul, for everyone else it's classified.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to Magpul, for everyone else it's classified.
Magpul can tell everyone about even though it's classified information, but you can't actually read the report because it's classified.   
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Pmags for all my 5.56 AR's, their cheap and they work so I stick with them.

On my 300 blk I have issues with some ammo using pmags so I use Lancer mags with it. Also having the smoked lancer mags makes it easier not to mix up the 5.56 and 300 black ammo at the range.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Magpul M3's have a better feed angle.  They are my preferred magazine.  IME they also keep up with higher cyclic rates than most mags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#19]
My top pick is Lancers.  For pmags, I like the Gen 2's.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I prefer is M2 PMags vs M3.  Both are fine but gen2 is the best value.  Lancer AWM's are good but I find they wobble more in my magwell.  I like both but PMag for the price
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Gen M3 Pmags for me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Lancer. I prefer the metal feed lips and cheaper than Pmag Gen 3 at DSG Arms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Lancers are the motherfucking bomb.

PMags? Eh....
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Lancers, as well as the M2 and M3 PMags.  I'm a 3-gunner, and I shoot a lot.

I MUCH prefer doing fast mag changes with a Gen M2 or M3 PMag.  It seems a bit odd to me that this would be the case, but it is what it is.  Pmags just seem to feed into the magwell much easier/faster.  I've had several AR-15's and have never had any problem with a PMag.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought 6 Lancers for my AUG.  Havent shot them so far but just handling them I like it better than what Pmags I have left.  I've mostly went back to USGI mags.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll take Lancer first then Pmags second.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#27]
If price was no option / Both mags were equally priced, I would have all Lancers.  

That being said, I have about 8-10 Lancer L5awms and an easy 40-50 Pmags.  For 308 I have 10x 20 rnd pmags, 10x 25 rnd pmags, 1x 10rnd lancer L7 and 2x lancer 20rnds.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
30$ will get you 3 pmags or 1 or 2 lancers based on price. I'll take the pmags
View Quote
A while back, botach was selling lancer 6 packs for $50 shipped.

I fo'd a lil
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#29]
This is good info.

I'll be getting some of the Magpul M3 mags specifically for my M855A1 rounds. Other than that I actually prefer aluminum mags with anti-tilt followers for my everyday .223 use. I try to get the PSA mags when they are on sale. I prefer them to my M2 PMAGS.

For my .458 SOCOM I agree with Big-Bore ... Lancers or nothing at all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure about Army testing but here's a summary of the USMC's testing as well as what I've found with the M3s:

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a lancer mag and lancer is now sending me a new follower because they had a recall on the L5 AWM magazines for the follower not engaging the bolt catch. The magazine still functions but won't lock the bolt back. So my vote goes to pmag for sure.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll take Lancer first then Pmags second.
View Quote
This. All my 'serious' mags are Lancers, all my range/training mags are Gen2 Pmags.

Tomac
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Just replaced all my M2/M3 Pmags with Lancer L5 AWM. Both are good functioning mags, I just prefer the purchase you can get on the Lancers due to the texture they add to the mag body.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#34]
This was years ago so problem may be fixed but I have seen the metal feed lips fall off twice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I've used GI mags older than me, new GIs from BCM, Troy, Magpul, MFT, Hexmag, Lancer, the list goes on...I think the only ones I haven't tried are ETS and Amend2.

Like someone said above, Lancers are my first choice, followed by aluminum or Magpul depending on the price.  The MFT have been solid though for the $7 each.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]
If it's not Okay Industries (or dissolved NHMTG sister company) it's not Okay.

In my mind Lancer = Okay Industries > PMag M3
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If it's not Okay Industries (or dissolved NHMTG sister company) it's not Okay.

In my mind Lancer = Okay Industries > PMag M3
View Quote
And Gen2 PMag > Gen3 PMag
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Used to use PMAGs, have switched to Lancers. Feed lips weakening when left loaded a long time is a thing. I have no doubt new PMAGs are amazing, but I've had some long-loaded mags vomit rounds when dropped. Never had that happen with a USGI magazine, or to date, Lancers, although granted I've been on Lancers less than a year.

Lancers are also better on compatibility. My ARX-100 has a STANAG-compatible magwell. PMAG Gen 3s don't work in it. Lancers do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I have both, both have had no issues.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You like the Pmag Gen 2 over the Gen 3?
View Quote
Without question.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This. All my 'serious' mags are Lancers, all my range/training mags are Gen2 Pmags.

Tomac
View Quote
Same here. Pmags are cheap and work, but that's all I would say about them. Lancers, however, are amazing. Steel feedlips, cage and (often overlooked but major point)... steel shelf for mag catch (won't wear out).
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I like Lancers myself, but, I needed to buy some PMags for the pigskin games I run on here, and there was a good deal for the time last year, so I bought a couple dozen of the FDE ones to give out and for my Tavor.

If I could get Lancers for a couple bucks more I'd pay it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, you need a poll.

I haven't had issues with either product, but the Lancers seem much more solid, and they're smoother feeding.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Lancers all day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I've never had a speck of trouble from the M2/M3 PMAGS in 5.56mm weapons. That said, I do prefer the Lancer magazines in my .300 Blackout guns because they tend to be 100% with that round as well as with 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought a single Lancer magazine back in 2013 to test it out, after using PMAGs for years and through a couple deployments. I like the translucent smoke body, but I guess it didn't really do anything for me personally that the PMAG didn't do, and I like being able to put Ranger plates on PMAGs to assist with removing them from pouches (although they're not essential to me). The thing that bothered me - and I know this is nitpicking - was that the Lancer felt like I was inserting a fine metal file into the magazine well of my rifle. Something about the finish on the metal feed lips gave me the sensation that I was scraping up the inside of my rifle every time I inserted the magazine. Nothing like the smoother dry lube finish on GI magazines. It wasn't that I felt like it was damaging the weapon, just that it gave me a feeling like nails on a chalkboard. I put the Lancer mag in a box and went back to using PMAGs.

Two weeks ago, I noticed that the translucent FDE Lancers were back in stock at several online vendors, so I ordered a pair of them to see what they looked like (along with two more MCT PMAGs to add to the stash). The finish on the feed lips seems smoother, but the show stopper for me is that they are difficult to insert and lock on a closed bolt when full. Granted, the tan Okay mag and the brown EPM that I tested yesterday were equally difficult, but to me personally, after using PMAGs for years that lock on the first try on a closed bolt, it's not something I'm willing to mess with (and I'm not going to download rounds). I'm sure they'll break in eventually, but the new MCT PMAG M3s I tested the same day locked in place the first time, every time, with little effort.

In the end, the M3 PMAG also came out on top in the Marine Corps testing after a significant amount of rounds downrange, and that makes me confident that they will hold up to any abuse that I'll put them through. It also means that I'll continue to use them at work, since we're able to order them through the supply system, and DoD has determined that they are acceptable. I'll probably continue to pick up Lancers here and there, but PMAGs will remain my primaries.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Ever consider a Daniel Defense Mag?

https://danieldefense.com/dd-magazinetm.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been wanting to try the DD mag, but I never see them for sale in any stores, and I just haven't gotten around to adding one to an online order. Either the online stores I frequent don't carry them, or I'm watching my spending and don't want to pay full price for one from the stores that do. I usually pick up a new type of magazine at a shop where I can just grab one for testing without paying for shipping. I literally have never seen one of the DD mags for sale in the stores I've visited in VA and TX since they were released.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#49]
My first pick is the Lancer mags. I have 4 20rnd L5 mags.  They are made very well and the metal feed lips imo ensure a long sercice life. I have a few of each M2 and M3 30rnd mags and they are great and never had any issues with them. All are gtg.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Used to use PMAGs, have switched to Lancers. Feed lips weakening when left loaded a long time is a thing. I have no doubt new PMAGs are amazing, but I've had some long-loaded mags vomit rounds when dropped.
View Quote
Really?

Didn't know that was an issue with Pmags?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top