Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2017 12:17:39 PM EDT
I'm posting here instead of the California forum, because I can get more info from people on the east coast...

I'm trying to make 10 rounders to ship back into Cali. My friend told me his LGS has a bunch of 20 rounders for 6$ used.

I'm flying into Seattle in a month, and want to make some blocked USGI 10/20 and 10/30s. I'm trying to find a cheap way to make these without the use of a drill. I saw a instructables on using a bic pen to block it off here, however that only works with Pmags. What's a cheap and easy way to fix USGI mags?

I've come up with an idea, but want to see if others can chime in about it.
I have an ASC Steel 10/20. They make indents on the mag to prevent the follower from falling lower than 10 rounds.
Attachment Attached File

I was playing around, and saw that I could shove a Hexmag follower in there, and it would function fine, except only hold 9, because this orange part shown in the picture is sticking out a bit. I assume if I shave it, and epoxy the base plate on, it would be perfectly fine.
Attachment Attached File

Can someone see if the followers in a hexmag are the same length as magpul anti tilt followers? The magpul ones are a lot cheaper
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I limited a metal magazine's capacity by drilling a 1/8" hole in the front-center of the magazine body and installing a 1/8" long aluminum pop rivet. Easy to remove later with the same 1/8" drill bit to return to original capacity. Dunno if this could get you to 10 rounds though... you will have to measure the mag and determine where the outside flange of the pop rivet would end up, and whether it would prevent insertion into the mag well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I'm missing something, but you know Seattle isn't in CA, right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What do you mean? I'm flying into Seattle, Washington...?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.  So why are you trying to make 10-rounders to go to Washington state with?  Washington state does not have a 10-round limit, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Exactly.  So why are you trying to make 10-rounders to go to Washington state with?  Washington state does not have a 10-round limit, as far as I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 I'm confused as hell. Last I heard WA was still standard cap mag legal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm flying into Seattle in a month,
View Quote

wut???
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry should've meant that I'm planning on shipping them back to me. My friend up there said that his LGS sells 20 rounders for 6$ used.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry should've meant that I'm planning on shipping them back to me. My friend up there said that his LGS sells 20 rounders for 6$ used.
View Quote
Some of the confusion would have been eliminated if we knew exactly where YOU are since you left if off of your profile.  Are you in CA?

IMO, neutering a perfectly good standard cap mag to 10-rounds is almost as stupid as the law itself

Honestly -- for all the trouble and aggravation of converting, you might as well just buy some 10-rounders for your needs.  They're not that much more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh.. Who has 20 rounders for $6?
I have a new A1 clone that needs friends.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Not so good at the detail thing, but I think he's saying he wants to buy 20 rounders in WA then modify them to 10 rounds to take them back to CA. Lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some of the confusion would have been eliminated if we knew exactly where YOU are since you left if off of your profile.  Are you in CA?

IMO, neutering a perfectly good standard cap mag to 10-rounds is almost as stupid as the law itself

Honestly -- for all the trouble and aggravation of converting, you might as well just buy some 10-rounders for your needs.  They're not that much more.
View Quote
My friend showed me a pic of the mags. They were standard 20 rounders, but the finish was beat to hell and scratched an had no finish left. I was going to see if I could block them and just rattle canned them black. For six dollars a mag that's pretty damn cheap. ASCs 10/20s are 18 each.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]
That makes more sense.  Almost doubles your price, but you could do something like this:  http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks/10-round-ar15-limiters/usgi-mcl-10-20-block.html

Still unsure if you're in CA, but check out calguns.net - thats a treasure trove of CA gun knowledge that will have all the mag blocking knowledge you could ever ask for.  I moved out of that god-forsaken state a couple years ago, but I do recall something in the language of the law about standard-cap mags blocked to 10rds having to be "permanently modified" - with no explanation of what that actually means.  Not up to speed on the latest though, so do your homework.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My friend showed me a pic of the mags. They were standard 20 rounders, but the finish was beat to hell and scratched an had no finish left. I was going to see if I could block them and just rattle canned them black. For six dollars a mag that's pretty damn cheap. ASCs 10/20s are 18 each.
View Quote
Hey man -- if you wanna spend your time neutering mags, well, 'murica, God bless, and all that.   Have at it.  It might be a fun little project if you've got time on your hands.  To me, personally, time IS money.  If I needed a 10-rounder, I'd just buy a 10-rounder pmag for $13.   Sure, that's more than twice your cost...but by the time you get done blocking and painting, what's your time worth?   Also, neutering mags would make me feel 'dirty'

Do you want the 20's because you need more to grab on to?  Just like the look?  A 10-rounder might be harder to pull out of a deep pouch or chest rig, but they do weigh less.

The last set of regs we saw in CA, that were pulled back, did say that the mods had to be permanent.  Since we don't have any current regs to point to, who knows.  But we do expect new regs soon as the deadline is upon us.

That being said, if there is some reason you don't want to drill / rivet...then the dimple method seems pretty good to me as long as it's not compromising reliability.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Still want to neuter those mags?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Still want to neuter those mags?
View Quote
I honestly don't know now. With the FPC starting to do a lot of stuff, we might be able to get some high caps soon.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#17]
If you had to make them 10 rd.rs then take a Thread all rod, 1/4" should do, drill a hole in the bottom plate and Install with a nut on the inside and one on the outside for Jam Nuts and only as long as needed to hold 10 rounds. That should do.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you had to make them 10 rd.rs then take a Thread all rod, 1/4" should do, drill a hole in the bottom plate and Install with a nut on the inside and one on the outside for Jam Nuts and only as long as needed to hold 10 rounds. That should do.
View Quote
How do you slide the base on with the rod sticking up?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top