Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2017 8:01:30 PM EDT
I know this has been discussed here, but searching for "best drum magazine" found nothing.

Oh well, there's new goodies hitting shelves all the time, and we're about half way through 2017.

Who makes the best AR-15 drum magazine?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Armatac

You can still get an all aluminum one if you pay a premium too
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I still like my ChiCom drums. Too bad they are too valuable to actually use.

I have one of the Korean drums but have never tried it.

The MWG snail drums are nice, but they are a load and shoot on the spot sort of thing.

No way I am buying a skeletonized drum.

Magpul is cheaper and has been 100% so far for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Magpul.  Only 60 round or higher magazine I've ever used that is actually reliable
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Armatac

You can still get an all aluminum one if you pay a premium too
View Quote
That's really cool, but I wonder if it actually lasts longer than the polymer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If only magpul would make a 90 or 100rd
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used Beta's(.223 & 9mm) and a Magpul D60 and both worked 100% for me. IMO the Magpul should take more abuse but the Beta's are my choice as for me at least they are much easier to load.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magpul.  Only 60 round or higher magazine I've ever used that is actually reliable
View Quote
Same with me. The Magpul 60 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
well made and have had no issues with them
I also have a MWG 90rd from the late 80's? and its still working but I baby it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
D-mag seems to be the logical choice to me.  The snail mags look retarded and unwieldy, x-products are 10 less rounds for more money, 100 round dual drums are stupid expensive and/or have reputation for not being reliable.  Also more awkward.  I have a D-mag and a korean dual drum.  Can only load 99 in the 'beta', have not fired from either yet.

Armatac one looks interesting, but no way in FUCK am I paying $440 for a magazine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Never had any issues with BETA magazines.
I don't believe they are as fragile as some people claim they are, have witnessed one accidentally drop and stepped on clear back cover cracked magazine continued to function fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never had any issues with BETA magazines.
I don't believe they are as fragile as some people claim they are, have witnessed one accidentally drop and stepped on clear back cover cracked magazine continued to function fine.
View Quote
In the early days of the Global War on terror, the Army sent a bunch of Beta mags to Afghanistan, along with a team of observers, to evaluate their performance in a combat theater. The evaluation wasn't very positive.

Link to article about the evaluation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an Armatac drum, two D-60's, and an X products drum.   I like them all and don't regret buying the Armatac.
The D-60's are hard to beat for the money and are the best value IMO.   They are cool, but not 150rnds cool like the Armatac.
My semi "SAW" is close to 20lbs with it loaded.   It's a good weight though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an Armatac drum, two D-60's, and an X products drum.   I like them all and don't regret buying the Armatac.
The D-60's are hard to beat for the money and are the best value IMO.   They are cool, but not 150rnds cool like the Armatac.
My semi "SAW" is close to 20lbs with it loaded.   It's a good weight though.
View Quote
At least you know you can always make it lighter with the pull of a trigger LOL
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#14]
My first experience with the D60 was disappointing. I have two of them. Loaded them up and headed to the range. One jammed a bunch and the other one didn't function at all. I don't know why, but it had no spring pressure at all. I opened up the flap thing and dumped about a dozen rounds of by inverting it, the rest are just laying inside all misaligned and crap. Guess I'll have to take it apart to figure out wth is going on, but yeah, pretty horrible first impression. I guess they were getting dumped with PSA premium BCGs for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow!

That's the first report I've seen of problems with them.

I'd go over to Magpul's Industry Page and report this, I'll bet they send you an RMA paid.

They will make it right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first experience with the D60 was disappointing. I have two of them. Loaded them up and headed to the range. One jammed a bunch and the other one didn't function at all. I don't know why, but it had no spring pressure at all. I opened up the flap thing and dumped about a dozen rounds of by inverting it, the rest are just laying inside all misaligned and crap. Guess I'll have to take it apart to figure out wth is going on, but yeah, pretty horrible first impression. I guess they were getting dumped with PSA premium BCGs for a reason.
Wow!

That's the first report I've seen of problems with them.

I'd go over to Magpul's Industry Page and report this, I'll bet they send you an RMA paid.

They will make it right.
I've got a D60 that is catastrophically failed. Loaded it up and put it in my range bag.  Took it out and shells started shooting out, next thing I know it's jammed up and I can't do anything besides take it apart. I am not a take apart and all the pieces go back together guy so now it just sits. I'm sure it's my fault for not buying the $60 carry bag for it.  

As for the Beta's in Afghanistan not working, well that's a load of stupid. Beretta had to change their mag designs to work properly in that sand environment they have there. And Beretta had already done a Middle East trip yet that hell hole can screw up everything. Beta's work fine in America. The Koreans should too. It not that hard to reverse engineer stuff. Actually, with liability what it is, all magazines should work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe someone should tell that to ProMag
View Quote
I know. For the life of me I don't understand what is wrong with them.  I understand quality control gets a little sloppy during elections, but ProMag is plain scary.  And they sell a ton of them too. Probably the number one magazine producer if you think about it.  I wonder how many people they turned off of shooting?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#19]
No such thing as a piece of equipment that is designed by humans and mass produced by humans and abused by humans that has a perfect operational record. There are ALWAYS lemons. Sure, QC can catch a lot of these things before they leave the factory, but with something like a mag that they won't actually test with real ammo/guns before they ship, lemons gonna happen.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Berit & Jekbrown -- you guys ever get up with Magpul about your D60 issues?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
no, it's sitting on my kitchen table. I haven't even been able to get all the rounds out of it yet. Gonna have to pop it open, me thinks. I've been soooo busy with work and other stuff around the house I haven't got to it yet. Soon tho!
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
no, it's sitting on my kitchen table. I haven't even been able to get all the rounds out of it yet. Gonna have to pop it open, me thinks. I've been soooo busy with work and other stuff around the house I haven't got to it yet. Soon tho!
View Quote
There are very, very specific instructions online for disassembly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know. For the life of me I don't understand what is wrong with them.  I understand quality control gets a little sloppy during elections, but ProMag is plain scary.  And they sell a ton of them too. Probably the number one magazine producer if you think about it.  I wonder how many people they turned off of shooting?
View Quote
I don't understand what's wrong with the people that buy them... I won't buy anything other than gen 3 pmag.  I understand buying steel mags to get all retro, but for my "operational" use...  

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
The magpul drum works but is a total PITA to load.  I broke my beta drum trying to get it out of a Cav Arms lower.  Actually I broke both the lower and drum at the same time, both crap.

I know most people don't like them, but the Surefire 60 rd coffin mags work great for me and I also run them in an FNC MG.  I am sure my 20 something self would disagree, but now that I'm in my forties, I wouldn't bother with anything bigger than a 40rd mag if I didn't have an MG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought a D60 a couple months ago but have yet to be able to get the full 60 rounds in to it. First time I loaded it I got 59 in, the second time only 58. It performed perfectly while shooting. I've got it loaded right now with 58 rounds, just sitting in the safe and whenever I think about it I try for that last two rounds but I think I'd need a breaker bar to get them in.

Do they loosen up any with use?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
My single Magpul D60 has been 100%, and it fits in my Chinese drum pouches as well. My only concern is the latch being polymer, if it will eventually snap off as Im loading rounds into it. Despite being more difficult to load, I still find it superior to the garbage Surefire 60 I used to have.

Waiting for Magpul to make them in MCT!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
One of my surefire 60rd mags took a dump, at least with steel case.  follower would get stuck.  I took it apart and used silicone spray, only thing I had as I was visiting a friend's home, still jammed up.   I ran the D60 again with steel case, no issues in an FNC.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Berit & Jekbrown -- you guys ever get up with Magpul about your D60 issues?
View Quote
I had forgotten about this thread until today, when I got my D60 UN-Jammed!!!  I had it in a box of stuff and kept thinking I really need to contact Magpul and then would forget. Well, yesterday I was cleaning up and started shaking it.  A round came out!  Well of one did I figured more might. Used a screwdriver to straighten a few rounds so they would fall out.  Then I would stop, then played some more finally two rounds popped out together and no more rattle. The follower is at the lips where it should be too.  I want to shoot with it to check for problems then I'll come back and let you know.  I'm so happy right now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I have one Beta. Dont use it often but it's never failed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#31]
love the d60's/  have tried a few up in NH at a shoot.  pain in the ass to load all 60 rounds but if you read the instructions, and ratchet it, as they explain it can be done.  sore finger or thumb for sure!  but full auto mag dumps no problem.  have been told to support the bottom of the drum while in an m16 in f/a so it doesn't sit low to the gravitational weigh.  but ymmv and that may or may not be necessary.  never had a jam with the one I used.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have one Beta. Dont use it often but it's never failed.
View Quote
+1
along with a DPMS and Lancer (old style) Stick mags that hold 45+
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top