Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2017 8:24:52 PM EDT
A dealer near me has a whole box of USGI 30 round Aluminum magazines with Colt marked floor plates. He's asking $20 a pop. Seems pretty steep in the current market however, being that they are Colt marked makes me wonder if $20 might not be a bad deal? Opinions?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
buy OKAY brand mags and you have the same magazine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the going rate for new stock. ArmsUnlimited sells them all day every day at that price. They have a sale for the 20rd at $12 right now.

If no tax then I would get them if you want Colt mags. Or you can wait and see if AU puts the 30rd on sale.

ETA: sorry, 20rd is $20 normally and the 30rd is $25 normally. However, the 30rd is, in fact, on sale for $20 now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
At one time I tried to buy every Colt mag I could put my hands on...then I started reading, learning and using...found out when it comes to USGI mags, or let's say aluminum mags, OKay, NHMTG are really good to go.  I am really impressed with NHMTG mags, they are outstanding.  I have a pile of 30 round OKay mags from the late 1980s that I have rebuilt and they function as good as any.  I purchased these for $2 each, piled in a box at a local shop, bought the entire box, 40 or more, disassembled each one, new springs and followers...

Just my thoughts...

Like was said above, if yiu want Colt mags, then purchase, but there are as good as alternatives...

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...found out when it comes to USGI mags, or let's say aluminum mags, OKay, NHMTG are really good to go.  I am really impressed with NHMTG mags, they are outstanding.
View Quote
Colt, Okay, and NHMTG magazines are all produced in the same factory on the same assembly line. The only difference is what lettering the factory stamps on the magazine body and baseplate. I guess I should say "were produced," because the factory will no longer be stamping mags with NHMTG markings. They have discontinued that label since introducing the Okay Surefeed branding. NHMTG used to be the commercial label for the Okay mags that were produced for government contracts.

I can understand that people might like to have a Colt labeled magazine or two. I have some, but I usually just buy them when I find used ones mixed in a bin with other GI magazines at a show or surplus store. At big shows in recent years, I've seen lots of new ones for $15 sitting next to $10 Okay mags. I recall seeing a few websites selling them for $15 new also.  I wouldn't recommend paying more than $15 if you absolutely have to have them for the name.

Seems like this comes up about once a month here. It should definitely be in a FAQ somewhere (the pinned mag manufacturer brand thread should mention it, but if not, it should be added).
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy Okay mags on the EE @ $10 and shoot the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
buy OKAY brand mags and you have the same magazine.
View Quote
This.  And FWIW they work superbly IMHO. I also just run them with the green/mint followers and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
That's completely not worth it.

Buy Okay for $13 or just wait for a sale and get D&H Teflon coated for $7 or Pmags for $10
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
44 Mag is having a sale as we speak on Okays for $9.99 and free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's completely not worth it.

Buy Okay for $13 or just wait for a sale and get D&H Teflon coated for $7 or Pmags for $10
View Quote
I have a few 20 round Colt mags. I think I paid $15 max for them.
Most of 30 rounders are D&H or PMags.
Palmetto generally sells them a few times a year for $7. I buy a crap ton when they do.
My PMags I got in a Police supply store in Columbia for $9.99.
I bought  50 mags or so during the six months I lived in SC.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the advice. I knew Colt marked mags were worth a premium, I just didn't know how much of a premium. I was thinking more along the lines of investment purposes if the premium was significant. Sounds like they might draw a few more dollars, but not enough to justify $20. I already have quite a few Okay USGI and a few of the sure feeds and they are GTG. Lancers and Pmags still my Favorite however.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Several dozen available now from a seller on the EE @ $8 each +shipping. UNUSED 30s.
Colt branded.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top