Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
I know I'm late to the game, but here they are...

Attachment Attached File

The biggest surprise for me was that I could get a 16qt stainless stock pot at Walmart for $9.

I bought some of these sand mags at Midway since they were closing them out. 

Is Mapgul getting rid of Sand color?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked DSG why they were no longer listing Sand PMAGs, and they said that Magpul is discontinuing them. That's the first I had heard of it, but it may be coinciding with the release of their MCT mags. I have a feeling they haven't been selling that well because not many people are interested in the hassle of dying them. I've had a blast attempting to color match during two dying sessions to date, so I may stock up on another dozen or so if they start going for closeout prices. Looks like Midway already sold out of the 30-round Sand M3s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Primary Arms still has the Sand 30's for around $10.50 per.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Good to know.  I've thought about buying some sand .308 PMAGs to play with b/c I've kinda wanted a .308 AR for a while now, but idk if I'll actually bite.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I ask why?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can I ask why?
View Quote

Why what?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why what?
View Quote

Why dye the mags?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why dye the mags?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why what?

Why dye the mags?

Why not?

How?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
heres why  

" />
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
If anyone gets a sand 20rd Pmag to match Magpuls gray let me know :-)
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why not?

How?
View Quote
That was my next question. How? Are the results that different from painting?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

How?
Pretty sure the dye actually changes the surface of the plastic and won't scratch or rub off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuckin awesome. Any special procedure with the window?
@Jdchen0407
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The windows aren't affected in the dying process     to get the patterns  you want to dye them the lighter color first  then wrap with a shopping bag and rubber band the heck out of it  and kinda hold it down when it dyes.  the black only takes 3-4 mins

@cccpnyc
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Is Mapgul getting rid of Sand color?
View Quote

Yes. I was not a fan of sand and never bought any, but it is highly annoying that they took all the cool colors away...and replaced them all with 'sand'...and now they are taking sand away. So yeah, unless you like black or the wanna-be FDE of the week tone of brown, you're SOL or cerakoting I guess.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
They took all the traditional colors away for the Gen M3 Pmags for a reason; they're not as strong as black. That's why they came out with the sand color, which is the natural undyed color of the polymer and just as strong as black. Dying the FDE mags was already popular, so the sand allowed people to have any color they wanted and is a better base to dye with than FDE. The new medium coyote tan is the first color formula they've found that is a strong as black and the specific color was chosen because the Army requires it for all new small arms programs. I don't understand why people keep complaining about the sand mags; they're better because they allow you to have whatever color or pattern you can think of.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you mean "allowed", cause sand is going away. I've read the posts by Magpul talking about colors v. strength. At the same time, they made the other colors for years and I haven't noticed any more reports of colored mags failing than black ones. Magpul know their plastics, I'm sure they are right about which polymers are stronger, the question is: is the difference really all that significant in practical use?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If anyone is looking for Magpul sand colored mags, Wideners has them for $11.95

https://www.wideners.com/accessories/magazines-and-loaders/magpul-magazines#magazine-ar-m4-30rnd-gen-3-magpul-pmag-sand-1
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Love that orange one! Would be interested to know your recipe
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is another reason why, piss off the hippy libs with some cultural appropriation

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here is another reason why, piss off the hippy libs with some cultural appropriation

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18550/image-187808.JPG
View Quote
I like it!
Tell us how
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I like it!
Tell us how
View Quote
Sand color PMAG. Wrap in a plastic shopping bag and put a couple 1/4" thick rubber bands around it, making a few loops with each individual band. I used three with the twists not on top of each other. One at each end and one towards the middle. Soaked in yellow dye, pull it out and remove bag, rinse in cold water. Apply a new bag and rubber bands with the bands in a slightly different location. Put in blue dye with only about a third of the mag in the dye. Pull out, remove bag, rinse. A third bag and rubber bands, then put the opposite end in the orange dye.

I was going to leave it at that, but my daughter wanted to draw the peace sign on with a purple Sharpie.

I am not really a tie dye guy, but figured it stands out and would be easy to tell my mag from others. I have plenty of normal colors, but for range use I have a handful of colorful pmags to play with. I have a 40rd that is bright yellow. I need to find a Chiquita stencil to make it into a true banana-clipazine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#22]
What kind of dye?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
RIT Liquid

I used Lemon yellow, tangerine and aquamarine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/18550/image-187808.JPG
View Quote
Nicely done!  Pray tell how.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top