Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 4:13:35 PM EDT
This story has 2 morals:
First, Magpul's customer service is great.
Second, don't put your pmags in the dishwasher.

Ok.  So I traded a black window pmag for an fde window pmag (here on our very own EE) and the fde mag showed up pretty dingy and heavily discolored.  I thought I'll just clean it up a little before I throw it in the rotation, but not knowing what chemicals are safe for the pmag I called magpul's product support to ask.  I was prepared to be on hold for a while but Jessica picked up within about 30 seconds.  She said the best thing to clean a pmag was plain old soap and water, and I could even just put it in the dishwasher.  So I tried that.  I scrubbed with soap and water for a while and it got a little lighter but not much.  I decided to try the dishwasher like she said... the mag came out nice and clean FDE, but the window was white and cloudy so that I can't see through it any more.  At first I thought it was just steamy on the inside so I wiped it out but it was bone dry and still white and cloudy.  So I called magpul again and was quickly helped by Amanda who said it was probably build up from my dishwasher detergent and I could wipe it out with vinegar to make the window clear again.  I spent some time wiping out the inside with a vinegar soaked paper towel (pushed back and forth with a ruler) and that didn't help so I immersed it in a casserole dish of vinegar and let it soak for 15 minutes... still zero improvement.  So I called one more time and spoke to Amber (again waited less than 30 seconds to talk to an english speaking human), and she said they think it's strange and they had never had one cloud up from soap or dishwasher detergent before, but she gave me an RMA number so I could exchange it for a new one.  Unfortunately they no longer have any FDE mags in stock but that's not a big issue.  

I think this is the least amount of trouble I have ever gone through to be helped by a company who already had my money.  No waiting forever on hold, no language barrier, no arguing, just service.  

The only real reason I'm posting this is that I still don't really know why the window went cloudy, and maybe we can figure it out.  Or at least I can help someone avoid doing this to their mags.
Anybody have any idea how I ruined the window on this mag?  It went into the dishwasher clear and came out nearly opaque white.  It seems like the damage is on the inside surface, not the outside.

not as bad on this side
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had plastics do that, it was the heat of the water in the Dish Washer that changed the properties of the clear plastic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry I have nothing technical to add, but from this thread I have learned that there are a lot of potentially hot babes working at MAGPUL.

Pics of Jessica, Amber, and Amanda or it didn't happen.

Yes, I am aware this isn't GD
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I will have to check the windows in my GI mags.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I like GI mags too.  The window is what attracts me to the pmags, I think it's very handy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pics of Jessica, Amber, and Amanda or it didn't happen.
View Quote

Can't help you there.  Maybe you should submit a pic request in magpul's industry forum?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of abused windowed Emags..
I can try to do The same and see The result if you want

I dont really care about the window so not a big deal
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't do it for my sake.  But if you're curious then go right ahead.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like GI mags too.  The window is what attracts me to the pmags, I think it's very handy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Worth trying toothpaste? Like that stuff you polish a plastic headlight cover with?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't do it for my sake.  But if you're curious then go right ahead.
View Quote

Oh well I did it.
No problem with my windows

Did yours just changed color or looks cloudy due to micro scratches?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Imagine the detergent make up determines results along with temperature.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure there are numerous variables, and I don't know what the mag had been exposed to before I got it.  

As far as changing color vs micro scratches I don't really have a good answer.  It seemed to be just the surface on the inside of the mag body because when I pressed my finger against the outside of the window I could see that the depth of the window material was clear beneath my finger.  In other words there was clear space between my finger and the opaque damaged surface.  I hope that made sense.  If I had to guess I would say it was a texture change, as if it had been bead blasted with extra fine media.  

At any rate it's already on its way back to magpul and I'll have a new one.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top