Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2017 10:28:41 AM EDT
Building a side charging AR 7.62x39.  It seems the ASC and C products are about the only recommended mags that get high reviews.  But still, the reviews are all over the place.

Anyone with real experience with these AR 7.62x39  mags or others that work properly?

Also see that many still say to remove the peak in the barrel extension to make one large ramp.  Is this recommended?

Thanks for the opines!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't over think it. Get the C Products Defense mags and you should be fine. Stay away from the feedramp. CPD mags are good feeders which present the round 'high' on the ramp.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished a AR 7.62 build with Green Mountain barrel and it functions fine with the 20/30 round ASC magazines. I have two C Products Defense mags on order from LCJ Wholesale but they have not shown up this month (pun intended). Don't overthink it as others indicated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the PSA upper.

Before ordering mags, I read the C defense products were better than ASC in several places, ordered the CPDs from SGAmmo and have had no issues.

I haven't tried ASC mags.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm running CPDs in a PSA & Radical Firearms 7.62x39, both run fine with no mods.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I think a couple of upprs I built didn't even have m4 feedramp in the upper. No problem.

I bought ten CPD and ten asc mags when I first got into this. The batch of asc mags seem to have kind of a gummy finish on them or something. The rounds are very sluggish to come up the mag. With it loaded if I push down the top round and release I can say "one-one thousand" in the time it take the bullet to creep up to the feedramp. Btw, it wasn't week springs because it was so hard to load (friction!) that i had to push the top round down on  the corner of a table to get the next round in after about 20. needless to say every other round was a jam! CPD has been 100%.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it's that slick finish CPD uses, doesn't take a lot of drag to cause a tapered cartridge like 7.62x39 to nosedive & misfeed. Based on appearance it seems to hold up better with use than the Marlube on my ASC mags, which looks to be the same or similar to the dry finish on my GI straight 20s. CPDs also have pretty strong springs like the ones in my AK mags as well. All my ASCs eventually got upgraded to AK springs which dropped the capacity from 30 to 28 but they ran fully loaded.

And FWIW, I also shoot a few carbines in .45acp and I have both brass & steel case 45. Mags for one certain brand will feed brass case fine but steel case will drag and occasionally not feed. I've mic'd all the ammo, it's in spec, and a little dry lube on the steel case will allow it to feed fine by hand. Seems steel just doesn't feed as smoothly as brass cased ammo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think a couple of upprs I built didn't even have m4 feedramp in the upper. No problem.

I bought ten CPD and ten asc mags when I first got into this. The batch of asc mags seem to have kind of a gummy finish on them or something. The rounds are very sluggish to come up the mag. With it loaded if I push down the top round and release I can say "one-one thousand" in the time it take the bullet to creep up to the feedramp. Btw, it wasn't week springs because it was so hard to load (friction!) that i had to push the top round down on  the corner of a table to get the next round in after about 20. needless to say every other round was a jam! CPD has been 100%.
View Quote
My ASC 6.5 Grendel mags had a gummy substance on the mag spring and interior of the mag body.  I disassembled my ASC mags and cleaned the spring and interior body.  My ASC mags have since been gtg.   I read the gummy substance might be a preservative like cosmoline of WW II era but regardless the mags worked much better after I took them apart.

I had one 24 round ASC mag that failed to feed.  The feed lips were different than my other functional 24 round mags.  I bent the feed lips on bad mag to match good mags and it has functioned properly since the tweak to the feed lips.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing I will add that I read somewhere in my research is there were some older mags called C Products and the new ones are called C Products Defense.  The C P Defense mags are supposed to be better than the old ones.  If this is wrong, feel free to correct me.  I just finished my build with a Sanders Armory upper and an Aero lower.  I bought 2 10 round mags and 2 30 round mags.  I shot it for the first time yesterday by shooting five rounds out of each magazine and they all functioned fine.  I only shot 70 rounds and had 10 rounds not fire.  I ordered an enhanced firing pin and a Wollf extra power hammer spring this morning.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top