Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 1:36:39 PM EDT
Anyone have experience using these mags?  Worth $16 a piece (30rd)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people say they're better than PMAGs. I've had no problems with mine. You can usually find them cheaper, though. $13ish is usually avaliable, B****ch had them for $9.95 yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea $16's high
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of people say they're better than PMAGs. I've had no problems with mine. You can usually find them cheaper, though. $13ish is usually avaliable, B****ch had them for $9.95 yesterday.
View Quote

Tried to got 1 system says min. 6
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen 3 Pmags are better.  There is a reason the USMC will only be allowing Pmags for combat deployments.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gen 3 Pmags are better.  There is a reason the USMC will only be allowing Pmags for combat deployments.
View Quote
I'm not .mil, but I assume if you are, and your feed lips crack, they will just issue you a replacement.   The Lancers have metal feed lips and don't suffer the same fate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not .mil, but I assume if you are, and your feed lips crack, they will just issue you a replacement.   The Lancers have metal feed lips and don't suffer the same fate.
View Quote
My understanding is that feed lip cracking is pretty well solved in the gen 3 design - largely through a change of materials.

Enough abuse will kill any mag, abuse that would crack a gen 3 feed lip is likely to permanently bend an AWM feed lip.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was researching mags, I found this and it is quite convincing:
Lancer mags will get you killed is the title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tktaCwTQO8
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well that's enlightening.  And
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read somewhere that Lancer knows about this and did a recall. I'll research tomorrow to see if I can find that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I read somewhere that Lancer knows about this and did a recall. I'll research tomorrow to see if I can find that.
View Quote

Will be checking back for that.  Just bought 20 of them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:49:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The only recall I know of was back in 2015.. was for out of spec followers. Not sure if this is the same recall.

EDIT: I see the video is March 2016, so these mags that the guy has could very well have been from the bad batch, tho the problem mentioned was the bolt would not lock back. The video seems to be a different problem, but still could have been the same followers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting. Admittedly, I don't run my mags hard so if that is truly the case, then that's why I haven't seen it.

I did also find this, which I had never seen before: Lancer vs PMAG torture test
Not sure how often you will drop your gun like that, but it was interesting as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried to duplicate this claim. I am no ones fanboy so don't care but I wanted to see if this was an isolated case or typical.
I took a 30 round Opaque black L5AWM with 30 rounds of Speer 64gr Police ammo and dropped it from 5 feet onto a solid tile floor. A couple rounds popped out but no damage.

I removed all the ammo and one round was dented at the shoulder so it was a hard impact.
I wanted to check the follower which was fine.

I then loaded ten rounds as the link stated and again dropped it from 5 feet which would be higher than I would drop an empty mag for reload and the tile is as hard a surface as I could ever drop unto.
Most of the rounds popped out, 7 but there was no damage to any round nor any damage to the Lancer mag.

My test was not scientific but based on the claim these will get you killed I did a harder test without the negative results and will continue to use Lancer AWM.

I should add I primarily use Magpul G3 mags but I like Lancers as using a different mag for certain ammo allows for easy identification.

Whatever make you feel good
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like the lancers, after switching over to them when I broke 2 M3pmags in a 2 week span. So far no issues with the Lancers other than the baseplates get chewed up from the gravel at my range but they are still %100 functional.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Details on your gen 3 pmag failures?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, according to Gunner Wade about 3 weeks ago (before his thread got deleted for no apparent reason by staff), it's because the M27's chamber doesn't like the enhanced USGI mags' high presentation of the rounds. Not sure if that's just M855A1s or all rounds. He said they tend to smack into the top of the chamber and jam up. I'm not familiar with 416 internals so I'll take his word for it, but apparently where it's tapered on an M4/M16 and thus that presents no issue, the 416/M27 has more of a wall up there which the rounds will hang on. PMAGs don't have that issue and feed properly from the M27 IAR, so they're available for purchase and use on a per unit basis, per said thread.

As for Lancers... yeah, I gave them a thorough checking out due to people talking them up on here. Including throwing $50 at beating the hell out of an L5 and an L7 myself to see how they'd do (L7s are 'spensive) and trying them out with a bunch of different ammo. Let's just say I was impressed enough that I divested myself of my PMAGs (except the factory one that goes with my 901) and have converted to Lancers. GREAT magazines.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Details on your gen 3 pmag failures?
View Quote

Dropped a almost empty (5-8 rounds left) during a 3gun on rocky terrain and stepped on it advancing to the next shooting box, cracked down the side near the floorplate.

Used a brand new one in my 1970's Colt SP1 and a chunk of the front lip broke off. Not sure if it was because of the gun or defect in the mag but I havent had problems with any other mag in that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dropped a almost empty (5-8 rounds left) during a 3gun on rocky terrain and stepped on it advancing to the next shooting box, cracked down the side near the floorplate.

Used a brand new one in my 1970's Colt SP1 and a chunk of the front lip broke off. Not sure if it was because of the gun or defect in the mag but I havent had problems with any other mag in that rifle.
View Quote

Also had a crack here after losing hold of a partially loaded .308 PMAG 25. Fell a few feet on its spine on a hard surface. Small crack, ejected a couple rounds. Doing a bunch of Googling afterwards, turned up a lot of threads on this site and elsewhere. That seems to be far more common than you would think. Meh. That one would never drop free either.

Say what you like, but neither my D&H aluminums, nor my D&H steels ever did that when dropped, and I intentionally dropped two of the Lancers I bought multiple times at various loads on concrete just to give myself some peace of mind, and they also didn't have any problems. Nothing bent, just cosmetic scuffs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Seem better made than pmags
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot exclusively Lancer mags (primarily because of the relationship with my employer), but haven't had a mag related issue to date, with any of mine.  I've only been using them exclusively for about 10 months, though.

I've used everything from standard USGI (every colored follower imaginable) to Gen1-Gen3 PMAGs, Lancer, etc.  Like mentioned above, enough abuse will kill any mag.  However, in the video mentioned above, I believe he received/had mags with the recalled follower (as also mentioned above).  

I'm not a fanboy either.  I own Gen1-Gen3 PMAGs and USGI mags, as well.  But, I do trust my AWM mags.  I probably had 50k+ rounds through Lancer mags last year (556, 762 and MPX 9mm) and as mentioned, didn't have a single mag related issue.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL I would have expected you to shoot exclusively with PMags based on your avatar picture. This is the Recon Jack I drew for my unit's official logo (ACo 3rd Recon-Hawaii) back in 1990.

It is the basis for the Magpul 10th anniversary skull design. It stayed the official logo for several years until Alpha Company was deployed back to Okinawa with the rest of the Btn.
View Quote

- hey, I didn't say I had a hand in any of the relationships.  Though, we still ship a lot of your mags with complete rifles, go figure.  

BTW - I've always loved the Recon Jack.  Was briefly attached in 04-05ish.  Solid dudes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Enough abuse will kill any mag, abuse that would crack a gen 3 feed lip is likely to permanently bend an AWM feed lip.
View Quote

If there is a case of a lancer feed lip bending please post a photo.  I'm trying to find an example of a Lancer breaking or being damaged so that it is not able to be used (from actual use, not from being shot with a .50 cal or hit with a sledgehammer).  So far no luck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Only thing I don't like about Lancer's is if your rough with inserting them on a open bolt the rounds pop out.  Is this normal? I think aug mags do it too.  With pmag m3s If inserting on a closed bolt(even with 28 rounds) I sometimes have issues with them not seating unless overly rough.  So I chose Lancer's, on a closed bolt with 28 rounds they seat fine with normal force. I just try to remember not to seat them rough on an open bolt though I can't really think of when realistically I'd be doing that (being excessively rough on open bolt).
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer Gen2 Pmags but have a handful of AWMs for my hunting ammo vs. plinking.  I like them but find the rattle in my magwell more than I like
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 6 L5AWMS - 2 each in black, FDE, and OD green - none will seat on a closed bolt with more than 27 rounds.
Check out ETS Group 30-round magazines.  Those suckers are TOUGH, and will seat easily on a closed bolt with 30 rounds loaded.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Get both. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I like Lancers. I also like Pmags. I actually prefer running Troy Battle mags. The reloads are incredibly fast for me because the insert portion is thinner and less busy so it tends to have less interference in insertion...i.e.faster more consistently. The one thing I don't like about Lancers is I've noticed I struggle to use an striplula to load them. Always end up with a couple bullets tipping up and messing up the mag so I have to reload them without it. Something with the way the metal feed lips are during push down. Don't have problems with usgi either. In fact, I just like ar15 mags and don't really discriminate as long as they work.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Only thing I don't like about Lancer's is if your rough with inserting them on a open bolt the rounds pop out.  Is this normal?
View Quote

Haven't had that happen with any of my AR mags; not D&H aluminums, PMAGs, or L5 AWMs in .223, and not KAC steel, D&H steel, PMAGs, or L7 AWMs in .308.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like Lancers. I also like Pmags. I actually prefer running Troy Battle mags. The reloads are incredibly fast for me because the insert portion is thinner and less busy so it tends to have less interference in insertion...i.e.faster more consistently. The one thing I don't like about Lancers is I've noticed I struggle to use an striplula to load them. Always end up with a couple bullets tipping up and messing up the mag so I have to reload them without it. Something with the way the metal feed lips are during push down. Don't have problems with usgi either. In fact, I just like ar15 mags and don't really discriminate as long as they work.
View Quote

That is easy to fix, get a 5.56 LULA instead:

AR-15 LULA
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I still have around 25 windowed unopened PMAGs but I only use my translucent Lancers now.

Very much like the L5 AWM Lancers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
You guys with the Lancers that are having problems seating a mag on a closed bolt.  Lancer showed a few years ago that they have a tab internally on the floor plate to restrict the mag to 30rds (per mil req stating no more or less than 30rds).  Lancer said that there is no problem sanding the tab down if needed.  Im now able to get around 32 or so rounds in on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You guys with the Lancers that are having problems seating a mag on a closed bolt.  Lancer showed a few years ago that they have a tab internally on the floor plate to restrict the mag to 30rds (per mil req stating no more or less than 30rds).  Lancer said that there is no problem sanding the tab down if needed.  Im now able to get around 32 or so rounds in on a closed bolt.
View Quote

Never had an issue like that, never had any issue at all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I switched to Lancers 4 years ago, and I've never had a problem. I had some problems with Gen 2 Pmags and decided to switch to Lancers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I haven't found anything better than Lancer mags.  If I ever have any issues with my Lancer mags, they will take care of it quickly as I'm 30 minutes from Lancer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I have over 50 Lancers put back for 'serious use', all were tested several times first, all were 100% even when inserting a loaded mag w/a closed bolt.
However (and this may be a non-concern), I use Gen2 Pmags for training so the Lancer's steel feedlips don't wear on my aluminum magwells during reloads. All my Gen2 Pmags have been 100% as well.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have over 50 Lancers put back for 'serious use', all were tested several times first, all were 100% even when inserting a loaded mag w/a closed bolt.
However (and this may be a non-concern), I use Gen2 Pmags for training so the Lancer's steel feedlips don't wear on my aluminum magwells during reloads. All my Gen2 Pmags have been 100% as well.

Tomac
View Quote

Never heard of magwell wear being an issue. Doesn't the USAF still have lowers in inventory built back in the 60s that work just fine mated to new manufacture uppers? At least they did about a decade or so ago anyway.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tomac
View Quote

Steel feedlips don't wear aluminum magwells any more than steel bolt carriers wear aluminum uppers.  So every time you insert and remove the magazine once (assuming it is fully loaded) the bolt carrier goes back and forth quite rapidly and forcefully 30 times.  There are plenty of 50+ year old M16s in the military with the original lowers, uppers, and bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I like Lancers, I just don't have many of them. I have a metric ton of pmags, as well as a few hexmags and D&H. They all work for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never heard of magwell wear being an issue. Doesn't the USAF still have lowers in inventory built back in the 60s that work just fine mated to new manufacture uppers? At least they did about a decade or so ago anyway.
View Quote

Neither have I. However, USGI feedlips are aluminum, Pmag feedlips are polymer. Lancer feedlips are steel.
During fast reloads, the mag rarely goes into the magwell at the perfect angle to slide right in. I would rather have aluminum wearing against aluminum or polymer wearing against aluminum than steel wearing against aluminum (YMMV).

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Steel feedlips don't wear aluminum magwells any more than steel bolt carriers wear aluminum uppers.  So every time you insert and remove the magazine once (assuming it is fully loaded) the bolt carrier goes back and forth quite rapidly and forcefully 30 times.  There are plenty of 50+ year old M16s in the military with the original lowers, uppers, and bolt carriers.
View Quote

Early piston conversions caused bcg tilt which did wear against the upper receiver, so that's true only as long as the bcg is moving smoothly and parallel to the upper receiver.
I would agree w/you if mags always inserted at the perfect angle to slide in smoothly and parallel to the magwell w/o any tilt, but I'm not capable of robotic precision when it comes to reloads so steel wearing against aluminum will cause more impact/friction wear than polymer wearing against aluminum.
I don't claim this can lead to catastrophic wear, but I prefer to avoid unnecessary wear when possible (YMMV).

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Neither have I. However, USGI feedlips are aluminum, Pmag feedlips are polymer. Lancer feedlips are steel.
During fast reloads, the mag rarely goes into the magwell at the perfect angle to slide right in. I would rather have aluminum wearing against aluminum or polymer wearing against aluminum than steel wearing against aluminum (YMMV).

Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

FWIW, my aluminum .308 lower has seen somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 steel feed-lipped L7 AWM insertions and it doesn't even so much as have a scratch on the finish inside the magwell yet.

I do use Tuf-Glide dry lube on my magwells and all my mags though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife's lower also has had that many,  maybe more but it's still like new.  Lancers #1 for me although I have others.  I'll tell her about Tuf Glide.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I suspect its like the M855A1 discussion where you would need thousands , perhaps tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of cycles before you could measure or detect  a change.  But if it Is a concern there are plenty of good polymer and aluminum magazines to choose from.  Maybe Lancer can chime in.  I've never heard of a magwell wearing out from inserting and removing magazines.  I've never heard of a floorplate or follower wearing out either but I have heard it discussed many times.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top