Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2016 8:49:02 PM EDT
I've got about a dozen Okay 30 rounders from 10-15 years ago? Never used them, but they have the green followers, what modern replacements should I get?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul anti tilt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's one place to look.
https://dsgarms.com/kt-mag111de-10
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Different colors are the same follower?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Bright yellow Magpul followers are the ticket.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's one place to look.
https://dsgarms.com/kt-mag111de-10
View Quote

That's a really good deal an what is probably the best follower available.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got about a dozen Okay 30 rounders from 10-15 years ago? Never used them, but they have the green followers, what modern replacements should I get?
View Quote
Honestly, unless you have noticed a problem or they are the only mags you have, none.  Just run them the way they are.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bright yellow Magpul followers are the ticket.
View Quote

Yeah, these are my favorite. Great for checking the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I run both the Magpul anti tilt and the green followers with no issues.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Magpul gen 3 followers. DSG  has these fde colored ones-https://dsgarms.com/kt-mag111de-10 or you can buy the ranger green version in a 3-pk.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got three 10-packs of the FDE Magpul followers from DSG in the mail yesterday. I caught them when they were on sale for $7.20 per 10-pack - awesome deal. I can confirm that they are identical to the foliage green Gen 3 followers. They're also a very close color match to the FDE Ranger plates, if anyone cares about that (I think they look slightly different because of the texture of the slick plastic vs. rubber). I use FDE to distinguish magazines for defensive rounds like Gold Dots from regular training ammo (M193, M855 in OD green mags), so these will come in handy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
These FDE Magpul-followers from DSG appear to be exactly the same Gen 3 USGI Magpul followers that were previously sold in the yellow and foliage-colors.  I purchased a few D&H/DSG-logo'd magazines a few years ago with these exact-same FDE followers and checked and compared them to the Gen 3 yellow and foliage-followers at the time.  Exactly the same, down to the mold-number and the script on the bottom of the follower.  They fit and work just as flawlessly as the others.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I would just shoot them to see if they are going to cause any problems, I would guess probably not, but I only replace stuff if I have tried it and noticed a problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Honestly, unless you have noticed a problem or they are the only mags you have, none.  Just run them the way they are.
View Quote

^
+1
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Run them a few times and see if it jams. If not just call it good and keep going. Too many people get too wrapped up in being a gear whore that it never occurs to them to try running what they actually have.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are 3 different colors of followers on USGI mags. Black, green, and tan. All 3 are different generations of design. The current follower is tan and is anti-tilt. current army policy is:
Black follower- destroy
Green follower- authorized for CONUS training use only (use until malfunction and then destroy)
Tan follower - authorized for all activities

Either get some usgi tan followers, or get the magpul anti-tilt followers (they're the same thing)
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are 3 different colors of followers on USGI mags. Black, green, and tan. All 3 are different generations of design. The current follower is tan and is anti-tilt. current army policy is:
Black follower- destroy
Green follower- authorized for CONUS training use only (use until malfunction and then destroy)
Tan follower - authorized for all activities

Either get some usgi tan followers, or get the magpul anti-tilt followers (they're the same thing)
View Quote

Do you destroy the whole magazine or just the follower??

We had lots of green follower mags in Afghanistan 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Tan follower uses a different magazine spring (it attaches to the follower in a different location)
View Quote

The spring "locks" onto the follower making it more "anti-tilt"
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Run them a few times and see if it jams. If not just call it good and keep going. Too many people get too wrapped up in being a gear whore that it never occurs to them to try running what they actually have.
View Quote

Back when I was new to this forum in the early 2000s most of the posts were about how great the new green followers were and you just HAD to have them.  Then something better came along and in a few short years green followers went from "must have" to "junk that will get you killed".  Lots of fads in this forum.  But I guess if you only have the old stuff there is nothing to talk about and nothing to sell.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you destroy the whole magazine or just the follower??

We had lots of green follower mags in Afghanistan 2 years ago.
View Quote
whole magazine. Replace with a new one. Magazine maintainece isn't a thing anymore. Not since a few years into GWOT

"Destroy" is taken more literally in some commands more so than others. Endstate is the magazine is nolonger in rotation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't change them, unless you have a problem.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
whole magazine. Replace with a new one. Magazine maintainece isn't a thing anymore. Not since a few years into GWOT
View Quote

Makes sense.  Actually according to regulations service members are not authorized to disassemble magazines.  Someone here made the argument a few years ago that the new followers would cause all sorts of confusion because the new follower isn't compatible with the new spring but of course that didn't happen.......
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top