Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 5:38:11 PM EDT
ok, so I am building a Hog buster in 7.62x39...

just thought I would run it the couple of Grendel mags I have on hand (only have 3 on deck ) until I find a good source to get some designated 7.62x39 mags...

does anybody know of any manufacture that is producing polymer mags for the 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel for that matter...???

I read somewhere a while back that 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39's can be used on either or / vice versa..

I really like the polymer mags... and I would love it if I could use them on the 7.62x39 or my Grendel for that matter...

I don't run 30 rounders on my "hunting" rifle anyhow so a 10 to 15 rounder is ok for me...  hell I usually shoot my 5 rounder out of my Grendel the most anyway...  but this 5 rounder is about the same size as a 10 round 5.56 mag...

has anybody successfully modified any polymer mags to shoot 7.62x39...?????
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have C Products mags for my 7.62x39 AR, they are aluminum though. I tried ASC but I could rarely get thru a full 30 rounds without some kind of magazine failure.

C Products Mags
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not been on the forum for some time, but recently I converted an extra Grendel upper to 7.62x39 just so I could shoot cheaper.
Magazines have been a problem, but today I discovered something.
I think most people know the major problem with 7.62x39 in a standard AR15 lower is the straight shank of the magazine.
The cartridge does not stack well once you get more than 6 or 7 rounds in the mag.  
There is no support for the top round at the shoulder area, and the more rounds you put in, the worse it gets until nosedive locks up the works.
AK47 mags are curved drastically, and that solves the majority of the problems.
Everyone thinks the curve is the whole problem, but it is not.
The follower is the problem as well.
Most of the mags designed today for AR15s have anti-tilt followers, and that works well if the round is not sharply tapered.
However, the 7.62x39 is sharply tapered.  
As the rounds are pressed into the straight mag, the anti-tilt follower wants to tilt so it can support the shoulder of the round, but cannot tilt enough.
So I just remove the follower and cut the anti-tilt legs off.  That is remove all but 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of it.
Then when the rounds are pressed into the mag the follower will tilt to support the shoulder as well as the base.
The lower rounds support the upper rounds, and the stripping round does not nosedive.
This turns a 10 round into a 12 round mag.
I still have to try this with a 17 round Grendel mag.
I also found that the 30 round DH Tactical mag works Ok, and it also has a TILTING follower.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have C Products mags for my 7.62x39 AR, they are aluminum though. I tried ASC but I could rarely get thru a full 30 rounds without some kind of magazine failure.

C Products Mags
View Quote

That's been my experience as well.   A couple years ago Faxon Firearms actually worked with C Products to make a better mag (for the ARAK but AR-15s benefited as well) and the new ones that I have are problem free.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The new C-Products x39 mags worked great right out of the plastic for me.  The Stoner, ASC, and C-Products mags I bought 2 years ago required some modification with a dremel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
We all realize that ASC c-prod, stoner, bushmaster, and all that is the same shitbag Panka family right?!?

I have some 20 round c product 20's and like them.   But that family and their shenanigans is comical.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
ASC mags and CPD mags are not the same.
Different springs, different mag bodies, different followers.
GENIII CPD's are excellent mags.
I have and use GenIIICPD 20's and 30's.
My ASC mags are harder to load and follower drags way more and is sluggish to feed up by hand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My ASC mags are harder to load and follower drags way more and is sluggish to feed up by hand.
View Quote

Sure thing sunshine.  Are you calling c product "cpd"?    Sorry but you are wrong.   Shit bag Pankas got a portion of their machines after losing them in litigation to the coating people.   They moved to Florida, and became ASC.   Think what you will those are the facts as they were.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I am saying the ASC AND CPD mags that I have purchased in the last year are not physically the same.
They are stamped/pressed differently, welded differently, have different followers and function differently.

Yes, I am saying they are not the same
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your suggestion. I always have the nose dive issue with my x39 AR magazines. It is hard to load the rounds and the follower seems to stick at the middle of the magazine near the heavily curve section very often after I loaded about 7 rounds. I just took my CPD 10 rds, ASC 20 rds and ASC 30 rds apart and cut about .35 inch off those anti-tilt follower front & rear legs. I am now can load the rounds  into the magazine easier. The best part is that I'm no longer have the nose dive issue and the follower move up & down freely. Allowing the follower rear to tilt make the big difference.

Thanks!!!

Quoted:
I have not been on the forum for some time, but recently I converted an extra Grendel upper to 7.62x39 just so I could shoot cheaper.
Magazines have been a problem, but today I discovered something.
I think most people know the major problem with 7.62x39 in a standard AR15 lower is the straight shank of the magazine.
The cartridge does not stack well once you get more than 6 or 7 rounds in the mag.  
There is no support for the top round at the shoulder area, and the more rounds you put in, the worse it gets until nosedive locks up the works.
AK47 mags are curved drastically, and that solves the majority of the problems.
Everyone thinks the curve is the whole problem, but it is not.
The follower is the problem as well.
Most of the mags designed today for AR15s have anti-tilt followers, and that works well if the round is not sharply tapered.
However, the 7.62x39 is sharply tapered.  
As the rounds are pressed into the straight mag, the anti-tilt follower wants to tilt so it can support the shoulder of the round, but cannot tilt enough.
So I just remove the follower and cut the anti-tilt legs off.  That is remove all but 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of it.
Then when the rounds are pressed into the mag the follower will tilt to support the shoulder as well as the base.
The lower rounds support the upper rounds, and the stripping round does not nosedive.
This turns a 10 round into a 12 round mag.
I still have to try this with a 17 round Grendel mag.
I also found that the 30 round DH Tactical mag works Ok, and it also has a TILTING follower.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm using a Unimag from RXE. They are supposed to feed 5 different caliber from one mag. I've fired 30rds of 5.56 and 7.62x39 from the same nag with zero failures to feed. Kinda pricey but they have an two piece articulating follower so the mag has a curve similar to a standard 5.56 mag, not the exaggerated curve of the ASC/CPD mags. They fit in standard AR mag pouches.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I just purchased (2) 30 round ASC mags from Fatboy tactical and ran them in my 7.62 build. They ran perfect...very happy ;)
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#12]
A vendor sued C Products and won. Took the assets and became ASC. In New Britain CT.

The former C Products owners went to Florida and are producing great x39 AR mags under the name C Products Defense. In Bradenton FL.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am saying the ASC AND CPD mags that I have purchased in the last year are not physically the same.
They are stamped/pressed differently, welded differently, have different followers and function differently.

Yes, I am saying they are not the same
View Quote
Yes, two different companies. 
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The new C-Products x39 mags worked great right out of the plastic for me.  The Stoner, ASC, and C-Products mags I bought 2 years ago required some modification with a dremel.
View Quote

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the mag lips and follower of each, side by side.  

Someone said CP mags were aluminum.  All of mine are steel.  

I got my last batch (I have had each iteration) before CP went out of business or sold, or whatever happened.  Even that batch I had to cull 50% and send them back.  The remaining ones were problem free until recently when one started the typical nose dive.  I went to the popular mod thread and cut the front and cleaned up the feed lips more.  Still nose diving on the one mag.  It is currently in my junk bin, but the post about cutting down the followers will be the next thing I try.  All of my mags have extra power Wolf AK47 springs in them and have the feed lips cleaned up.  

The fucked thing about all of this is that DPMS used to selll a frankenmag.  It was a straight wall AR15 mag that was as long as the AR magwell, and an AK47 mag was tig welded to the base of that.  I have only two of these, and they have run like gangbusters with no mods.  Another company used to make these too, but they are out of business.  

Why doesn't someone start making the frankenmag again?  

Someone also said the current CP mags run great.  Where are you buying those?  I would only buy from someone with a good return policy, because of how many I have sent back.  I also sent back all of my CP AR15 .223 mags because they were pure garbage.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My original CProducts 6.5 Grendel mags are stainless steel with a shiney black finish.  My ASC 6.5 Grendel mags are stainless steel with a matte black finish.  I've had one ASC 24 mag that was causing failure to feed from the left side.  I compared the feed lips to a good mag and adjusted the bad mag lip to match the good mags.  That fixed the bad mag and has since been gtg.   I haven't bought and of the X39 CPD or ASC mags.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The franken mags had a SKS bottom not an AK bottom. I replaced the springs in mine with AK47 mag springs and they ran much better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly my experience. I bought 10 ASCs and they were almost impossible to even load because of the friction and I can literally pop out the top round, or push it down and count one-one thousand in the time it takes to creep up to the top. Every other or every round jammed! Sucks ass big time! My cpds function about 99%.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top