Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 12:09:54 AM EDT
I have a dozen pre bans that are nothing special to me. They should go to a brother that needs them. What's States behind the lines allow pre ban mags or repair parts ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe only Massachusetts @ this time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagscription as I'm in the same boat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Ma.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
IM sent, ty
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
We can have them!

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I would be in for some! Check your emails
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
New Jersey can have pre-ban normal capacity magazines?  Youse guys can't even carry hollowpoints, amirite?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]
NJ doesnt allow preban. My dad lives in MA and I would be buying them for him as a gift.

You cant carry in Nj period haha.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Thought Nolo had just won a case & someone got their carry permit in the Garden State.  Might check w/ him.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok I should clarify.

The law allows concealed permits to be issued.
The only people to get them are armed guards (duty use only), celebrities, and other highly connected people.
The average person isn't getting one. Occasionally some get issued after multiple court proceedings but its rare and cost prohibitive for most.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
What's a fair price? I found 6 in my stash that are preban.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's a fair price? I found 6 in my stash that are preban.
View Quote

Depends, when I got rid of mine I just traded 1 for 1.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
^ Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#14]
What dates are we looking for?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything before 9/94 stamped internally or externally. Technically if the mag doesn't have a date on it and does not say restricted for mil and  leo use only its good to go.
However, most guys in MA are gonna like to see dates just in case we ever get stopped and hassled.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Anything before 9/94 stamped internally or externally. Technically if the mag doesn't have a date on it and does not say restricted for mil and  leo use only its good to go.
However, most guys in MA are gonna like to see dates just in case we ever get stopped and hassled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, while more difficult and a hassle to prove, being from a manufacturer that stopped producing magazines before 9/94. Adventureline is one that comes to mind. There are others.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure when manufacturers started stamping the dates on GI magazines. I think the earliest dates on my pre-ban magazines are ##/91, but I have a half dozen or so with no markings at all, except on the baseplate. I can tell they're Okay mags, because the welds match up exactly with my marked Okays. I have two that are still unopened in the original plastic bags, which I remember buying for $20 each right after the ban went into effect.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought a couple prebans for my dad in MA. Okay mags internally stamped 88,89 and I think 91
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not sure when manufacturers started stamping the dates on GI magazines. I think the earliest dates on my pre-ban magazines are ##/91, but I have a half dozen or so with no markings at all, except on the baseplate. I can tell they're Okay mags, because the welds match up exactly with my marked Okays. I have two that are still unopened in the original plastic bags, which I remember buying for $20 each right after the ban went into effect.
View Quote

I have a few up here that are stamped 88 and 89. I believe they are OKAY, and Colt. I also have a undated OKAY, Its not an exact science i suppose
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Look for a date code on the Inside of your preban Okay mags.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Look for a date code on the Inside of your preban Okay mags.
View Quote

Yea, after checking all the OKAYs were dated but a lone cooper wasn't.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
So, in searching out pre-ban sale info I found this thread.  When I was in NY I bought about 29 pre-ban magazines.  After I moved I kept them (for visits), but with the passage of the SAFE ACT, these mags were no longer useful to me as pre-ban mags.  I would like to get them to people in a state that can use them (MASS?) and I would like to re-coup some of what I put into them.  I have 10 1977 Colt Mags (I have pictures somewhere).  No date codes, colt floorplates, and, I believe K5 or K7 stamped on the inside.  These were sold to me as NIB, but were not wrapped when they arrived.  I have not used them.  I have 7 Centerline Industries mags, NIW, with a date code of September 1992.  I also have 11 Adventureline mags and 1 FN mag.  Only identifiable by the floorplate.  

Any idea what a fair asking price would be?  I have seen a few places selling per-ban mags for ~$40.  I know that I paid $25 for the used mags, $30 for the Colts and about $40 for the NIW mags, so I have about $900 wrapped up here.  

What is a fair price?  I want to get these where they belong, but part of me just at the idea of taking a $600 bath here.  Also, can I just mail them to Mass.?  Need to go through a dealer or anything?

**THIS IS NOT A SALE AD.** Just trying to figure out what a fair price would be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, in searching out pre-ban sale info I found this thread.  When I was in NY I bought about 29 pre-ban magazines.  After I moved I kept them (for visits), but with the passage of the SAFE ACT, these mags were no longer useful to me as pre-ban mags.  I would like to get them to people in a state that can use them (MASS?) and I would like to re-coup some of what I put into them.  I have 10 1977 Colt Mags (I have pictures somewhere).  No date codes, colt floorplates, and, I believe K5 or K7 stamped on the inside.  These were sold to me as NIB, but were not wrapped when they arrived.  I have not used them.  I have 7 Centerline Industries mags, NIW, with a date code of September 1992.  I also have 11 Adventureline mags and 1 FN mag.  Only identifiable by the floorplate.  

Any idea what a fair asking price would be?  I have seen a few places selling per-ban mags for ~$40.  I know that I paid $25 for the used mags, $30 for the Colts and about $40 for the NIW mags, so I have about $900 wrapped up here.  

What is a fair price?  I want to get these where they belong, but part of me just at the idea of taking a $600 bath here.  Also, can I just mail them to Mass.?  Need to go through a dealer or anything?

**THIS IS NOT A SALE AD.** Just trying to figure out what a fair price would be.
View Quote

I've picked up a bunch here lately in the EE for a friend in Massachusetts for $16.50-18.50ea including shipping.  I send them straight to him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
i have one mag with zero dates or markings on it.  i wonder if its considered pre ban?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't Cali still allow magazine parts?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Nope, I remember they put an end to that back in 2013. Didn't stop me though
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought most pre-ban mags were not date stamped.  I have an old colt 20 rounder that I am pretty sure is pre-ban but there is no date stamp on it.  Any way to tell?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm no expert on this, but I believe the date stamps started in the late '80s and were definitely in full swing by 1990 (four years before the ban). Early on, some were stamped on the inside of the magazine, so that's something to check. However, I'm sure plenty of 20-rounders were made before the date stamping started, so it wouldn't surprise me if your Colt isn't marked.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in MA with a LTC-A and always on the hunt for pre-ban 30 rounders at a fair price.   Anyone looking to help a brother out, shoot me a pm!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I have about a dozen 30 round MINI-14 THERMOLD mags date stamped 89 in NOS condition.

I always wondered what they would be worth in a preban state.

Damn nice mag IF you are locked out from having real Ruger 30s.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I thought most pre-ban mags were not date stamped.  I have an old colt 20 rounder that I am pretty sure is pre-ban but there is no date stamp on it.  Any way to tell?
View Quote

I have a Colt 20 rounder with alloy follower and no date. It is preban; 20 rounders with alloy followers are generally considered Pre-ban.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:44:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a Colt 20 rounder with alloy follower and no date. It is preban; 20 rounders with alloy followers are generally considered Pre-ban.
View Quote

If I aint mistaken...yeah, they are old.
I have 2, both with alloy followers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#33]
What are 20 rounders going for? Always wanted one.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top