Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2016 5:23:22 PM EDT
I am looking for one of these mags in black.
Does anyone know where I can find one or two?

When where these mags introduced by magpul?
(The straight body style) I havle looked on the EE
several times and the only ones I have found is
the gen3s.

I have read that there were issues with gen2s 20s
in 5.56. Is that so?

Pm or email me if you have one.

Don
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
There were no Gen 2 20 rounders, only Gen 1 and Gen 3. Gen 1 being straight.

The EE is your best bet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
There were technically no issues with the straight. Magpul said in testing the curved M3 had less failures. Ive seen no complaints from real world users about reliability.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Only in EE. Average price is around $25.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the gen 1 20's as well. Fortunately I bought a few but would like to have more.

How many would we need to preorder to have Magpul dust off the gen 1 20 moulds?
10,000?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 3 of the old 20rd straight mags. Have never had a problem with them feeding or holding open on the last round.
Wish they would come back out in SAND.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
EE had some OD straight 20's, you could just dye black. I love them, and they are great. I do not like the esthetics of the m3 version.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EE had some OD straight 20's, you could just dye black. I love them, and they are great. I do not like the esthetics of the m3 version.
View Quote

There are some foliage listed currently as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Some black ones showed up in the ee

I dont know the seller but remember you were looking for black ones

ee link
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I miss the straight 20s, I have a few around here somewhere. I would buy more if available.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I miss the straight 20s, I have a few around here somewhere. I would buy more if available.
View Quote

They are all over the EE if you don't mind paying a premium for them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the premium price?  Supply and demand?  If the curved are better, seems the straight prices would be lower....I have some of the straight mags, would like to buy more.n but not at 25-30 per mag.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why the premium price?  Supply and demand?  If the curved are better, seems the straight prices would be lower....I have some of the straight mags, would like to buy more.n but not at 25-30 per mag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the premium price?

Magpul does not make them anymore

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why the premium price?

Magpul does not make them anymore  
View Quote

dp, i should have seen that round coming at me

I have a bunch in my stash, did not realize I am sitting in high cotton, its a southern thing!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I must warn you the strait 20s have a reputation for not always holding the bolt after the last round mine occasionally have this problem. but not always.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one.

Never any issues. THEN I got the BAD lever. Issues followed.

After a couple years the lever wouldnt tighten up to BHO, and i pulled it off and the issues went away.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please don't give in to buying discontinued Magpul products.  They are discontinued for a reason, and that is they continue to improve their products for something better in return.  Anything that they don't make anymore is like marked up by at least 300%.  It reminds me of people buying antiques knowing they are pieces of shit but pay a premium because the stuff doesn't get made anymore.  F93 stock, PMag odd colors, PMag 20 round Gen 1, all sold way above MSRP.  The gen 1 PMag 20 rounds have reported problems but people here still continue to desire them over their Gen 3 mags because they are shorter and they are straight.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Please don't give in to buying discontinued Magpul products.  They are discontinued for a reason, and that is they continue to improve their products for something better in return.  Anything that they don't make anymore is like marked up by at least 300%.  It reminds me of people buying antiques knowing they are pieces of shit but pay a premium because the stuff doesn't get made anymore.  F93 stock, PMag odd colors, PMag 20 round Gen 1, all sold way above MSRP.  The gen 1 PMag 20 rounds have reported problems but people here still continue to desire them over their Gen 3 mags because they are shorter and they are straight.
View Quote

HiPower shooters like 'em b/c they're legal in competition.  Some folks just like to collect things.  If you only collect things that are discontinued you don't have to worry about the value of your collection plunging.

I want a couple of 20 round straight mags just b/c they're not made anymore, not b/c I shoot HiPower.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I had issues with a straight 20rd pmag it wouldn't pick up the next round.  I sent it back to magpul for a new curved one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Please don't give in to buying discontinued Magpul products.  They are discontinued for a reason, and that is they continue to improve their products for something better in return.  Anything that they don't make anymore is like marked up by at least 300%.  It reminds me of people buying antiques knowing they are pieces of shit but pay a premium because the stuff doesn't get made anymore.  F93 stock, PMag odd colors, PMag 20 round Gen 1, all sold way above MSRP.  The gen 1 PMag 20 rounds have reported problems but people here still continue to desire them over their Gen 3 mags because they are shorter and they are straight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been using the straight 20's for years, with zero problems. I prefer them because they allow me to color code my ammo, allowing me to avoid tossing the wrong ammo into a rifle. For example, I use black mags for M193, FDE mags for Hornady 75gr TAP SBR, and OD will be used for whatever 5.56 precision ammo I find works best in the rifle I'm currently building. If MagPul made the curved 20's in colors other than black, I would use them. Since they don't however, I'll continue using the mags which haven't given me any issues and which work with the system I have put in place.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I must warn you the strait 20s have a reputation for not always holding the bolt after the last round mine occasionally have this problem. but not always.
View Quote

Mine has that issue, and it's worse when firing the rifle suppressed. It runs fine but will not engage the BHO about 60-70% of the time. None of my other magazines have that problem, but I only have GI aluminum and Gen2 PMag 30-rounders.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#22]
What's the going rate for the straight FDE 20 round mags?
I may have on a line on 2 and don't want to pay too much...
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I grabbed a few straight 20 PMAGs new years ago, mine always fed fine, VERY occasionally would not lock open. But never had that problem with any other mag including Brownells straight 20s.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got 4 in FDE, they all work great.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#25]
OP if you just want a nice strait 20 rounder look at Lancers 20 rounders I have 5 in smoke they run flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

OP if you just want a nice strait 20 rounder look at Lancers 20 rounders I have 5 in smoke they run flawlessly.
View Quote
The Lancer 20's are great, but they are still curved.  

I sold all my Gen1 straight 20's (some in FDE) for more than I paid.  I did have issues with bolt hold open sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I was looking at some CPD 20 rounders the other day just out of curiosity, since I have good luck with their 7.62x39 mags.

CPD doesn't list their 20 rounders on their corp website, only 30s, 10s & 5s. But on North River's website they show the aluminum 20 rounders as straight WITH an anti tilt follower. The old PMAGS were the only straight bodied mags I was aware of that had the anti tilt follower. Maybe the pic was a mistake, LCJ Wholesale's site is down right now so I can't compare. CPD 20 round 7.62x39 mags are curved so I thought it was odd their 5.56 20s would be straight.

EDIT: Found a few other sites and they all picture a CPD 5.56 20 as a curved mag. So it appears that early PMAGs were the only straight body 20s with an anti tilt follower.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was looking at some CPD 20 rounders the other day just out of curiosity, since I have good luck with their 7.62x39 mags.

CPD doesn't list their 20 rounders on their corp website, only 30s, 10s & 5s. But on North River's website they show the aluminum 20 rounders as straight WITH an anti tilt follower. The old PMAGS were the only straight bodied mags I was aware of that had the anti tilt follower. Maybe the pic was a mistake, LCJ Wholesale's site is down right now so I can't compare. CPD 20 round 7.62x39 mags are curved so I thought it was odd their 5.56 20s would be straight.

EDIT: Found a few other sites and they all picture a CPD 5.56 20 as a curved mag. So it appears that early PMAGs were the only straight body 20s with an anti tilt follower.
View Quote
That is not correct. See Just-Beard's quote above "The old MAG217 PMAG® 20, 5.56x45 – AR15/M16 worked well, but by virtue of its design that required a tilting follower for its straight body (such as in all straight-bodied mags)"
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#29]
That's interesting, cause my PMAG straight 20s don't feel like they have any tilt, just like my windowed gen 2 30s. Or maybe they just have a little tilt, but they certainly don't tilt like my Brownells Gi straight 20s.

But I'd always been told a straight 20 has to have a tilt follower, so I won't argue that either, makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
At $21 each new?  I can understand a premium but DAMN  It's salad days for mags.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]
New Old Stock.  The only 20s being produced by Magpul today are curved Gen 3s.  Supply is as fixed as the machine gun registry.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top