Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2016 9:49:51 AM EDT
So, I recently took up 3gun and noticed that literally everyone is using the same mags I do at matches...so it becomes difficult to separate who's mags are who's.

I recently looked into getting a laser etched mag or two so that mine are easy to distinguish.  Of course, if I do that, they have to be cool.  My wife decided she wants to get her "stripper pole" mags
http://shop.abreoncustom.com/Windowed-Stripper-Pole-1131.htm

So once I found those, I had to find ones for me.  I've been really trying to find one, but can't seem to find one that I like.  Big star wars nut myself, so that was what I was trying to find.  My question really comes down to this, I did find some stencils I like, but how well do pmags take to paint, and does it start to come off when they are fired / dropped all the time?  Should I use a particular type of paint?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
RIT dye is a popular choice.

Example from the refinishing forum: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_19/470583_First_attempt_at_RIT_dye.html
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
easiest solution and fast  just put a strip of duct tape around the base of the magazine to distinguish it's yours
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Yellow paint marker dot on mag, just above the base.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, i figured that if I was going to do it, I wanted to do something cool.  Thats why I was looking at using a stencil and paint or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I couldn't ever find any gray Pmags, so I just grabbed a cheap vinyl set off ebay and shot all several of them with gray Rustoleum (gray auto primer).

kinda looks like this:
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Get some of the SAND Pmags and RIT dye them your own color. I use Pearl Grey.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep a number of Sharpie paint pens around.  Every mag I own gets "tagged" either with my initials (for my go-to rifles/pistols) or with the firearm the mag goes with (hard to distinguish CZ from Beretta 92 mags just by looking).  Note the pic below.  That is my old competition AR, with the same Gen 2 PMAGs everyone else runs.  Initials and mag # in bright green.  Initials so I get them back, mag number so I can identify one if it craps the bed and dispose of properly (only had to do that with 2 very early Gen 1's that cracked at the back).

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get some of the SAND Pmags and RIT dye them your own color. I use Pearl Grey.
View Quote

This right here ^

Pearl Grey is real close to Magpul's Stealth Gray

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top